PDA

View Full Version : Downstairs Neighbors Use Marijuana

mfh83
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey all,

I live in a vertical duplex, where my house sits on top of the downstairs neighbors' house. Problem is, I'm 99% sure they use marijuana rather frequently as I can smell it come up through the air vents. It's faint, but distinct. They're generally nice people, middle-class, never having any kind of big parties, and they don't bother me outside of the drug use.

I asked one of my college professors, who is a police officer full-time and teaches part-time, if I should report it. He said he recommends against reporting it, unless it's excessive or there's evidence of the house being used to sell drugs (there's not).

My issue is, I'm currently applying to become an officer, going through BI with a few different agencies. I don't want this to come back and bite me. I'm also a little afraid that smelling the scent from downstairs could cause me to pop positive on an employment drug test.

Any input or advice is appreciated!

Monkeybomb
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
If it bugs you ask them to eaze off a bit since it's coming into your place through the vents. At least until you finish the drug testing........LOL

Bet they look surprised.............

ChopperCopper
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Tell the landlord. He is the most powerful person in the world when it comes to tenant disputes.

Check your landlord laws in PA. I'm pretty sure that in any state in the union, committing a crime on the property is cause for eviction. I'm not sure, though, if there has to be an arrest made.

In any case, tell the landlord and hope that he helps the situation.

10-31Mike
08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey all,

I live in a vertical duplex, where my house sits on top of the downstairs neighbors' house. Problem is, I'm 99% sure they use marijuana rather frequently as I can smell it come up through the air vents. It's faint, but distinct. They're generally nice people, middle-class, never having any kind of big parties, and they don't bother me outside of the drug use.

If thats the worst problem you have with your neighbors you should consider yourself the luckiest apt/condo/duplex dweller around.

Unless you drill a hole through the floor a stick a straw in it to breathe you don't have anything to worry about as far as drug tests go.

If your neighbor is hot what you should do is wait about 15 minutes after the smell gets really strong and show up with beer and twinkies. You can thank me later.

PhilipCal
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
My feeling is, let it go. If people start showing up at all hours, things start getting loud etc, then, that's a different deal entirely. I don't think the 'odor" coming through the vents will be an issue when you do a drug screen. Not wishing to seem sarcastic, but you could consider moving. Just don't know that I would at this point though.

PhilipCal
08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
i wish my only problem was that i smelled some weed. the only thing the neighbors downstairs do is play the bass so loud my **** vibrates and all i can hear is dumm dmm dumm dummm dummmmm dummm all day long. ive complalined 4 times, 1 more and they'll evict. whoo hooo

Sounds like the problem is taking care of itself.:)

Ralph8119
08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
What I'd do is to report you're neighbors activity's to you're local police department, narc. section, maybe their already under investigation!

Mabbottusmc
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
What I'd do is to report you're neighbors activity's to you're local police department, narc. section, maybe their already under investigation!

NARC guys have a lot more to deal with. They aren't going to investigate a guy smoking pot. They will send a patrol deputy to the house who may or may not smell it and may or may not do anything. He's not going to be drunk in public if he's at his home. Not much u can do.

Your not going to pop on a **** test for such a small contact high. Plus they can tell how much is in your system if you did pop which would not happen. If you were able to pop, 90% of cops would because I smell it all the time.

Let small things go!

Surf
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe someone has a medical issue.

Try reporting that to our 911 or directly to the grass detail complaints section and they will laugh. Smell of a bit of weed in a big city is not gonna loose the hounds. Sorry a bit of reality.

Ralph8119
08-31-2008, 11:54 PM
NARC guys have a lot more to deal with. They aren't going to investigate a guy smoking pot. They will send a patrol deputy to the house who may or may not smell it and may or may not do anything. He's not going to be drunk in public if he's at his home. Not much u can do.

Your not going to pop on a **** test for such a small contact high. Plus they can tell how much is in your system if you did pop which would not happen. If you were able to pop, 90% of cops would because I smell it all the time.

Let small things go!

How true, but just a thought!
Me being armed and a retired cop would talk with them,
" keep you smelly crap from my nose up stairs " yes I do know the job, but I won't stay in my apartment or home smelling crap all day why would anyone suffer from a neighbors ill use !!:rolleyes:

Rasmblack
09-01-2008, 04:57 AM
A few weeks ago I had the same problem. I let it go and was to the point it was just too annoying I was going to report them to my patrol units. One night as I was leaving for work one of them was outside in the hall of the apt building on the phone. She saw me in uniform and hurried inside the apt real quick. (doesnt seem fishy at all huh?) Well that was a few weeks ago and I have not smelled any form of smoke since. My hope is that they stopped smoking it altogether, but I know they just light up somewhere else.