PDA

View Full Version : "Crushed" 8 Point Hats

ChiefAk47
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Our department wears the traditional 8 point hats, similiar to what New York PD wears. We are allowed to "crush" the hats if we want to. This seems to usually be accomplished by removing the wire within the hat and pinning down the sides. What other methods do other officers use to "crush" these sorts of hats. Photos would be helpful.

deputy x 2
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Lucky you!! Remove the hat band.....should do it. (SFPD style also) We HAVE to keep the hat band in. We refer to them as bus driver hats.

If you have to have it in your cruiser. Shove it between the headrest and the cage on the passenger side.

ChiefAk47
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Any photos of what the its supposed to look like after its formed correctly? Mine looks kind of odd without the hat band in it.

sgttom
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/johnmariani/040919/546LU.jpg

InlandEmpire
06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I know those hats are tradition for agencies in other states, but do you guys actually like wearing them in patrol? I personally think they're an officer safety issue. If u have to keep putting it on and taking it off, in and out the car, isn't that a distraction?

orlandofed5-0
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
You do know you can order crushed hats.

gloc_copper
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
my eight point lives in the trunk until it rains..

david30816
06-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Why would one want a crushed hat? I've seen them before on COPS and don't think they look all that "cool". Is there a reason i'm missin?

pujolsfan146
06-08-2007, 07:06 AM
I could be wrong but I believe they are also refered to as a "50 mission cap". Back in WWII the veteran pilots who completed 50 missions would have each end of the caps droop. Showed they were veterans.

I have achieved the effect on my work cover by leaving it in the back seat and forgetting to remove it before I put my arrestee's back there. Yea. Makes command real happy.

orlandofed5-0
06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Just ask any NYPD or Philly highway cop...

In Philly you can add in K-9,narcotics and Temple university police to the crushed hat syndrome.

ChiefAk47
06-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Well there seems to have been much discussion on the wearing of hats but few answers to the original question of this thread.

18C3V
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Most cops in my dept remove the hat band. I do know of one who used pins to pin the sides, but he looks like a Storm Trooper from WWII whenever he wears it. I have two hats...one with the band removed for those "mandatory events" which require hats and the other (brand new) with the band in for funerals.

ArkansasFan24
06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank God we don't wear hats although they are issued as a "here have a hat" kind of thing. That is the most clear and concise reason why I'll never be a state trooper. I hate wearing any type of headgear. It makes me terribly hot in all weather(repressed ventilation), I get a headache no matter how loose it is, and the bill restricts my upper, peripheral vision. I also feel dumb wearing one.

Deputy Medic
06-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I miss my 8 point "50 missions crush" style hat. But since I started shaving my head, I'd look more like a member of the Village People than a deputy.

SRT936
06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
We don't wear them, but I'm assuming you mean this:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1466&d=1182641676

NZCadet
06-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Yeah, NZP wear these also, BUT!!!, I found a REALLY COOL cowboy style hat the other day, hehe.

shook0002
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
In Philly you can add in K-9,narcotics and Temple university police to the crushed hat syndrome.

And swat, SITE, NSU, SEPTA Transit Police's SORT and K-9. I think everybody except patrol can wear 'em.

britplod
06-26-2007, 03:39 AM
As you guys know we wear helmets:cool: not hats ( well most of the forces do anyway) and the "crushed hat syndrome" would be 1: not allowed 2: look very 1970's or as we'd say "very old hat":D and un cool i did notice on watching a "COPs" programme that the Philly PD had that sort of hat.

jwise
06-27-2007, 02:25 AM
We have 'em, but only wear them if it rains or to funerals. I only wear mine to funerals, as I wear a ballcap when it rains.

Gene L
06-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Our department wears the traditional 8 point hats, similiar to what New York PD wears. We are allowed to "crush" the hats if we want to. This seems to usually be accomplished by removing the wire within the hat and pinning down the sides. What other methods do other officers use to "crush" these sorts of hats. Photos would be helpful.

We never wore the 8-point hats. That crush used to be called the "20 mission crush" and comes from WW II, when the earphones worn over the pilot and co-pilot's heads on a round hat (in bombers) eventually crushed it down on both sides. Fighter pilots and gunners wore helmets and wool-fleece lined caps with the earphones built in.

It got to be quite the thing, designating an experienced airman, and newbies started doing it as well. I've never seen a 8-point hat with a crush, though.

swax119
06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Not the best image but this nypd hwy patrol style http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/pix/transportation/hway_disabled_car_2.jpg

history behind the crushed cap:
The Highway Patrol cap is similar in most ways to the standard octagonal "eight-point" cap worn by all members of the NYPD, but has a longer brim and is worn with the interior wire removed from the crown. This lack of the interior wire in the cap produces a unique and immediately identifiable profile. The "crushed" look of the Highway Patrol cap is a tradition dating back to when helmets were not worn and caps had to be "crushed" onto the officer's head to prevent him from losing his hat while riding.

Biggamehunter
06-30-2007, 09:05 AM
We have 'em, but only wear them if it rains or to funerals. I only wear mine to funerals, as I wear a ballcap when it rains.

mee too, except I just stay in my car when it rains:)

zebra305
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I always crushed my 8 point. It does date from the WWII era, when pilots and aircrew had to wear headphones to communicate inside the big bombers. Since they wore the service dress caps at the time, (the thought was because the earphones were annoying and it's cold in the plane) the earphones, after 50 missions, would 'crush' the sides of the caps down for the 'veteran' look. (In those days, removing the wire around the outside of the hat would basically destroy it in some brands). The look eventually caught on.

Soldiers in all branches (not just the air corps) eventually started doing the same thing to their hats. Some units (like the airborne, pre-beret) actually encouraged the practice.

What worked for mine was removing the inner wire, giving the cap a 'floppy' look. I then placed it between two large books (big phone books) and just left it there when I wasn't on duty. It worked quite well.

You can also, if you feel ambitious, do the same thing the pilots/aircrew did. Find an old pair of headphones (not walkman phones but the old fashioned 1970's headphones) or heavy earmuffs, a cheap styrofoam mannequin head, place headphones in proper position, and wait for 'crush' to appear. It's more time consuming but won't crush or kill the actual way the hat fits your head.

Hope that's what your looking for!

Nobody11
07-06-2007, 12:42 PM

ChiefAk47
07-07-2007, 01:31 PM
In what way was the plastic cut down behind the pin? Did they remove material from the top of the plastic or cut it off at the bottom? Also, does this procedure work with any material of fabric (wool, polyester, etc.)?

Nobody11
07-08-2007, 04:30 PM