PDA

View Full Version : What would be some good things to do to make myself a better candidate

Soonerfan8149
06-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Hello all, I am just wondering what I can do to make myself more attractive to a Law Enforcement Agency. I have a college degree and I have interned with a local police department but is there anything else I could do that would help? Volunteer work or another internship? Anything suggestions
that would make me look like a good candidate would be appreciated. Also would a letter of reccomendation from an active officer or two help?

PhilipCal
06-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello all, I am just wondering what I can do to make myself more attractive to a Law Enforcement Agency. I have a college degree and I have interned with a local police department but is there anything else I could do that would help? Volunteer work or another internship? Anything suggestions
that would make me look like a good candidate would be appreciated. Also would a letter of reccomendation from an active officer or two help?

Not discounting your degree, internship, or volunteer activities. All are positive, and will assist you in applying. What's going to be of equal importance, is how how well you do in the hiring process. That will normally consist of a written exam, physical ability test, polygraph exam, possibly a pysch exam, a comprehensive background investigation, and physical exam. Many of these tests are pass/fail, but it will be imperative for you to score well on any graded exams.(written). Once you've established yourself as a viable candidate, the degree, volunteer activities, internships will enhance your overall appeal to a department. The letter(s) of recomendation could be helpful, but won't mean too much if you don't do well in all the testing phases.

jakflak
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Learning languages looks really good.

Soonerfan8149
06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replys, I am currently training for the physical tests but I have a question about them. Some departments have a set number of pushups or situps that you need to be able to do in a minute, do they stop you once you reach their number or let you keep going to see how many you can do?

PhilipCal
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replys, I am currently training for the physical tests but I have a question about them. Some departments have a set number of pushups or situps that you need to be able to do in a minute, do they stop you once you reach their number or let you keep going to see how many you can do?

Most agencies will let you do as many push-ups/sit-ups as you can in the allotted minute.