Forum Member

Sig P229 (.357) vs. Glock 23 (.40 Cal)

Knowing that there are fans of both Glock and Sig Sauer here on this board, and not wanting to incite an arguement, I would like your opinions of the Law Enforcement use of these weapons. What are the good points? What are the bad? Is the .40 Cal a better LE round than the .357Sig or vice versa? Things like that.

Senior Veteran

You're really comparing apples and oranges here as you are asking for an opinion of two different weapons AND two different calibers. For instance, if you asked to compare a .40 cal Sig to a .40 cal Glock then you could make a comparison. Or a .357 Sig versus a .40 Sig. But to compare a .357 Sig versus a .40 cal Glock leaves too many variables.

Obviously, I prefer Glocks as duty weapons. They are simple, reliable, indestructible, and have very few parts to break. But this doesn't mean that I don't respect the SIG as a quality duty weapon for all of the same reasons (except the very few parts).

Also, I carry a .40 cal duty weapon because this is mandated by my agency. I am confident in the 180 grain Hydrashoks we carry. But at the same time, I would feel just as confident carrying the hot .357 load.

It boils down to this...Shoot both guns in both calibers and pick the one that fits you best.

G.A.

------------------
    No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista
    No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Forum Member
    Check out the thread on this board reference the 9mm. There is a lot of good information on caliber in there. Looking at ballistics tests, both of these rounds will perform adequatly enough to stop an attacker, providing you select a good bullet and place your shots well. The one benefit to the .357SIG is that it performs well through barriers, outclassing many other calibers out there. Drawbacks to the .357SIG are that it is more expensive to shoot and it's quite loud with a big muzzle flash. I personally think the recoil is less than a .40, but other people say the opposite.

GA is right when he says to shoot both guns, as YOUR opinion is the only one that matters in the end. Neither of these weapons will fall apart on you (although you will have to take better care of the Sig to ensure it doesn't rust...especially if you are in a damp environment), and will perform quite well.

My personal preference is with the Sig. The Ohio Highway Patrol just concluded an exhausting test of weapons, and the Sig 226 in .40 was #1, followed by the 229 in the #2 slot. Not sure how the Glock faired, but it performed at an acceptable level, IIRC (although nowhere near the score the Sigs had). I don't have a link to that test, but it has been mentioned in several Law Enforcement Gun Magazines.

I would also suggest that you look at the P226. It's a larger framed gun that is best suited for duty carry. You shouldn't turn yourself off to the 9mm either. It has its own set of strengths, although many people mistakenly view it as a whimp round.

Good luck in your decision...the most important thing is to buy the weapon that feels best in YOUR hands, not what we like.

Banned

I am required to carry an issued P226 Sig Saur 9mm pistol. It has never jammed and is reasonably accurate. I am extremely comfortable with it and can shoot it blindfolded (don't try this folks).

I own a small Glock .40 caliber, but have only shot it once. Consequently, I don't know it like the back of my hand. It seemed to be more accurate than my Sig Saur P226. I am impressed with the non-rusting, durable plastic components. I have also heard so many favorable things about the Glock that I wish we were issued them. I would love to train with one.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by me again:
    I am required to carry an issued P226 Sig Saur 9mm pistol. It has never jammed and is reasonably accurate.
    I can't quite do it yet, but I have heard of people getting 2" groups with their 226 at 50 yards. I can only get 5". If your P226 can't perform like this, then there is something wrong with your gun. As good as Glocks are, it shouldn't be as accurate as a Sig...especially a 'small' .40.

Forum Member

Approx two years ago we switched from Sig 9mm pistols to Sig .357SIG pistols. Since then we have been very pleased. The sound from the muzzle is quite loud, but recoil is no greater than that of the 124 gr +P+ load we were previously carrying. The round is manageable even for our weakest shooters.

The ammunition is however expensive, but prices have been dropping since more agencies, local and federal, have begun to make the switch. We were the first department in our area to go to this round and one other has followed.

If anyone is interested in information about the .357SIG round contact me as I have a folder worth of articles.

No Longer Active

Ditto what GA said.........why look at one gun in one caliber and the other in a different caliber?

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Where am I to go now that I've gone too far.

Mark THG
    Both pistols are superb weapons.
    I just qualified with my Glock 23 for the department.
    The 23 holds 13+1 with full capacity magazines. It is very light and accuracy is good. The sigs are more accurate I think. I once had a Sig 239 in .40 and couldn't hit a thing with it. I know it was me as the gun shot fine for another guy using the same ammo and distance.
    As for caliber, the .40 has been out for a while and there several different loads available. The .357 is still a fairly new round and the ammo choices are limited . Another consideration is resale. A .40 caliber weapon is easier to sell than the .357. If your department allows it get a .40 in whatever make you want and get a second barrel from the factory in te .357. The magazines for both calibers should be the same. You'll have a second caliber in the same gun and no difference in manual of arms. If you decide to sell the gun at a later date you will have a 2 caliber package .

Forum Member

well donut, my preference is the Sig. The Sig. 229 is a 40 but the barrel can be changed over for the 357. For me the grip and shape/weight of gun is like it was made for my hand. You have double and single action and decocker. smooth all the way around. Personally never had any mechanical difficulty with Sig. Now the Glock on the other hand feels un-balanced. The plastic gun with metal barrel, the wieght feels wrong and have notice a real problem with misfires. You take them out and see what difference you notice. I would like to hear your opinion.....
    Originally posted by Donut2000:
    Knowing that there are fans of both Glock and Sig Sauer here on this board, and not wanting to incite an arguement, I would like your opinions of the Law Enforcement use of these weapons. What are the good points? What are the bad? Is the .40 Cal a better LE round than the .357Sig or vice versa? Things like that.

Forum Member

Ive never fired that glock, however I have fired the SIG while I was training with the ATF, and it is a smoothe weapon. Most of the federal agencies are issued them and they are supposed to be really reliable. I like the feel of it and its size.

------------------
    Explorer Chief
    Streamwood, IL
    scotchrick05@yahoo.com
    Explorer Chief
    Streamwood, IL
    scotchrick05@yahoo.com

O.com's #2 trouble maker

As an instructor with experience using both company's handguns, I can tell you that for ME, the muzzle rise with a Glock...in ANY caliber...is LESS than a SIG in the same caliber, due simply to the Glock having a lower bore to hand placement. This will translate into faster shot to shot hits on target.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division