PDA

View Full Version : Snake in my bathtub, no really !

DesertRat
06-01-2001, 03:37 AM
Oh the joys of living in a rural area. My son just went into the bathroom (my 15 year old thank God, not the 5 year old) and found a snake in the bathtub. I'm just curious. Any of you Floridians or other rural types or maybe a Jr snake G man out ther ever hear of a "DOCUMENTED" incident of this happening to someone else. It is a little wierd because the plug was closed in the tub with water in it and the faucets were off??? I know my daughter left water in it after cleaning it before we all left to her year end show at school. I suppose it's possible this was a pull one over on the town cop prank but doesn't seem likely. I'm open to suggestions on this one folks. Plan to call the college tomorrow but thought might here something interesting here too.

Mitzi
06-01-2001, 08:04 AM
Sounds like it was in the house somewhere, DR and was looking for water maybe? Check behind the dryer vents on your clothes dryer. There may be some shed snake skin there, proving it was in your house all along.
I, personally, would feel a weird bout finding snakes in my house cause I'm really scared of them!

RaychelR
06-01-2001, 10:01 AM
No, but my aunt lived in Florida and she used to see alligators on her porch.

WCall
06-01-2001, 10:46 AM
We have snakes outside all the time, but never inside. Mitzi's suggestion is probably the most likely scenario. They like the dryer area because it is warm. I don't know about your wife, but mine would make us sleep with the lights on if she found out there was a snake that had been in the house long term. Where there's one, there's ..... Happy hunting http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not power. Without wisdom, knowledge is useless.

runningwolf
06-01-2001, 11:16 AM
as a long time desert dweller, i have found snakes in my bed, my bathroom, my living room, my kitchen, my boots...
i have also had them drop from the ceiling onto my bed when i lived in a hoga'an on dine'tah...you can be that woke me up fast... http://www.officer.com/ubb/wink.gif
ditto scorpions, and spiders...
50 years ago, we had to shake our boots out before putting them on...
this area was not so built up, then...
now, we just have the roadrunners and quail, and assorted birds, snakes and scorpions in our yard...
living in a 40 foot 5th wheel is quite different...they have too far to climb i guess... http://www.officer.com/ubb/smile.gif
part of living in a rural area, i think, is knowing you share a critter's old habitat...
i never understood the fear of snakes...
must be a throwback to the eve creation story, eh?
as a non-christian, we believe all things made by the holy creator is good and has a purpose...

Duke
06-01-2001, 11:33 AM
At least it wasn't in the toilet! http://www.officer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Nikon
06-01-2001, 12:08 PM
DR, Don and Mitzi both came up with possible scenarios. The snake might have been in the house for awhile, and needed water. You would be surprised how well they climb. I had a three foot corn snake that used to be able to go straight about half his length. Not against anything, in the middle of his tank. If snakes have something to climb againt, or on, they will surprise most people.

If he wasn't in your house already, he may have came in through the sewer system into your toilet.

When I was very young we lived in Fla. and I remember my father saying that after every heavy rain he would find quite a few snakes in the garage.

By the way, what did he look like, any idea what type of snake he was, or hopefully IS.

DesertRat
06-01-2001, 01:05 PM
I was assuming the in the house looking for water too thing. Thanks Running Wolf. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. As for the family, the oldest boy and I are the only ones that know. Everyone else was asleep and I swore him to secrecy. No need to scare anyone that might be scared by it. Actually the 5 year old is the only one that might find it creepy I think. All my girls are pretty wordly in regard to this desert living and its possibilities. As a matter of fact. If the 11 year old finds out she will be made I didn't keep it. This is the one that thinks rats and other assorted vermin make wondeful house pets. As Running Wolf said, we've already had spiders and scorpians, what's a snake. I think it was a gopher snake but I'm not up on all that stuff. I'm going to take it into the college today and just find out. It's still a baby, about 2-3 feet long, tan, with dark bands around it. It doesn't have a viper head on it,(I do know that much) just more of a rounded off snout. Of course, I'm going to feel like an idiot if they tell me they get the shovel head later in life and it's a baby mojave rattler. This little one almost got me on the first grab attempt. Next time, the 15 year old is grabbing the snake. He can be Jim and I'll be Marlin Perkins. (How many of you are old enough to remember that one?)

And Wcall: yes we already thought of that too. Last night was spent moving furniture, opening cabinets etc. hoping to get anymore out that may be in, especially since this one is so young. Once he got over the heeby geebies, we had a good time with the whole thing.

And Duke: At least had it been in the toilet, I could have just flushed it instead of had to grab it. Either that or just walked my son outside until it let go http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by DesertRat (edited 06-01-2001).]

Mitzi
06-01-2001, 01:28 PM
I have a scary alligator story. I was getting groceries out of the car (this was several years ago). All of a sudden, my neighbor yells to me and screams there is a alligator near me. Well, I HATE alligators and,of course, we have to live in Florida.
I dropped all my groceries and scrambled on the the hood of the car not knowing where this thing is.
Then,I hear hissing and I know he is near me. DANG! I hate those things. Well, there he was, at the gate to our pool. We were in a draught plus it was mating season but I only saw one alligator. I decide I could crawl over the top of the car then hot foot it to the front door. Then, I hear another hiss. There was another much smaller one at the other end of the car.
This was like a nightmare to me. My neighbor called 911 an they called a rescue business to come and get the gators. Police came and just stood by their cars in case these alligators got any ideas! lol!
They were caught and harvested. http://www.officer.com/ubb/frown.gif
Dang, I hate those critters!

Valor55
06-01-2001, 03:06 PM
Funny snake story:

When I was in Boy Scouts we'd spend a week or two at summer camp. All the latrines were, were a big hole in the ground with a wood shack on top. There were benches with holes in them for doing your business. Towards the end of summer the hole starts to fill up. Anyway one of the guys was in there, had his pants around his ankles and was about to sit down on the hole when he looked between his legs and saw a big Black Rat snake looking back at him from the seat/hole. Black Rats are non-poisonous but large and black which is scary looking. Anyway I never saw someone run so fast with their pants around their ankles but he did, streaking across the campground to his tent. http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
It may be a summons to you, but it's therapy for me.

[This message has been edited by valor55 (edited 06-01-2001).]

GDenman
06-01-2001, 03:39 PM
I was off one day playing basketball with the guys when my wife called & wanted me home NOW! Seems she had found a snake in the bathroom wrapped around the towel rack. At the time, I had two teenage Boy Scout trained sons at home so by the time I get home snake is in the front yard in several pieces with everybody in the neighborhood standing around looking at it. My wife was practically hysterical & wanted to move right then & there. We never did find out how the darn thing got in there but looking around we found several places where they could. Some of that expanding foam stuff took care of that (we hope). Knock on wood we haven't had another in the house but those things can go just about anywhere. Get some foam stuff & good luck keeping it a secret.

interloper
06-01-2001, 05:00 PM
I live in the middle of Miami and have found a black snake (little guy--about 8 inches long) in my tub before. He didn't seem to mind sharing the shower with me but I didn't like it a bit!

RaychelR
06-02-2001, 01:16 AM
Mitzi - when you say they were caught and harvested, how do you mean exactly? What is harvesting?

Bikecop
06-02-2001, 01:32 AM
All I can say DR is that where I live there is nothing like that happening. But then again I am in the middle of no where. The question is what did you do about it. Since I hate snakes there would be a few extra holes in the tub.

Have you had pranks like this before? http://www.officer.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bikecop (edited 06-02-2001).]

Don
06-02-2001, 03:34 PM
Hey DR,

I don't think this is such an unusual thing. I'll be willing to bet that you are on either a cesspool or septic system. If you are, your "lil' buddy" came right up through the sewer line, and then through your tub overflow into the bathtub.

I

DesertRat
06-02-2001, 03:45 PM
I didn't even think of the overflow, duh. That's what was bugging me was trying to figure out how he got into the tub. I didn't have anything on the outside of it he could have slithered up and into on. I do keep snake shot but that is only for the rattlers that get into the yard. I haven't had any of those since I got Shaney and Mishi. They hunt everything, except the toads. Apparently, the toads ain't to tasty. They have even gotten so brazen as to dig their hole right next to the dog water bowls. As for this snake, it is a bull snake. I figured it was that or a gopher but I didn't know one from another. I do know. He is now in a small cage that used to house my daughter's tarantula. My son wants to take him to school Monday and then we will turn him lose out by the sheds so he can get back to work. That is if my daughter's "pleeeeeaaaaaase Daddy"s don't get to me before then. She's cute, but I really don't think she's that cute.

FLLawdog
06-02-2001, 03:51 PM
Mitzi - when you say they were caught and harvested, how do you mean exactly? What is harvesting?

They become purses, wallets, belts, paperweights and appetizers...YES...'gator tail is AWESOME!!!

I used to live right on the river before I moved a little more inland. We had the trappers out by the boat ramp for what was believed to be a 6' gator. WRONG! He ended up going about 9'! As they were loading him up, his 5' buddy felt like joining in the fun.

We get snakes in houses all the time. They'll find some way to get in, and either end up in the kitchen or the bathroom. I haven't figured out the bathroom angle yet unless they smell something in there.

Anybody ever mess with a pygmie rattler? Nasty little suckers!

I know exactly what you mean, Mitzi, about standing by the car. We went to one call with a 5 footer in a parking lot. Someone said "why don't you do something?" "Like what? Walk up and grab it? You first."

------------------
FLLawdog
"Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

Guard Dog
06-02-2001, 06:03 PM
DesertRat,
Hearing the snakes in the house and rattlers in the yard posts made me cross Nevada off my list of places to go. The list gets shorter and shorter. I don't like snakes. A cooperhead damn near got me at Ft. Bragg NC when I was a just a pup. Scared the tar out of me.

A friend had a large rat come up into the toliet through the city sewer system. People along his entire block were having rats coming into the houses. The comforts of city life. http://www.officer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

My cousin lives in AZ. He had a rattle snake coiled up right next to his BBQ grill. He started to light the grill and heard the buzz from the rattler and thought it was the propane valve was making noise. When he finally saw the snake it was about 2 foot from his leg.

ALASKA is looking better all the time BURRRRRR but no snakes.

[This message has been edited by Guard Dog (edited 06-02-2001).]

Don
06-02-2001, 08:47 PM
Guard,

I'm not a real big fan of snakes either, but in all the years I lived in the desert I never had what I would consider a "close call." You learn to keep your eyes and ears open though.

------------------
SHOOT LOW SHERIFF, - they

titusrose
06-02-2001, 10:13 PM
I hate snakes. When I lived in the Calif. desert, I found one in my house. I called my husband, he was close and told him, he said don't worry. I then threatened to call Pres. of the oil company and get him out to the house, needless to say hubby took time to find the snake. I also looked for shotgun shells, but was told I would "ruin" the service porch. I do not care, I would rather face a mad pitbull. It is called a phobia, big time.

Mitzi
06-02-2001, 10:40 PM
Usually, unwanted alligators are caught and released elsewhere. They are harvested only if deemed a true danger. The 2 alligatros that scared me were harvested because they were very aggressive, unusual in an alligator.
There another story that was really something. A lady was walking into her kitchen and her dogs were at this floor level window, barking. She told them to hush and then heard this hiss. All of a sudden, all h*** broke loose. This huge alligator flung his body weight into the windows and was able to get into the house. The lady screamed and the dogs (who he wanted for supper) ran into the living room with this huge alligator after them. He got them cornered in the living room but the man of the house came running with the gun and shot it in the head.
But, alligator stories like this are rare. That was probably an alligator who had been hand fed and lost it's fear of people.
They caught an old man feeding alligators off off his back yard. He talked to them like they were pet dogs! And they were HUGE! Only when he was arrested did he get the piture. And at least 5 alligators had to be harvested.
I wouldn't care if all the darn things were. I hate them!

FLLawdog
06-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Oh, now, Mitzi, they're not all that bad! They're just...MISUNDERSTOOD! Yeah, that's it! Sure, they're not cute and cuddly like wittle bunny wabbits, but they do have their own charm. You know...the face only a mother could love! http://www.officer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
FLLawdog
"Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

Mitzi
06-02-2001, 11:10 PM
My dear husband decided to help be get over my deep fear of alligators by taking me to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. I went, thinking it might help. Ever see a lady run the 2 mile dash OUT of somewhere is one second? I tried, I really tried. I listened to the educational lectures and even saw an alligator up close. We went to the lecture on them and what a joy it was to see an alligator sneak up behind the speaker until one of the keepers yelled at him. ACK! So, I was ready to go. But, my husband decided he wanted to walk me by swamp where they had wetland exhibits set up. It was just a wooden deck that went way back and I couldn't help notice that the sides were just covered with chicken wire.
All around me, I saw these beady eyes poked up above the water as if they were choosing off the menu from those who walked by. I started getting very scared so my husband kept his arm around me. ALL OF A SUDDEN, this huge alligator jumps clear up in the air and nabs a bird flying past us. THAT DID IT! I started crying and outran everyone to the car. My husband finally gets there and is very concerned because I was crying and so scared. His comment? "Well, I guess this little experiment didn't work!" lol
When we have company visit, they always want to go there and they do.....without me!

Don
06-03-2001, 11:43 AM
Hey I'll take the snakes over the gators ANY day!

------------------
SHOOT LOW SHERIFF, they