PDA

View Full Version : Tags expired 7 days ago...

VegasGirl74
05-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I was pulled over by a Las Vegas Metro officer yesterday and given a $190 ticket for having tags which expired 7 days prior. I never received any notification from the DMV that they expired in the middle of the month, so I assumed that, like the previous state in which I lived, that I had until the end of the month to renew.
I was with my mom and 2 small kids in the car, we were all wearing seat belts, my license is valid and I had proof of insurance.
As the officer was able to see, I have NO RECORD whatsoever, have never even been pulled over for speeding. I am a completely law-abiding citizen, and this was a totally honest mistake.
The officer was beyond rude, and did so in front of my 2 kids.
Is is normal to receive a ticket for this?!?!? Don't officers have discretion with respect to something like this??? I understand if they had been expired 30 days or more, as that seems to be more of a deliberate infraction, but COME ON!!!!:confused::mad:

luckydog
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
here in florida your registration expires at midnight on your birthday. i routinely cite people for this. i also like it when they tell me they didnt change their address so they never received the renewal notice. in floida not changing your address with the dhsmv is an arrestable offense. not receiving the renewal notice is not sufficient defense. i assume if you look at your copy of the registration is shows the issue and expiration dates.

ateamer
05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
1. What does your prior record have to do with it? All that means is that you haven't gotten a ticket before. It does not mean that you have never violated a traffic law.

2. It is solely your responsibility to read your registration when you register the car and know when it expires. The DMV has no obligation to send you a renewal notice. You assumed that Nevada was the same as your previous state.

3. What does your mom and kids and seatbelts have to do with it?

You could have asked the question and kept it simple without the drama.

VegasGirl74
05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
You'd have to live and DRIVE in Las Vegas to understand your so-called "drama..." and what I call additional details. Nevada DOES send out renewal notices, as I received one addressed to the prior homeowners of my house. Additionally, my registration paperwork has no indication of the expiration date, and I changed my address with the DMV within one week of moving into my home last year, so they had my address. Apparently I need to get my crystal ball fixed....

towncop
05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Giving someone a citation for expired license plates that are 7 days past due is a chicken-$h!t arrest in my book. I don't do it. I'm more inclined to give someone a couple of weeks to get 'em taken care of. Now, I will stop for it, but 99.9% of the time, it is just a written warning.

SoCalSheriff
05-27-2008, 09:50 PM
There is something missing here.... What were you originally pulled over for?

I am sure that your tags (on the plate itself) only have a month and year, not a date. So the only way the officer would have known the tags were expired would be by verifying your registration after the stop. Don't fault the officer because you got caught. If your attitude during the stop was anything like your posts, I am not suprised.

ateamer
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
The officer could have run the plate on his MDC and gotten the registration expiration.

luckydog
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Giving someone a citation for expired license plates that are 7 days past due is a chicken-$h!t arrest in my book. I don't do it. I'm more inclined to give someone a couple of weeks to get 'em taken care of. Now, I will stop for it, but 99.9% of the time, it is just a written warning.

you can arrest for a 7 day expired tag? we can only write a traffic citation for it. now if you have a prior conviction for expired more than 6 months and are driving on tags more than six months again we can arrest.

Fuzz
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I was pulled over by a Las Vegas Metro officer yesterday and given a $190 ticket for having tags which expired 7 days prior. I never received any notification from the DMV that they expired in the middle of the month, so I assumed that, like the previous state in which I lived, that I had until the end of the month to renew.

At some point you were given paperwork that details the expiration date of the registration....never assume anything.

I was with my mom and 2 small kids in the car, we were all wearing seat belts, my license is valid and I had proof of insurance.

It is great you were obeying the law as you should, but this has no bearing on what you were cited for. I'm sure you havent murdered someone too, but you dont need to include that......registration violations are violations.

As the officer was able to see, I have NO RECORD whatsoever, have never even been pulled over for speeding. I am a completely law-abiding citizen, and this was a totally honest mistake.

First of all, the officer may not know that you dont have a record. You could have had a dozen tickets in other states that dont show up on his record and once again has no bearing on what you were cited for. People are always saying that they are mad because they got a ticket when they have a clean record.......if nobody ever got a ticket then everybody would have a clean record now wouldnt they. Second of all....the law abiding citizen comment...... nobody accused you of being a mass murderer or a gang member, but you commit violations just like everybody else. I guarantee you have driven faster than the posted limit or faster than the maximum on the freeway.....you may be a safe driver, but its not like you have never comitted a violation...please dont confuse they two like so many others do.

That is an issue to take up with the department. Many times people get upset about receiving a ticket and start running their mouth giving out attitude and think its the officer who is being rude because he is not tolerating your abuse.....OR he was a rude officer. Take that issue up with the department and his demeanor has nothing to do with the ticket..thats for court.

Is is normal to receive a ticket for this?!?!?

Nothing is normal.....minor violations are handled differently by different officers. It was a violation and he wrote you for it.

Don't officers have discretion with respect to something like this??? I understand if they had been expired 30 days or more, as that seems to be more of a deliberate infraction, but COME ON!!!!:confused::mad:

Before you think that I am jumping to defend another cop I will say that I have never issued a ticket for a 7 day expired registration and discretion on that stop might have served a better purpose. IF you were polite and calm then a warning probably would have handled the situation just fine, but IF you were giving attitude then you get what you get....only you truly know the answer to that. Might I also suggest that if you are in a new state you grab a copy of the vehicle code or find a DMV website so you can brush up on some of your new home states laws. Good luck.

VegasMetro
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Is is normal to receive a ticket for this?!?!? Don't officers have discretion with respect to something like this??? I understand if they had been expired 30 days or more, as that seems to be more of a deliberate infraction, but COME ON!!!!:confused::mad:

I guess if he let you go, he would have been a cool cop???

At a minimum you have lived in Las Vegas a year, since your plates expire one year to the day they were issued. I have lived here 16 years and don't seem to have a problem remembering to renew them. It is not up to DMV to remind you that your vehicle registration is going to expire. As a courtesy, they allow you to renew your plates through the mail.

To answer your question, yes it is normal to receive a citation for a traffic offense. (Expired License Plates) It is not normal to receive a warning.

deputy x 2
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
In Cali, we can cite for expired reg on the next day. And you can get cited more than once. (by different officers) The date of expiration is on the registration that should be in your glove box. We also have the option of "checking" a box where the cite becomes a fix it ticket. You correct the problem, get it signed off and send an administration fee of $15.00.

Don't know if they have that option in NV. Perhaps it was a zero tolerance day, where the officer doesn't have the option. Check the citation and see.

You might have your panties in a knot for nothing. :eek::eek:

Remember....Attitude is everything.

CruiserClass
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
you can arrest for a 7 day expired tag? we can only write a traffic citation for it. now if you have a prior conviction for expired more than 6 months and are driving on tags more than six months again we can arrest.

No, we can't. I think he meant cite. It's a $75 ticket and a possible tow and walk.

I give 15 days before I cite on permanent plates, and if less than 60 days if they show up to court with proof they renewed I'll drop it.

That's just me, though. You're responsible for renewing your plates and if you get a warning its a break, not an entitlement.

fedguy889
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
You'd have to live and DRIVE in Las Vegas

I just spent 7 days in Vegas, I didn't think anything was wrong with the driver's there. Even though everyone in the class I took, kept saying people there were lousy drivers. Though the one guy I cut off, did give me the finger :D

Here in MD, we can cite you as soon as it expires, but I have never written it and probably will not (unless i tell you to fix it and then see you again a short time later). But will stop you for it.

KAA951
05-28-2008, 06:48 PM
It would be a misdemeanor here - and arrestable, though I have never seen someone actually taken to jail (solely) for expired registration. The grace period for renewal is the 364 days leading up to the expiration date!

What I think is funny is that 9 times out of 10 when you stop someone for expired registration they tell you either a) they are on their way to the tag office right now or b) that they were planning on going tomorrow. It really gets funny when you remind them that it is a state holiday and no public offices are open!:D

SgtScott31
05-28-2008, 10:52 PM

Just because you would not do it does not mean you get to sh** on another officer for doing so. We all decide when to use discretion, and since you have posted quite a bit here, you know there are two sides to every story. From the attitude thrown on her first post, I would not be surprised if the officer on scene had a little thrown his way as well. Don't be so quick to knock an officer from a first-time poster.

NBW791
05-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Have you moved recently? It's not the DMV's job to hunt you down. It's YOUR job to notify the state when you move so you can receive your renewal papework on time.

Those are all very good habits to maintain. I am not being sarcastic here - thank you for wearing your seatbelts.

As the officer was able to see, I have NO RECORD whatsoever, have never even been pulled over for speeding.

Your past history really has no bearing on the violation at hand. Sorry...that's just the way it is.

I am a completely law-abiding citizen, and this was a totally honest mistake.

Except for the past 7 days when you've been driving around with expired tags. It may have been a mistake, but traffic laws don't need intent. They are referred to as "strict liability" or "absolute liability" is a similar term I believe. Basically, you can have the best intentions in the world, but if you violate one, you still violated it. The state need not prove intent.

That is unfortunate. Sometimes this job gets the best of us, as with ANY job in customer service, sometimes we speak before we think. It happens. Maybe he just got done getting chewed out by somebody else for an expired tag ticket and he was still on edge. Sorry you were mistreated. No, it's not right, but it does happen from time to time.

Is is normal to receive a ticket for this?!?!?

Yes. I cite for it all the time.

Don't officers have discretion with respect to something like this???

Yes, but most states give a "grace period". For example, around here, when a tag shows expiring in May, it expires precisely at midnight on June 1. So at 23:59:59 on May 31st, it's still valid. At 00:00:00 on June 1, it's expired. Therefore, the state gave you the whole month of May to get it renewed.

I understand if they had been expired 30 days or more, as that seems to be more of a deliberate infraction, but COME ON!!!!:confused::mad:

Part of being a responsible vehicle owner is ensuring your vehicle is properly registered, insured and all of the equipment is up to par on it (lights, wipers, tires, etc.) Driving is a privilege. If you don't want to get your car within the parameters of the law, simply get a ride with someone else or use public transportation.

I have been lied to so many times it's not even funny. I've had people tell me on the weekends or holidays that they're going to "Get that taken care of tomorrow." I smile when "tomorrow" is Sunday and the DMV is closed. I don't believe anything anybody says without verifying it anymore, because people will lie about the most trivial things to get out of the least bit of trouble or save their butts, for example, expired tags.

I used to get 15 days to get them renewed. Then I bumped it down to 10 days because that gives them two full working weeks, assuming most people work 5 day work weeks. I figured in two weeks time, they could surely get to the DMV.

I'm down to about 3 days and I'll cite, but I'll cite the first day of the month if I feel like it. I've cited a few hours after midnight actually in a rare situation. The tags come due the SAME TIME EVERY YEAR. There is really no excuse for not renewing them.

You should be giving your vehicle a quick check now and again (at least once a week). When you're walking out to it at the grocery store or something, walk by your tags and make sure they're still there, the stickers are still there and they are not defaced, obstructed, etc. Make sure your signals work on a dark road, etc. It's just part of being responsible and it's very simple.

Mine come due in November. Just about every day from September until I get them renewed I think about it, because I don't want to let it slip my mind. I know it's expensive, but hey, I drive, so I renew them. Heck, my truck sits in the garage and is driven less than 2,000 miles a year, but it has full coverage insurance and current registration on it 365 days a year (366 on a leap year!)

Last year, I waited until the last day in November that the DMV was open. Yes, there was a line out the door, but it still only took me about 35 minutes to get them taken care of. It's not really that hard.

Not trying to be hard headed here, but really, registration is something that I give very little sympathy for.

Hoosier_Boy
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Maybe Las Vegas needs that extra 190 dollars in revenue... Basically you're tags were expired and he cited you. I don't really see a problem.

ateamer
06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
California DMV sends out renewal notices about two months before being due. That is more than enough time to get the car smogged, make any necessary repairs if it doesn't pass the first time, pay DMV and get the new sticker in the mail. Only a total lop couldn't get it done in two months. If someone moves and doesn't let DMV know of their new address (must be done within 10 days), it's their own fault for not receiving the renewal notice. Again, being a lop.

I used to give two months leeway before citing for registration. Now it's about two days, since they had two months' notice anyway. On top of that, you see the sticker every time you walk up to the car, and if someone can't figure out when that expiration is in relation to the present time, they probably need a slap on the back of the head every now and then to remind them to keep breathing, too.

Oh, and when I cite for expired reg and it's partially due to not advising of an address change, I add on failure to change address.

Landric
06-01-2008, 02:23 PM
In North Carolina the state gives people 15 days after expiration by statute before they can be charged. For example, if your plate says 5/2008 on its face, according to NC statute it is legal to drive it until midnight on 6/15/2008, on 6/16/2008 you can be charged.

Generally speaking I give people another 15 days after that before I start charging, but that is not set in stone. I will stop people for it as soon as it is expired.

Any registration violation in NC is a misdemeanor (including expired), and it is therefore at the officer's option to issue a citation or make an arrest for the violation. I've never arrested anyone for just expired plates, but that doesn't mean I never will.

Narco
06-01-2008, 02:49 PM
you also dont get a notice from the police if you're speeding and that doesn't stop you from getting a ticket. it's YOUR resposibility to get it taken care of. don't be mad cause you got caught riding dirty.

truth be told i persoanlly wouldn't cite someone for just being 7 days expired but to each his own. he could have given you a warning. were you polite?

ExplorerE321
06-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I still can't believe that plates can expire in the MIDDLE of the month!

L223
06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I would consider my self lucky if I were you. In Maryland tags expire on the last day of the month. So on the first at 12:01 am you could get Operating Unregistered $180, Fail to display current registration plates $60, Driving with expired tags $60, Operating motor vehicle with unpaid registration fee $180, and Failure to carry current registration car within vehicle $40. Plus, becuase the vehicle is not registered it is not allowed to be driven and thus is subject to impound ($150 plus $30 per day storage fees).

redbird07
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
1. What does your prior record have to do with it? All that means is that you haven't gotten a ticket before. It does not mean that you have never violated a traffic law.

2. It is solely your responsibility to read your registration when you register the car and know when it expires. The DMV has no obligation to send you a renewal notice. You assumed that Nevada was the same as your previous state.

3. What does your mom and kids and seatbelts have to do with it?

You could have asked the question and kept it simple without the drama.

X's 2

mtxpro752
06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
In CA plates expire 1 year to the day they were issued. Even if it's mid month. CA DMV sends renewal notices FAR FAR in advance. My reg expires in late august and I got my renewal notice last week. 1 day expired is still expired and plenty of notice was given. I have cited for it plenty of times, only a $15 fix it ticket though.

People try to pretend they didn't know their reg was expired by 1-5-10 days 3 months etc, it's like a credit card bill people, if you knew your statement should have come last week and the bill is due this week but you haven't got the statement yet do you think it's ok to not pay it and just wait for the late notice?

It's called responsibility people, if drivers can't be responsible enough to keep their vehicle paperwork in good order what other HUA crap do they pull.

sharpey31
06-06-2008, 11:06 PM

I am with this guy, The only difference is that i write the ticket and give people five days to get the vehicle regitration renewed. This was a CSV. And you guys who gave this guy a hard time on this forum are AH Aggressive and Hostile. This is why people dont like the police give some people a break there are enough AH's out there(AH= aggressive and hostile people)