PDA

View Full Version : trooper stephen murray mean anything to you?

stylett9
02-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi all,

I'm a member on a car forum when a random post was put up about "all officers should be like this one"

here is the provided link.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s

As everyone started posting about how that officer kept his cool, a few of the forum members who are LEO's said that most officers certainly SHOULD NOT be like the officer in the video. They won't give full details because they don't want the thread to turn into a cop hating thread. But from watching the video you can see the officer seems to keep his cool....but has a bit of a sarcastic personality going. Also, you can notice that only the 2nd half of the traffic stop is being shown.

so my question is, can anyone fill me in on this trooper "Stephen Murray" of Lincoln Maine on what really happened with this traffic stop and why this story is very twisted?

thanks. :-)

michael

jws8308
02-25-2008, 03:48 AM
I love this video, its a classic.

To answer your question, it got the job done, didn't it? Some police can take screaming and yelling for entire periods of time, and well, I guess some can't. I can tell you though that you can't identify one rude comment come out from that trooper's mouth. So when joe blow goes to complain about how rude an officer was to him, where's his evidence.

"Kill them with kindness". Sometimes this is even better then arguing with a perp.

JI603
02-25-2008, 03:55 AM
I guess you could say the story's twisted because there are two points of view...

One bunch of people like the video and the trooper because he just stands there and takes the guy yelling, saying 'sign here - here's the court, here's the fine, $200, etc. etc." When the dude flips out and tears up the ticket, he tells him 'you forgot to pick up a piece' and so on...

The other bunch of people think that there's no reason to write a ticket for that guy, when the fine amount is obviously such a big deal and he's that worked up about it... there are ways to solve problems/correct minor issues at the lowest level. You probably could have told that guy the amount of the fine and he would have wigged out a little less.

I don't write too many tickets myself, and for what it's worth, I identify a little bit with the working stiff, to whom $200 is a good amount of money.

Frank Booth
02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I thought it was funny, but I also thought the trooper was baiting the heck out of the guy. You can retain your cool and still be a jerk...or unprofessional....or a pain in your bosses' *** when the complaint comes....I thought I heard somewhere that the trooper was reprimanded for this stop? Maybe someone from Maine S.P. will clarify.

I don't write too many tickets myself, and for what it's worth, I identify a little bit with the working stiff, to whom $200 is a good amount of money.

Plus, I believe this video has been around for almost 20 years. Way longer than UTube...so his $200.00 is more like $400.00 in today's dollars...and that trooper is probably retired by now...

CityCopDC
02-25-2008, 07:08 AM
I thought it was funny, but I also thought the trooper was baiting the heck out of the guy. You can retain your cool and still be a jerk...or unprofessional....or a pain in your bosses' *** when the complaint comes....I thought I heard somewhere that the trooper was reprimanded for this stop? Maybe someone from Maine S.P. will clarify.

Plus, I believe this video has been around for almost 20 years. Way longer than UTube...so his $200.00 is more like $400.00 in today's dollars...and that trooper is probably retired by now...I swear I read somewhere that the trooper was fired a short time later? :confused:

CruiserClass
02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
I saw a brief interview with him a few months back on one of those "amazing video" type shows. He never said anything about repercussions or a complaint resulting from the stop.

He just talked about the importance of keeping your cool and continuing to watch for danger signals instead of getting wrapped up in the argument and losing awareness.

stylett9
02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I swear I read somewhere that the trooper was fired a short time later? :confused:

that's what i heard too but after searching google i couldn't find anything. There was more to this video that happened in the first half of the traffic stop that got this guy fired/in some kind of trouble... I'm hoping one of you officers on this forum knows what happened? It's got me really curious.

t150vsuptpr
02-25-2008, 01:20 PM
He just talked about the importance of keeping your cool and continuing to watch for danger signals instead of getting wrapped up in the argument and losing awareness.
And as I recall, that's all he did. I've had guys go off like that over the simplest of things, like radar detectors with no points and only a $30 or $40 fine. Write them a speeding ticket or reckless driving ticket and all is smooth, get into something like that they would just explode sometimes.

Reach a certain point, and I'm not going to say anything extra. I also recall that at one time early in my career, my department also only wanted you to tell a violator to contact the court for the fine amounts, etc and most of us likewise, would not go into fine amounts, merely tell a person to contact the court at the number or address located on the summons.

SOP.

Frank Booth
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
and most of us likewise, would not go into fine amounts, merely tell a person to contact the court at the number or address located on the summons.

I suppose you weren't allowed to say "If you have to ask, you can't afford it?"

Scott677
02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I was told by one of our instructors at the academy that the trooper did not have his camera on during the first half of the stop because he was trying to get the driver mad and riled up. He did this because his captain had been on him for the way he acted with other motorists and the complaints he had received. He then turns it on in the second half and you all see what happens. At the very end of the video you can hear the trooper say, something along the lines of lets see if you like how I handled that captain. I thought it was funny until I heard that.

stylett9
02-25-2008, 07:16 PM
I was told by one of our instructors at the academy that the trooper did not have his camera on during the first half of the stop because he was trying to get the driver mad and riled up. He did this because his captain had been on him for the way he acted with other motorists and the complaints he had received. He then turns it on in the second half and you all see what happens. At the very end of the video you can hear the trooper say, something along the lines of lets see if you like how I handled that captain. I thought it was funny until I heard that.

i knew there was more to it! Can any other officers/deputies/troopers chime in and confirm this?

83cane
02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
We've observed this video in training. It is my understanding that the trooper did have his camera off for the first part of the traffic stop. After antagonizing the motorist the trooper then turned on the camera for the second part of the stop.

The trooper was fired within several months.

nebraska_deputy
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
that's what i heard too but after searching google i couldn't find anything. There was more to this video that happened in the first half of the traffic stop that got this guy fired/in some kind of trouble... I'm hoping one of you officers on this forum knows what happened? It's got me really curious.

If I remember right they told us in the academy he was fired, but not for this stop. They said it had something to do with a report he wrote or something to that nature. They had also made mention about his camera being off at the start of the stop. They went on to tell us no matter how funny the video seems we should be conducting our stops like this.

CruiserClass
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
http://hottcops.blogspot.com/search/label/worlds%20worst%20drivers

This site has some screenshots of the interview I was talking about, but I can't find the video or a transcript anywhere.

kknudsen
02-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Nothing confirmed here but I had heard that the trooper was already being investigated for something else and he stayed real cool in this stop because he thought it was IA setting him up. Version I heard had nothing unusual occuring in the begining of the stop, he just turned on the camera as the guy started acting up.

j706
02-26-2008, 02:23 AM

The exact same thing we were told in our basic academy.

MaineSqueeze
02-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I brought up this thread to a Maine State Trooper who knew Trooper Murray on a personal level. This is real, he did not try to get the driver fired up. The driver was simply having a bad day. I agree, there are some unanswered questions about why the 2nd part was filmed. But Trooper Murray served a great career with the Maine State Police and handled that situation very well.

splinterhands
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
The exact same thing we were told in our basic academy.

Same here. We watched it once showing how to keep your cool. THEN another instructor showed the video again and stated that he was fired for agitating people then turning the camera on to get just their reaction. I've not been able to confirm this though.

MaineSqueeze
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Same here. We watched it once showing how to keep your cool. THEN another instructor showed the video again and stated that he was fired for agitating people then turning the camera on to get just their reaction. I've not been able to confirm this though.

You cant confirm it, because its not true. I talked to a trooper who knew him personally.

GGG
02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
You cant confirm it, because its not true. I talked to a trooper who knew him personally.

So why was he fired? Talking to someone who knew him does not confirm anything either?

MaineSqueeze
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
So why was he fired? Talking to someone who knew him does not confirm anything either?

He resigned for a new career. He wasnt fired.

Taylor1430
02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I dont know what their policy is about recording traffic stops but perhaps every stop is not recorded. I'm sure the driver of that vehicle was acting like an *** on the troopers first approach....If that were the case, perhaps the trooper thought it would be a good idea to turn the camera on in case the crap went downhill.

GGG
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Just like every other cop who is going to get fired. They resign. I am not saying he was an *** on the stop or cool on the stop. I heard the same thing about him riling the driver up first, but I was not there. My point being that talking to someone who knew him, does not necessarily make it true one way or the other. If he was doing it, he would be a fool to tell the guys he works with what stupid stuff he is doing.

Hell, even if we had the IA report, it would not necessarily mean much one way or the other.

CruiserClass
02-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Maybe its kind of like Mr. Rogers was a heavily tattooed sniper? Start the urban legend that someone is the complete opposite of what it appears and masses of folks will believe its true. When I was in the Army I knew a lot of guys who would SWEAR Mr. Rogers was a US Army sniper, and I know marines who just know he was a USMC sniper. He wasn't either, he was a preacher and a kids show host and that's that.

Just because something is well known or "common sense" doesn't mean its true.

Maybe we should contact Snopes on this one?:confused:;)

DeputyZee
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Just because his friend who is a member of the same department won't say negative things about him or his own department..........................

I heard the same story about him and his capt. Probably that is the truth.

Frank Booth
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Maybe we should contact Snopes on this one?

I tried that after the first post....Couldn't find him in there...

GGG
02-28-2008, 05:11 PM

LOL, me too.

MarineVet89
02-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I swear I read somewhere that the trooper was fired a short time later? :confused:

We were told the same thing at the academy. I'm not sure where the info came from though.

02-29-2008, 04:23 AM
We were told the same thing at the academy. I'm not sure where the info came from though.

I first saw this video in 1997, and was told like veryone else was told that he had only video taped the last 1/2 of the stop.

I heard he was fired but i heard 2 different reasons:

1. for not videotaping the entire stop,

2. for putting the video out in a public forum.

Now I have been told many things in the LE profession some by instructors, and some be other officers but that does not make them fact. I have researched a lot of what i have been told and found much of it to be an officers opinion and nothing more.

I wish someone would get to the bottom of this caper as the suspense is KILLING me.

What happened to trooper Murray ???????????????.....

The world may never know. LOL

CruiserClass
02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

No, I meant actually contact Snopes and ask them to research it, not just search their site and see if they already did.

SNOPES, FIND OUR TROOPER!!!:D

Frank Booth
02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Ah, good idea.

CruiserClass
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I e-mailed Snopes. We'll see if they have any interest.