PDA

View Full Version : APD Rookies to walk beats

robinbregan
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Check this out.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/apparel/duty-boots/articles/1693368-Atlanta-rookies-to-walk-beats/

ATLANTA — The Atlanta City Council on Monday voted to put rookie police officers on foot and bicycle patrols in high-crime neighborhoods.

The council also passed a resolution urging the police department to create a permanent foot patrol unit.

Councilman Ceasar Mitchell suggested the foot patrol idea in October to slow a rise in crime in Atlanta. Police department figures show an increase last year from 2006 by about 20 percent in categories such as homicide, robbery, auto theft and burglary.

"We want to see a sustained foot patrol presence in our communities," Mitchell said after Monday's vote.

Mitchell proposed putting officers who graduate from the next police academy class in the police department's two zones with the highest crime rates in serious categories like murder. The officers would work in those zones for eight weeks and then be moved into regular duties.

Last year, Zones 1 and 4 had the highest crime totals in most major categories, according to police department data. Zone 1 is located in west-central Atlanta. Zone 4 is southwest Atlanta.

Future police academy graduates would be dispatched to the city's four other police zones.

Mitchell rejected criticism that the City Council should not be involved in setting policy for the police department.

"I strongly feel community policing is an important approach for our community," he said.

Mitchell said the recruits in the current police academy class would participate in the program.

Copyright 2008 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

TheKansan
05-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I wish we had this here in KC. I would love to be out on bicycle or foot every day. Great way to stay in shape, and get paid at the same time. Only problem would be if a suspect flees in a vehicle, you would have no way to give chase.

scuba4321
05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I am 100% in favor of community policing. Never hurts to get out and be seen.

robinbregan
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I wish we had this here in KC. I would love to be out on bicycle or foot every day. Great way to stay in shape, and get paid at the same time. Only problem would be if a suspect flees in a vehicle, you would have no way to give chase.

I agree, great idea if they make sure there are mobile units very close at all times!

MPDCjock
05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I hate the idea. I think it's also a safety issue.

miked6
05-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Check this out.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/apparel/duty-boots/articles/1693368-Atlanta-rookies-to-walk-beats/

ATLANTA — The Atlanta City Council on Monday voted to put rookie police officers on foot and bicycle patrols in high-crime neighborhoods.

The council also passed a resolution urging the police department to create a permanent foot patrol unit.

Councilman Ceasar Mitchell suggested the foot patrol idea in October to slow a rise in crime in Atlanta. Police department figures show an increase last year from 2006 by about 20 percent in categories such as homicide, robbery, auto theft and burglary.

"We want to see a sustained foot patrol presence in our communities," Mitchell said after Monday's vote.

Mitchell proposed putting officers who graduate from the next police academy class in the police department's two zones with the highest crime rates in serious categories like murder. The officers would work in those zones for eight weeks and then be moved into regular duties.

Last year, Zones 1 and 4 had the highest crime totals in most major categories, according to police department data. Zone 1 is located in west-central Atlanta. Zone 4 is southwest Atlanta.

Future police academy graduates would be dispatched to the city's four other police zones.

Mitchell rejected criticism that the City Council should not be involved in setting policy for the police department.

"I strongly feel community policing is an important approach for our community," he said.

Mitchell said the recruits in the current police academy class would participate in the program.

Copyright 2008 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Absolutely ridiculous that city council is setting police policy. I would like to read this ordinance first hand. If it is indeed after academy graduation, these officers wouldn't have even completed FTO. What a liability, not to mention the safety concerns of putting a rookie officer in a foot beat in the highest crime areas of the city. This is a recipe for disaster. I wonder how long it will be before the first foot beat officer is involved in a shooting or is injured. My guess, is not long.

dixiebelle
05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
+1 Miked6... How long will it take the first rookie to shoot someone? That is just such a major liability.

steve h
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
+1 Miked6... How long will it take the first rookie to shoot someone? That is just such a major liability.

Screw that, I would be more worried about the opposite, being too affraid to deffend oneself seems to be the big problem in the area, too many departments make it seem like a crime if am officer has to use deadly or any other force to defends himself.

robinbregan
05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
If it is indeed after academy graduation, these officers wouldn't have even completed FTO. What a liability, not to mention the safety concerns of putting a rookie officer in a foot beat in the highest crime areas of the city.

Keep in mind that the academy for APD is over 6 months instead of 12 weeks. They are a little more qualified than a fresh out of POST mandate officer.

What would be a good idea, is if they just paired them up. Two rookies must be better than one.

FutureLE
05-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Is this following FTO? I cant imagine an FTO walking a foot beat..lol

alpha1906
05-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Screw that, I would be more worried about the opposite, being too affraid to deffend oneself seems to be the big problem in the area, too many departments make it seem like a crime if am officer has to use deadly or any other force to defends himself.

And there in lies the problem I have with a lot of police officers mentality. They are more worried about being shot and dont give a rats behind about shooting someone else. When you joined the department, they gave you a gun, stick, and OC spray. that should have been a clue that this job is dangerous.

The police are supposed to be here toproteact and SERVE. Many young officers dont care about the serve part. They are anxious to bash heads, but are hesitant to stop and give a little old lady inthe hood directions to the store.

I want to be a police officer to help people. Thats ginuine. In the military I learned a thing called selfless service. thats means not to worry about the risks to yu, but definantly worry about the risks to those in your care. Citizens are suposed to be in the care of the police but too many police have this guys opinion that they are there to enforce enforce enforce and not to help.

Now please dont misunderstand. I Love the police I am a former cop and currently I am a reserve deputy. But I like police that want to help. I dont like police that only think about bashing heads.

Narco
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
This is nothing new. I was in the academy there for 27 weeks and on FTO for 6 weeks. You don't officially grad the academy until you are done with FTO. Lots of guys from my class walked a foot beat. I did one for almost 3 months before becoming a "roustabout" where I was filling a zone car.

We were always doubled or tripled up and we worked the absolute highest crime area in the zone. They dropped us off after roll call and picked us up at the end of the shift. In the summer it was miserable...you feel like you are forgotten out there...the walking dead. The perps know you are new so they're more likely to try you. I remember thinking several times about quitting as this was not why I had become a cop. I hated it. Now the guys that were assigned downtown or to Virginia Highlands...that would be a detail I'd volunteer for.

The problem with this is not the foot beat assignment. As someone else said earlier, it's the city council. They should never be allowed to set policy for the PD. Then again, this is APD we're talking about...everything is bass ackwards.

nebraska_deputy
05-10-2008, 01:55 AM
From what I have been told by officers in Lincoln, Nebraska (The third rated party college in the United States) they have a program like this for the downtown area all year around. Two officers are assigned to downtown/bar patrol. They also started using them Segways this last week for the foot patrols.

ATLien
05-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Its a stupid idea.

Lets see. Even though we sometimes are pulling BEAT cars because we don't have enough people in the Zone lets put the new bodies we need on foot beat where they can't do squat in the LARGEST zone in the city.

This isn't downtown and we are a heckuva a lot more spread out than other Zones where footbeats are more successful. The citizens of Z-4 and Z-1 would be better served to have enough people to run a full watch or even better yet cut some of these GINORMOUS beats we have due the annexation(thanks again city council) into something manageable and SAFE.

Its freakin dangerous, it is not SAFE because if they get into something we are often strecthed thin (again back to not having enough people to run a full watch sometimes and being a GIANT and crime ridden zone) it may be a minute for someone to get to them.

But hey thats too much like right I'm sure the councilman knows better with his vast amount policing experience. People on corners work better downtown where the area is more concentrated it aint gonna work on a single corner on Campbellton.

We need smaller beats, with more cars to run those more manageable beats, and a FULLY staffed watch. THEN I can see footbeats working on some hot spots. Instead we are running nonstop to MASSIVE amount callls we have in this zone understaffed while SWORN and TRAINED personnel, are being wasted guarding a corner instead of helping beef up the watch cause a councilman thinks its a good idea:rolleyes:.

But hey what do I know I only try to put out the raging industrial fire with the garden hose given to me and my comrades.

miked6
05-10-2008, 10:46 PM
And there in lies the problem I have with a lot of police officers mentality. They are more worried about being shot and dont give a rats behind about shooting someone else. When you joined the department, they gave you a gun, stick, and OC spray. that should have been a clue that this job is dangerous.

The police are supposed to be here toproteact and SERVE. Many young officers dont care about the serve part. They are anxious to bash heads, but are hesitant to stop and give a little old lady inthe hood directions to the store.

I want to be a police officer to help people. Thats ginuine. In the military I learned a thing called selfless service. thats means not to worry about the risks to yu, but definantly worry about the risks to those in your care. Citizens are suposed to be in the care of the police but too many police have this guys opinion that they are there to enforce enforce enforce and not to help.

Now please dont misunderstand. I Love the police I am a former cop and currently I am a reserve deputy. But I like police that want to help. I dont like police that only think about bashing heads.

Protect and serve is the LAPD motto, not every police agency in the country. The mission of all police agencies is maintain public order and obtain voluntary compliance of the law. That is it! The bottom line is, I'm going home every night. The neolithic military mentality that you have to shead blood for your cause, is as archaic as LAPD's protective and serve motto. As much as I love what I do, this is still a J-O-B.

towncop
05-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Protect and serve is the LAPD motto, not every police agency in the country. The mission of all police agencies is maintain public order and obtain voluntary compliance of the law. That is it! The bottom line is, I'm going home every night. The neolithic military mentality that you have to shead blood for your cause, is as archaic as LAPD's protective and serve motto. As much as I love what I do, this is still a J-O-B.
Yeah, but you're still there to serve as well. ;)

miked6
05-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, but you're still there to serve as well. ;)

There seems to be an outdated noblest concept of service floating around LE these days. Service isn't necessarily associated with service to the individual. It is the act of serving the community as a whole. Writing hundreds of speeding tickets on the highway slows down motorists, and prevents dangerous and potentially deadly motor vehicle accidents. Aggressive investigation of suspicious activity and subsequent arrests, send the message that an agency/community are intolerant of criminal malfeasance. Getting shot or hurt is not in the job description.

nolo
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Don't even get me started on the City! But, the truth is that Atlanta is not a walkable city... and most of the high crime areas are filled with people who hate police.

Needless to say... Nolo smells trouble. Once the temperature hits 85 and school is out, I'm pretty sure some of these rookies are going to get hurt.

91Firebirder
05-12-2008, 12:33 PM
+1 to ATLien, who knows what he's talking about (wonder who u are?!) But the corners the footbeat units are at is like the rest of the Zone, bad areas with people who don't like the police. Its only a matter of time before they get hurt chasing someone when backup is too far away because of the shortages of officers and high call volume. Maybe footbeat works fine in Zone 5, where the tourists feel all warm and fuzzy inside seeing police in their bright shiny traffic vests, but its a bad idea here. But hey, city council knows what they are doing right... they've never screwed up before.

boxing21
05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Such a waste of resources. I'm gonna stop before I even get started on this one...... Hmmmmm yesterday we ran with only 3 "A" sector cars, and had what...6 officers walking the beat. Pfft.

APD_12
05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm all for footbeats and I dont think it makes you less safe or more prone to danger. A Squad car is such a barrier to proper Police/Community interaction and likewise, a squad car is not going to save you when the Sh^t hits the fan. My problem is these footbeaters out in my Zone are way too fresh, they dont even know how to swim and they've been thrown in the deep end ... with no life vest.

They need a little bit of guidance so they not out there standing around p*ssing in the wind. But this is neither here no there since the major issue comes back to City Council not knowing a dang thing about policing. Better yet, let the footbeaters roam and teach them to answer some calls out in A sector freeing up the beat cars or at least lessening their call load. From what I understand these guys are pretty much fixed posts. Its just window dressing out in the Bluff. How long does it take a dope boy to figure out that his corner is safe because the cops arent gonna walk down to him since its 2 1/2 blocks away from their corner?

alpha1906
05-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey guys. I hear what everyone is saying and I agree to a certain extent. But I live in the heart of Atlanta. Ilove off of MLK Dr near cascader rd in an upper middle class neighborhood. Trust me. I feel more comfortable walking in my neighborhood than I would walking in Forsyth county. I wwould be nerveous walking in Kennesaw or Anywhere i north GA actually. So I guess its all relative.

As to Miked's philosophy. I disagree. Police are hear to protect and serve. it should be more than jst a job.It should be a passion. McDonalds is just a job. Working on an assembly line is just a job. But Policing is a profession. There is a big difference between a job and a profession. If you're in it for the money you're in it for the wrong reasons.

Police have certain powers that they have to be intelligent enough to use discriminantly. Thats why most agnecies require formal post secendary education. You have to know how to understand critical thinking.

Miked is right. Police officers are noble and there is nothing wrong with that. They shouldbelieve in helping their community but there inlies the issue. Lets be honest, most police officers arent fromthe communities they work in so they have Miked's attitude that this is just a just. You either comply or you go to jail. They dont gie a rats behind about the little old lady in apt 4B. or the young kid who cuts school and needs some mentoring or the young girlwho is growing and going through issues. They justwant to clockin, do their 12 hours and go home. That kind of thinkingis exactly why communities dont trust the police. They believe thepolice dont care about them, so they dont care about the police. Its sad I think and I wish the Police brass would do something to corect it.

I get upset with Atlanta police barss. They came from these very communities yet do nothing to bridge the gap between the citizens and the police. They need to get off their duff.

Sheepdog93
02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I disagree alpha, police are not here to protect and serve...that is such an overused phrase. Police are here to protect the Constitution of the United States. And Mcdonalds is a passion for some people, just like police work is a passion for you and I. If people did not have passions for different lines of work....well you can imagine how that would be. And most agencies do not require more than a high school degree. A degree in criminal justice does nothing for you on the streets. Maybe you will be able to remember where your periods go and what words to capitalize in a report...but thats about it.

ATLANTAFINEST
03-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I think its a horrible Idea we are to short in the zone and the street to do that. And its a waste of time, we have bigger issues in atlanta than officer on foot beat like maybe the cut in officers pay!! That would be more news to me.