PDA

View Full Version : do you guys really hate bike riders and skateboarders?

thisisastickup
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
i ride a bmx bike, as in doing tricks and things on it. i ride in downtown chicago alot, and occaisonally get stopped by the police, and instead of being nice, they're complete *******s. they swear, yell at us, call us delinquents and things like that. what im wondering is if you guys really see it as a huge deal that were doing the things we do, or if we seem like an easy target to vent your day's frustration?

also, i was at a skatepark where bikes arent allowed, and ive only been kicked out of there once, and when i did, the officer came in the park, told all of us *******s to leave now or hed arrest us all, and then when two other cars pulled up, and we were about to leave, they started doing donuts and burnouts in the parking lot, infront of about 70 people that were at the park. could they get in serious trouble for being this irresponsible?

another question. i recently got a pair of plastic pegs for my bike, and if you stopped me grinding a ledge and would have other wise cited me for vandalism, would the plastic barends, plastic pegs, and rubber tires sway your opinion as to whether i was causing damage? i ask because having pegs made of plastic means the only metal to touch the ledge would be pedals, and thats pretty rare unless you fall right.

txleo-3
01-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't hate skateboarders or bike riders. I wish some had more respect for others property.

Also, a lot of them are around businesses and the business has a genuine reason for not allowing you there (Safety of their customers and liability.)

Don't tell anyone I used the word "liability"....I think it is owned by the Chief.:D

SgtScott31
01-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I wish some had more respect for others property.

Tx summed it up with this quote.

What you and your friends don't seem to understand is you tie up a police officer who could be dealing with more serious crimes by trespassing and/or damaging property by your hobby.

I could care less, but when property owners call, we have to act on it.

Aside from that, it is a liability. If you get hurt in a parking lot or other area, there is a likelihood that a lawsuit can occur, and the property owner doesn't want to deal with that, hence why they don't want you there.

Best thing for you and your friends to do is write your local politicians and try to get a skate park. That way, waivers can be signed and if you get hurt, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

thisisastickup
01-12-2008, 11:58 AM
What you and your friends don't seem to understand is you tie up a police officer who could be dealing with more serious crimes by trespassing and/or damaging property by your hobby.

the thing about this is that the officer who kicked us out of the skatepark said to us that he'd rather see us doing drugs and participating in gangs than riding our bikes in the skatepark.

and believe me, im more than respectful when im stopped, because i know if im nice to the cop, theres a much better chance that he or she will be polite back, and if im rude, they could just arrest me. i totally understand that you have to respond when a business owner calls though, because of the liability thing.

Blatant
01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Agreed. I skated and rode BMX when I was younger. I'm glad to see kids out doing something. What you fail to understand is you're generally trespassing on other folks' property. If they don't care, I don't care. If they call, I come and chase you off. End of story.

If you show a little bit of respect to people, they'll generally respond in kind.
d

lawman733
01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
What you fail to understand is you're generally trespassing on other folks' property. If they don't care, I don't care. If they call, I come and chase you off. End of story.

If you show a little bit of respect to people, they'll generally respond in kind.
d

Absolutely true. My kids go to the local skatepark and although they don't skate themselves, a majority of their friends do. I like 'em all. Tha being said, more often than not, the Police are responding to a CITIZEN COMPLAINT. We can not ignore that complaint AND we would much rather tie up our recources on a more serious crime.

The reason that these Cops might not be as polite as you would like them to be is most likely because they have to keep coming back over and over again about the same issues. At that point, we all start to become a bit "mean".

DAL
01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
No, I don't hate those people, but I do disapprove of much of what they do.

For example, I have seen them riding up and down on handicapped access ramps, making blind turns and nearly hitting pedestrians in front of museums, where most of the visitors are older, rolling out into traffic at high speeds, and, in general, taking unreasonable risks that will end up costing the public money. In addition, they make a lot of noise, which can be quite disturbing, especially in a park.

Their disregard for safety and the rights of others is appalling. I often suspect that the purpose of their conduct is to annoy others.

andy5746
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Perhaps you caught the officer on a bad day - we are human. You may have been the 300th skater/BMXer that he/she had to deal with that week. It gets old when you have to respond to the library 6 times a shift to chase the kids off he steps. And when the edges of the steps wear down / crack off because of all the grinding, who do you think has to pay for all of this? I had to respond to a rescue call where an elderly man lost his footing, fell and broke his hip because the edge lip of the step had been broken off (most likely by a skater). He heirs sued the county (county library) when he ended up dying due to complications in the surgery to repair his hip.

There is a place and time for everything. I think it's great that you and your friends are outside exercising rather than playing an X-Box, but you have to be mindful of other's property, other's rights to navigate the street / sidewalk / stairs freely, other's rights not to feel intimidated by a group of youngsters that have taken over a section of park, etc. Perception is everything. When a cop asks you to move on, the general response is "Why?". Wrong answer. "Yes Sir, sorry to be a bother" would be much better. Not saying you or your friends were rude - I wasn't there.

I certainly don't "hate" these youngsters. I used to have a skate board (we had asbestos wheels back then - the days before urethane) and had modified my Huffy bike to go off dirt jumps in the vacant lots near where I grew up. Different times, to be sure. If you were asked to leave a certain area, probably a good bet that you will be asked to leave again, so find a new place.

MaineSqueeze
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I dont like the emo ones. :p

Sleuth
01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Let me put this in perspective for you. Right after I retired, I managed a sporting goods store. We had a nice big sign that prohibited bikes & skateboards.
I had customers afraid to enter or leave the store, because bikers & skateborders were riding the railings in front of the store. When I would tell them to leave, they would curse and wave their middle fingers at me, in front of women and children. They damaged the rails, but never offered to pay for repairs.
Then they would ride in the parking lot, weaving in and out of moving cars, nearly causing accidents. Often, they would urinate on the side of our building, and smoke dope by our loading dock. Litter was a constant problem, even though we had a garbage can in front of the store.
It was only after I make friends with some of the local cops that they moved on.

This in a town that had a skate park!

So, what is to like about these riders? Rude, offensive, dirty, disrespectful. Generally, they are a waste of skin. And when the store was closed, they all thought the sign did not apply! But if they got hurt, mommy and daddy would be sure to sue us.
In short, tresspassing is a crime, and I hate criminals - all criminals!

PhilipCal
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Prior to my retirement from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety, I worked the Capitol Police Unit. Skateboarders,rollerbladers where an occassional enforcement contact. 99% of the time, the kids were pretty cool. Certainly, some of the issues Dal noted were present. We'd mention these to the kids, and they'd pretty well understand our concerns. To the Original Poster. It has to be a mutual respect issue. If you're simply out there to see how many folks you can inconvenience or p****off, you're probably going to get a little attitude from the cops. Not saying you are, just saying IF you are. The one word answer to your question, at least from my perspective is "No".

RwHJR3
01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I dont hate skaterboards, especially since I use to be one when I was younger. I use to get kicked out of places by the department that I work for now :D.

Not too long ago, I was trollin....and came across two kids skateboarding. I asked them to do some tricks then told them that I use to skateboard when I was younger. So..one of them challnege me to a game of "S.K.A.T.E" while I was in uniform. So..I did!

It was like riding a bike, I did all the flip tricks and beat the kid. His friend was laughing at him and then he asked for a rematch, so I said "Nope, I want this to settle in for about 6 months and I want you to remember that a cop in uniform just beat you at SKATE. So his friend laughed at him and I drove off with him chasing me screaming for a rematch.

I think I made some friends :D

e-man
01-12-2008, 07:28 PM
the thing about this is that the officer who kicked us out of the skatepark said to us that he'd rather see us doing drugs and participating in gangs than riding our bikes in the skatepark.

and believe me, im more than respectful when im stopped, because i know if im nice to the cop, theres a much better chance that he or she will be polite back, and if im rude, they could just arrest me. i totally understand that you have to respond when a business owner calls though, because of the liability thing.

Yeah, OK. Im sure the officer who was enforcing a local ordinance or law called you guys A-holes from the get-go and IM sure he told you to go smoke dope.
NOT, troll this isn't the place to try to act tough...
Next question

GatorPD
01-13-2008, 03:57 AM
They are probably just frustrated with dealing with repeat offenders who show them zero respect, and probably just get fed up with it.

You might very well be a well-mannered young person who just enjoys riding a bike or skateboard, but there are too many kids out there like these that give the rest of you bad names:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfloMJpqgU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQXRjocPTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEtrYAnvB_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj7ny6BFRKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKf6CiYfxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6AYVn2yw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNIN6bcMAM&feature=related

I could go on and on.

The one thing that all the vidoes have in common, besides officers "harassing" skateboarders, is skaters who have no respect for the law or private property and in most of the cases, who go out of their way to start a confrontation.

Its not a big deal. If a cop comes up and bugs you for skating, just apologize and move on to somewhere else. Its not worth getting arrested for.

Nightshift va
01-13-2008, 09:24 AM
i ride a bmx bike, as in doing tricks and things on it. i ride in downtown chicago alot, and occaisonally get stopped by the police, and instead of being nice, they're complete *******s. they swear, yell at us, call us delinquents and things like that. what im wondering is if you guys really see it as a huge deal that were doing the things we do, or if we seem like an easy target to vent your day's frustration?

also, i was at a skatepark where bikes arent allowed, and ive only been kicked out of there once, and when i did, the officer came in the park, told all of us *******s to leave now or hed arrest us all, and then when two other cars pulled up, and we were about to leave, they started doing donuts and burnouts in the parking lot, infront of about 70 people that were at the park. could they get in serious trouble for being this irresponsible?

another question. i recently got a pair of plastic pegs for my bike, and if you stopped me grinding a ledge and would have other wise cited me for vandalism, would the plastic barends, plastic pegs, and rubber tires sway your opinion as to whether i was causing damage? i ask because having pegs made of plastic means the only metal to touch the ledge would be pedals, and thats pretty rare unless you fall right.

Most cops would just be annoyed that they had to respond to a call involving cases like yours when there are other things of importance to deal with. As for "hating" skaters or BMX tricksters I don't hate you or anyone. I am human though and I do get and show much frustration when I have to deal with inconsiderate people.

officerdotcomm
01-13-2008, 09:42 AM
In my younger days I worked as an officer in a small municipality primarily populated by elderly / retired folks. They got together and built / passed a municipal law that made it illegal to skateboard in the street. Why? Because the skateboarders would rarely - if ever - move out of the way of traffic. And then, when someone would honk at them, the skaters would cuss, make rude hand gestures, etc at the driver for having the audacity to honk at someone "playing" in the street. The streets were, after all, made for cars.

Just YESTERDAY (Jan 12th as I type this) I was driving in my own neighborhood and honked at a group of skateboarders who wouldn't move out of the street. They were occupying one lane of the two lane road, had a rail out and all, and I guess they felt that the other lane was available for me to drive in. Two problems:

1) The other lane was on the other side of that double yellow line I'm not supposed to cross, and
2) It was on a blind curve. I had no way of knowing what was coming the other way.

The reaction I received from ALL EIGHT of these skateboarders when I honked was, well... let's just say less than polite. If they had moved when they saw me coming, I would have waved a "thank you" to them with a smile.

Now that I've had to deal with this on a fairly regular basis, I think a more appropriate law would be to ban skateboarding on any publicly used roadway UNLESS the skateboard is being used as a mode of transportation FROM someplace TO someplace. The problems seem to occur when a group of skateboarders get together in a given spot, claim the spot, fail to relinquish the spot, and believe that drivers are causing them issues when we try to drive on the roadway IN that spot.

In all fairness to the skateboarders, this isn't necessarily all their fault. In my youth (I mean when I was seven or eight years old) skateboarding COULD be done in the neighborhood street because there was a LOT less traffic to interfere with. That said, if my parents ever saw me giving the finger to a driver that honked, I wouldn't have had the skateboard anymore and most likely would have been uncomfortable sitting down for quite some time. I don't believe that the same levels of respect are being taught today and that a greater sense of arrogance IS being taught.

Just my $0.02 worth, and quite possibly not worth that.:)

ArkansasFan24
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't hate them. Heck, I envy it because I can't do it. As long as they're not out doing stuff that YOU know they shouldn't be doing (breaking stuff, stealing stuff, hurting or killing people) I don't have a problem with it. Oh, and when cars are coming in the street...get out of the way. That ******e$ me off so yeah I'd ream you out for that. Same applies to people walking on the sidewalk. Don't block their path. Don't curse or yell things YOU know you shouldn't either.

thisisastickup
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Let me put this in perspective for you. Right after I retired, I managed a sporting goods store. We had a nice big sign that prohibited bikes & skateboards.
I had customers afraid to enter or leave the store, because bikers & skateborders were riding the railings in front of the store. When I would tell them to leave, they would curse and wave their middle fingers at me, in front of women and children. They damaged the rails, but never offered to pay for repairs.
Then they would ride in the parking lot, weaving in and out of moving cars, nearly causing accidents. Often, they would urinate on the side of our building, and smoke dope by our loading dock. Litter was a constant problem, even though we had a garbage can in front of the store.
It was only after I make friends with some of the local cops that they moved on.

This in a town that had a skate park!

So, what is to like about these riders? Rude, offensive, dirty, disrespectful. Generally, they are a waste of skin. And when the store was closed, they all thought the sign did not apply! But if they got hurt, mommy and daddy would be sure to sue us.
In short, tresspassing is a crime, and I hate criminals - all criminals!

let me put this in perspective for you. you completely just generalized all bikers and skateboarders into the group of inconsiderate, druggie arseholes that most of us dont want to be seen as. dirty? buddy, i shower twice a day. rude and offensive? only if the store employee is rude and offensive, then he gets what he says right back. maybe the skatepark was inadequate? a town near me has a 30 by 30 slab of concrete with a foot high flat rail and a 2 foot tall wedge jump that they call a skatepark. everyione who rides or skates is calls it the place they go on their way to anything worth their time.

DAL
01-13-2008, 10:00 PM
And you categorize all police officers as being the same. In addition, how the police react depends not just on you, but on the people you are with.

I would also note that your choice of screen name suggests a definite lack of maturity, which may contribute to your problems.

Sleuth
01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Yup, generalized based on 100% of my experience on that job at that location. You were not there, so you don't know. Or, if you were there, you must need to shower twice a day because in between you do things that make you dirty.

You are saying that because the city skatepark did not meet your demanding specifications, you and you friends have the right to trespass and damage private property. NOT. None of the features of that store were installed for skaters, and the parking lot was not built for skaters and bikers.
Try Again.

thisisastickup
01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
And you categorize all police officers as being the same. In addition, how the police react depends not just on you, but on the people you are with.

I would also note that your choice of screen name suggests a definite lack of maturity, which may contribute to your problems.

ive dealt with more than enough polite officers, and theres nothing i enjoy more than a nice cop. its the jerks that get to me.

my screenname doesnt refer to crime, rather it is a reference to getting an erection. i think its funny, and its been my name on a few forums since about 8th grade, and i was a little less mature then than i am now. i like it, so i use it all the time.

thisisastickup
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Yup, generalized based on 100% of my experience on that job at that location. You were not there, so you don't know. Or, if you were there, you must need to shower twice a day because in between you do things that make you dirty.

You are saying that because the city skatepark did not meet your demanding specifications, you and you friends have the right to trespass and damage private property. NOT. None of the features of that store were installed for skaters, and the parking lot was not built for skaters and bikers.
Try Again.

the thing about that is that you probably saw the same people alot, because bmx and skating tends to have small, tight knit local scenes. about the skatepark, it cost the city about 5000 since the concrete was donated. my city recently put up a multi million dollar plaza that incldes a huge stage and a pond, along with picnic tables, a pavilion, and a big grassy hill that was manmade. this gets used about twice a month in the summer and fall, and then not at all in spring and winter. it would have been easy for them to put up a nice, well planned and constructed skatepark for about 400 thuosand that would be used year round, and not just for half the year. its not a good thing to put in a half arsed skatepark just to try and make the skaters and bikers and rollerbladers happy. as you get better and better, you yearn to ride bigger, more fun things because you have the ability to do so.

Garbage Man
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Are you saying that the cop started off calling you names? And the cop said "I would rather see you guys doing drugs and being in a gang?" he actually said those words?

I kind of doubt that you have given a fare representation of the officers statements. I suspect that what actually happened was that the cop, who was probably iritated with having to deal with this, told you guys you had to leave and one of your buddies decided to play sidewalk lawyer then said something like "Would you prefer we were in a gang or did drugs?" And the cop just replied "yes I would" out of irritation or somehting like that. I doubt he chose those words. He probaly just got annoyed with some kid whining at him, instead of just doing what he was told.

I think that any city has to provide adequate recreational opportunities for their teens, who are at an age where they have new found mobility, (Skateboard bicycle) and are heading out to find amusement. Otherwise the city will reap the consequences of bored youth. I wasn't MR. perfect when I was your age. My hometown had nothing for a teenager to do and, as a result, drugs were epidemic. The only thing that kept me from doing them is a phobia about losing self control and my finding a great circle of quality friends (Still my closest pals)

officerdotcomm
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
closing thread. It's degenerated into a p*ssing contest.