PDA

View Full Version : CLEET and DOC

Dawg
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Here is a question I would like some input on. First of all we are all in different areas of L.E. So I don't even want to get that going on of who is better or whatever. What I do want to know is what are opinions on us officers that work for DOC here in OK. that are also CLEET certified as peace officers?

We have to maintain the same standards as far as training and what not. But would you other officers in the various P.D.'s, S.O.'s and even the troopers consider us as actual police officers or just as second class officers keeping thugs locked up?

stangfather
05-27-2007, 06:11 PM
not

even

touching

this

one

MudPupp
05-28-2007, 01:02 AM
not

even

touching

this

one

Sounds like someone had a "run-in" with an officer somewhere!

stangfather
05-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Sounds like someone had a "run-in" with an officer somewhere!

more than a couple...;)

lets put it this way, parole officers are great guys, havent met one yet that wasnt a good dude/chick but run of the mill corrections guys?

id rather give the fry cook from wendys a gun and badge and have him behind me in a stack...

stangfather
05-28-2007, 01:43 AM
double post whoops:D

Dawg
05-28-2007, 01:52 AM
No I didn't have a run in or any thing like that. I completed CLEET back in 2004.
Now i am not under any illusion that I am street cop. But I do go out on man hunts when called upon to do so. I also have to maintain the same hours needed to keep CLEET certification as any other peace officer in the state.

Also I know that a lot of street cops would not or could not do my job as well as I can do it. We all have our places in L.E. Also most of us that are CERT in corrections strive to be more than your so called run of the mill corrections officer.

MudPupp
05-28-2007, 04:49 AM
No I didn't have a run in or any thing like that. I completed CLEET back in 2004.
Now i am not under any illusion that I am street cop. But I do go out on man hunts when called upon to do so. I also have to maintain the same hours needed to keep CLEET certification as any other peace officer in the state.

Also I know that a lot of street cops would not or could not do my job as well as I can do it. We all have our places in L.E. Also most of us that are CERT in corrections strive to be more than your so called run of the mill corrections officer.

A lot of anger out there, my spider sense is tingling. Gonna stay AWAY from this thread.

stangfather
05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
its cause he has a Sigma...lol

just kidding Dawg..

MudPupp
05-29-2007, 12:47 AM
its cause he has a Sigma...lol

just kidding Dawg..

Hey the SW9VE has a lifetime warranty, the "pinto" of the Smith line but still it has a warranty.......:eek:

Bigg Dogg
05-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey the SW9VE has a lifetime warranty, the "pinto" of the Smith line but still it has a warranty.......:eek:

Don't all Smiths have a lifetime warranty??

MudPupp
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Don't all Smiths have a lifetime warranty??

Sure do, with exception to their new rifle the M&P 15 series, only one year there.

aircop26
05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
This is my first post on Officer.com. I am a city officer in Pottawatomie County. I recently stopped a DOC van for speeding in a school. They were professional, so I extended them the professional courtesy of a warning. As far as DOC officers being my equal I would say that some are. I met two of your fellow officers from Lexington. I asked their agency to assist my agency with their search/cadavor dogs. I was advised that something smelled dead in a creek area. Two officers arrived with blood hounds and searched the area. No dead body. but located some old industrial strenth cooking grease. I was very impressed. They told me that if our agency needed assistance, call them anytime. They said it would be a good excuse to get away from the prison.

MudPupp
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
This is my first post on Officer.com. I am a city officer in Pottawatomie County. I recently stopped a DOC van for speeding in a school. They were professional, so I extended them the professional courtesy of a warning. As far as DOC officers being my equal I would say that some are. I met two of your fellow officers from Lexington. I asked their agency to assist my agency with their search/cadavor dogs. I was advised that something smelled dead in a creek area. Two officers arrived with blood hounds and searched the area. No dead body. but located some old industrial strenth cooking grease. I was very impressed. They told me that if our agency needed assistance, call them anytime. They said it would be a good excuse to get away from the prison.

Ok, I can't stay away.... My experience, 99.95% are very professional, the .05% badge heavy, I'm gonna let EVERYONE know I'm in LE are the one's that cause trouble. Saw a couple at a local gun range throwing a fit about not getting the LE range time price. Wow, not an ounce of professionalism.

Dawg
06-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Ok, I can't stay away.... My experience, 99.95% are very professional, the .05% badge heavy, I'm gonna let EVERYONE know I'm in LE are the one's that cause trouble. Saw a couple at a local gun range throwing a fit about not getting the LE range time price. Wow, not an ounce of professionalism.

Those were two that make those of us in DOC look bad. If as a C.O. I catch a break on something I am grateful for it. I do not ask for or demand any special consideration.

dvdwhisenhunt
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Dawg where do you work at...I'm thinking of applying out at James Crabtree in a couple months...

Dawg
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
DvD I am at Northeast. Not a bad yard at all, but it is a very small yard.

D_Therio
03-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I know Oklahoma County requires you to start work in corrections before you can move on to being a deputy sheriff, but I'm also aware that some never make it out of the prison; they end up working in the correctional facility for years.

I'm in the process of applying for Pottawatomie County SO, and I'm hopeful to get in as reserves to bump me through my CLEET and shave 2 years of my C.O.P program at the college.

In response to DAWG, I know you guys have a very dangerous job, just like the LEO's working outside bringing in the suspects off of the streets. As far as having to put a weight on importance of either, I'm in no position to do so(and I hope I'm not posting in the wrong forum as a non LE).

5031OKC
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
In general my interactions have DOC officers has been good. In the past when I arrested someone on serious charges that was already on paper I would often contact their PO once I knew they would be up (I worked graveyards). They were always very nice and seemed to genuinely appreciate my phone call.

I've stopped DOC employees for traffic violations before. The only one I actually wrote received several tickets to go with the DUI charge and trip to jail. There are bad apples no matter where you go in the CJ system. Luckily they are usually few and far between. This thankfully seems to be the case with DOC as well.

Do I consider them police officers? No. If I were to plop them down in a scout car and send them on patrol in my city they wouldn't know what the hell they were doing. They are corrections officers. Of course, there are people on my department I don't really consider police officers either, and it's for the exact same reason: they don't know what they're doing. ;) That doesn't make them "less than" so to speak. They are just a different cog in the criminal justice wheel. I consider myself a police officer. I am not a corrections officer. If you plopped me down in Lexington and told me to get after it I would probably get myself killed or fired before the end of the shift. I am obviously fully trained to CLEET's standards, but that doesn't mean I could work in corrections. I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing.

To be honest, I wouldn't want your job. It's a tough environment to work in. From what I know, DOC guards are understaffed (often dangerously so) and underpaid. No thank you. I'll stick with understaffed and adequately paid. God love you guys that do it. It's a thankless job.

BigHamp
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
<<<<<< works at the Juvenile Detention Center......guess we are considered 5th class in law enforcement... we dont even get flashlights or a whistle.

blackstang
03-29-2012, 02:36 AM
D_Therio

If you get stuck in the jail it's your own fault...

So you are trying to be a Reserve Deputy? Because if you drop out of the COPS program you are just waisting your time. The reserve CLEET cert has no use to you if you are trying to get your Police Science Degree. They only accept Full time CLEET.

Future Shield
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Here is a question I would like some input on. First of all we are all in different areas of L.E. So I don't even want to get that going on of who is better or whatever. What I do want to know is what are opinions on us officers that work for DOC here in OK. that are also CLEET certified as peace officers?

We have to maintain the same standards as far as training and what not. But would you other officers in the various P.D.'s, S.O.'s and even the troopers consider us as actual police officers or just as second class officers keeping thugs locked up?

No you are not a PO as a PO is not a CO. You want to be a PO, then you chose the wrong career. I am Federal CO, and would not call myself a PO. You must be a young cat to post such a question. Lastly, all departments have their share individuals that degrade their character and attempt to degrade other Law Enforcement Officers, as you can tell by some of the replies.

I worked at the State level and currently work for the FED. I have had no negative issues with other Law Enforcement Officers, whether they were ICE, US Marshals, state police, Local Police or the Sheriff’s departments. We all have our duties as public servants, so treat your brothers from all departments with respect and courtesy, even confused ones like Dawg.