PDA

View Full Version : expired tag

bullseye48
07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I stopped a guy the other day that had a May 2007 expired tag. I wrote him, but I told him that I would drop the citation if he brought proof of a Revalidation Decal to court. I really dont like giving citations for expired tag because I know that the only reason for that law is to raise money. What do you guys think. Do you write for that?

gopherpuckfan
07-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I usually only write if it's at least 2 months expired. I'll start towing after 6 months.

ignignokt373
07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.

VT_453
07-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I write it if its 2 weeks out of date. Since its just a fix-it ticket in my court, I figure if they couldnt take a few minutes out of their day in the last 6 weeks to hit up the dmv, they can sit in court for a few minutes to get it adjusted.

Seventy2002
07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Of course "the only reason for that law is to raise money". Building and maintaining roads is expensive. Vehicle registration fees here in Washington are less than the cost of a tank of gas. That's pretty cheap and I don't have much sympathy for those unwilling to pay their share. That being said,I usually don't write until they're at least 30 days past due.

I don't tell people I'll drop a citation. That's the job of the prosecutor or judge.

tactical208
07-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I write expired tags no matter what and I'll tell you why. If you stop someone for an expired tag, a towable offense in NY, then I write. God forbid if that person goes down the street just after you stopped them or a few days later and you didn't do what you were suppose to do, then your going to be on the end of a lawsuit and the department is gonna pay. Better follow your general orders to the letter or your going to be the one in trouble in the long run.

Write the ticket, if they get the registration revalidated and show proof in court then talk to the judge to see if he will dismiss or reduce to a equipment violation or something. Just protect yourself.

All the motorist has to do is register online or mail it in here or go to the local DMV, how many more breaks do they need ?

bullseye48
07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
In Georgia the newer your car is the more you pay for your tag. If you have a new car you will have to pay over 200 dollars.

mdrdep
07-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easilly lead to bigger and better things.....

LeanG
07-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm 50/50 on whether I write expired tags (very likely if its over 2 months, not as likely if its under 2 months), but its dismissed in court if they are in compliance on their court date.

shook0002
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I just wrote one the other day expired 5-07, I saw the inspection was expired , and the insurance card was expired. I wrote 'em.

redbird07
07-24-2007, 01:28 AM
I wrote expired tags all the time.

State of Missouri sends you a form (usually) the month before they are due.

No excuses not to have your vehicle properly registared if your going to operate it on public streets.

I agree. They do the same in MD. The only reason for not receiveing notice is failure to submit a change of address. Most of the time the real reason is that they have their license plate flagged for an outstanding parking ticket, failure to get emissions inspection, or lack of insurance, ect. I wont drop a ticket, thats the judges job, and they drop the charges all the time absent some aggrivating circumstance.

WARWAGON
07-24-2007, 01:58 AM
They know that their tags have expired.
They get an invitation.

I pay for my emissions inspection (required in Georgia) and renew my tags every year and so is everyone else.

JDCOP
07-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I write them, I may give a week or so at expiration before writing but after that its a done deal. I have to pay to renew my registration so do they.

dcp48
07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
i write everyone of them.. however i will give them a week unless its my only pc or they were very aggravating.... the way I see it is, if i have to pay my taxes on time, than so should everyone else.:D

School Cop
07-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll write for either expired registration or expired inspection as soon as the 5-day grace period is up.

Our new registration stickers are impossible to read from the inside of the car, unlike the older ones. But, you still get notification in the mail, so...no excuse.

CruiserClass
07-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I typically give a 15 day grace period for permanent plates and a 3 day grace period on paper plates. After that, I write it.

PhilipCal
07-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Renewing your tag in Alabama is one of the easiest things you can do. It can be done by mail. We also have a staggered registration system. My personal feeling is, that each of us has to purchase a tag. So does the other guy. When I was on active duty, I'd allow a month before I started writing. Past that, I had no problem for citing for Expired Tag.

Depco164
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I actually allow up to 3 months before I write a citation. This may be because I was there as a young man with little to no money. I like to give the offending person a chance to comply by spending the $80 on their registration rather than on the cite I would have given them.

Within 30 days I give a verbal warning. Between 1 to 3 months I issue a 15 day warning ticket. If I get the warning cite back as having not been taken care of then I write the cite and send it in the mail.

However, all that being said, I pull every car over if it is expired. It is great PC for the stop and, as stated earlier, leads to other, bigger, things.

Chiller
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Ticket and quite possibly towed here(wont drive away). Discretion for lock up also

txleo-3
07-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I'll write for either expired registration or expired inspection as soon as the 5-day grace period is up.

Our new registration stickers are impossible to read from the inside of the car, unlike the older ones. But, you still get notification in the mail, so...no excuse.

I am not a fan of the new ones. Harder for me to pick out on the road as I pass too.
Normally only write for 2+ months out. Good PC though

kansaslawdog31
07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I stopped a guy the other day that had a May 2007 expired tag. I wrote him, but I told him that I would drop the citation if he brought proof of a Revalidation Decal to court. I really dont like giving citations for expired tag because I know that the only reason for that law is to raise money. What do you guys think. Do you write for that?

We write for expired here, but only 30 days after the expiration date (all plates expire on either the 30th or 31st of the month). Even with the extra "free" month we give them, there is still a boatload of folks out there with plates that are expired for over 3 months driving around. The good part is that the expired plate usually leads to a suspended driver. no insurance and various criminal violations for those of us trying to be proactive. Its just another tool in the toolbox as far as I am concerned. :D

Bushranger
08-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Regardless of when the registration expires I'll give the driver a ticket or send him to court (depends on the attitude of the driver) unless he has a reasonable excuse or an emergent reason for driving while unregistered and I'll give the driver a permit to move his car to the garage address if it's a reasonable distance away. I'll also take the rego plates if the rego has been expired for more than a month. In Queensland there is a 28 day grace period before the car is considered to be uninsured for CTP, then the driver can also get a ticket or be sent to court, again depending on the attitude displayed. Over here CTP covers personal injury to the occupants of the car if involved in an accident.

kollegekid
08-03-2007, 06:00 AM
I generally dont start writing for expired tags until about 2 weeks after the start of the month. I then usually tell them they can go to court and show the paper work showing they go the tag renewed, and usually the judge will work with them. I did let someone off awhile back when i stopped them for having a tag 3 months expired. They had just bought the car about 2 months before it expried, and they did not know that the tags expire by last name. Once that was explained, they were pretty embarassed, so i told them to drive straight home and to get the tag renewed before they drove the vehicle again.

j706
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easilly lead to bigger and better things.....

You think like I think. I stop for the most minor things, it has paid off nicely, more than once. Some guys wonder why they can't ever get into anything.

LEAZ
08-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Time permitting I never overlook an opportunity to make a traffic stop. I will give a verbal warning, written warning or traffic citation no matter what the time frame of expiration may be, as long as it is expired. I value the truth on traffic stops, I can understand hardship. However, I remain consistent in my discretionary practices. Your'e free to go. By the way is there anything in the car that should'nt be? Would you mind if I checked???

Airforcop
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Usually anything over 2 weeks I'll write. In Florida, if they reg their vehicle within 30 days after getting the citation and bring in proof to the court house the fine gets bumped down to like $7.50 from like $78 dollars. Additionally, expired reg over 6 months is a criminal offense in Fl ONLY if they have had a previous citation in the state for expired reg.

NBW791
09-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I write the heck out of them. I don't believe it's just there to gain revenue. It forces people to comply with the law. Where I work, it's a mandatory court appearance, so they have to get it registered and show proof that they did.

I used to not write until it was the middle of the month. I figured that gave them a full two weeks to realize they were expired and get them taken care of. Then I reduced it to 10 days. Still seemed like PLENTY of time should they need to get off work or something to take care of it. Then it was 5 days. Now I've decided, "Screw it. One day expired they get a ticket." Here's why:

#1 - They get a renewal notice up to 45 days in advance
#2 - They come due the same time every year based on the first letter of your last name. It's no surprise.
#3 - Everybody else on the road has to comply, including me. I've got a truck I hardly ever drive that sits in the garage. It's properly registered and insured, but I drive it less than 3,000 miles a year due to my take-home patrol car. Yeah, it sucks that I have to pay for something I barely use, but that's the price of being a vehicle owner. Deal with it.
#4 - If you get it registered within 30 days, the courts are pretty forgiving
#5 - At least 50% of the time, if not more, the expired tag leads to no insurance, driving while suspended, not wearing their seatbelt and sometimes warrants. It's definitely a good stop.

Fuzz
09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
In Georgia the newer your car is the more you pay for your tag. If you have a new car you will have to pay over 200 dollars.

I would jump for joy if my reg was only $200. My truck reg last time was over $400. I figure if I have to pay it so does everyone else. I give a month or so grace period because DMV is backed up a lot, but after that they get a ticket.

firemanjb
09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
You think like I think. I stop for the most minor things, it has paid off nicely, more than once. Some guys wonder why they can't ever get into anything.

I made a stop for "failure to signal" (plus some "I don't want you behind me" type driving). Driver went for suspended O/L; front passenger went for letting an unlicensed driver drive; rear passenger went on a warrant. 30 grams of weed, 2 grams of crack, scales, a box of baggies and $625 later...I had 2 trafficking charges as well.

All for no turn signal.

Sabre
09-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll write expired registration all day long. The registration money goes toward building and maintaining roadways. If you're going to drive on them, you have to pay for them.

WhoRunIt1475
09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I pulled one over the other day in the not so good part of town and i gave her a warning. then i asked if there was anything in the car that will get you in trouble today. lol then came the "your only pulling me over cause im in the ghetto and im white" im sure she had some dope in the car because of her attitude. Next time ill write her all 5 citations i could of wrote her for.

oldcop1971
09-28-2007, 02:31 AM
expires at midnite on the 30th of August. I have the whole month of september to renew it w/o penalty. By law, a ticket cannot be written until the 11th day of October. Alabama law says it is the DUTY of a police officer to write a ticket for expired tag, not the option of witing one. And as the others have said, if I have to buy one, you have to buy one
oc71

rtm038
10-04-2007, 04:06 AM
I usually give people a month or 2 before I write them.

Jumper
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I will write the full ticket for an expired tag. Our tags expire on the drivers birthday and most folks think they have till the end of the month. If they expired on the 20th and they thought they had till the end of the month, I'll usually warn them.

But I get annoyed that folks cannot seem to follow a relatively simple law. Everyone knows their vehicle must be registered. Everyone knows, or should know, that it has to be re-registered before it expires. If they don't then they were lazy, ergo the ticket.

I have little sympathy for stupidity.

t150vsuptpr
10-14-2007, 03:10 AM

I write most all of the ones I find that are expired.

I pay my taxes & fees, I pay all my renewals, so they can pay theirs as well ... or not drive.

I don't begrudge the local, state, and federal governments their lawful taxes & fees. Taxes & fees pay my salary, enable me to buy food and clothing, pay for shelter and transportation, and they provide the infrastructure I rely on day to day, they are a cheap price to pay for civilization as I know it here.

Can't think of any other place on this planet I would rather live.

Yeah, I write dead tags.

If they want to come to court and plead with the judge and if he then dismisses it because they went out and paid the fees and etc, that's OK.
If not, .... it's still OK by me.

I just do my part. :)

SouthFL247
10-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Usually anything over a month gets written. Nothing is set in stone though, really depends on the circumstances of the stop.

andy5746
11-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I almost always cite the expired registration if it is a secondary violation to an initial moving violation. I won't pull someone over for only the expired registration unless it is over 1 month old - I give a bit of grace because our DMV is SLOW to send out the new tags and waiting in line to get them in person is really a pain in the butt.

In CA, the fee is related to the value of the car and goes down every year as the car depreciates in value. The fees go to maintaining the state highway system that we all use. I have to pay mine, so I expect others to pay up as well.

joako
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Usually anything over 2 weeks I'll write. In Florida, if they reg their vehicle within 30 days after getting the citation and bring in proof to the court house the fine gets bumped down to like $7.50 from like $78 dollars. Additionally, expired reg over 6 months is a criminal offense in Fl ONLY if they have had a previous citation in the state for expired reg.

It's so easy to renew in Florida they even have a website... even that's easy www.gorenew.com

Ktown816
12-03-2007, 02:59 AM
I write everytime. I give them 1 week to renew their registration, then I throw away the ticket. Everyone goes through tough times and some people really forget to renew. However should the driver not renew they get the ticket. The reason being, plating vehicles here is: Newer the vehicle more expensive the fees. I have seen 500.00 for registering a vehicle... C'mon. But again Officers Decision to write or not.

sharpey31
12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I wirte everyone for everything. If its expired then I write it If I stop you then you are getting a piece of paper

ddconover
12-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Lol the city manager of our Town drove with expired tabs for a good 3 months before getting into an accident the day City Council was going to fire him. Ill ask and see if he wrote em or not. Prob not though....

Deputy813
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Working folks get a warning, thugs get a slip of paper. If they get a tag the ticket gets dropped, they tried. The others never show up for court and the narc guys now have a warrant if they want to visit aforementioned thug.

Howler04
12-14-2007, 05:34 PM
I used to write 'em , until the courts started dismissing them (including the court fee's) if they showed up to court with current reg. So now I just give a written warning.

However, if it some dirt bag in a "known" area I'll pay much more attention to the inside of their vehicle, and still give them a written warning.

Good thing is that are warnings are entered into are CAD.

tower106a
12-17-2007, 02:34 AM
I usually give a written warning for the unregistered because the car is going to get towed and that gets expensive.

Blue Caped Girl
12-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I prefer blue ink :o

suprtrpr
12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
here in nc, your tags technically expires the 15th of the month after the date on the sticker. for example if your sticker shows 10/07 then it expires on nov 15. i know it is weird but that gives them 45 days to get their tags fixed. you can best believe that on the 16th we start writing. they have no excuse. they got notified about a month before hand then get an extra 15 days at the end of the month. so in actuality they get 75 days. plus its a misd. here so its a good charge. but like everywhere else, it is still a fix-it ticket.

Absolut
12-30-2007, 09:13 PM
90% of the time stops I make for expired tags result in warning tickets. The other 10% they are over 6 months expired or the driver has talked himself into a citation.

DeputyZee
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I typically like to find the vehicles that expired in 2004, 2005. They are out there, I find them almost every single day. Usually in parking lots, trick is not getting caught checking because then they won't return to their car for a long time. Every time I pulled over one of them I did not write them for registration. There always has been a better citation in the end.

apcinnga
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
years ago in georgia they had a staggered system for your tag to be renewed. if the first initial began with a certain letter your tag had to be renewed by the end of that month. the last month for renewals was may. the majority of people waited until the last day of that month. it was crazy to renew your tag in person on the 31st day of may.

now, it expires on your birthday. not so hard to forget. you can do it in person, by mail, or on-line.

i would ticket and tow if it was expired past one month. usually if the tag is expired then the insurance has expired as well.

i just love what some people do here is when they buy a new car from a private party. they put a piece of cardboard on the back and put "tag applied for" and write a date on it. usually dated from the day they purchased the vehicle. those stops are fun.

car2back
01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
my personal rule of thumb is 1-3 months gets a warning or ticket, and 4+ get car impounded with a hold for proof of registration w/ the state.

I don't like writing tickets, but having expired tags are one of my pet peeves. I hate having to pay to drive on the public road, but as long as I have to, so does everyone else :D

DeputyZee
01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
It could have expired in 1989 and I still can't tow. It would be nice if they started letting us impound stuff.

rayder1
01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
It's an old thread but I'll toss in my two bits.

Our department is funded in part by registration fees paid. As opposed to some departments who are funded by citation revenue and other sources, we have some incentive to make sure people pay their fees.

If I see and expired tag (1 month is our policy) then they get a dismissable citation. 6 months= no dismissable and possible impound of the vehicle. Usually I will take a parked car with 6+ months expiration. I let drivers slide a little more depending upon their situation.

stealth600
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I will write even if it is only a warning (if obtained by this date... I would make it a day or two from the time of the stop). The attitude of the driver helps alot in determining if it will be an automatic citation or fix-it-ticket.

And with a tag being expired since May, almost a year ago??? Yes, a ticket would be issued. Most of the time, the longer a tag has been expired, the more violations I normally come across, i.e. no insurance, suspended tag, and etc. I have even made an arrest on a guy who was a habitual violator for exp. tag and suspended license. When I made the arrest, it was the 5th time in a year he was arrested for those same charges.

Metro174
01-16-2008, 10:54 PM
I have found people that don't take care of their tags usually don't bother to take care of the other little problems in their life. An excellent stop that can easily lead to bigger and better things.....

Yeah that it is. I have gotten a lot of suspended and wanted drivers that way.

AZtribesman
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I pulled a guy over the other day with an expired 12/31/2007 tag. He was speeding and this was my PC for the stop. I get his reg and it says in the upper right hand corner "No enforcement may be taken for 30 days after the due date 12/31/2007". What is the use of having an expiration date?

Anyway, I wrote him for expired out of state registration and was told I could not because Kansas gave him thirty days to update. In that wonderful cop grin I said "Well sir, you are not in Kansa anymore. Welcome to Arizona, where your tags expired on 12/31/2007. Here's your citation, drive carefully."

OPP
01-16-2008, 11:05 PM

I usually write a validation sticker ticket after 2 weeks of expiry. I have to pay for it every year. Why is this person an exemption? Plus it's like $35 for 1 year. that's nothing. It's made to expire on their birthday so they don't forget about it.

Chances are if their plates are expired, and they hand you a expired insurance slip. They have no insurance.

Here in Ontario, prior to renewing your plates, you must show proof of insurance.

So buddy gets a ticket for the val tag, and a court summons for no insurance. Onus is on him/her to prove they have insurance. Car gets left at the road.

southga
01-17-2008, 11:06 AM

+1

WKT
01-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I have four vehicles, and I have to renew the tags on different months every year for them. I always get a renewal in the mail, and I always renew online. Takes less than five minutes. If I can do it, why can't the other drivers?

That being said, the most memorable stop I made for that was 15 years ago when I stopped an elderly woman whose tags had been exp. three months. I asked her why, and she dropped her head and said, "I just haven't had the money". I glanced in her back seat and noticed that she was bringing groceries home. She wasn't driving badly, she wasn't coming home from the casino, or the movie, or any other "non-necessary" trip. I let her go, no problem.

Heck, if I hadn't been so broke at the time, I probably would've given her the $25 to renew the tags.

86-43
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Iowa gives a 1 month courtesy period in which someone has to renew their registration if it's expired. Basically, the registration has to be more than 1 month expired for it to be ticket-able. Any time that happens, I automatically write a ticket. Like someone else stated, Iowa also sends you a form 1 or 2 months in advance and all you have to do is drop it in the mailbox with a check, or even do it online to renew your registration. No reason to NOT do it.