PDA

View Full Version : Traffic vests

btfp
08-18-2008, 03:24 PM
How many officers wear a vest or ansii 3 jacket when directing traffic or doing a car stop?
With cell phones, texting, cb's , multi disc cd changers, and more stuff coming standard in autos the MOTORIST'S ATTENTION IS NOT ALWAYS ON YOU.
Then when you become a hood ornament or have a close call, they say "I did not see you".
How many were issued vests or hi viz clothing but it sits in the trunk of the car?
Will your Dept comply with the Federal Law Nov 2008 mandating safety vests for all workers? Guess what, you stop a car, you are a highway worker. You are directing traffic, you are a highway worker.
I am just curious as to how many officers use this regularly.

Seventy2002
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
I wear a high-viz vest for traffic control and collision investigations, not for traffic stops. Although my agency issues high-viz vests, they have a tendency to hide in the trunk. I bought my own and keep it close at hand in my gear bag.

LA DEP
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
They dont issue them....

99.99% of the guys would throw in the back of the locker if they did issue them here......

It is a trade off.....be more visible so the DUIs and HUA drivers see you, or be less visible so you dont make such an easy target?

LE2BE
08-18-2008, 07:01 PM
They dont issue them....

99.99% of the guys would throw in the back of the locker if they did issue them here......

It is a trade off.....be more visible so the DUIs and HUA drivers see you, or be less visible so you dont make such an easy target?

I'd for sure leave it in the locker, right next to my collapsible baton. What's next... patrolling with helmets on?

Damon K
08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
It's policy here that you must wear your reflective vest whenever standing on the roadway (excluding traffic stops), for things like point duty, etc.

Best part, is that if the OH&S inspectors drive by and see you doing traffic point without a vest, they give you a massive fine.

Fuzz
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
They require us to wear the reflective vests when working a traffic post for any prolonged period of time such as traffic control for a concert, parade, etc.

FireCop604
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
As others have said, yes I am issued one. I wear it, and am required to wear it, any time I'm in traffic with the exception of enforcement activities.

Resq14
08-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Traffic stop? No.

Standing in the road for anything else? Yes.

tutt101
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I must admit, three and a half years and I’ve never worn it. On traffic stops, to me, it makes no sense. If they are not paying attention with the flashing lights and whatnot, the vest is not going to help you in my opinion.
I do see using it for traffic control however!

KAA951
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Guess what, you stop a car, you are a highway worker.

I think you need to check the Federal Regulation again.

Law enforcement traffic stops are not included in the situations where wearing high visibility garments are required due to officer safety / tactical considerations. The fire service also just succesfully fought for an exemption for firefighters who are actually engaged in firefighting- traffic vests are not flame resistant!:eek:

From the actual federal rule- which says all "workers" must wear a vest within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway.

"(Workers include) law enforcement personnel when directing traffic, investigating crashes, and handling lane closures, obstructed roadways, and disasters within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway."

By the way- almost every public road receives federal aid in some way shape or form! So for those of you are thinking you have a loophole when working on your city street / county highway - think again!:D

As to your second question- our agency will require by policy that we wear an ANSI II vest whenever we are operating at crash scenes etc as required above.

JDCOP
08-20-2008, 03:40 AM
If I'm directing traffic I wear my vest. Occasionally working a crash I will throw it on depending if I'm going to be there for awhile.

rocky08
08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I am not on the road yet as a law enforcement official. I have worked EMS for a few years and I always wear on when outside the truck. I have had the chance to do a few ride alongs and all for all of them both myself and the officer I was with always wore a traffic vest.

Lots of highways, a lot of speed, a lot of distracted people. It only makes sense to increase your chances of being seen while at work.

LA DEP
08-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I am not on the road yet as a law enforcement official. I have worked EMS for a few years and I always wear on when outside the truck. I have had the chance to do a few ride alongs and all for all of them both myself and the officer I was with always wore a traffic vest.

Lots of highways, a lot of speed, a lot of distracted people. It only makes sense to increase your chances of being seen while at work.

Not in LA it doesnt......might as well make those reflectors on the vest into the shape of crosshairs......

different areas, different mindsets and working conditions,,,,,

ditchdiver56
08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
we're required to wear them. even with it on people dont see me though.

if it's raining sometimes i'll wear my reflective jacket on stops

triathlon-cop
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Directing traffic, inv a crash..YES! While performing patrol work, (traffic stops etc), NO!

ZGXtreme
08-24-2008, 03:02 PM
No, has remained in the trunk for three years.

TexasAggieOfc
08-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Traffic stop... no.

Directing traffic... yes, even have nice reflective gloves to go with it

firemanjb
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Traffic stop? No.

+1

Vest goes on as we get out of the car at a collision. Command staff might ignore a missing hat...they will not ignore a missing vest.

We had an officer struck during traffic control about 3 years ago. He suffered a shattered pelvis and several shattered leg bones...last I heard, he is still in a wheelchair, though they are working to help him stand and walk. Since then, no one questions the requirement to wear hi-vis stuff when working wrecks or directing traffic.

WKT
08-26-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm guessing everyone is talking about these canary yellow vests that the Feds are requiring us to wear now? We had blue ones with a yellow reflective stripe on it, but these new yellow ones are ugleeeee! Not to mention flimsy and cheap. What's even worse is that our raincoats we're supposed to be getting are the same thing. :mad:

Initially, there was talk of them making us wear them every time we stepped out of the car. There is no way I'm going to get out on a traffic stop where we run the risk of getting into a firefight and becoming a canary yellow target for the bad guy.

bucksone
08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
When directing traffic, we're required to wear reflective clothing (vest, raincoat, or other reflective outerwear) and also required to wear our hat and have a flashlight at night. I'll sometimes throw on the vest at a crash if I remember. Some of my coworkers on rainy nights will wear their raincoat with the orange side out, but I don't. If I'm getting out of the car in the rain, it usually isn't for a traffic stop, so I would rather remain stealthy for alarms and other calls.

Tmg
09-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I hate these vests. If a person can not see see i lite up fire truck, ambulance, or police car who thinks they will see a guy in a reflective vest???

These things suck to wear. People do not recognize you as a police officer. They see the vest and think construction worker. If i get hit by a car that is my bad. I am the ONE who should be looking out for the cars. I dont need a vest to be safe on a road.

nebraska_deputy
09-08-2008, 04:43 AM
At my last department they gave you one if you wanted it, but I think most of the time the vest ended up in the tote in back of the truck. I can only remember wearing the vest one time and that was while taking measurements at 3AM. on the side of the road. My current department issues vest and your required to wear them at accidents, along with your hat.

First Responder
09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Compulsory no, but I always have a reflective vest handy and will definitely use it depending on the road and weather/visibility condition. I know that some departments issue load-bearing reflective vests that has many compartments/pockets for radio, torch, etc.. The dept also ensures that all officers wear the load-bearing reflective vest at all times while they are on duty.

Bushranger
09-11-2008, 09:01 AM
They're issued to us and we're required to wear them when conducting intercepts from a static site, when directing traffic, or when attending a traffic crash. I know of some officers that wear them at night when rostered for a traffic shift to increase their personal visibility.

copper21911
09-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I won't wear it on traffic stops so that if they decide to kill me I can run and dissapear into the darkness if I survive. On accidents if I have to stand in the roadway then I'll wear it and of course I'll wear it when directing traffic.

IAD50
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
My department requires us to wear our reflective vest whenever we are directing traffic, working an accident or any other detail that requires us to be on the roadway. Traffic stops are excluded from this, unless, traffic is being done on foot.

GrayState
09-22-2008, 08:06 PM

PeteBroccolo
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
My Force's policy is that we MUST wear a hi-vis vest, or jacket, when conducting traffic duties (checkpoints, collisions, traffic stops). We are SUPPOSED to be personally-issued with vests (hook-and-loop adjustable shoulder straps, adjustable side panels and front closure) and our Detachments / Units can obtained Unit-issued jackets that can be carried in the patrol vehicles or that we can each maintain but must surrender to the Unit on transfer / discharge / retirement.

For those that DO work collision scenes, or full-time Traffic duties, have you NEVER noticed how, at night, no matter how many patrol cars you have, with whatever type of emergency lights may be operating, or how many fusees or electronic flares you have going, or how many or what type of cones or markers with whatever level of reflective markings on them, that you can NOT see the LEO/PO wandering around in whatever colour of uniform, but you CAN see the EMS and FF with their reflective gear on?

I can see USA Agencies being particularly anal about wanting their personnel to wear such gear, as it seems to us up here in the Great White North that South of the 49th you guys are much more likely to sue "clients" and employers when you get injured, or your estates following your death, due to NOT having been provided with proper safety gear by your employers.

I am on a Traffic Unit, so I wear at least my vest, if not my jacket, every shift when I am not in the office working on reports. LA DEP, the markings on my vest are not cross-hairs, but they certainly are CX!

Then again, what do I know?!:)

LA DEP
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
My Force's policy is that we MUST wear a hi-vis vest, or jacket, when conducting traffic duties (checkpoints, collisions, traffic stops). We are SUPPOSED to be personally-issued with vests (hook-and-loop adjustable shoulder straps, adjustable side panels and front closure) and our Detachments / Units can obtained Unit-issued jackets that can be carried in the patrol vehicles or that we can each maintain but must surrender to the Unit on transfer / discharge / retirement.

For those that DO work collision scenes, or full-time Traffic duties, have you NEVER noticed how, at night, no matter how many patrol cars you have, with whatever type of emergency lights may be operating, or how many fusees or electronic flares you have going, or how many or what type of cones or markers with whatever level of reflective markings on them, that you can NOT see the LEO/PO wandering around in whatever colour of uniform, but you CAN see the EMS and FF with their reflective gear on?

I can see USA Agencies being particularly anal about wanting their personnel to wear such gear, as it seems to us up here in the Great White North that South of the 49th you guys are much more likely to sue "clients" and employers when you get injured, or your estates following your death, due to NOT having been provided with proper safety gear by your employers.
I am on a Traffic Unit, so I wear at least my vest, if not my jacket, every shift when I am not in the office working on reports. LA DEP, the markings on my vest are not cross-hairs, but they certainly are CX!

Then again, what do I know?!:)

Guys here in LA would be very likely to sue if they even tried to make us wear the stupid azzzz traffic vests........we want to be LOW visibility.....never high........

We get sniped at on a fairly regular basis......10-15+ incidents a year.....we've had two in the last week.....

jchristanner
10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
We are required to wear them while on traffic details not on traffic stops. I want all the visibility available. Would wear the gloves also.

knxdep20
10-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Our Dept. requires us to wear the ANSI vest while doing traffic duty only, during traffic stops it's not required. Yea they are the LOAD:eek: lime green vest with "SHERIFF" on the front and back. We also have the lime green reversable jackets. During a traffic stop wearing the vest or jacket could could seriously jeopardize your safety......

smk99
12-27-2009, 10:33 AM
To drag this issue back up, the 2009 MUTCD has been issued. All states have until Dec 16 2011 to come in to compliance.

Part 6D.03 makes the wearing of High Visibility Apparel mandatory on ALL roadways open to public travel. Mandatory compliance for this rule is December 31, 2011.

MUTCD can be found here : http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/kno_2009.htm

Federal Register on this issue can be found here : http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-28322.pdf

This finial rule also allows departments to issue apparel meeting the ANSI 207-2006 standard.

RoadKingTrooper
12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Not in LA it doesnt......might as well make those reflectors on the vest into the shape of crosshairs......

different areas, different mindsets and working conditions,,,,,

Much like the pretty flashing lights that attract DUI's I think the vests are as stated above

phillyrube
12-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Traffic stop? No.

What he said......:D

smk99
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
What he said......:D

This has been the law in VA since 2007 if I recall correctly. Nice to see the rest of the country coming up to speed.

LA DEP
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
This has been the law in VA since 2007 if I recall correctly. Nice to see the rest of the country coming up to speed.

Not in my opinion, it isnt......it is yet another example of the Feds sticking their long unwanted noses in an issue that should be left up to the individual LEOs discretion......it is simply another case of the idiots from 'the people for a perfect world' trying to legislate every facet of our lives.

I want the name of the author of the bill, so I know who to sue if I get shot because of these damn vests.....

They will not add any level of safety to our job, at least in an urban environment.....the most effective thing to do to keep from getting hit by a car to keep your head on a swivel.....do not depend on ANYTHING else to protect you.

As I (and several other posters) have pointed out, we DO NOT want to be 'highly visible' here in LA.....I would wear all black if they gave me the option.......

It will be interesting to see who actually wears them out here......I have yet to see anyone with them....city streets, or freeway.....

SgtCHP
12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Thusfar, high visibility vests are required for our officers under the specified conditions - traffic control, accident investigation, etc - only when the scene involves a high speed highway, Federally funded highway, freeways and interstates.

LA DEP
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Thusfar, high visibility vests are required for our officers under the specified conditions - traffic control, accident investigation, etc - only when the scene involves a high speed highway, Federally funded highway, freeways and interstates.

If they have been issued to your guys, I havent seen one in use.....and that is during an average commute of 60-90 minutes each way to downtown LA.....I have passed numerous collisions where CHP is working, including some long term ones where they have had several lanes shut down.....all without wearing the vests.....

If it stays with what you are describing (Federally funded road, freeways) that will not effect us all that much.....but one other poster has it that it will effect all roads 'open to the public', which pretty much means everywhere.....

andy5746
12-29-2009, 01:12 AM
I have seen them in use at DUI checkpoints and at one major T/C with a prolonged roadway closure, but these have been the exceptions. I was issued one, and keep it in my saddle bag, towards the bottom. I figure if I ever get stranded on a desert island with my motor, I could use it to signal aircraft...

smk99
12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Not in my opinion, it isnt......it is yet another example of the Feds sticking their long unwanted noses in an issue that should be left up to the individual LEOs discretion......it is simply another case of the idiots from 'the people for a perfect world' trying to legislate every facet of our lives.

I want the name of the author of the bill, so I know who to sue if I get shot because of these damn vests.....

They will not add any level of safety to our job, at least in an urban environment.....the most effective thing to do to keep from getting hit by a car to keep your head on a swivel.....do not depend on ANYTHING else to protect you.

As I (and several other posters) have pointed out, we DO NOT want to be 'highly visible' here in LA.....I would wear all black if they gave me the option.......

It will be interesting to see who actually wears them out here......I have yet to see anyone with them....city streets, or freeway.....

My opinion on these vests comes from the fact that I have been struck by a car while directing traffic. Would it have happened if I was wearing one of these vests, unlikely as the driver was still fall down drunk, but I don't want to find out again.

I understand your view, and agree that when you are on a traffic stop or a criminal investigation, stealth has value. However there are plenty of times where visibility can more than solve any situation before it arises.

smk99
12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
If they have been issued to your guys, I havent seen one in use.....and that is during an average commute of 60-90 minutes each way to downtown LA.....I have passed numerous collisions where CHP is working, including some long term ones where they have had several lanes shut down.....all without wearing the vests.....

If it stays with what you are describing (Federally funded road, freeways) that will not effect us all that much.....but one other poster has it that it will effect all roads 'open to the public', which pretty much means everywhere.....

Currently it is only required on Federal Aid system roads. on December 31, 2011 it will be required on all roads open to pubic use.

towncop
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
My department issues them and we are required to wear them per policy if we're out directing traffic, working crashes, etc. For those of you crying about having to wear them, and don't, or throw them in the back of your locker, I can see that if it is in your SOP's/General Orders to wear one as prescribed and you don't, the city would have a good case not to pay certain benefits to you if you did end up injured while performing the above duties.

LA DEP
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
My department issues them and we are required to wear them per policy if we're out directing traffic, working crashes, etc. For those of you crying about having to wear them, and don't, or throw them in the back of your locker, I can see that if it is in your SOP's/General Orders to wear one as prescribed and you don't, the city would have a good case not to pay certain benefits to you if you did end up injured while performing the above duties.

That is a chance I will take, as I will refuse to wear one, under ANY circs.....

I highly doubt they will take the risk of a lawsuit out here for failing to pay workmans' comp claims.......they have made the same noises about not paying if we are injured in a wreck and are not wearing a seatbelt (and very few patrol deputies wear them, except on C-3 runs....if at all)......after threats of lawsuits emerged, those noises went away for some reason......as it would be on the county to prove that wearing the seatbelt (or other 'protective' device) would have prevented the injuries.......they take the view that it is much easier to settle, rather than taking it to trial.

smk99.....I have been almost hit by DUI drivers on two occasions.....and it would not have mattered WHAT I was wearing in the slightest, as they were completely oblivious to their surroundings.....what saved me was me paying attention to my surroundings......which gave me enough time to get the hell out of the way.

Since I started in 1988, we have lost ONE Deputy in an incident where this might have been a factor......on the other hand, we have had well over 100 sniping incidents during that time........personally, I dont like the odds.....those vests simple make you stick out like a sore thumb, making it a VERY simple shot for someone that has even a little bit of skill to make from a couple hundred yards out......and we would have no idea where it came from....

Obviously, everyone has a different opinion on this.....mine will not change though.....

SgtCHP
12-30-2009, 09:22 AM

And, similarly, you have driven to work and back home without ever seeing a CHP officer on the road! :eek: Even you know they are out there - the officers and the vests. :D

LA DEP
12-30-2009, 07:28 PM
And, similarly, you have driven to work and back home without ever seeing a CHP officer on the road! :eek: Even you know they are out there - the officers and the vests. :D

Touche':D

I have seen your guys working wrecks on the side of the freeway (or blocking a lane or two)......pretty much several times a week.....no vests though.....this has also been daylight hours, not nighttime.......

wirefire2
12-31-2009, 07:20 AM
If i'm out of the car for something other than a t-stop i generally put it on.

mdrdep
12-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Touche':D

I have seen your guys working wrecks on the side of the freeway (or blocking a lane or two)......pretty much several times a week.....no vests though.....this has also been daylight hours, not nighttime.......

I saw some guys out of the Arrowhead office at chain control in the Angelus Oaks area. They were not wearing vests but their blue overalls had reflective panels in them (about a 4" x 1" long panel below a reflective "CHP"). Kind of a nice compromise actually. The dark blue overalls contrasted against the snow and the reflective panels showed up good when light struck them. Best of all they didn't look like they fell off a 1970's lime green fire truck.

nhtaskforce
01-17-2010, 01:27 PM
We are required to wear traffic vest when directing traffic, working a road detail, or waving over motor vehicle stops.

When I was new I went to a MV accident and ended up directing traffic around the scene without a vest on. I found myself in the Lt's office the next day, and won't be making that mistake again.

Generally I agree that all officer's should be wearing vests while directing traffic, especially at night. However, wearing a vest while conducting motor vehicle stops makes you a great reflective target.

LE2BE
01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
They issued our required vests about 18 months ago to our dept of nearly 10000 sworn. I have yet to see one in use. I do keep mine in my war bag instead of the locker like I planned, but I am more likely to use a reversed rain coat (yellow facing out) than wear the vest.

The only type of traffic control I do is related to perimeters, searching for suspects. Just another reason why I side with LA DEP. This is also the same reason my soup sandwich partner gives for not shining his badge... lol...

obxemt
01-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Traffic stop? No.

Same here. We take ours very seriously as does the agency.

The way people drive around here, I'll take any help I can get. Unfortunately, we're issued very old crappy ones. The new neon green/reflective vests really help. I bought the Spiewak (sp?) type for $50-some a few years ago and just bought one meeting the new requirements for $16.

Hound
01-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Vests for accidents, directing traffic, or when doing a selective enforcement on a street/intersection out of the car.

Any time you are going to be standing out on a roadside for a long period of time. I was providing cover for another unit because his car was in a ditch during a snow storm with my cruiser and we put on our vests since we where standing outside of the cars. my car was behind us with lights on but people are crazy.

Our rain jackets flip around to reflective neon green. More convenient then pulling on the entire vest.

gbotj
02-13-2010, 06:19 PM
we are required to wear the vest whenever we step onto the highway.

ryker
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
We are required to wear the vest on traffic accidents and traffic direction. Fine for daytime use.

Nighttime when you think it would be even better.. its the opposite. People look at the blue lights - don't slow down - and do not notice you standing with the reflective level II vest and flashlight shinning at them.

KenW.
02-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I wore my vest once in three years.

SGT53
02-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Mandatory for my Department when directing traffic or working accidents scenes.

KenW.
02-15-2010, 10:36 AM
My agency handed them out to deputies with vehicles, but did not tell us they were mandatory. We thought it had something to do with the now defunct attempt at CALEA certification. yeah, we pulled out out of that one.

catcop
03-08-2010, 11:42 AM
It's only for our safety that we were issued them. Therefore, we wear them. I don't care how dorky they make us feel I will wear mine. Directing traffic and roadway closures etc, it's best to be seen.

crewser82
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Traffic stops...no.
Anything else...yep. Details, accidents, traffic details etc.
In certain situations its best to be seen and even then you still gotta watch your back for idiot drivers that aren't paying attention.

NJLAWMAN214
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
We have been issued the Ansi III compliant vests for traffic details. The ones issued by the department are crappy so I bought my own Spiewack vest that is much more comfortable. I ALWAYS wear the vest while directing traffic as we are required to wear them. If it is raining I will wear my Goretex Blauer reversable belt length jacket which I bought again with my owm money. It is more reflective then the vest and does say POLICE on the back as does the vest on the front and back. I also have wool lime green gloves for winter conditions which work great. For summer I have black gloves with reflective strips that work well and as the fingertips are exposed, they work great. Again I bought these items on my own dime.

We had a school crossing guard a few years back that was killed directing traffic and the general consensus is that the new vests might have prevented that. Also one of our officers was struck at the same location without a vest on years ago. This was before we were issued them and required to wear them.

Do I wear the vest on traffic stops? no, but any other traffic details I will wear them. Also, for worker's comp purposes, if you do not wear the vest they may not cover you so it behooves you to wear them. Stay safe out there ladies and gents.

BigTex44
03-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I put my traffic vest right behind my driver headrest and use it when I get out on accidents or anything else I will be out in traffic for a prolonged amount of time. I don't wear it on T-Stops though. Takes too long to put on and take off.

sp23
03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
We are required to wear them on crash scenes or when directing traffic, but not on traffic stops-that's just painting a target on yourself. It's federally mandated to wear them on any federally maintained highway such as Interstates and U.S. highways when you are going to be in the roadway for traffic, but not for "routine" traffic stops. If you don't have it on and are struck by a vehicle your widow might not receive any death benefit federal money.

Also, I was recently on a crash scene on a major U.S. highway directing traffic with my reversable hi viz reflective coat on, using a flashback 5 traffic baton and had a truck hit me. Guy said that he has trouble seeing at night and did not see me, my reflective jacket or my flashing baton. But at least for the crash report it could show that I had my hi viz clothing on as required.

wirefire2
03-30-2010, 03:43 AM
How many officers wear a vest or ansii 3 jacket when directing traffic or doing a car stop?
With cell phones, texting, cb's , multi disc cd changers, and more stuff coming standard in autos the MOTORIST'S ATTENTION IS NOT ALWAYS ON YOU.
Then when you become a hood ornament or have a close call, they say "I did not see you".
How many were issued vests or hi viz clothing but it sits in the trunk of the car?
Will your Dept comply with the Federal Law Nov 2008 mandating safety vests for all workers? Guess what, you stop a car, you are a highway worker. You are directing traffic, you are a highway worker.
I am just curious as to how many officers use this regularly.

The traffic vest mandate is for only non-criminal enforcement. So you're wrong and only applies on the interstate.

bigcitypolice06
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
I got mine about a year ago it's sealed in its plastic wrap at the bottom of my war bag. I have no idea why I would ever wear that thing. It is a neon disaster waiting to happen. I did see all the traffic guys working OT on the DUI check point wearing them though, and I saw a brand new boot try to put one on at a perimeter a while back. His TO promptly ripped it off of him and chewed some butt. I figure 20 some years from now when I retire I'll find it in the bottom of my bag still.

obxemt
03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
It could be found...

1 - 20 years from now
2 - when your department gets slapped with a hefy fine by OSHA
3 - when someone else takes it out of your duty bag after you've been splattered all over the highway

bigcitypolice06
04-08-2010, 04:54 AM
It could be found...

1 - 20 years from now
2 - when your department gets slapped with a hefy fine by OSHA
3 - when someone else takes it out of your duty bag after you've been splattered all over the highway

I spend as little time as possible on the freeway (meaning pursuits, driving to the jail and thats about it I don't stop cars there or get out of mine) If my dept gets fined by osha it probably isn't the first time and I can think of 10 more serious violations off the top of my head right now. The only time I am in the road is on traffic stops or at perimeters. Both of those situations it would be more dangerous to have a neon target on me than not. If I worked collision investigation or some other such assignment, I would wear it. But since I work patrol, its not really an issue

sp23
04-27-2010, 04:32 AM
I spend as little time as possible on the freeway (meaning pursuits, driving to the jail and thats about it I don't stop cars there or get out of mine) If my dept gets fined by osha it probably isn't the first time and I can think of 10 more serious violations off the top of my head right now. The only time I am in the road is on traffic stops or at perimeters. Both of those situations it would be more dangerous to have a neon target on me than not. If I worked collision investigation or some other such assignment, I would wear it. But since I work patrol, its not really an issue

You don't respond to or work crashes (even as just traffic control) on patrol?

Maverick1701
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
we use our traffic vests on accident scenes and pretty much anytime we have to direct traffic....obviously not on tstops though

RaucousSilence
03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
The traffic vest mandate is for only non-criminal enforcement. So you're wrong and only applies on the interstate.

And here you're wrong. The legal requirement is for any highway or road that receives federal funding. This will include US and State highways, spurs, alternate, business routes, etc. And with all the road monies that were spent as part of the American Recovery and whatever act, it's just a safe move to wear it anytime you're not doing enforcement. I do.

bigcitypolice06
03-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Nope still haven't found a reason to wear it, found it in my war bag when i was doing spring cleaning and returned it the bottom. On the rare occaision I handle a TC I don't really wander into the street. (If it is really bad our traffic guys will respond from somewhere in the city) Its not going to be anything requiring more than a visual estimate so no point in going in the street, its not going to be on the freeway...Don't really do traffic control on TC's either (we have department of transportation meter maids for that), if I am doing traffic control it would be at a crime scene or a perimeter so again no vest. I see the value if you are directing traffic or collision investigation as a primary assignment it would be useful. But working in a high crime area with frequent attacks on officers....its one more thing to make you an easily identifiable target....

SGT53
03-16-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm required to wear a traffic vest if directing traffic or if I'm going to be at a major traffic accident for a long period of time, other than that it stays in car.