PDA

View Full Version : Phonetics

dispatcher63
03-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Our sheriff decided today that he wants all of the SO policies and protocols revised :confused: . I'm not quite sure why were being asked to update everything, but I guess its a good thing.

We technically use the standard Adam, Boy, Charlie police phonetics system (why am I forgetting its name), but in reality most of our dispatchers and deputies (and all of fire rescue & EMS) use international (NATO) phonetics - Alpha, Bravo, Charlie. We're considering adopting international phonetics when we revise the communications protocol. I noticed that Virgina standardized phonetics as part of their NIMS push. Does NIMS dictate a specific phonetics system? Does anyone know of any good reason why we should use standard police phonetics instead? Thanks!

CODE-30
03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
I think it should be the same for every dept. We use Adam, Boy, Charlie, and when another dept calls us and starts throwing out Alpha, Bravo it kind of throws me off. I'm not ready for it sometimes and usually have to stop them and ask them to start over.

willowdared
03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
NIMS has not yet defined a "standard" other then using "plain speak" for inter-agency communications.

We use Adam, Boy, Charles....

Tim Dees
03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Switching over is going to be a real challenge. Learning those phonetics is a little like learning a foreign language, and after a while, you can say "Adam, Boy Charles" as fast as you can say "A,B,C" and without thinking about it. I had to learn the NATO system for the Army, but I never used it much, and now I can't even recall all the letters/words, much less use it in common speech.

Even the minor variations can throw you off. We used "Charles" instead of "Charlie," and I do a double-take when I hear it.

FEMA ought to standardize on a system - the phonetics aren't like radio codes. "C" "D" and "E" can sound very similar over a radio, and that can be costly.

I have learned that using police phonetics in the non-police world can be counterproductive. Simple as it is, people have trouble spelling my last name. On the phone, I've tried spelling it out as "David, Edward, Edward, Sam," and usually hear, "I thought you said your name was Tim?"

Bearcat357
03-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Switching over is going to be a real challenge. Learning those phonetics is a little like learning a foreign language, and after a while, you can say "Adam, Boy Charles" as fast as you can say "A,B,C" and without thinking about it. I had to learn the NATO system for the Army, but I never used it much, and now I can't even recall all the letters/words, much less use it in common speech.

Try working/training folks to work as a LEO at an Airport.....where you have to use NATO when you are on the ramps/runways doing patrols.....and then switch back to "Adam, Boy, Charles, etc...." when you are on the road.....

And yes, it was a PITA for a few folks......and something I had to practcie with my Boots when I was playing FTO.....

cantue5
03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I think the NATO might be more widely recognized outside of the LE world but like stated earlier it is like learning a foriegn language. I am in the same situation but reversed...I know the NATO by heart but trying to learn the LE one for the academy. If anyone can give me the whole alphabet or tell me the proper name that would be great. Tried looking it up but no dice.

Bearcat357
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
If anyone can give me the whole alphabet or tell me the proper name that would be great.

A-Adam
B-Boy
C-Charles
D-David
E-Edward
F-Frank
G-George
H-Henry
I-Ida
J-John
K-King
L-Lincoln
M-Mary
N-Nora
O-Ocean
P-Paul
Q-Queen
R-Robert
S-Sam
T-Tom
U-Union
V-Victor
W-William
X-X-Ray
Y-Young
Z-Zebra

MPD_Dispatch
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
We use the standard in my department, with the exception we are taught b is baker not boy

Bearcat357
03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
A-Alpha
B-Bravo
C-Charlie
D-Delta
E-Echo
F-Foxtrot
G-Golf
H-Hotel
I-India
J-Juliett
K-Kilo
L-Lima
M-Mike
N-November
O-Oscar
P-Papa
Q-Quebec
R-Romeo
S-Sierra
T-Tango t├Žngo
U-Uniform
V-Victor
W-Whiskey
X-Xray
Y-Yankee
Z-Zulu

Tim Dees
03-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Y-YoungWe used "Yellow." This isn't going to be easy.

Ivet
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
hmmm...yes we use the same phonetics except Y is yellow..

cantue5
03-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks bearcat....this is really going to help. I saw a vid clip of a LA county trainee getting ripped by an instructor for not knowing how to spell his name phonetically. Don't want to be the one! :eek: Thanks again...and your NATO looks right on! :D

Bearcat357
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
We used "Yellow." This isn't going to be easy.

Most be a West Coast thing.... :D

Bearcat357
03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks bearcat....this is really going to help. I saw a vid clip of a LA county trainee getting ripped by an instructor for not knowing how to spell his name phonetically. Don't want to be the one! :eek: Thanks again...and your NATO looks right on! :D

No problem.....

I work with a lot of guys that just got out of the military.....so I have fun by tossing out "civilian" phonetics at them all the time..... :D

willowdared
03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Yellow here too.

And we have some officers from Australia and Ireland...they say zehbra, instead of zeebra....makes things interesting.

I always get a kick out of RP's when they phoenetic things....you get things like Pizza Always Uniform Larry. :D

dispatcher63
03-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Okay... thanks for all the responses. It seems like we're going the NATO route anyways.

I think we need phonetics standardization, but that's way less important that code standardization. We always say zulu instead of zebra because we use "code zebra" to alert EMS and the hospital of a mass casualty incident :rolleyes: . Its their overhead paging code for MCIs and they won't change. I always feel incredibly stupid toning and announcing a code zebra.