PDA

View Full Version : New Laws for Constables

AvalancheZ71
05-21-2007, 11:49 AM
A constable shall have access to information from the center if the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training certifies that the constable has completed the course required by § 14-14-1314.

14-14-1314. Constable training requirements — Uniform requirements.
(a)(1)(A) For a constable to have access to information from the Arkansas Crime Information Center:
(i) He or she shall satisfactorily complete the constable certification course provided by the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training.
(ii) Each year after completing the certification course required under subdivision (1)(A)(i) of this subsection, he or she shall satisfactorily complete sixteen (16) hours of training provided by the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training.
(B) For a constable to carry a firearm:
(i) He or she shall attend sixteen (16) hours of firearms training; and
(ii) Each year after completing the training
required under subdivision (1)(B)(I) of this subsection, he or she shall
satisfy the firearm qualification standards for a law enforcement official.
(2) A constable holding office on the effective date of this section is exempt from the requirements of subdivision (a)(1) of this section if the constable has completed:
(A) The part-time II law enforcement training or higher level training course; and
(B) Mandatory racial profiling courses.
(b)(1) In the performance of his or her official duties, a constable shall wear a uniform consisting of:
(A) The following shirts:

(i) A long sleeve black shirt with black epaulets and black pocket flaps and a gray tie from October 1 until March 31;
(ii) A short sleeve black shirt with black epaulets and black pocket flaps from April 1 until September 30; or
(iii) A white shirt on formal occasions at any time;
(B)(i) A constable identification patch on the left shoulder of the shirt and an American flag on the right shoulder.
(ii) The top of each patch shall be one inch (1”) down from the shoulder seam of the shirt;
(C) A name tag above the right pocket flap of the shirt;
(D) A six-point star, containing the words “Arkansas Constable” shall be on the left side of the shirt;
(E) The following pants:
(i) Tan pants; or
(ii) Blue or black pants on formal occasions; and
(F) A gray hat with a six-point star on the front containing the words “Arkansas Constable”.
(2) If a constable is engaged in search or rescue activities, he or she shall wear a uniform consisting of:
(A) A black shirt;
(B) Black pants; and
(C) A black cap with a six-point star with the words “Arkansas Constable”.
(c) In the performance of his or her official duties, a constable shall drive a motor vehicle that is:
(1) Fully equipped with emergency equipment; and
(2) Clearly marked with a six-point star and the words "Arkansas Constable".

12-9-115. Training for constables.
After consultation with the Arkansas Constables Association, the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training shall develop a training course of one hundred twenty (120) hours to one hundred sixty (160)
hours for certifying new constables.

AvalancheZ71
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Wow, that uniform is a joke. What a terrible color combination. I wonder how a constable can work an undercover operation if he shall wear a uniform to perform his duties. What about if he comes across something while out of uniform?

ArkansasFan24
06-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Is this for real? I support the training requirements totally, but mandating a specific uniform specifically a black one. That is ridiculous, and I'm sure the constable association will seek change in that regard. I'm not a constable by the way.

arcop223
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
If a Constable gets his power by the state constitution, as the sheriff does, I see some court battles over lawmakers trying to restrict it. When I was with the PD, we had some real good Constables, we also had some real $#ity ones. But, when I needed backup, I didn’t care if he was a farmer with double barrel.

AvalancheZ71
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
A black shirt with tan pants and a gray tie to top it off.

Eddiebauer86
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I gotta agree, thats a nasty uniform. Does anyone know the Arkansas requirement for getting elected as a constable. Im talking about the process to get into the election. Also, whats their jurisdiction like, are they statewide, or set to a specific county?

AvalancheZ71
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
No, Arkansas constables can only act in their elected township. They may pursue under the fresh pursuit laws in Arkansas. You just need to be a resident of the township and be registered to vote to run for election for constable.

Eddiebauer86
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
By the way, what are you doing over here in the Arkansas forums Avalanche?

AvalancheZ71
06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I get on the Indiana forum far more than this one. I have studied the office of Constable and it's modern day capacity. I keep up on the laws and attorney general opinoins as well as case law on the subject. AR still has the office and I read up on it from time to time and thought that since the law passed, I would pass it along. I studied AR case law and statue before I posted the response to your question on these issue previously.

See REED v. STATE of Arkansas
http://courts.state.ar.us/opinions/1997b/971204/cr97-661.txt

Attorney General Opinions
http://ag.arkansas.gov/opinions/docs/93-017.html
http://ag.arkansas.gov/opinions/docs/2006-073.html

Eddiebauer86
06-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Do you happen to know anything about TN constables?

AvalancheZ71
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes, more than I know about AR constables.

Eddiebauer86
06-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I started a Thread in Tennessee.

Watchman
06-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Interesting.

I occasionally work with some Constables and NONE of them are wearing the prescribed uniform.

Some wear the dark blue BDU's that the ASP wears, but with the 6 pointed star. The one for Appleton wears the same uniform as the Pope County Sheriffs. I've seen a few wear black BDu's and more than a few wear NO uniform. I do know that unless they have been to Part Time II that they will not get any return other than vehicle license. As far as I know ANY constable can attend any class by getting approval of the Country Sheriff and they can do it for free. Since Arkansas requires that those that attend be sponsered by some organization, all they have to do is get it OKed by the Sheriff.

AvalancheZ71
02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Interesting.

I occasionally work with some Constables and NONE of them are wearing the prescribed uniform.

Some wear the dark blue BDU's that the ASP wears, but with the 6 pointed star. The one for Appleton wears the same uniform as the Pope County Sheriffs. I've seen a few wear black BDu's and more than a few wear NO uniform. I do know that unless they have been to Part Time II that they will not get any return other than vehicle license. As far as I know ANY constable can attend any class by getting approval of the Country Sheriff and they can do it for free. Since Arkansas requires that those that attend be sponsered by some organization, all they have to do is get it OKed by the Sheriff.

Well you did not see any constables wearing that uniform as the law had just passed. Have you see any wearing the prescribed uniform?

paladin5150
02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Any Picts of guys in this uniform requirement?

AvalancheZ71
02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I haven't seen any pictures of that one myself. That sounds like a clown costume. Black shirt, tan pants and a grey tie.

gruntpain1775
05-28-2013, 02:11 AM
I know this is a necro post, but the law was just amended again regarding Constables uniforms. Bringing it back up since you might run into a Constable. Patches and badges remain a requirement, but the hat, tie and color of the uniform is out the window. They can wear whatever color they wish.