X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x19delta
    God Bless your service!
    • Jun 2004

Opinions of Reserve Police Officers...

What is everyones opinon of Reserve Police Officers? Does sworn officers look down on them or what?
    In my opinion, they are still doing the same dangerous job as a sworn officer, the only difference I see is that the reserve officer doesnt get paid to get shot at. What does everyone on here think?
    "Americans sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
  • JHoek
    One *** To Risk
    • Feb 2005

It all depends on the particular reserve officers. I was a reserve for two years prior to becoming the real deal. I noticed that some reserves only did it so that they could get a badge and gun to look "cool", others couldn't pass an academy so this was the closest they could get to being an LEO.

A few, myself included, used the position as a stepping stone and experience builder, into a certified position. And the others just wanted to give back to their community, but can not devote all their time to a full time position.

All in all, I think reserves are great, they provide police services at minimal cost to a city/county and also give a lot back to the community. Its just a matter of weeding out the ones only in it for a badge and gun.

Comment

• blueronin
      Enroute
      • Sep 2005

Here in ohio, it all depends on the particular officer and his dept. In some towns reserves (we call them auxilliary officers), are nothing more than extra manpower for the more less important jobs. They direct traffic for parades or constuction jobs. Answer lockouts, etc. Some are trained with the shotgun. Some don't even get that. On the other hand others are fully sworn officers and have full powers. Usually in smaller towns and such. All of our Aux are treated just like the regular officers, same uniforms, weapons, everything. But they have all been through the acadamy, fully trained. The former I think have little or no training. A guy I know who works for one of the east suburbs of Cleveland tells me that the auxillary officers in his dept are not allowed in certain areas of the station. In addition they have a lounge for officers to take breaks in, however the aux officers are barred from using it. In addition, their local rec center allows the regular officers free full use of their facility. Aux officers have to pay to join. Now that sucks
      "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

• kingsman
        The questor
        • Aug 2003

well, isn't this timely.

I just got a letter today asking me to come in for my oral boards to become a reserve officer for a local PD.

This the same day I get the letter from the State police to come in and take the civil service exam.

Civil service exam on Tuesday, oral boards on wendsday. Should be interesting.
        Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

• hiroller
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2005

Reserves are and can be awesome to help take the BS paper. All of our reserves have been through the academy or went through the 3 levels of training....We have some officers who think down on reserves as if they are security guards...But our department hires mainly from the reserve force. So the later useually respect them. I know a lot of full time sworn that have a major ego ect.......We all bleed and die the same.....God bless the brotherhood......and the security guard...just kidding on the last....

Comment

• PhilipCal
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2004

Reserve Officers

Depends on the department,the Reserve Program, and the individual Officers.Some departments have absolutely awesome reserve programs, and the Reserve Officer is held to the same recruiting/training standards as a full time Officer. LAPD is such an agency. I know of a couple Sheriff's Departments here in Alabama where the full time Deputies would have no off-days where it not for some part time, or Reserve Deputies. In the case of the latter, these are fully trained and certified Officers. They do make a difference.Alabama DPS has a Reserve Trooper Program, which I have posted on previously. These Officers are required to meet training requirements not those of a full-time Trooper. They are armed, and can exercise powers as Peace Officers while under the supervision of a full-time Trooper. They are unpaid, and must work 16 hours per month.

Comment

• Caspertoo
              Sh*t Magnet
              • Dec 2004

Totally depends on the department and state you live in. In Oregon there is a state mandated minimum training for a reserve officer, but most departments go beyond that.

My department depends on their reserves and has a huge hiring rate of their reserves. PPB uses their reserves on a big scale and lets them go ride solo and take lower priority calls.

Great stepping stone to full time, that is if your department and state look highly upon the reserves.
              Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

• dvsmnstr
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2005

I agree with everyone else here, if you do the same job you should be treated the same. Here in NJ most towns call aux guys class I or class II specials. SLEO II/SLEO I. Class two guys go through the same academy as the full timers and have full police power & carry but only on a part time gig. If you go through the 650 hours of SLEO II training alot of towns will waive you so you don't have to go back to the academy.

Like a few other guys said this is a great stepping stone in a LE career.

Comment

• GrayW4442
                  No Longer Active
                  • Mar 2004

In Memphis most of our reserves are higher paid buisiness men who want to be a Police Officer. Most are older and stay on because the city pays thier health insurance and pays them one dollar a year. Now I could go and start bashing our reserves like I want to, but I'll leave that alone. Lets just say I dont have much respect for the majority of them. Hell we had one so old he would ride around the fair on a "hovaround" no bull$hit!!

Comment

• Frank Booth

What is everyones opinon of Reserve Police Officers? Does sworn officers look down on them or what?
                    In my opinion, they are still doing the same dangerous job as a sworn officer, the only difference I see is that the reserve officer doesnt get paid to get shot at. What does everyone on here think?
                    Reserves do NOT do the same job as real police officers. Real police officers do the job for (at least) 40 hours a week and depend on the job to support their families. In order to do that for 25 years, they have to to deal with situations that no reserve has to put up with. That factor alone makes a night and day difference in real police officers vs. reserves. Real police officers put up with a hell of a lot more crap, both inside and outside of the police station, which causes a hell of a lot more stress, than any reserve has to deal with.

The scab issue: If there is ONE police officer from a department who is layed off, and ONE reserve is working an event or patrol or whatever, the reserve is a SCAB! Nothing less. As far as I'm concerned, the same goes when you have 10 police officers and 10 reserves working an event. If a city can't find a way to hold an event safely with 10 police officers and no reserves, they shouldn't hold the event in the first place.

This is my job and how I feed my family. I'd love to see how the UAW would react if a bunch of people walked into a union shop and started doing a union job for free one day a week.

Currently, there are a couple hundred Detroit cops layed off. Lets see how many reserves are working the Superbowl this year for free and take a poll as to what they'd think of cops working for free at THEIR jobs if they were layed off and scrambling to find another way to support their families.

Comment

• GrayW4442
                      No Longer Active
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                      Reserves do NOT do the same job as real police officers. Real police officers do the job for (at least) 40 hours a week and depend on the job to support their families. In order to do that for 25 years, they have to to deal with situations that no reserve has to put up with. That factor alone makes a night and day difference in real police officers vs. reserves. Real police officers put up with a hell of a lot more crap, both inside and outside of the police station, which causes a hell of a lot more stress, than any reserve has to deal with.

The scab issue: If there is ONE police officer from a department who is layed off, and ONE reserve is working an event or patrol or whatever, the reserve is a SCAB! Nothing less. As far as I'm concerned, the same goes when you have 10 police officers and 10 reserves working an event. If a city can't find a way to hold an event safely with 10 police officers and no reserves, they shouldn't hold the event in the first place.

This is my job and how I feed my family. I'd love to see how the UAW would react if a bunch of people walked into a union shop and started doing a union job for free one day a week.

Currently, there are a couple hundred Detroit cops layed off. Lets see how many reserves are working the Superbowl this year for free and take a poll as to what they'd think of cops working for free at THEIR jobs if they were layed off and scrambling to find another way to support their families.
                      Amen Brother!!

Comment

• Rattel
                        R/SGT in Darkest Africa
                        • May 2005

I am sorry for you guys who dislike reservists, most of us are only there to help, there are those that are cowboys and they tend to give the rest of us a bad name.

I
                        If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

• Frank Booth

In SA there is a shortage of officers so we are helping to hold the line, very often having reservists work means the difference between having a response vehicle on the air to respond to complaints, patrol and do crime prevention.
                          Sounds like South Africa needs to hire more cops.

Function: noun
                          1 : a worker who refuses to join a labor union
                          2 : a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended
                          3 : a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike : STRIKE BREAKER
                          4 : one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms
                          [QUOTE]I am a volunteer I don
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2005, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Rattel
                            R/SGT in Darkest Africa
                            • May 2005

Hi Frank

True we do need to hire more cops, the state has increased the number of courses held per year to try and get more members into the service.

We don
                            If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

• Frank Booth

My point was, no matter what you "see" while you're volunteering as a reserve, you're about as likely to experience the real police lifestyle and all that that entails from volunteering as a reserve as you are to learn what serving 25 years in the penitentiary is like by spending a couple days a month for 25 years in solitary confinement. Personally, I don't think I could handle the former, while I would consider the latter a vacation. Police reserves might look like police officers, but the similarities most often end there.

[QUOTE]I don
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12180 users online. 72 members and 12108 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...