PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Detention Facility Brawls

Elgin
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
The Chicago Fire Department transported 10 staff members at the Cook County Temporary Juvenile Detention Center this morning, after a fight broke out at the West Side building, authorities said.

The fight started in the chapel area between two students, but expanded to a larger group, said Jennifer Koehler, a spokeswoman for the center.

Staff who came to break up the fight were injured, she said. Some residents also sustained minor injuries.

No weapons were believed to be involved in the incident.

The residents had gathered for a Black History Month celebration, Koehler said.

Two of the injured from the center, at 1100 S. Hamilton, are in serious condition, a Chicago Fire Department spokesman said. They were transported to John Stroger Hospital.

Eight others were taken to other hospitals in fair or good condition, the spokesman said.

The incident is under investigation, Koehler said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a friend that work here and she said that this Facility has varies safety issues and that the are very under staffed. This place has had problems in the past and I think that the Sheriff needs to step in and take the center over. What your take??

slamdunc
02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Why would they send the firemen in there; they are not trained for this?!?!?!?!

Elgin
02-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Why would they send the firemen in there; they are not trained for this?!?!?!?!

The fireman responsed to the scene to assist the EMT's.Thats what usually happens when a call is put out for EMS.
My thing is the corrections officers there are short staff and the sheriff needs to step in

SeVere
02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
The fireman responsed to the scene to assist the EMT's.Thats what usually happens when a call is put out for EMS.
My thing is the corrections officers there are short staff and the sheriff needs to step in

For the love of God, no. Youth Counselors or Supervisors not Correctional Officers.

Elgin
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
For the love of God, no. Youth Counselors or Supervisors not Correctional Officers.

Oh, So they are not deputies??? I thought they were police too.
lol

d10mack
02-18-2008, 08:53 PM
post-deleted

Elgin
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
The Cook County Sheriff Dept. of Corrections does not run the juvenile detention center. The center is under the Office of the President of Cook County. The youth Counselor or supervisors are not sheriff's deputies/corrections officers.

I think that the Facility would be better managed if they stop treating those kids like they are angels. They County Sheriff should run this center. The county president had proven time and time again that this place is a mess under his direct supervision. This place is miss managed and needs a clean up.

ChiTownDet
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
That Intake area is staffed by some of the laziest, non-trained, goofs I've ever encountered. No wonder there was an incident like this. They're social workers there, not detention staff.

d10mack
02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
post-deleted

d10mack
02-20-2008, 08:48 AM
post deleted

slamdunc
02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Where I come from, the EMS (or FD) personnel will not go into a scene until it has been deemed secure. If we had something like this happen; EMS would be staged outside. Officers trained for this situation, would go in, restore order and then request EMS/FD if needed.

benron
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes juveniles are some of the most violent offenders out there,yet these politicians act like they are boyscouts ,look at what happenend to IL dept of corrections when they seperated the juveniles from the IDOC and made their own dept of juvenile justice,now this was done because they(the politicians),said it would be better,the juveniles would get better services and they could hire more staff,this has yet to happen,infact its worse,they impose very little discipline if any, the inmates are some of the most disrespectful ones i have ever encountered,the current administration has no law enforcement or corrections experience,or they are just bad administrators,and they treat the staff who has been doing the job like sh**t.it's a horrible place to work,thanks to know it all politicians like anazett collins who sponsored the bill that seperated juveniles from IDOC

villaltri
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know about the JTDC's security? Are they put through new training since the JTDC is now being run by the Chief Judge of Cook County?

Made1981
12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes juveniles are some of the most violent offenders out there,yet these politicians act like they are boyscouts ,look at what happenend to IL dept of corrections when they seperated the juveniles from the IDOC and made their own dept of juvenile justice,now this was done because they(the politicians),said it would be better,the juveniles would get better services and they could hire more staff,this has yet to happen,infact its worse,they impose very little discipline if any, the inmates are some of the most disrespectful ones i have ever encountered,the current administration has no law enforcement or corrections experience,or they are just bad administrators,and they treat the staff who has been doing the job like sh**t.it's a horrible place to work,thanks to know it all politicians like anazett collins who sponsored the bill that seperated juveniles from IDOC

The fact is that Illinois is Pro Inmates rights (Adult and child) and Anti-Law enforcement. Also the sheriff would not want to touch the Juvenal detention system with a 10,000 foot pole. God for bid a sworn officer put handcuffs on one of these monsters none the less use any type of real force against them. I could see the lawsuits rolling in. you cpd guys know the drill. Every time one of these kids gets blasted either shooting at the police or waving what looks like a gun the whole city and media rally behind the dirt bag like he was some kind of saint. " He was not a bad kid. He was planning on being a doctor." Never mind the fact that he was slinging "rocks" and rolled with the GD'S.

Wings08
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
So me leaving IDOC for juvi might not be such a great idea I take it.

Waiting2years
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Did you do it already Wings or just tossing the idea around? I have heard so many bad things about IDJJ that the extra money doesn't sound worth it. Good luck with whatever you do.

Wings08
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Still thinking about it, I tested with them a few weeks ago. Im considering it mainly because of the money and the close facilites around the chicagoland area.