PDA

View Full Version : Stet?

flash40
09-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I've been checking out the Maryland Judiciary Case Search website and keep seeing:

Plea: OTHER PLEA
Disposition: STET

What does that mean?

JDougal
09-22-2007, 03:17 AM
I could be 100% wrong but I believe it is when prosecution puts a case sort of on hold. You are not prosecuted for the crime and if you stay out of trouble for a period of time, example a year, then the charge goes away. If you get arrested again, within that year timeframe, you get charged with the new crime and the one put on hold.

Again I am not sure on this and could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

Taylor1430
09-22-2007, 04:14 AM
JDougal is very close. Stet is placed on an inactive docket but can be brought back at a later time at the request of the defense or the states attorney. Its not something that comes back automatically if you commit another crime (like a probation violation would).

The Stet Docket is an inactive docket maintained by the State's Attorney's office. If a case is placed on the Stet Docket, the Defendant must waive his/her right to a speedy trial in the original case. The case remains on the Stet Docket for a period of one year, during that time, either the Defendant or the State (very unlikely) can ask the Court to place the case back on the active docket for trial. There may be conditions of placing the case on the Stet Docket, a common example of such a condition is no contact between the Defendant and the victim/complainant.

mcnichcf
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
i hate stet court dispositions! on md rap sheets you will see a bunch of pbj's and stet dispositions that in my current job capacity are otherwise worthless. sometimes i wish they would just bring the charges so we could jack them up when they offend in our jurisdiction but they dont count as per pa law. :(

zrex
09-22-2007, 03:54 PM
The stet is pretty much what Taylor said, it is an inactive docket. The state can put a case on the stet where it is basically just sitting on the shelf for a period of one year, metaphorically, unless either the defendant or state/complaintaint requests it to be brought back up and resolved, though this usually never happens. Usually in order to qualify for the stet, you must have already waived some rights (such as speedy trial) and agreed to whatever conditions the state imposed in exchange for the stet. Though I despise when they stet a case, it is at least less hassle than how it usually goes for my cases in loss prevention...

Usually the defendant doesn't show up the first time, does the next time but somehow did not ever think to contact a lawyer or "I talked to the public defender yesterday" even when they had months and months to do it but the judge grants them a postponement anyway, then the witnesses don't show up next time for some reason, then after that the defendant still hasn't gotten a lawyer so he asks for a jury trial to buy more time, than he is found guilty and has like 30 priors but gets 5 years, all suspended but the 12 days he served and gets put on probation for a year. But that's ok, but this time he really is going to get his life on track! The last 30 times, well, that was different. This time he said he found Jesus and wanted to be a good father, not noticing the fact that he's wearing a stop snitching T-shirt and ripped up jeans in court.

Not sure how it is for you up in PA, but you got to love how MD works...if you're a criminal that is.

flash40
09-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Interesting. That is really screwed up. I've been randomly looking up people, like names on the news and am always amazed by the number of priors some of these people have with with either Nolle Pros, STET, or suspended sentences.

Since it isn't a conviction, is a STET considered like a Nolle Pros?

theheights109
09-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen a stet disposition in PG County in about 4 or 5 years. Now, they just nolle pros people!! Completely worthless either way!

zrex
09-22-2007, 06:45 PM
A stet is a stet and nolle pros is a nolle pros. I am not a lawyer, so I'm not sure of the exact technical differences, just know that the nolle pros is basically the state admitting they didn't have enough evidence to convict and the charges are dropped. They can always bring up new charges again, even on the old crimes if more evidence pops up or something, but it's still a new case. With the stet, the case is just resting for a while and goes away after a year unless the state or defendant can convince a judge to bring the case back. They use this, at least from what I've seen, as something to hang over the defendants head, i.e. if you don't pay the restitution and go to rehab, we'll pull the case back up and try you. Does that help any? If not, sorry. If so, glad I could help.

mcnichcf
09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
A stet is a stet and nolle pros is a nolle pros. I am not a lawyer, so I'm not sure of the exact technical differences, just know that the nolle pros is basically the state admitting they didn't have enough evidence to convict and the charges are dropped. They can always bring up new charges again, even on the old crimes if more evidence pops up or something, but it's still a new case. With the stet, the case is just resting for a while and goes away after a year unless the state or defendant can convince a judge to bring the case back. They use this, at least from what I've seen, as something to hang over the defendants head, i.e. if you don't pay the restitution and go to rehab, we'll pull the case back up and try you. Does that help any? If not, sorry. If so, glad I could help.

not a lawyer either but i work with a BUNCH. when a case is nol prossed it literally means that there will be no prosecution, regardless of the reasoning. also those charges cannot always be brought back depending on the statute of limitations on the particular crime. Stet on the other hand is crap. stet doesnt count towards a criminals prior record score and when , like you said, you see a ton piling up it can get annoying because this person could be a career criminal who has never really been found guilty of anything making any current charge his first offense, like a clean slate. Its bothersome and it sucks but its a way to preserve judicial economy and let judges clear the way for more important cases. I just think its an excellent tool that has gotten abused and is out of control.

By the way, you're an LP? i did that for a little while (like a year). couldnt stand management being total costomer service and yelling at us for not catching people and then trying to hog the glory when we did.

zrex
09-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I am in LP for now. Have been doing it for a couple years now while in college. It has it's perks, but yeah I can't stand it when the pressure is on to make apprehension goals (quotas in disguise). I have seen some good people make some very stupid decisions just to make a stat. I'm a big opponent on quotas, they only end up hurting the company as they have pay out for lawsuits from botched and illegal detentions of people. I'm sure it's the same way in the police departments that have quotas.

The only glory hogging comes when I end up catching a lot of internal (employee) theft cases. The LP Manager is the only one allowed to pursue those cases, so even though I did all the work, they basically get all the credit. Oh well, such is life.

mcnichcf
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
you work at home depot? Yeah internals suck bad. alot of camera and no floor. I never had the problem of them pushing us to get an app per se, we used to get 250 a year. their gripe was that they wanted something interesting to do instead of their jobs so they would stalk us. "you get one yet?", "are you watching somebody?"...i got out because i realized i want to be a cop and keep taking jobs where act like a cop or see a bunch of cops without ever really applying myself.

zrex
09-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Not Home Depot, but I worked for a major discount retailer that may or may not use a bullseye for their logo. I now work for another major retailer. 250 a year? That sounds like a bad area. For our area, we had to get about 4 a month. But at some of the rougher Maryland areas, for example the Hyattsville store, well they had around 700 apprehensions a year. I've always had the goal of becoming a police officer, just turned 21 not too long ago and am in the processes now. But I may pull out and start on my 4 year degree, get Associates in Criminal Justice this semester, get that squared away first before I dedicate most of my time to law enforcement work since it'll probably hamper my ability to go to school or even concentrate on it. I've been pretty much entertaining all kinds of police ideas and jobs as of late, so we'll see what happens.

That's good you got out and realized what you really wanted to do though, a lot of people I know in LP acknowledge they wanted to be police officers, but just for some reason or another gave up on the dream. I pushed a few of them, including my manager, to get out there and apply to some LE agencies. So they have and are doing well in the processes.

Metro174
09-23-2007, 02:11 AM
One detail that is left out is that a stet is actually an open case for three years. In the first year, it can be reopened by the state or defendant for any reason. The next two years, good cause must be shown. An example would be getting charged repeatedly with the same offense.

It can jam up people looking for a job where they need a clean record. If you "technically" have pending charges, you can't be hired in some professions.

Taylor1430
09-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Usually the defendant doesn't show up the first time, does the next time but somehow did not ever think to contact a lawyer or "I talked to the public defender yesterday" even when they had months and months to do it but the judge grants them a postponement anyway, then the witnesses don't show up next time for some reason, then after that the defendant still hasn't gotten a lawyer so he asks for a jury trial to buy more time, than he is found guilty and has like 30 priors but gets 5 years, all suspended but the 12 days he served and gets put on probation for a year. But that's ok, but this time he really is going to get his life on track! The last 30 times, well, that was different. This time he said he found Jesus and wanted to be a good father, not noticing the fact that he's wearing a stop snitching T-shirt and ripped up jeans in court.

Not sure how it is for you up in PA, but you got to love how MD works...if you're a criminal that is.

Ahhh...the Maryland Judicial system. You have to love it. BTW, I do not know if you get OT or not for going into court but I get some decent overtime with cases like you have described. I think my record is going to court 6 times over a crack pipe and theft under $20.00

zrex
09-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow, 6 times? We got paid, but not overtime, just normal pay.

Oh yeah, forgot all about those other years thanks for putting that out there. Yeah, it's pretty abnormal for it to be brought back the first year, much less the next two after that.

baltimorepablo
11-18-2009, 01:34 AM
I know this is an old post but rather than start a new one I figured I could ask in here since it deals with Stet. If I was arrested on a felony charge and got stet and was expunged (when I was 18), does this automatically DQ me from going in to LE? Would they hear me out? A friend of mine came in to a store with a stolen CC (I didn't know it was stolen, I didn't know he would do that to me) and charged some stuff to it.. I cooperated fully and testified against him since he screwed me with this.. case got stet and then was expunged 3 yrs later. I am not sure if they can see this but I want to be honest with them and tell them this happened but am I SOL here? I hope not :(

flash40
11-18-2009, 01:44 AM
I know this is an old post but rather than start a new one I figured I could ask in here since it deals with Stet. If I was arrested on a felony charge and got stet and was expunged (when I was 18), does this automatically DQ me from going in to LE? Would they hear me out? A friend of mine came in to a store with a stolen CC (I didn't know it was stolen, I didn't know he would do that to me) and charged some stuff to it.. I cooperated fully and testified against him since he screwed me with this.. case got stet and then was expunged 3 yrs later. I am not sure if they can see this but I want to be honest with them and tell them this happened but am I SOL here? I hope not :(

Only felony convictions are automatic DQs. It certainly won't look good that you were locked up for a felony...but since it was dropped and had it expunged, it probably won't hurt you. Just be honest when asked and tell your detailed story.

mp1161
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM

How old are you now? Unlike Flash40, I think this will hurt you and hopefully you have put a lot of time in between the incident and have one hell of a resume.

Metro174
11-18-2009, 04:32 PM
It's going to hurt you. The economy is down and when that happens, police departments get more than the usual amounts of applicants. They can and will be more pickt than usual.

baltimorepablo
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm about to be 27 next month, this happened when I was 18-19. Will this come up on a background check? I do not intend on applying until after I get my bachelors in CJ which shouldn't be for another 1.5 years. Hopefully that will have my resume looking good and I can get past this issue... I really am a different person now and I think that by having a bachelors and being bilingual in Spanish and English, LE Dept's will look past it.

Thank you for your replies and I look forward to hearing anyone else's opinions...

FireCop604
11-20-2009, 02:51 AM
As long as you are up front and do not try to hide anything you should be OK. Just because it was expunged doesn't mean it didn't happen so you better disclose it. LE background checks WILL pick it up.