PDA

View Full Version : Dope training

COASTIE01
05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Are there products that you can use in dope training so you dont have to use the real thing?

JSD73
05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Well I just learned that lipton tea leaves when rolled and lighted will smell exactly like good ol' Marijuana...other than that I reckon I can't give you much help.

Oh and supposedly more than 90% of all US Currency has some type of cocaine or narcotic residue.

k9 max
05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Yes there are pseudo narcotics. These have a similar odor as the actual narcotic, and it will not prove fatal if the dog encounters the substance. As a side note, if you're looking to train up a dog, the DEA can issue a license free of charge to law enforcement. This will allow you to acquire the actual narcotic you are training for.

k9fleck
05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
There are no Federal cases either endorsing or prohibiting the use of pseudo.
If you do train on pseudo, then:
1. Certify yearly on real;
2. If challenged in court, remember you are a canine handler, not a forensic chemist. Therefore, you can only testify that at the date of manufacture, forensic chemists have been able to replicate the odor signature of real. If the court needs additional information, you will need a forensic chemist. I suggest you contact US CBP (Customs and Border Protection), since they were the first to produce pseudo in the 1970’s. They continue to use pseudo cocaine, pseudo heroin and pseudo methamphetamine. Only a forensic chemist can testify on how they were able to replicate the odor of real;
3. Store pseudo exactly as the manufacturer directs. Pseudo’s odor signature is affected by excessive heat, excessive cold and direct sun light. If pseudo is not stored correctly, it will not replicate real;
4. Pseudo has a shelf life. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations of the shelf life on the product exactly. Pseudo has a normal shelf life of three to six months. After that, pseudo does not replicate real.

Regarding Lipton tea leaves when rolled and lighted will smell exactly like Marijuana, I have NOT experienced this. If this is the case in a particular dog, the dog must be proofed / extincted off of Lipton tea.

Regarding more than 90% of all US Currency has some type of cocaine or narcotic residue, yes, this is true. However, it has been scientifically proven that K-9’s will NOT alert to this RESIDUE.

Terry Fleck
Canine Legal Update and Opinions
www.k9fleck.org
(530) 545.2855

K9Nate
06-03-2007, 03:24 AM
As far as the scientific evidence of dogs not detecting residue on money, Can you cite any sources on this? Have you tried a dog on large bills?

Nate

k9fleck
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Question:
As far as the scientific evidence of dogs not detecting residue on money, Can you cite any sources on this? Have you tried a dog on large bills?

Answer:
Yes, I can provide the source to anyone within law enforcement. Contact me directly at k9fleck@aol.com.

Terry Fleck

cashton
08-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Regarding detecting on money, I have heard stories that dogs have alerted to large sums of money stored in a single spot. That makes since to me as the odor would be stronger due to the larger amount collected in a single area. Is there any truth to this or are they just that....stories?

K911
08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
regarding the burning lipton tea, it smells like...burning lipton tea. if you can't tell the difference, please never search someone's car based on "...training and experience I smelled what I believed to be marijuana...".

the residue on 90% of US currency is below the dog's threshold and will not be detected unless the currency has been in recent contact with narc. I have had a dog alert to less than $100.00 in a dope dealers bag and walk $20,000.00 + in a safe. it's recent proximity to source is the key, not just a large cache of $.

regarding pseudo, I have worked 3 dogs, all trained on real narc, and not one would alert to pseudo. hhmmm? if it smells the same why wouldn't 3 successful street dogs hit it? remember what the name implies, fake, bogus, imitation, false, phony...[I]the new websters thesaurus.[I] if possible I would stay away from it. I know many have had success but many have not. why take the chance when real narc is available?

pcdog
08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Regarding detecting on money, I have heard stories that dogs have alerted to large sums of money stored in a single spot. That makes since to me as the odor would be stronger due to the larger amount collected in a single area. Is there any truth to this or are they just that....stories?

Hi I have recently trained four of our forces drugs dogs to indicate money,
Sterling and Euros.
I have used larger amounts £30,000 or similar, as the dogs were hitting on small bills in wallets.
They are used mainly on larger operations on main dealers or at airports.
They have been particularly successful ,one locating £120,000 which had been buried a month earlier after a robbery.