Forum Member

Cleaning the Glock 21

I have a G21. How often do you clean your weapon? I understand after firing it such as at the range but what if you don't get to the range but once every 3-4 months and did not fire it anytime since the last range day.

Would be interested in your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Forum Member
    I only clean my pistols about twice a year. I've had the G21 issued for about five months now and I've yet to clean it other than getting all the factory gunk out of it. Shoots fine.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by medicmster View Post
    ......what if you don't get to the range but once every 3-4 months and did not fire it anytime since the last range day.

Would be interested in your thoughts on this. Thank you.
    Sounds like you need to get to the range more.

If you can't then just take a look at it monthly. No cleaning necessary unless you see a problem.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Resident Misanthrope
    I only clean it after I shoot.There are times when I work in a very dusty environment and I will clean off the dust to keep it from accumulatiing but thats it.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member

Every month you should field strip your gun, spray it out with non-chlorinated break cleaner, then let it dry and put a small bit of lithium grease on the rails, spread a drop around the barrel (on the outside) then reassemble & reload.

Do this regardless of your using the weapon or not.

If you only clean your gun 2 or 3 times a year, you are either not training with it enough (assuming you do not have a dedicated training gun) or you are betting your life on a gun you are not properly maintaining.

The first is negligent.

The second is merely stupid.

Forum Member
    Depends on your environment and how harsh it is on your weapon.

I don't think you need Gun Scrubber or the non-chlorinated brake cleaner on a monthly basis if you're not shooting it every month. Also, I think Gun Scrubber used to have a warning cautioning using their product around polymer or plastic. I don't use the stuff and I carry a 1911, not a Glock, XD or anything else that is polymer. I've heard stories where sometimes it softens the plastic, sometimes not. I've never seen it happen, though.

If you clean your weapon after you shoot, make sure you clean every part you can reach with a brush, patch or q-tip. I'll echo Mitchell's comment about having a rubbed down drop of oil on the barrel and slide, though. Of PARAMOUNT importance, once it's clean, is to do a function check of your weapon. This ensures you've put things back together correctly and it works the way it is supposed to.

If you don't have a harsh environment where it needs to be cleaned with gun oil, bore brushes and whatnot; and you don't fire often enough, it would be nice to at least run a rag over the weapon and maybe put a dry patch through the barrel to make sure the dust bunnies don't clog your weapon.

Then of course, the ubiquitous comment that you'd need to get out and shoot some more!

P.S. I just noticed you're a reserve, which may indicate why you don't get a chance to shoot as much. Still, I would recommend the above.
    Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 09-21-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Depends on your environment and how harsh it is on your weapon.

I don't think you need Gun Scrubber or the non-chlorinated brake cleaner on a monthly basis if you're not shooting it every month. Also, I think Gun Scrubber used to have a warning cautioning using their product around polymer or plastic. I don't use the stuff and I carry a 1911, not a Glock, XD or anything else that is polymer. I've heard stories where sometimes it softens the plastic, sometimes not. I've never seen it happen, though.
    With the amount of gun scrubber & break cleaner I've sprayed through my Glock, if I was going to have issues, I'd have had them already.

Forum Member
    But, is there or is there not, a warning on the can that cautions against use on plastic or polymer or something to that affect?

Edit: I just looked on Birchwood's website and they make a product called "Gun Scrubber® Synthetic Safe Cleaner" touting it "will not harm plastic, wood, laminates, composites, rubber grips or any other material used in the construction of today's firearms". But, that is a product SEPARATE from Gun Scrubber and brake cleaner, so I assume it must be possible to damage certain things on firearms.

When all else fails, ask a local gunsmith. They will tell you SPECIFICALLY what to do. Or I can always just give you the cleaning instructions from the Glock Armorer Manual.
    Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 09-21-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
    Every month you should field strip your gun, spray it out with non-chlorinated break cleaner.....
    IMHO that is total overkill. With most modern weapons more damage is done by over-cleaning that by not cleaning.

If you have not fired, field strip, blow it out, lube if needed and re-assemble. If you have fired, wipe it down, punch the barrel and lube it up (per Glock manual). You shouldn't be firing corrosive ammo through a Glock anyway (this aint a Chinese SKS here). So a little carbon left in a crevise won't kill it. The main purpose of cleaning after firing is to inspect for wear or breakage. Glock's will run a LOOONG time dirty. No so long if you compromise the integrity of the plastic. Since it's got a lifetime warranty, I would contact Glock and see what they have to say about the brake cleaner. If you have a frame failure and they test the plastic (I would bet they would) you may be SOL if you are using harsh solvents that are not intended for firearms use.

Always remember, just because you CAN dosent mean you SHOULD.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Forum Member

I have to agree with Blackdog. Modern weapons like the glock don't need overkill on them to keep them in perfect running order. Unless you shoot often or are in a harsh environment you don't need to clean them every week. Glocks are not 1911's. Glocks require very little oil. Over oiling will cause more problems than not. Use your manual to maintenance your glock. As long as you do that you'll be ok. I shoot (A LOT) and I keep my guns clean, but I'm not going to have a cow if I miss a cleaning session. I spend a lot of time on the water so I wipe my glock 21 down frequently, but never over oil it. I know some police officers that only take their gun out of the holster when it's time to qualify. I can't tell you some of the scary things I've seen when they pull out a magazine from their pouch, but they never fail to qualify.

i just do what I am told.

I field strip.
    Clean (polish) the feed ramp (after shooting A LOT).
    Clean barrel in and out.
    Make sure no residue or brass fragments in either of the two main parts.
    Clean off all of the gunk on the outside and clean my nice ninja tac light.
    Oil two spots on the frame.
    Lightly oil rails on slide with my finger.
    Use oily rag to clean outside of barrel and it receives residue oil.
    Assemble.
    Clean/polish outside of gun.
    Load.
    Holster.

Repeat after 200+ rounds.

Forum Member

Thank you

I would like to say thank you for all the responses.

Yes, I am a reserve and therefore am not able to get out to the range as much as I would like too; however, I believe I need to make a stronger case to the powers that be that due to the fact that we only qualify every 3 months that I need to shoot more often to get even remotely adequate.

I have only had my G21 since May of this year and have field striped it and thoroughly cleaned it twice but I have taken it out several times in between and wiped it down and "dusted" the holster and mags.

Again, thank you.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by medicmster View Post
    Yes, I am a reserve and therefore am not able to get out to the range as much as I would like too; however, I believe I need to make a stronger case to the powers that be that due to the fact that we only qualify every 3 months that I need to shoot more often to get even remotely adequate.
    If you think you can only shoot when the "powers that be" hold a qual you are going to be in trouble when the ball drops. Get a range membership, find a place to shoot and/or join IDPA/IPSC and get behind the gun.

The only thing that prevents me from shooting more than I do is the price of gas and bullets.

Forum Member

Prior to my first shift of the week, (4-10's) I strip, wipe, and function check both my primary and BUG. Whenever I shoot, I strip, clean, scrub, blow, wipe, oil, function check, pray to the weapon gods, you name it! I try to go shooting once a month, sometimes more and sometimes less. My belief is simple. Regardless of how often you fire, you need to maintain your tools. Before every shift, we test our lights, check our oil, check our fuel, test our tasers, etc. Our weapons are just as important. We forget about them because they are rarely if EVER used, but they are still a tool to be maintained.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
    If you think you can only shoot when the "powers that be" hold a qual you are going to be in trouble when the ball drops. Get a range membership, find a place to shoot and/or join IDPA/IPSC and get behind the gun.

The only thing that prevents me from shooting more than I do is the price of gas and bullets.
    Dry fire a few minutes each day with a coin on the front sight is cheap practice and something I try to do regularly.

If you can keep the coin balanced for 6 or more times in a row, you are good to go for that session.

Forum Member

Mitchell - come on, that's not even a stretch for a glock. Keep in mind these are not rounded slides like on a 1911, but a square flat top that you could put a coin on and do back flips without it moving.

Your technique works for revolvers, and rounded slides, but for the flat top slides of many of the polymer duty weapons, it's a sad alternative to going out and shooting.

Forum Member
    Not the front of the SLIDE, bro. BALANCING on top of the front SIGHT.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Civilian Sheepdog
    Another how often do you clean your guns thread from Dec '07

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77926

Personally, each time after shooting I clean the barrel to get that recently been fired smell out.

If you use cheap stuff like Bear or Wolf or any ammo that is laquer coated, I'd run a wire brush through it to get the laquer crud out of the chamber. It builds up and cases won't eject properly causing jams.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Forum Member
    I clean my Glock 22 every time I go shooting. Depending on the weather, I would do a quick check on my firearm. If I been out in the rain all day, I take her home, field strip it and give it a look over, and apply any oil where it needs to be.

I treat my firearm like I treat my paintball guns. I take care of her, they better take care of me.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
    I treat my firearm like I treat my paintball guns. I take care of her, they better take care of me.
    Treating your tools and toys the same is not exactly a commendable practice. My paintball gun has been in a bag somewhere in the house for the last six years. I am not exactly sure where it's at and quite certain that even at it's peak (it's a VM-68 if you remember those) it wasn't as reliable as my worst firearm.

Paintball guns are toys. They are used to play games. The guns we talk about here are tools used to take (or save) lives.

BTW, just out of curiosity...where in Chicago can you carry as a non-sworn officer?

Forum Member

Blackdog F4I-
    I am not exactly sure where it's at and quite certain that even at it's peak (it's a VM-68 if you remember those) it wasn't as reliable as my worst firearm.
    Yup I do remembr those, in fact I have two sitting at home with me. I love to take one out to the PB field and see the looks on the kids face when they try and figure out what it is.
    Forti Fors Bona

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Not the front of the SLIDE, bro. BALANCING on top of the front SIGHT.
    What he said.