Forum Member

Training at Volk Field

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has taken any of the free training courses offered at NCTC at Volk Field. I'm curious about the quality of the training and the residential facilities. I am taking a couple of courses in February and would like a heads up if I should find my own lodging/food. Thanks in advance.

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by WIpo-po View Post
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has taken any of the free training courses offered at NCTC at Volk Field. I'm curious about the quality of the training and the residential facilities. I am taking a couple of courses in February and would like a heads up if I should find my own lodging/food. Thanks in advance.
    The training at Volk Field is absolutely fantastic. The NCTC guys put on one heck of a good program. Volk Field has recently upgraded residential facilities so they aren't the old barracks they used to be. All in all, it is very worth the time and effort to attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member
    I agree, its good training and you can't beat the price. Although last time I was there the food was something to be desired. I just bought some stuff from the store on base and used the microwave in the room to cook it. The rooms also have fridges.

Forum Member

Training at Volk Field

I was there several years back and agree that the training was top notch. I took the Basic Warrant Execution course. I think some people may refer to it jokingly as the Volk Field Hotel. I had my own dorm room. I don't recall at the moment if I shared a bathroom with one other person or not. The food was just fine. As I am sure you are very well aware, this is located in a very rural area of Wisconsin right off Interstate 94. Depending on your interests in the evening after class, you may want to give some thought on what to bring or what to do. I doubt you will do much outside in February, but some people do run in February. I seem to recall that there was access to some sort of exercise equipment on base. If you like to read, bring books ahead of time since the nearest bookstore of any size is probably an hour away in Wisconsin Dells. Also, if you like movies, the nearest theater is about an hour away in the Dells as well. I don't think I had a laptop computer to bring with me at the time I was there, but they probably have a computer lab or a means to connect to the internet in the dorm room. To give you an idea of how long ago since I was there, the movie "SWAT" was in the theaters. According to a movie website, that makes it about August 2003. You will likely meet some classmates that similar interests to you, so you may want to bring business cards, patches to trade if you are into that, etc. They had a little shop on base to buy souvenir NCTC T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. If you need to get shampoo, toothpaste, etc. they have a base exchange, of course, or Wal-Mart is a little bit of a drive to Tomah. Security is pretty tight on base. Make sure you have you documents with you ready to show the SPs at the gate when you arrive, as well as department photo identification. I have also been to Emmitsburg MD and Mount Weather, but I think Volk Field beats them both hands down as far as facilities, go.

You will learn a lot, have a great time, and meet some great people there!

Gang Tactic Mode

I echo everyone else's experiences about NCTC and Volk Field. I was there about 5-6 years ago. When I was there I had my own room, but had to share a bathroom with one other guy. There was a modest but adequate weight facility on base. There was also a bar on base too. Meals were served at the cafeteria.

The Dells is about 40 minutes away, but Tomah is less than 20 minutes out. Lots of bars in Tomah if you are into that type of thing. Tomah also has a movie theatre, lots of restaurants, and a variety of stores.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Interceptor
    I was there a week ago for TLO training. The rooms are fine and have both a microwave and refrigerator in them. Shared bathroom and shower with the next room. If you are not a recluse then you should be fine with the rooms. Food was fine, not gourmet but not slop either. Quality of training is dependant on who is giving the training. Classroom was nice and had all the electronics for powerpoint.

Bottom line, well worth it to attend based on the facility. And the price can't be beat.

On the level...
    I second all of that! I was there for two days of that TLO training and was very pleased. I was there about two years ago from NCTC's Interview & Interrogation class and was happy then too.

If you are up for it, make the 15 minute drive to Tomah in your off time. There are a bunch of restaurants and little shops. It's a nice little town.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by streetshark394 View Post
    I was there a week ago for TLO training. The rooms are fine and have both a microwave and refrigerator in them. Shared bathroom and shower with the next room. If you are not a recluse then you should be fine with the rooms. Food was fine, not gourmet but not slop either. Quality of training is dependant on who is giving the training. Classroom was nice and had all the electronics for powerpoint.

Bottom line, well worth it to attend based on the facility. And the price can't be beat.