PDA

View Full Version : How to keep shirt from sliding...

ArkansasFan24
06-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I've never thought to post this here until now.

Do any of you have handy ways of keeping your shirt from sliding up in the back? Ok, that may not make sense to you.

I HATE when my shirt collar touches the back of my neck. When I wear my uniform shirts, I tuck them in (obviously) with a vest underneath. During the work hours it repeatedly comes untucked from the back enough so that the shirt slides up and touches my neck. It drives me batty. I even have pants with rubberized inner waist bands. When I get dressed I pull the shirt down as far in the back as I can, and I end up tucking the rear tail under my butt. Sadly, it only stays like that for a short while so I'm constantly re-tucking the back of the shirt down to keep it tight so the collar doesn't touch the back of my neck.

Any of you experience this and have a solution?

Taylor1430
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Have you ever tried shirt stays? If you aren't familiar, they clip on to your shirt and have an elastic band that runs down to your feet. They seem to work for me, even in the rear.

There is also a rubber belt that is availabe that you wrap around the bottom of your shirt prior to putting on the pants. I had used this prior to switching to shirt stays. The band is OK but needs to be tight to keep everything in place. This can get a little uncomfortable at times.

JSD73
06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I can't use that belt worth a flip...it would always follow my pants on the way up and flip out. Now shirt stays, you want the four piece, are the bomb diggity. I have been using them for ten years and only use them for the rear. They take some getting used to but they will keep you tucked in and looking professional throughout the day.

Dep.WTF
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I used shirt stays for years but when I went to K9 they would never stay on because of the thicker shirts. So what I did was take one of the shirt stays and wrap it around my waist. That combined with tailored shirts keeps me looking sharp the entire shift.

sgttom
06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
responses to this are on point.

i was going to say; get them tailored and use of shirt stays..

IMachU
06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
My problem with the shirt stays aer hairy legs. Damn, them things pull hairs (painfully) at the most inopportune time!

Bigg Dogg
06-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Shirt stays,also make sure and get uniform pants with the shirt stay plastic thingy built into the waistband.I used to have to wear the shirt stay stirrup things up until I started wearing these Blauer Streetgear that have the rubber insert around the waistband.No more stirrups!!

ElDiabloJoe
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
If shirt stays and long leg hair are a problem, how about a pair of thermal long johns (in winter) or lycra running pants in summer under your pants. Then the shirt stays won't stretch-n-yank your leg hair.

YMMV,

EDJ

JSD73
06-10-2007, 09:47 PM
My problem with the shirt stays aer hairy legs. Damn, them things pull hairs (painfully) at the most inopportune time!

Yeah, they'll pull the crap outta the leg hair but I don't have anymore hair on the sides of my calves as the band has rubbed it right off, lol.

WC145
06-10-2007, 10:57 PM
If shirt stays and long leg hair are a problem, how about a pair of thermal long johns (in winter) or lycra running pants in summer under your pants. Then the shirt stays won't stretch-n-yank your leg hair.

YMMV,

EDJ

Wow, you're putting way too much thought into this! I say you man up and sacrifice a few leg hairs for the cause!! Oh, one other thing - never let them see you wince!

ArkansasFan24
06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Well, my uniforms are made by a company called Elbeco. The pants have that rubberized waist band, yet it only makes tucking the shirt tail back harder. The shirt still slides ride out.

I do need to get my newest shirts taken in at the sides. They're too baggy. Now, that you mention it, my tailored shirts do stay tucked in better. I've never realized this.

DarksideNV
06-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I use the rubber belt and don't seem to have any problems with it, plus my shirts are taylored. I used the shirt shays in the academy but had the leg hair problem.

ask80
06-11-2007, 01:57 AM
yep tailored shirts and shirt stays that clip on socks. i used to have shirt stays where you put your foot in the bottom. that sure did shave the hairs of my legs . so i switched to the ones that clip on my socks. much better.. and sometimes i use safety pins to keep the shirt stay on the shirt. i hate it when it comes loose in the field.

dkuz
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
If you have a thicker shirt you can take a dime or penny and use that rather than the rubber knobby thing that comes on the shirt stays. I also like the stirup style shirt stays and calf length socks to help w/ the hair problem.

grog18b
06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
At Wal-mart they have those elastic bands with clips on both ends used for securing sheets to beds. They work very well, cliped to shirt and socks.

deputy x 2
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Shirt stays. rubber elastic on waistband of pants, or tuck the shirt inside your underwear.

Monster56
06-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Gee wiz...
What happens when the first "S" of the "3 S's" comes late while on duty and you have to drive 5 miles to the PD? That's one more extra thing to take off before you have a mess.

Keep on tucking :)

armyfi
06-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I use shirt stays. Keep the ones in the front a little loose then tighten the 2 in the back up as much as you can. I also wear an "Taylor Belt" that I bought from Galls. My shirt hardly ever moves

JJS
06-11-2007, 08:19 PM
They seem to work for me, even in the rear.

Um........

I use the rubber belt shirt stay. It seems to work better, plus it doesnt snap loose like the leg ones do.

Taylor1430
06-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Um........

I use the rubber belt shirt stay. It seems to work better, plus it doesnt snap loose like the leg ones do.

I had used the belt for a period of time and it was OK. I did break a few of those belts. While they worked well, it would get uncomfortable towards the end of our shifts. I went over to the shirt stays to try them out and love them. They do not do as good of a job as the rubber belt, but the stays are much more comfortable.

Don't worry...after a few months of usage, you wont have to worry about that problem any more :)