PDA

View Full Version : Do cops take breaks?

mruiz46
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, working 8-12 hour shifts, do you take breaks? Can you stop at a certain point to eat lunch, or lets say dinner. What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered

mdyoung7
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Well, working 8-12 hour shifts, do you take breaks? Can you stop at a certain point to eat lunch, or lets say dinner. What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered

bigger departments you call out for lunch.

i work for a smaller department so we eat when we can, if we get a call, dinner is over. As far as bathroom breaks, go when ya have 2

Hoosier_Boy
09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Ever seen Smokey and the Bandit?

That's a 10-100 and a 10-200...

mruiz46
09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
bigger departments you call out for lunch.

i work for a smaller department so we eat when we can, if we get a call, dinner is over. As far as bathroom breaks, go when ya have 2

When you say "call out for lunch" you mean you radio in and request a lunch break?

Hoosier_Boy
09-10-2008, 04:13 PM
For me it's 10-6...

mruiz46
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
For me it's 10-6...

What does

10-100, 10-200

10-6 mean???

SgtCHP
09-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Haven't you driven by a donut shop or a coffee shop? Perhaps a KFC or McDonalds? :p

mruiz46
09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Haven't you driven by a donut shop or a coffee shop? Perhaps a KFC or McDonalds? :p

yeah.. i've never seen a cop on break in florida ever.. lol.

Seriously, whats the deal with breaks

Hoosier_Boy
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
The deal is any time I'm not on a call, or doing paper work, I'm on break.

deputy x 2
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
We have to get in line for meals..the dispatcher will "okay" it..depending on the calls pending. Once your meal comes..you "go off" on the radio...that's when your 30 minutes start. If a hot call comes out...lunch or dinner is over. (That's why we hate being bothered during our meals) Throw down the money and head for your car.

If you have to go to the bathroom...do what you have to do. Some of us have to "park" while doing both 1 & 2. If it's going to be a long one...we normally call dispatch via the phone and let them know.

Heaven knows just as you get seated that hot call with YOU as the primary is heard over the radio.:eek::eek:

There are those who don't do the aforemention....you know this when their voice echoes as they answer their radio.

mruiz46
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
We have to get in line for meals..the dispatcher will "okay" it..depending on the calls pending. Once your meal comes..you "go off" on the radio...that's when your 30 minutes start. If a hot call comes out...lunch or dinner is over. (That's why we hate being bothered during our meals) Throw down the money and head for your car.

If you have to go to the bathroom...do what you have to do. Some of us have to "park" while doing both 1 & 2. If it's going to be a long one...we normally call dispatch via the phone and let them know.

Heaven knows just as you get seated that hot call with YOU as the primary is heard over the radio.:eek::eek:

There are those who don't do the aforemention....you know this when their voice echoes as they answer their radio.

Thank you :) thats all I wanted to know

SmallCityCop
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
40 man dept here.

On days and eves, they call out they are going to lunch, but still you can get interrupted by calls.

On midnites, we eat when we can.

ArkansasFan24
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM

I when I was a true cop, i.e. a city police officer, we worked eight hour shifts with no scheduled lunch or other breaks. It was understood that the down time between calls was enough of a break, plus you were allowed to run errands around town while you were at work like going to the bank, post office, cell phone place, etc. For lunch we just ate when we could if we could. If we wanted to go out and eat somewhere we'd usually check 10-10 (out of service, subject to call) on the radio and the dispatchers would send the next closest person instead of us. If you needed to get caught up on reports or take care of uniform issues, etc. you could check 10-6 (busy). Regardless, you got paid for eight hours.

The sheriff's office was the same way, but we worked 12 hour shifts.

Omega17632
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
We are alotted 30 minutes for a dinner break during our 10 hour shift. However, I pack a lunch every night because you never know when there's going to be a hot call as soon as you sat down for dinner and it's not even at the table.

I have been driving code 3 while eating a sandwich because lord only knows when the next time i'll be able to eat is. I think we've all had 16 hour days with no food/bathroom breaks and it sucks in this job!

1042 Trooper
09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered
Yeah - we even have tell them if it's #1 or #2.

#2 gets priority. :D

Monkeybomb
09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
That would be called out as a Code brown:eek:

LA DEP
09-11-2008, 01:55 AM
If you need to go potty, you just find a 7-11 and go......and hit the free coffee to refill!

As far as chow breaks, it depends on how busy it is....we do not get meal breaks.......straight 8/10/12 hour shift......you just grab chow if/when you can......and eat on the hood......

Surf
09-11-2008, 04:58 AM
After our FLSA settlement, they try to be a lot more accomodating.

wirefire2
09-11-2008, 07:32 AM
What does

10-100, 10-200

10-6 mean???

These are radio codes and they can vary from agency to agency. No one calls out that they are going to the can on the radio, its not important to broadcast where I'm taking a deuce.

In a larger agency officers generally get a break that won't be interrupted by radio calls, for the most part.

10-6 is commonly used as - "I'm busy".

10-100 and 10-200 are jokingly used for well....using the john. But like I said cops don't generally make it public knowledge that they are taking a pee brake at the local stop 'n rob. (gas station)

Bushranger
09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
We have 8 hr shifts and the comms operator tells us when we can have a meal break when tasking allows. If we're near Maccas, KFC, etc we can take advantage and grab a coffee or quick bite to eat on the run.

Ralph8119
09-11-2008, 08:48 AM

NYPD 10-63 (Meal):D

Retired96
09-11-2008, 11:02 AM
When I worked, it was 8 hour shifts with no meal breaks. You ate when you could, on the hood of the patrol car. Not once in my 15 years in patrol did I ever eat in a restaurant. Had many shifts without a meal break.

When it was potty time I always went to one of the County fire stations and advised dispatch that I was code 6 at a certain engine company which dispatch had the phone number to.

JPGT_00
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a great MDC system and can do almost everything through it without talking through the dispatcher. ie meal break, pull a case number, even create a call. So If I'm code brown I do what I need to do. The dispatcher doesn't need to know what I'm doing my supervisor does.

I am allowed a 30 min meal break. Very rarly do I go anywhere and sit down, I usually eat in the car.

btfp
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I need to take a quick personal.

I'm going to take my lunch now at ( insert location).

Always report that you have finished and are back in service.

SmallCityCop
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
"____ to Dispatch, I'll be 10-6, Assignment"
"10-4"
**after eating**
"____ to Dispatch, 10-8, clear assignment"

1042 Trooper
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
As far as chow breaks, it depends on how busy it is....we do not get meal breaks.......straight 8/10/12 hour shift......you just grab chow if/when you can......and eat on the hood......

..... we also have a one hour class called "Eating a 12" Subway Double Meat BMT while running Code 3" in the acadamy. :D

JPGT_00
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
..... we also have a one hour class called "Eating a 12" Subway Double Meat BMT while running Code 3" in the acadamy. :D

I'm going to that class next week. :D. Im also going to the block of instruction for getting your duty belt off in 5 seconds or less.:D

Hoosier_Boy
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm going to that class next week. :D. Im also on the scedule for the block of instruction for getting your duty belt off in 5 seconds or less.:D

Because sometimes you gotta go THAT BAD...

Name Taken
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Breaks? That's crazy talk. I couldnt imagine going "out of service" to grab a bite.

If it's really busy with "petty" stuff some will just stay on a call for a bit and grab food. If you are really busy with "legit" calls you eat in between or wait till you get off.

Bathroom is a different story...depending on what need arises dictates if you are "in service" or "out of service".

FutureTrooper28
09-11-2008, 03:17 PM
10-hour shifts, everyone gets a one hour lunch break that is scheduled ahead of time during briefing. There is usually one other officer on your squad that you eat with at the same time. Dispatch will have our lunch schedule faxed to them so as not to dispatch us on anything too time consuming when lunchtime is near (if possible).

If you have to go to the restroom, you go when you want. Just update your status on the computer to let dispatch know you are unavailable. As far as they know you could be getting coffee, getting gas, going poop, or whatever. They don't need to know your business, nor do they want to. That's between you and your supervisor.

If you miss your lunch break because a call went long or whatever, your supervisor will try and find a different hour for you to eat if manning allows it. Or you just don't eat or hit the drive-thru. It happens.

MCAPO
09-11-2008, 07:57 PM
most of us do the 4 days, 10 hours each. But with my dept. and what we primarily do (case loads), field work.....we can flex on and off, but they're extremely religious of not touching the OT!!!! unless we do sweeps and other events of interests. (i'm always signing up for that!!!)

I can come in at any time, do my loads....but for me and where they have me at, I have to pull in the 5 days, 8 hours each for the full 40. Say we work from 7 - 4 would show up as 9 hours....but that extra hour is unpaid lunch....30 mins per 4 hours.

Our Supervisor is pretty lenient, some of us don't do a full hour so we do 30 mins of lunch and than leave 30 mins. early from the office or have it shown on our time cards. Pfff, breaks.....I take them when the computer screen gets blurry from running so many cases or my fingers get chapped from pulling files and reviewing them to petition to remove the older - lesser criminals - (there is a helluva lot of them stacked)

e-man
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah - we even have tell them if it's #1 or #2.

#2 gets priority. :D

Hold me out at the station dispatch, P.R.

I never say Personal relief. I say Im out on station DUTY:eek::eek:
or is it station DOODY:D

Ralph8119
09-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm from a big city, may I say THANK GOD for a 7-11 or a Walmart 24 hour store! :D

stormz5192
09-12-2008, 12:11 AM
We are alotted 30 minutes for meal and 2-15 minute breaks per shift. Both are paid time. However, it is usually just shoving something down your gullet.

Usually when we do take a break, the residents bitch that the cops all hang out at XYZ and do nothing. God forbid we take a break. I bet if they painted their car orange and put flashing lights on top, people would notice what they are doing as well.

luckydog
09-12-2008, 12:32 AM
yeah.. i've never seen a cop on break in florida ever.. lol.

Seriously, whats the deal with breaks

call or mdt dispatch and let them know your going to be 10-89 at denny's for the next 45 minutes. then just as your food comes out you will get a home invasion or something that takes up the rest of your night.

1042 Trooper
09-12-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm going to that class next week. :D. Im also going to the block of instruction for getting your duty belt off in 5 seconds or less.:D
That one is easy.

The keepers are unsnapped and off before you get out of the car. :D

Had to learn that one because of my propensity for eating too many Jalapenos. Anyone here remember my story about too many Jalepenos and working the wreck in the blizzard? Shall I repeat it? No? Otay. :)

1042 Trooper
09-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Because sometimes you gotta go THAT BAD...
Oh..it gets much worse... :D Sometimes ... uh .. you kinda WENT. :D

Then it's code 3 to the house for a shower and a fresh uniform!

Ralph8119
09-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Question to this thread, do you receive pay half the check at you're Denny's or Eatery, while in uniform?
I remember that in Texas 1976 with LEO on the job!!

MCAPO
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Question to this thread, do you receive pay half the check at you're Denny's or Eatery, while in uniform?
I remember that in Texas 1976 with LEO on the job!!

Not sure about Denny's.....

Jack N' the box there is LEO discount

ChopperCopper
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
None of us are ever allowed to take breaks. Nor can we use the bathroom unless we recieve permission from the headmaster.

Ralph8119
09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.innocentenglish.com/funny-pics/funny-pics/stolen-police-toilets.jpg
Our department took care of the officer taking a toilet brake!
http://www.n55.dk/MANUALS/BARMOBILE/BMtoilet.jpg

NYCTNT
09-13-2008, 02:52 AM
A good cop is never hungry, bored, tired or wet.

I noticed many of you guys were not really trained properly!

Ralph8119
09-13-2008, 02:54 AM

Pottie Trained!!:rolleyes:

bigcitypolice06
09-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I eat when I can...we can request code 7 but why get denied by communications...rejection hurts( and so does getting a man woman dispute immediatly after ordering)...so we just eat on the sly and take a line on the log for it. As for other breaks thank heaven for 7-11 dirty bathrooms and all the coffee/water/slurpees you can drink, gotta love the hood!

JPGT_00
09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
I eat when I can...we can request code 7 but why get denied by communications...rejection hurts( and so does getting a man woman dispute immediatly after ordering)...so we just eat on the sly and take a line on the log for it. As for other breaks thank heaven for 7-11 dirty bathrooms and all the coffee/water/slurpees you can drink, gotta love the hood!

You have to get approved by your comm center to take a break WHATTTTTT.

Dispatch I will be (out of service) to eat.

Negative prepare to copy.

Eagles
09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I think it's technically in our contract that we get a meal break, but I've never heard anyone call out with that. Usually you're shift mates are pretty good at helping out and taking your calls if they know you just sat down to eat... but sometimes you get stuck running from the table to the car.

ChiTownDet
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

+1..

mruiz46
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the answers, I've seen some good answers and some odd answers.

Appreciate the responses im being given

stormz5192
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah, we used to request permission, until a SGT realized that we know when we are busy and dispatchers are a county agency, not a part of our department, so they don't dictate our rules.

bigcitypolice06
09-16-2008, 03:54 AM
You have to get approved by your comm center to take a break WHATTTTTT.

Dispatch I will be (out of service) to eat.

Negative prepare to copy.

Ya I can make descisions about lethal force, law, settle disputes that are so convaluded I get a headache yet I am not capable of deciding when its a good time to eat....gotta love being micro-managed.....

nixgottatz
11-07-2008, 12:28 AM
:confused:

What are breaks?

We have a 2200 member department here, and in the summer, while Joe and John continuously shoot at eachother, even though our contract says we're supposed to get one, we don't.

If our dispatcher deems it too busy to take a break, we don't get one. They can't deny us a bathroom break, but in the wintertime, in the past, I've gone 30 minutes without an assignment, and that was the longest.

This is how police officers master the art of mulit tasking.

Driving, grabbing things in the squad (radio dials people!) talking on a radio, listening, watching, eating, and drinking, all at the same time.