PDA

View Full Version : FHP Shift Schedule, Etc.

Department 30
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Are the shift schedules 5/2? Are they considering 4/3 in the future?

BDU, etc. uniforms in the future? Looks doubtful, as the uniform seems to be a big part of their tradition?

Tasers? On the horizon?

FRS on the horizon?

Off-duty carry policy?

Can a trooper explain CIP assignments and their job? Per troop assignment, etc.

Thanks!

More misc questions to come...

LeanG
03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Are the shift schedules 5/2? Are they considering 4/3 in the future?

5/2 or 4/3 (normally reserved for DUI squads, but Miami doesn't have that anymore...lack of manpower)

BDU, etc. uniforms in the future? Looks doubtful, as the uniform seems to be a big part of their tradition?

We have BDU's, but they're exclusively for training or natural disasters. (k-9 and traffic homicides wear them from time to time)

Tasers? On the horizon?

Possibly, but I think they want us to get into a controversial shooting first :confused:

FRS on the horizon?

We have the FRS

Off-duty carry policy?

Yes. Can't be a cop if you don't carry off duty :)

Can a trooper explain CIP assignments and their job? Per troop assignment, etc.

It's a position that's advertised whenever there are openings. Our felony teams work hand in hand with our k-9 guys.

Department 30
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Cool thanks!

BOSMIA
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Man 4/3 are so much better. I hope they switch over soon.

Department 30
03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Me too. Overtime:D

How much overtime does an average trooper work?

frostbiteCRA
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
4/3 sounds good but I think the man power issue is preventing us from going to that. Trust me 5/2 sucks!
As far as overtime goes it depends: here are 2 types of overtime.

Regular Overtime: this happens when you have to handle an incident at the end of your shift and for the most part if its something that may take a few hours, another Trooper that just came out for the shift will take it. However, most of the time your supervisor will tell you to off-set (take that time that you earned off the next day) because the state has no money for overtime. Now, if it's at the end of the weekly cycle or if you can't off-set it due to man power, then you earn it.

Off-Duty Police Employment, SOAR, HIREBACK: These are other forms of off-duty (Overtime) and the pay rate varies. Off-Duty is private sector and is at a set rate ($35, $45) depends that the company pays. Most private sector off-duties are $40 and up.

SOAR is state overtime and that is paid at 1.5 your hourly salary rate. That is usually out on the road patrolling and aggressively enforcing the traffic laws.

Hireback is DOT overtime and for the most part is also 1.5 your hourly salary rate. This is usually security at a rest area, service plazas on the turnpike, and some other form of security/enforcement (i.e. Toll enforcement, HOV enforcement, construction zone speed enforcement,etc.)
We are authorized to work 32 extra hours a week of any combination of overtime/offduty (for a total of 72 hours a week). Due to our current pay issue, a lot of Trooper will work at least 16 extra hours a week, some work 32. I don't know how they do it....

BOSMIA
03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks frostbite

Department 30
03-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Ill be working +32. Can't wait. Seriously.

With the off-duty carry policy question I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant things like required to carry cuffs as well, or only duty weapon or one on an authorized list, or required to carry badge next to weapon.

Some agencies have these types of finer points in their carry policy, and was wondering what was contained the Highway Patrol's.

And thanks Frostbite for your continued valuable information.

BOSMIA
03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Ill be working +32. Can't wait. Seriously.

With the off-duty carry policy question I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant things like required to carry cuffs as well, or only duty weapon or one on an authorized list, or required to carry badge next to weapon.

Some agencies have these types of finer points in their carry policy, and was wondering what was contained the Highway Patrol's.

And thanks Frostbite for your continued valuable information.

wow 32 hrs of OT would burn me out in no time!

fMA2FL
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't working so much OT reflect on your performance when on duty? I personally would love the overtime but wouldn't want to overdo it to the point where my being tired made me complacent. We have to be alert at all times when on duty

frostbiteCRA
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Look, when your off-duty, YOU ARE OFF-DUTY! It's up to you if you want to carry your gun (if you do you will need to carry your credentials of course). But you are not required to carry handcuffs, of anything like that. I mean, bro! you are resting and enjoying your time off. I could see if you are a rookie you may want to get involved in stuff, but here in So Florida we have plenty of police around that can respond to anything.
Now, I always carry my gun just in case some nut threatens my life and that of my family. Like it happened yesterday at a Wendy's restaurant in West Palm Beach.

BOSMIA
03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Look, when your off-duty, YOU ARE OFF-DUTY! It's up to you if you want to carry your gun (if you do you will need to carry your credentials of course). But you are not required to carry handcuffs, of anything like that. I mean, bro! you are resting and enjoying your time off. I could see if you are a rookie you may want to get involved in stuff, but here in So Florida we have plenty of police around that can respond to anything.
Now, I always carry my gun just in case some nut threatens my life and that of my family. Like it happened yesterday at a Wendy's restaurant in West Palm Beach.

Amen to that

Tundra87
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
does FHP have a DRE(drug recognition experts)..if so how would a trooper be eligible to receive the training...i know corporals are THI certified..could one be a K9 unit and DRE? thanks!

gomets11
03-04-2008, 11:20 PM
does FHP have a DRE(drug recognition experts)..if so how would a trooper be eligible to receive the training...i know corporals are THI certified..could one be a K9 unit and DRE? thanks!

I know they do because one of my SFST Instructors was an FHP DRE

BOSMIA
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
4/3 sounds good but I think the man power issue is preventing us from going to that. Trust me 5/2 sucks!
As far as overtime goes it depends: here are 2 types of overtime.

What about going to the 12's?

ChRdy21799
03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
12's would be cool something like 4/4. But what frostbiteCRA said...it's manpower thing. All the other shifts seem more family/officer friendly except 5/2

frostbiteCRA
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
12's would be cool something like 4/4. But what frostbiteCRA said...it's manpower thing. All the other shifts seem more family/officer friendly except 5/2

You got it!!! 12's would be good, but if we can't get 10's, I doubt we'll get 12's. I would personally would love to work 4/3's.

Department 30
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Would switching to 4/3s be a matter of a trooper petition, or a budget issue?

BOSMIA
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Comes down to staffing from what others are saying

Florida Smokey
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
In my district we work a mix of 5/8 hr days and 4/10 hour days. I really like the 10's.

BOSMIA
03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
What about shift times. Do they rotate. For example week 1 you work midnights and week 2 you work mornings? If so, that is tough on the sleeping schedule.

frostbiteCRA
03-07-2008, 09:18 AM
What about shift times. Do they rotate. For example week 1 you work midnights and week 2 you work mornings? If so, that is tough on the sleeping schedule.

Some districts rotate every 4 weeks (28 day cycle),while others rotate every 8 Weeks or 56 day cycle. One cycle you Will work 6am-2pm, next cycle 2pm-10pm. There is also a relief schedule, which covers other Troopers days off. For the most part, you will work mids once ever 6 months or so.
Again, this is not every district, but for the most part this is a good general rule of thumb.
:)

BOSMIA
03-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks Frost. For me personally, that would put a toll on me.

ChRdy21799
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
56 day cycle wouldn't be bad.

How do the THI's work? Are they strickly dedicated to fatalities or are they assigned to patrol duties as well?

frostbiteCRA
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM
56 day cycle wouldn't be bad.

How do the THI's work? Are they strickly dedicated to fatalities or are they assigned to patrol duties as well?

Depends on your district. In my district, if a corporal is not actively working on a case (and some cases could take months to complete based on a lot of factors) they are out on the road helping out. Remember, EVERY TROOPER in the Highway Patrol, no matter what rank, IS A TROOPER FIRST. Even the command staff is required to come out and work the road during Holidays, natural disasters, etc. I think that's what sets FHP apart from a lot of other agencies (not to say that other agencies don't do the same). In the Highway Patrol is leadership by example. Although I must admit that we have some supervisors that should have never gotten promoted. But this is like everywhere else. We have our good and we have our bad. Some supervisors suck others you would follow to the end of the world.

frostbiteCRA
03-07-2008, 01:29 PM

You know what? Sometimes it does takes a toll on you, but like everything else you get used to. When you first start, your world is a mess, specially if you have a family. But then you get used to it. Good thing about rotating schedule is that sometimes you are off during the week when everyone else is at work. So I take advantage of that and run my errands, go shopping when the stores are empty, go have lunch with my kids at school, etc.
Every 3 months, because the way we rotate, we get a 5 day break (so we are off Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun).

futurencLEO
03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

You should probably withdraw your application then.

You seem to "have a bad taste" about many things with the FHP. If you are already complaining about the way things are run, it will probably only get worse for you.

fMA2FL
03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm Extremely anxious to test in April. I spoke to a nice lady at the recruitment office that told me even though Im scheduled to do the PAT in april I still have a shot at 116th. My credit isn't the absolute best due to financial hardships, But what are your thoughts on me consolidating my accounts. I have an appointment to do so next tues. and would like to square my credit away asap. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ChRdy21799
03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
fMA2FL, Good luck with your April PAT. I'm a 116th hopefull as well.

My advice would be get it all squared away before you turn in your background packet. I would imagine you wouldn't want anything hanging over you head while they do background on you.

fMA2FL
03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Ill hopefully have everything taken care of on tuesday. I want this career opportunity really bad lol. I've been working out for the last two months religiousally and trying to take care of anything that could possibly disqualify a person. Its a shame when potential employees are DQ'd for something some people cant help sometimes.

ChRdy21799
03-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey frostbite, do you know how the coverage works on Alligator Alley?

I've seen more FHP activity there recently, even way out in no where. I think a majority of it is Collier County but it seems the "stranded" parts are more accesible from Broward. Just wondering!

BOSMIA
03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
You should probably withdraw your application then.

You seem to "have a bad taste" about many things with the FHP. If you are already complaining about the way things are run, it will probably only get worse for you.

Thanks for the advice. Although, I am not going to follow it.

The "bad taste" was in regards to no response to my emails

My comment about the shift was that it may take a toll on me. I was not "complaining" as you say.

frostbiteCRA
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey frostbite, do you know how the coverage works on Alligator Alley?

I've seen more FHP activity there recently, even way out in no where. I think a majority of it is Collier County but it seems the "stranded" parts are more accessible from Broward. Just wondering!

The reason as to why you are seeing more FHP activity is because there is now an FHP squad dedicated to the Alley only. Also, there is an initiative to crack down aggressive drivers, so a lot more Troopers are out there in force.

BOSMIA
03-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Can anyone let me know how it works to go back home to see your family on the weekends of the Academy. Thanks

frostbiteCRA
03-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Can anyone let me know how it works to go back home to see your family on the weekends of the Academy. Thanks

Ussually on Fridays after classes (5:00pm) you are given liberty until Sunday at 9:00pm. You can stay at the academy or go out and enjoy your liberty time. I used to go home every other weekend.
We had a few classes on a saturday, but that was just one time to make up for a lost day.

ChRdy21799
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
What is the maximum amount of Recruits the Academy will hold for each class? Also....how do they decide if a Recruit will go to the Turnpike Troop or a regular Troop within their county?

BOSMIA
03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Ussually on Fridays after classes (5:00pm) you are given liberty until Sunday at 9:00pm. You can stay at the academy or go out and enjoy your liberty time. I used to go home every other weekend.
We had a few classes on a saturday, but that was just one time to make up for a lost day.

Thanks

frostbiteCRA
03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
What is the maximum amount of Recruits the Academy will hold for each class? Also....how do they decide if a Recruit will go to the Turnpike Troop or a regular Troop within their county?

The old academy had a class of 100 recruits at least once. Not sure about the new one. The needs of FHP comes 1st as far as troop of assignement.

Department 30
03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Given the current state of affairs, is it possible that they will have a 100 count recruit class this time around?

ChRdy21799
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
They advertised this Academy class as filling it with as many qualified candidates as possible....so I would think having 100 Recruits is a possibility.

frostbiteCRA
03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Given the current state of affairs, is it possible that they will have a 100 count recruit class this time around?

Honestly I could not tell you. But I wish they put 200 recruits in the academy at once. We NEED people on the road. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that it is based on the budget. It costs something like 75K to 100K to train each recuit, so depending on the budget and how much they already have....You follow me?

BOSMIA
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Budget Budget Budget

We are going to be hearing alot of this in the near future I fear.

frostbiteCRA
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Budget Budget Budget

We are going to be hearing alot of this in the near future I fear.

YUP! Been hearing those words since I became a Trooper...And I never goes away!:)

Department 30
03-16-2008, 02:18 PM
You would think it has to come around sometime.

Anybody have a link to the FHP proposal to the legislature, and if its been brought up yet?