PDA

View Full Version : 3 man department schedule

lcpdwannabe
03-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm in a 3 man dept. and trying to figure out the best overall schedule.

Chief + two patrolman

Anybody have any suggestions????

Fella
03-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Hire more officers.

lcpdwannabe
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Hire more officers.

That not being an option :(

SammyCal1
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Do you need 24 hour coverage with only 3 guys?

lcpdwannabe
03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you need 24 hour coverage with only 3 guys?

Sorry about that..there is 24hr coverage. There is a lot of on call time. 8hrs per shift are spent patrolling.

trying to work it out so everyone get's the whole weekend off per month.

StudChris
03-23-2008, 07:48 PM
You need at least 4 people to get 24/7 coverage, and that's with no one ever getting any time off. It's impossible with 3 people.

kannahspapa
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Do you have any part-timers? If not about the only obvious solution would be utilizing a weekend call in like detectives in larger dept's. I would be very interested in seeing any workable solutions.

lcpdwannabe
03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
The three of us live in the city. There is a lot of on call time. I'm trying to spread the on call time around especially on the slow days. (which Most are).

wild800
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, I thought we were short handed! Do you have the assistance from the Sheriff's Department or a near by city available for back up?

How about the Chief takes M-F 0800-1600, Officer One takes M-F 1600 -2400, Officer Two takes M-F 0001 - 0800. Each Officer and the Chief takes on call weekend (24-7) Every third week.

Officers on call would be required to be within 25 miles of the city at all times, and be able to be reached via police radio or cell phone.

Compensation for on call weekend paid as a lump sum of say $200.00, if no calls for service are received. Four Hours overtime time and one half to be paid for any call out unless it goes over four hours of work.

Woffski
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Dude, you are not serious are you??? Wow, call 911 and get some help!!!!!;)

ateamer
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Dissolve the police department, be absorbed by the sheriff's office, probably get much better pay and benefits, get more career opportunities and have better coverage and resources.

Sic_Semper
03-24-2008, 09:07 AM
As mentioned above it sounds like you guys need to look at getting a Reserve Officer program together. I don't see how you can do 24 hour shifts with 3 people either. I have worked in small departments most of my career and have been there as the lone man on evening shift serving 5k + people. It's dangerous and will burn you out if it keeps up but it was generally only once in a blue moon with us. Day and evening shifts with on call after midnights sounds like your only viable option until your town council or whatever governing body gets its head out of its azz and gets you guys more people. My condolences!

CityCopDC
03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
You need at least 4 people to get 24/7 coverage, and that's with no one ever getting any time off. It's impossible with 3 people.

You beat me to it.

LeanG
03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
With only three people...

You need to dissolve the midnight shift and have officers on standby.
You need a standby rate, or else no one will ever come out
You need 2 12 hour shifts: 4a-4p & 12p-12a....wait, that won't work.

Sorry, I'm clueless

blackdog797
03-24-2008, 10:13 AM
deleted profile

Maddogg123
03-24-2008, 10:32 AM
You need at least 4 people to get 24/7 coverage, and that's with no one ever getting any time off. It's impossible with 3 people.No it's not, the little town I'm from had 3 officers 24/7 for many years. The schedule was like this.

1st officer - Work Monday through Friday days for a month

2nd officer - Work Wednesday through Sunday nights for a month

3rd officer work Saturday Sunday days and Monday Tuesday nights for a month

At the end of a month the officers changed shifts. This is of course with 12 hour shifts from 4 to 4. Then again you fall into the problem of vacations and whatnot, but they worked it out for several years.

LeanG
03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
No it's not, the little town I'm from had 3 officers 24/7 for many years. The schedule was like this.

1st officer - Work Monday through Friday days for a month

2nd officer - Work Wednesday through Sunday nights for a month

3rd officer work Saturday Sunday days and Monday Tuesday nights for a month

At the end of a month the officers changed shifts. This is of course with 12 hour shifts from 4 to 4. Then again you fall into the problem of vacations and whatnot, but they worked it out for several years.

60 hour work weeks? That's brutal. After a month, I'd need a vacation.

And.....wouldn't it be cheaper to hire another officer instead of paying 48 hours of OT every WEEK? (at time and a half, or double)

Maddogg123
03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
60 hour work weeks? That's brutal. After a month, I'd need a vacation.

And.....wouldn't it be cheaper to hire another officer instead of paying 48 hours of OT every WEEK? (at time and a half, or double)Those guys still pull over 200 hours a month.

They aren't required to pay OT here for the size of the department. It was all straight time. However they do pay better than any other little town around here.

ateamer
03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
That's more than brutal, it's BS. Work 20 hours extra per week, every week, and not get overtime for it? And there are actually people who say cops don't need unions.

CPD7297
03-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm curious and don't mean to be disrespectful, but what does a three man PD actually do regarding crime prevention, calls for service, etc?

Bearcat357
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Dissolve the police department, be absorbed by the sheriff's office, probably get much better pay and benefits, get more career opportunities and have better coverage and resources.

That's not going to work...as MOST Sheriff's Departments are worse off than the cities......at least in MO and I would suspect some parts of Iowa as well.....

sgttom
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Off the top of my head:

Chief -

1st week: Work Mon through Friday, 0800-1700
2nd week: Work Mon through Wed, 0800-1700
Work Thurs - 0800-1600 total every 2 weeks: 80 hours
Every other Friday off

(basically a 9/80 schedule AND avoiding OT).

Officer 1: Work Sunday - 1000-1900 (or later times)
*on call before / after weekend start time
Monday through Wednesday - 1700-0200

Officer 2: Work Thur to Fri - 1700-0200
Saturday - 1000-1900 (or later times)
* one all before / after weekend start time

Officers basically work a modified 4/10 style schedule.

On weekdays, always one officer on until 0200.

Each officer is on call after 0200 until the next shift starts
OR
Rotate the on call every weekend including the Chief on the
schedule

OR:

Officer schedule: the same as above however rotate the days off so, every
(I believe) third week, each gets a piece of the
or all of the weekend....

(schedule does not include Chief, who is manning primarily day shift hours)

Officer 1: Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, (Off Thu to Sat)
Officer 2: Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun (Off Mon to Wed off)
Officer 1: Mon to Thur (Off Fri to Sun)
Officer 2: Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, (Off Tues to Thur)
Officer 1: Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri (Off Fri to Sun),
Officer 2: Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon (Off Tue to Thu)

etc...... down the line.

allows for 8, 9 or 10 hour schedule. suggest keeping it at 8 to allow for call out time to be added.

with 3 LEO's, it's difficult to say the least.

The schedule will be affected by any one of you taking time off, i.e. "vacation" or out ill.......

Go with the suggestion of a Reserve Program, whether the Reserve Officer is paid or volunteer, it's HIGHLY worth it.

Woffski
03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Quit and get a better job!!!!! That is my advise.:cool:

Sierra290
03-25-2008, 06:16 AM
I used to work at a three officer station out west. The area was basically a small town with large rural properties, with a town population of approx 3000, divisional pop of approx 4800, and covering an area of 25,500 sq km. The nearest 24hr station was 110km away with a single officer station 50km away.

It's a while since I worked there so bear with me on the rostering. There was no real pattern to it but generally there would generally be one officer working Monday to Friday 8a - 4p. We had an admin lady who also worked 8a - 4p Monday to Friday who would handle most of the over-the-counter work (drivers and weapons licensing, general inquiries etc.) Occasionally we would have someone working afternoons during the week but we always covered Friday and Saturday nights which were a mix of 4p - 12a, 6p - 2a and a few 8p - 4a. The order was random as we didn't want the locals getting used to us finishing at a particular time and waiting for us to go home before driving home FOP. Due to restrictions on the number of weekend units we had budgeted, there was usually someone working during the day on Saturday and every other Sunday.

The on-call was a bit of a joke with the old Sgt stating that the next person on shift was on call. This meant that even though you had the weekend off, you could still be on call if you were working the day shift on Monday :eek:! As the junior bloke this happened a few times to me... When he was on leave we worked a week on week off call with the majority of rest days on the off call week. Every call out was a minimum three hours O/T at double time (?) with a higher rate for public holidays.

Not sure what your leave entitlements are but here we have roughly 6 weeks annual leave which means in a three officer station, you were down to two officers for four months of the year!. Strangely enough it made rostering easier but obviously the time on call was longer.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post but bottom line I worked all or part of a weekend three weekends every four weeks with one weekend completely off. There was no real system to it, but that had the advantage of being flexible enough to accommodate a social life, such as it was. Examine when your calls for service are and roster accordingly I might be able to find a few old rosters if you want to drop me a pm. :)

just joe
03-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I don't know if it is an issue with your dept., but a dept. I used to work for had a lot of "on call" hours until a complaint was made to the feds (wage and labor people) and the village was told that all hours spent "on-call" had to be paid just like regular work hours. You guys really need a reserve program.

jricks
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
I was in that same situation a few months ago. One of my officers was deployed leaving three of us to cover the city. We did 10 hour shifts with no overlap taking call from 03-07, with one person taking call from 17-07 two nights a week. It did require some split days off but we got through it. Make sure you get compensated for the on-call time.

If you email me at spdcops@earthlink.net I will send you one of our schedules from that time period.

gammyland
03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
By the time you figure out how to make a schedule work, the'll eliminate a position.

VegasMetro
03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
What do you guys do when you need a back up unit?

Bearcat357
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
What do you guys do when you need a back up unit?

Pray there is someone from the Sheriff's Office or State Patrol on and is able to get over to help.....or we had mutal aid agreements with the other smaller towns in the county to back them up.....

If that doesn't work.....hope your dispatcher is good and starts calling for help everywhere.... That did happen a time or two in the place I worked part-time at. I was it for a domestic....and it got crappy fast....and I ended up having folks from all over the place show....

Same thing when we had the active shooter at the Catholic Abbey in a small NW MO town. They had folks from 60 miles away showing up....plus calling out folks off-duty....

JI603
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow...

I think you should be the chief on Mondays and Tuesdays, the other guys can split the rest of the days between them, and on sundays you guys just hang a 'gone fishin' sign on the door!

Maddogg123
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
That's more than brutal, it's BS. Work 20 hours extra per week, every week, and not get overtime for it? And there are actually people who say cops don't need unions.I wouldn't have a real big problem with it considering, like I said, they pay well more than anywhere else. They could cut the pay to compensate for the overtime pay, but it would still end up being around the same money each paycheck. The only difference would be that now you get "overtime pay".

car2back
03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I also work at a 3 (fulltime) man dept. Here's out set up

Chief works Monday -Thursday 0700-1700
Officer 1 works Tuesday - Friday 1600-0200
Officer 2 works Friday 0700 -1700, and Saturday - Monday 1600-0200

During the week, the time from 2am to 7am is patrolled by the local SO and any reports are taken by the on call officer. call time is split up half and half.

On the weekend, the SO and/or reserves patrol 0200-1600 and any report calls are handled by the on call officer.

Up side is, we get 3 days off a week; down side is if there's alot of report calls on the weekend during the 1st half of the day, officer 2 doesn't get much rest. We also are not paid overtime, and the city justifies it through some federal labor law that says if an agency doesn't have 5 employees, they don't have to pay. oh well, I'm getting lots of experience, and will be certified before long so I can move on to greener pastures :D

Please don't knock us small dept guys; we're just as trained as anyone else, and work just as hard or harder. We also deal with some killer politics, as it's harder to just "blend in" the background. If it's a rough small town like mine, we see plenty of action too ;)

DOAcop38
03-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Chief + two patrolman

reserves- all it will cost is maybe insurance and uniforms( they can BUY their own guns),then suggest your chief seek out state/fed anti crime grants- i'm sure you can DHS for grants,providing you direct some of your dept broadening issues to "homeland security" based needs. Lastly, hire some of the local kids as CSOs-say the 16-20 yr olds-you can pay them smaller amounts than what you pay officers,they can man phones ,radios,respond out for cold -non violent calls

DOAcop38
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Chief + two patrolman

also- make room( if you have it) for county sheriffs and state Pd officers to have a "substation" in your town...