PDA

View Full Version : FOID card

purdue08
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey I just applied for my FOID card a week ago and was wondering how long it took some of you to get it in the mail after you sent for it? Need it as quick as possible and was just curious.

rolt
08-05-2008, 07:31 PM
It took several months for me to receive mine years ago. Why do you need it in such a hurry?

purdue08
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
i was told by my department i need it for academy. they told me a month before academy starts. so i applied that day. they said it was their fault for not informing me earlier, but its probably going to be me getting reemed by the academy for not having it. the card application said it should be processed within 30 days, but its the government, and nothing ever is fast. it better not hinder me from getting through academy or the shooting classes.

rolt
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
i was told by my department i need it for academy. they told me a month before academy starts. so i applied that day. they said it was their fault for not informing me earlier, but its probably going to be me getting reemed by the academy for not having it. the card application said it should be processed within 30 days, but its the government, and nothing ever is fast. it better not hinder me from getting through academy or the shooting classes.

Whoever from the academy that said it was their fault.. hold them to it if push come to shove.

SmileyJ
08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I got mine in less then a month and that was about a year ago.
It shouldn't take too long.

Matalots
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Wait a few days until you know ISP received it and give them a call and explain your situation. I did that and it was able to move to the top of the pile...in fact they were very nice about it and I received it quickly.

Illinois Edmond
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
It shouldn't take more than 35-40 days. Got mine renewed this year and it took about 32 days or so. They sure cash the check fast, though!

MorseAve1134
08-06-2008, 12:58 AM
I thought the same thing about the government always taking forever. The ISP really impressed me though and I got it in 30 days on the dot. You won't be shooting right away in the academy, and I guarantee you won't be the only one without it.

cubsfan07
08-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Which academy are you going to? When I was at the academy, there were a few guys that didn't have their FOID cards yet, and had just applied for them. They got their FOID cards about 6 weeks after applying for them, they just couldn't take their guns home. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. PD's are dumb for not putting that as a requirement when applying (something along the lines of "must have FOID card prior to employment).

Illinois Edmond
08-06-2008, 01:36 AM
If you're going to go into policing, just spend the few bucks and get it the first time you apply to a department. It'll save you time/hassle down the line.

Oldskoolfan
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Which academy are you going to? When I was at the academy, there were a few guys that didn't have their FOID cards yet, and had just applied for them. They got their FOID cards about 6 weeks after applying for them, they just couldn't take their guns home. So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. PD's are dumb for not putting that as a requirement when applying (something along the lines of "must have FOID card prior to employment).
You only need the FOID if you own a gun. They are not dumb.

What is stupid is the whole FOID requirement at all. There is no need for FOID cards. It is unconstitutional for the whole idea to exist.

ISPCAPT
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
As of last week the wait time was 33 days. You expect that time to get a bit longer this time of year. Every fall FOID gets flooded. Guys who are getting ready for hunting season wait until about now or a bit later to check their FOID cards and find out they've let them expire or they're coming due so FOID gets flooded. The more apps coming in the longer the delay.
The academies around the state are all aware of the delays involved. Just apply, note the date you sent yours in, and if asked just inform the academy of the date you applied. Someone at the academy can call FOID and check on your status if there's a question.

MorseAve1134
08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Since you need a FOID to be a cop, they might as well make it a requirement. You don't need college to be a cop but some places put that as a requirement. Which one is more practical/unconstitutional?

TomfromIL
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
You only need the FOID if you own a gun. They are not dumb.

What is stupid is the whole FOID requirement at all. There is no need for FOID cards. It is unconstitutional for the whole idea to exist.

Criminals don't have FOID cards. Law abiding citizens do. And at 5 bucks for 4 years, it has to be the cheapest program the state has ever implemented :D

I'm all for FOID cards.

ISPCAPT
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Criminals don't have FOID cards. Law abiding citizens do. And at 5 bucks for 4 years, it has to be the cheapest program the state has ever implemented :D

I'm all for FOID cards.
It was $5 for 5 years. It's now $10 for 10 years. Hopefully making the cards good for 10 years will help decrease the backlog.

MorseAve1134
08-06-2008, 11:50 PM
You're right MJN, but you know what else you should have, along with a FOID? Good inferring skills and the ability to not pounce at the chance to make yourself feel smarter. Plus, where I come from, every officer must have a weapon both on and off duty.

Chicago_mwk
08-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Just got mine yesterday... took 32 days.

Jail Guard7160
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Start ‘Em Young- Illinois Toddler Gets State Gun ID Card
May 15th, 2007 | by Ken Grandlund |
Here’s one for the pro-gun crowd. In Illinois, apparently there is no age limit for obtaining a state Firearm Owner’s ID Card.

According to Illinois state law, anyone who wants to own or purchase a firearm needs to get an FOID card. And even though you can’t legally buy a gun until you are 18 years old, you can own a gun at a younger age. Case in point…

Howard Ludwig’s 10 month old son, affectionately nicknamed “Bubba” was gifted a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun shortly after his birth. Grandpa bought the gun and his father registered his drooling infant for an FOID online and shortly thereafter received his son’s ID card in the mail, complete with a picture of the toothless child, his age, height, and weight. Dad included the info (20 lbs, 2 ft, 3 ins, and a toothless photo) and even got his kid to scribble a “signature” in the appropriate box.

Now little “Bubba” can legally transport his unloaded firearm, and purchase ammo. Too bad he can’t yet walk!

I wonder if little Bubba will one day be lugging his shotgun off to school one day…

occ
08-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Start ‘Em Young- Illinois Toddler Gets State Gun ID Card
May 15th, 2007 | by Ken Grandlund |
Here’s one for the pro-gun crowd. In Illinois, apparently there is no age limit for obtaining a state Firearm Owner’s ID Card.

According to Illinois state law, anyone who wants to own or purchase a firearm needs to get an FOID card. And even though you can’t legally buy a gun until you are 18 years old, you can own a gun at a younger age. Case in point…

Howard Ludwig’s 10 month old son, affectionately nicknamed “Bubba” was gifted a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun shortly after his birth. Grandpa bought the gun and his father registered his drooling infant for an FOID online and shortly thereafter received his son’s ID card in the mail, complete with a picture of the toothless child, his age, height, and weight. Dad included the info (20 lbs, 2 ft, 3 ins, and a toothless photo) and even got his kid to scribble a “signature” in the appropriate box.

Now little “Bubba” can legally transport his unloaded firearm, and purchase ammo. Too bad he can’t yet walk!

I wonder if little Bubba will one day be lugging his shotgun off to school one day…

lol I remember reading about this story.. The FOID card is a joke, yea sure... you can say "but only law abiding citizens have the FOID card.. you're correct. But when you buy a weapon you STILL have a 3 day wait in Illinois (unless you're a police officer, with dept letter) AND you STILL have to get a background check done. Of course, to buy ammo you just need the FOID card, but you can travel over the state line here in Missouri and purchase it as a Illinois resident, without a FOID card.

Oh, so you need a FOID card to transport a gun in Illinois, as a Illinois resident? What if I apply for a FOID card, receive one.. it expires in 10 years, but in the first year I was convicted of a felony. I still have a FOID card in my wallet.

So, what did the FOID card accomplish?

ISPCAPT
08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
it expires in 10 years, but in the first year I was convicted of a felony. I still have a FOID card in my wallet.

Because when you are convicted you'll be sent a letter telling you to turn in your FOID card and the card is revoked. If you don't return it voluntarily someone will be around to collect it. But anytime anyone runs your name in the computer, even on a traffic stop, the FOID response will come back that your FOID is revoked.

bankfraudguy
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
The only usefull purpose of the FOID card is to create a registry of possible gun owners and which houses to go visit if a ban was implemented. It sounds alarmist and "tin foil hat like", but I just don't see the usefulness of the whole process.

And I havent heard of any "FOID" use in the news except when authorities wanted to disarm Stebic and Peterson. (Not a fan of either guy but if they should be disarmed for "the greater good of the public" then convince a judge to seize the weapons, not the ISP to revoke a FOID card)

Case in point is the original posters question.... A police officer worried about having a FOID card issued in time for the academy? He shouldn't even need one in the first place.

benron
08-19-2008, 03:14 AM
The only usefull purpose of the FOID card is to create a registry of possible gun owners and which houses to go visit if a ban was implemented. It sounds alarmist and "tin foil hat like", but I just don't see the usefulness of the whole process.

And I havent heard of any "FOID" use in the news except when authorities wanted to disarm Stebic and Peterson. (Not a fan of either guy but if they should be disarmed for "the greater good of the public" then convince a judge to seize the weapons, not the ISP to revoke a FOID card)

Case in point is the original posters question.... A police officer worried about having a FOID card issued in time for the academy? He shouldn't even need one in the first place.

I couldn't agree with you more,this is nothing more than a control issue.

Monty Ealerman
08-19-2008, 04:44 AM
You're right MJN, but you know what else you should have, along with a FOID? Good inferring skills and the ability to not pounce at the chance to make yourself feel smarter. Plus, where I come from, every officer must have a weapon both on and off duty.Your're allowed to carry off-duty but it's not required. You retain a duty to provide police sevice if there's an emergency need for you to provide them while off duty, but there is no requirement for you to carry a firearm off-duty. Most officers choose to do so and most of the brass prefers it, but the city wants to distance itself from liability for the actions of off-duty officers, so there's no official requirement that officers carry firearms off-duty.

rtaylor00
08-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Unless a department requires it, in Illinois you do not need to possess a FOID to be a sworn, duly armed LEO. What you do need to do to purchase ammunition if you so choose to do is provide your creds as well as your badge at the point of purchase.

Huey County
08-22-2008, 01:54 AM

rtaylor00
08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you think this loophole was/is put there because of the fact that there are LEO's who have seeked mental treatment who would/have had their FOID's revoked because of that said treatment?

J3L2404
08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Because when you are convicted you'll be sent a letter telling you to turn in your FOID card and the card is revoked. If you don't return it voluntarily someone will be around to collect it. But anytime anyone runs your name in the computer, even on a traffic stop, the FOID response will come back that your FOID is revoked.

Yeah right. I ran into a guy who was both mentally ill and a convicted felon with a FOID and guns; and this was well into the "computer age" (around 2000). I had to call the ISP and tell them about the guy to get the card revoked and guns seized.

The whole point about running a name on a traffic stop and getting a FOID status is B.S. and you know it. Running a FOID in LEADS is a different query from running a 10-27. The only reason an officer will generally run a FOID on a traffic stop is if he finds the person in possession of firearms or ammunition.

I once read a quote from a wise man who said something like this:

If we get a license to do it, we are admitting that the government has the right to regulate it.

I am not an anarchist by any means; I play by the "rules", but I only do so, because I have to. We should also keep in mind that everytime we let the government regulate something, we surrender a small piece of freedom. The question is how much freedom are you willing to surrender?

ISPCAPT
08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah right. I ran into a guy who was both mentally ill and a convicted felon with a FOID and guns; and this was well into the "computer age" (around 2000). I had to call the ISP and tell them about the guy to get the card revoked and guns seized.?
Sorry, but what the info I gave you is the current practice. I've sent a lot of Troops and Agents to do pickups when we got notice they were convicted, sent letters to return their FOIDS, and they didn't return.

The whole point about running a name on a traffic stop and getting a FOID status is B.S. and you know it. Running a FOID in LEADS is a different query from running a 10-27.
The only reason an officer will generally run a FOID on a traffic stop is if he finds the person in possession of firearms or ammunition.

BS? Nope, more like someone who doesn't know what they're doing on LEADS. What's BS is a "non-LEO investigator" who doesn't know beans from FOID.
If your agency isn't setting up their LEADS to automatically run FOID then it's your agency's fault. You can set up your LEADS to automatically check FOID, SALOON, CQH, etc everytime you run a 10-27. No other inquiry is needed, it's run automatically. It's simple for them to do and if they don't know how then all they have to do is pull out the LEADS manual and it will show them the code. If you aren't smart enough to read the manual then call LEADS and they'll walk you thru it. We have had ours set that way since Heck was a pup. Oh wait, now I see. Exactly what a non-LE investigator knows about it? As non-LEO you won't be getting alot of LEO restricted info. Stay in your own lane.

guffyone
09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Illinois Fold card and the Nazi gun control are a like check these web site

http://constitutionalistnc.tripod.com/hitler-leftist/id14.html

ISPCAPT
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Godwin's Law has been invoked.