PDA

View Full Version : shooting a dog

kuhawks1
04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I have a question.

The other day, I saw a pit bull viciously attacting a golden retriever. The pitbull was obviously in the fight to kill the other dog. The owner of the golden retriever was trying to get the pitbull off of her dog.

If I had a CCW permit, would I have been justified to shoot the pitbull???

A neighbor finally beat the pitbull with a golf club, then Animal control and the Police arrived and the ACO took the dog.

cbr600_kitty
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
deleted----

CountyCop22
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Actually if it was his golden retreiver then he could have shot the pitbull. He actually probably could have shot the pitbull anyway if the pitbull was the dog doing the attack. But, with the owner of the retriever trying to get the pitbull off, or just any other person in immediate proximity for that matter, he would just be setting himself up for failure... There are just too many variables to go wrong such as hitting the wrong dog since they are fighting and moving around fast or shooting the dog and the bullet bounce off of the rib cage and strike a person, etc...

cbr600_kitty
04-30-2008, 12:19 AM
deleted----

Izzy
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
This seems like a pretty common sense question. Why would you want to put yourself in a high liability situation to save the property of someone you don't know? If the dog was attacking the person, that's a different story... This is an example of why I'm not so sure about ccw. Everyone I know that has one is FAR too excited to get into a situation where they can use it...

David Hineline
05-15-2008, 10:19 PM
If I saw a woman trying to fight a pit bull off her dog, and armed police officer was there and he did nothing because it was just a dog then the officer should be fired. Same for an armed CCW holder when good men do nothing evil flourishes.

Shooting the dog is either right or wrong, does not matter whether or not the shooter is police, or citizen.

cbr600_kitty
05-16-2008, 04:11 PM
deleted----

LA DEP
05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
If I saw a woman trying to fight a pit bull off her dog, and armed police officer was there and he did nothing because it was just a dog then the officer should be fired. Same for an armed CCW holder when good men do nothing evil flourishes.

Shooting the dog is either right or wrong, does not matter whether or not the shooter is police, or citizen.

IF I SHOT the Pitbull in the above scenario, I would be subject to discipline, up to and including termination......

YOU CAN NOT use lethal force to protect PROPERTY (The other dog)......now, if the pitbull was attacking her, that is a completely different story.....

nebraska_deputy
05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
IF I SHOT the Pitbull in the above scenario, I would be subject to discipline, up to and including termination......

YOU CAN NOT use lethal force to protect PROPERTY (The other dog)......now, if the pitbull was attacking her, that is a completely different story.....

1+

Not to be mention possibly charged with discharging a firearm in city limits.

County Mountie
07-31-2008, 03:21 AM
In Kansas, the owner of the golden retriever would have been justified in shooting the pitbull, if your going off of state laws. It would depend on city laws of where the shooting takes place if it would violate laws of a municipality. As for state laws, an owner of livestock, ie, cows, chickens or whatever has the legal right to shoot and kill any dog or animal which is threatening the livestock. This also has been applied to dogs. However, any time you do anything in today's world you open yourself up to civil liability.

hobbsie711
07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
OC spray works wonders on viscious dogs