X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillBrink
    LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    • Jul 2006

Don't bring golf club to gun fight

Utah SWAT team serves no knock warrant on suspected meth dealer, meth dealer decides to meet entry team with golf club...

Police video shows how drug raid turned deadly

By Erin Alberty

The Salt Lake Tribune

Shouts break the evening silence.

“Police! Search warrant!”

Officers burst through the door. A man appears across the room. Metal glints from his clasped hands. Shots echo from a police-issue Glock 22. Todd Blair slumps to the floor.

“Five seconds,” said Blair’s mother, Arlean. “In five seconds, he was dead.”

Officers entered Blair’s home Sept. 16 during a drug raid when he stepped into the hall, wielding a golf club, police video shows. Ogden police Sgt. Troy Burnett shot Blair, 45, in the head and chest.

The shooting was deemed legally justified.

“They could have handled it a lot better,” Arlean Blair countered. “They could have tasered him. They could have done a lot of things other than shoot him.”

Investigation reports obtained by The Tribune depict an operation that took some unexpected turns away from protocol before that one explosive moment.

Cont:

- Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com
  • M1garand
    Forum Member
    • May 2009

I think someone already beat you to the same topic.

Comment

• ArmyDiver
      Overly Opinionated
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by M1garand
      I think someone already beat you to the same topic.
      At least this one includes a back story.

Originally posted by WillBrink
      The shooting was deemed legally justified.

“They could have handled it a lot better,” Arlean Blair countered. “They could have tasered him. They could have done a lot of things other than shoot him.”
      Legally justified. Ms Blair, you're son could have handled his life a lot better as well and he would still be alive. Perhaps if your son hadn't been a drug dealer/manufacturer he'd still be alive. But sure, blame the police for their actions and ignore your son's choices that led up to the event. Typical.
      I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
      - Mark Twain

Comment

• creolecop
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2007

Outstanding shot Sgt. Burnette from the no hesitation in the decision to the head and chest shots (which is our POST training standard in Louisiana). As for his mother what can you say she doesn't know police tactics and is a victim of TV and thinks well they tase other people why couldn't they tase him. You just have to let a mothers words in a situation like this go in one ear and out the other.
        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

• Kilo88
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2010

Lol, I like how one of the officers said get on the ground after the suspect had been shot and was laying on the ground.

Gun vs a golf club? Yeah, it seems way unfair which is why his mom is upset, but perhaps as others have said she should be upset at the stupidity of her son.

Comment

• ArmyDiver
            Overly Opinionated
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Kilo88

Gun vs a golf club? Yeah, it seems way unfair
            Blunt force trauma, closed head injury, caved in scull, broken neck, jaw, face. Aside from death and disfigurement, I can't imagine what type of threat a guy hopped up on meth could possible pose while wielding a golf club. What happens when he swings, breaks it on the officers helmet, and now possesses a 3 foot long spear.

Stupid kills and this guy had a serious case of it. Between being a drug dealer/manufacturer and then his actions during the raid, I feel ten times more pity for the officer that had to shoot him than I do for the guy who got shot.

I understand a mothers love is a mothers love and she's going to be upset. But she has to look at the situation from outside the box. Anyone who does will see it was perfectly legitimate and that's why it was ruled as such.
            I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

• WillBrink
              LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Kilo88
              Gun vs a golf club? Yeah, it seems way unfair
              I should hope so. Who said it was supposed to be fair? As someone said "if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

• JohnnyPA
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2007

You are all ok with no knock warrants? Within 5 seconds of kicking open a door the police start shooting? Really? Would you be ok if a well trained individual was able to effectively return fire after armed individual in black gear kicked in his door?

I am a 100% law abiding citizen and I am scared to death of these typpes of entries. If I were in the homeowners situation I would also most likely be dead as I would respond to someone kicking in my door with immediate deadly force no matter what they shouted. There are way too many stories of the police (and imposters) kicking down the wrong doors and murdering inocent people for no knock warrants to be the law of the land.

I seem to recall a different tune being sung on this forum when a fed in Pittsburgh was killed by a homeowner while serving one of these warrants.

Comment

• LA DEP
                  Molon Labe
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by WillBrink
                  I should hope so. Who said it was supposed to be fair? As someone said "if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
                  "fair" is where you go for cotton candy and step in monkey poo.....
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• LA DEP
                    Molon Labe
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by JohnnyPA
                    You are all ok with no knock warrants? Within 5 seconds of kicking open a door the police start shooting? Really? Would you be ok if a well trained individual was able to effectively return fire after armed individual in black gear kicked in his door?

I am a 100% law abiding citizen and I am scared to death of these typpes of entries. If I were in the homeowners situation I would also most likely be dead as I would respond to someone kicking in my door with immediate deadly force no matter what they shouted. There are way too many stories of the police (and imposters) kicking down the wrong doors and murdering inocent people for no knock warrants to be the law of the land.

I seem to recall a different tune being sung on this forum when a fed in Pittsburgh was killed by a homeowner while serving one of these warrants.
                    Well, if you werent dead at that point, you would be within 15-20 years after the state sticks a needle in your arm and puts you to sleep.
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• Murf425
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2010

I have to agree with Johnny on this one...scary stuff.
                      Last edited by Murf425; 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM.
                      Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                      Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

• JohnnyPA
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2007

Please don't get me wrong. I would absolutely never wish harm upon an officer. However, in my acknowledged uninformed opinion, no-knock warrants are too risky for all involved.

The police should not be able to put somebody else at a greater risk of harm to minimize their own risk. If someone kicks in my door in the middle of the night, I am assuming ill intent until I see otherwise.

I am not trying to be dense, but why should an officer get the benefit of the doubt after breaking into a private residence, but not a startled homeowner. If the grandmother in Atlanta who was murdered by the police while serving a no-knock survived should she have been prosecuted?

Comment

• HeadDoc
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ArmyDiver
                          Blunt force trauma, closed head injury, caved in scull, broken neck, jaw, face. Aside from death and disfigurement, I can't imagine what type of threat a guy hopped up on meth could possible pose while wielding a golf club.
                          I don't have to imagine it. Dealing with head injuries is my job. They were absolutely right to shoot him and in the cops' place I would have shot him too. Don't want to get shot? Start by not manufacturing meth and finish by not attacking armed police.
                          "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                          But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                          "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                          We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

• Chaplain Keppy
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2003

We just had a case in my area where the murder weapon was a golf club. It absolutely can be a lethal weapon.
                            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

• Taylor13
                              Macho Man
                              • Jun 2008

He should be shot anyway for making/dealing meth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12116 users online. 74 members and 12042 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...