PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fired…

400Hz
05-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Recently a number of Philadelphia police officers were fired for, well, we all saw the video. My question is; how serious is firing as a form of discipline? I have seen people fired from various jobs over the years and they just go out and find a new one. Does getting fired seriously affect the career of an officer?

RebCop
05-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Generally speaking, being fired in law enforcement is a carreer killer!

Kieth M.
05-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Generally speaking, being fired in law enforcement is a carreer killer!

Living in Georgia (anywhere near Newman, where my G/G/grandfather was taken as a POW?) you've never heard of Maywood, CA...here's one link:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82283&highlight=maywood

But, really, you owe it to yourself to use the search to see all the other threads relating to tarnished cops being hired to work at Maywood, CA, PD.

jakflak
05-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Does getting fired seriously affect the career of an officer?

1+

If you been fired from a law enforcement position you'll basically never be hired in the field again.

rangesgt
05-24-2008, 03:55 PM
1+

If you been fired from a law enforcement position you'll basically never be hired in the field again.

Agreed, I'm sure just about everyone would agree, in fact.

CityTrashman
05-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Recently a number of Philadelphia police officers were fired for, well, we all saw the video. My question is; how serious is firing as a form of discipline? I have seen people fired from various jobs over the years and they just go out and find a new one. Does getting fired seriously affect the career of an officer?

The 4 Officers you speak of will get the jobs back in a year and half time. Well 2 will the other 2 are on probation So they are fired. The New Police Commissioner here is trying to have it HIS way which is not going so well with the FOP Lodge 5.

It's very hard for get another LEO position when your fired for any reason.

slamdunc
05-25-2008, 02:54 AM
If you are a police officer, and the agency terminates your employment, you are considered a liability. Departments do not want 'someone else's problem', and it will be extremely difficult to get another cop job.
Even if you are terminated without good cause, there is always a cloud hanging over you. From an administrator's point of view, it is too risky.

Linkshinter
05-25-2008, 06:40 AM
As far as the unreputable departments out there, that's basically the way it works.

There are always places for "fired" officers to go, but it's generally departments that are known for less than ethical practices, or the "podunk" departments that are desperate for people, or far enough off the beaten path that no one will ever know you were fired.

miltownsrt6
05-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Generally kills the career, but a lady I used to work with has been fired by two departments and just got another full time gig.

Darn lucky if you ask me. These are not shady departments by any means either.

tpc
05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Generally kills the career, but a lady I used to work with has been fired by two departments and just got another full time gig.

Darn lucky if you ask me. These are not shady departments by any means either.

Sometimes with women there is a concern that the firing may have been motivated by gender or sexual orientation, and many departments are trying to increase diversity.

If someone is fired while on probation, sometimes it is simply because the person was not doing a good job. That can be due to lack of life experience or other traits that can change over time. So it is not unusual for people like that to get hired elsewhere.

In California, I think there are some departments in addition to Maywood that have a reputation for hiring fired officers, although not as extreme.

ParkCop 23
05-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I disagree, my old department, not to name names, but in southwestern tennessee in shelby county and bording MS and AR. The would fire guys for complaints they got, just so the person who complained wouldnt sue the city they could say "oh we took care of it we fired that officer" but then they tell the officer to re-apply and you have to go back to the academy, and do FTO again. So........ they use it as a tool cause they are afraid of catching a lawsuit. Instead of backing you up. Crappy huh?

NORCOCOP
05-26-2008, 02:55 AM
I got to agree with the consensus on this one it is generally a career ender, due to the liability issue. I have seen quiet a few officers take deals to leave with out a fight even with weak cases/complaints against them so they could still go get a job. It is a shame but alot of times it is better not to fight it and leave quietly or your career could end up in shambles, through no actual wrong doing.

Baysidegal
05-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Not to mention that it has not been determined if these officers or any officers will face criminal charges.
Two of the officers are done from Law Enforcement since they were on probation and I am not sure if for any other reason then the city could fire them for any reason. That way they say "we fired officer x and y" and say they took action.
The other two officers MAY get their jobs back in about 2 years if they are not charged criminally.
In the meantime they have to find other jobs to make a living. Its a shame.

CityCopDC
05-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Yep. When you do apply to another agency, you have to list the previous places you worked. When its observed that you were terminated from a le gig, its safe to say that application is pretty much no longer considered.

05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
A bonding company would probably snatch them up in a heartbeat.

DCPSDcop
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM

rprince
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Would getting fired form the dept. of corrections mean that you probably wouldn't get hired as a street cop?