PDA

View Full Version : Cops writing other cops

VP1
03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Just wondering,
Why is it that when a police officer pulls over another off duty officer for speeding he is expected to let him off the hook? Talk about trying to be above the law. If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?

Rohan
03-18-2007, 06:30 AM
deleted should have been a quote.

Rohan
03-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Just wondering,
Why is it that when a police officer pulls over another off duty officer for speeding he is expected to let him off the hook? Talk about trying to be above the law. If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?
Post reported for it's anti-LEO content.

bigislander72
03-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Post reported for it's anti-LEO content.

Lighten up man! He was just asking a question. Does he have to tiptoe around the issue? There are other topics that address this very issue.

Raiden
03-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Just wondering,
If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?

Hi VP1,

Just a warning before the wolves come at you. . .

1) You will be told that this issue/topic has been discussed many times and to use the search feature
2) Because of item 1) you will most likely be shunned and will not be looked upon highly
3) Keep in mind that LEOs are most likely the users of this website, you will not always get the answer you are looking to get.

Now that is out of the way, it depends who you ask. Some states are very strict when it comes to citing for speeding. For example, the Commonwealth of Virginia believe it or not is pretty strict. Some LEOs get really ****ed because their fellow Virginia brethren stops/cites them.

You have to understand, LEOs are under a lot of scrutiny; so things like allowing them off with a warning is like a work perk. Its nothing official, but remember, when 911 is dialed, its the cops that come to the rescue. So in a way, they deserve some more leniency. A thing that I have noticed on these forums when asked the question is that it is really at the discretion of the LEO to cite or not to cite the off-duty cop that was speeding. It is the same discretion they use when they pull over a civilian; they can cite you or not. Obviously, if the off-duty cop is acting like a jerk and expects it unilaterally, the odds are, he'll be cited not for speeding, but for just being a jerk about it.

I don't agree always with what is mentioned here in regards to cite or not to cite, but, you have to understand LEOs are just humans like yourself and I; they make mistakes. Because they choose not to cite a fellow LEO doesn't always mean they're not doing their jobs.

Irishluck31
03-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Lighten up man! He was just asking a question. Does he have to tiptoe around the issue? There are other topics that address this very issue.

Yes as a matter of fact, he should tip toe around the issue. Dont you have a pottery class or something your missing right now?

Cops dont write other cops because we dont want to, good enough. Its kinda like doctors writting scripts to another doc for vicaden when he really doesnt need the vicaden. Its sort of like you giving your Best Buy employee discount to your buddy who doesnt work there. :D

MikeM
03-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Its just like any other job.. they have perks

If you work at McDonalds..... you get free food
If you work at a bank..... you get a lower interest rate
If you work at retail store..... you get discounts
If your a cop..... you may get professional courtesy

Trooper4985
03-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Just wondering,

I am a very proactive guy... on a regular 12 hour day shift, I stop between 10 and 50 cars depending on complaint load. I stop plenty of cops, doctors, nurses, firemen, CO's etc that I let go. I also stop plenty of regular people who I let go. Don't ask for tickets (attitude or a car stinking like you just gave Cheech and Chong a ride) and you probably wont get one.

03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Just wondering,

Why is it that when a troll visits Officer.com fails to do a search and posts a question that has been asked five hundred times he gets upset that he gets stupid answers? Are not all registered users of this site expected to search before asking questions? If your job is to do a search before posting why do you think you can fail to search and get away with it? Pretty stupid if you ask me. Opinions?

_If you really want a good answer do a traffic enforcment study.________________________

1.) Pick a five mile stretch of road, then for 6 months you must count every car that travels on that road. Then you must also do a study on the posted speed limit and take in account for schools, traffic controls, pedestrian traffic, tourism, residencial areas, traffic flow, weather, etc.
2.) Now you need to obtain motorvehicle stop data from every Police department that patrols that area. You will need to include every time an on duty Officer drives on the road you are studying and the amount of time he/she spent on that road, why they were on that road,the time of day, and length of time spent on that road. Now you can look at how many traffic stops were conducted. You will need to look at how many verbal and written warnings were issued, how many stops were for assistance such as broken down cars or accidents, how many arrests were made, how many criminal summons, and finally how many citations were issue that resulted in only a fine. Also it needs to be included all the number of violations that were discovered and of those which were not included in the citation. Moreover, you will need to have Officers that were patrolling road write down how many violations that they actually observed and either chose not to or were unable to stop. That should take another 4 months to compile that data.

3.) Of the vehicles you need to separate them by type of vehicle, condition of vehicle (safe or unsafe), general look of vehicle. Of those people stopped you will need to divide them up by criminal history, driving history, age, how they are dressed, occupation, etc. Then you need to indicate what they did as the Officer was stopping them, quick movements, nothing, or turned dome light on and put hands on the wheel waiting for the Officer. You further will have to show the persons attitude, carefully documenting their exact demeanor. Thats another 2 months of work.

4.) You will also need to complete a 6 month police academy and work as a Patrol Officer for 2 years. This will give you an understanding of patrol operations, stress of the job, responding to all sorts of calls, investigating minor to fatal car accidents, and learning from Veteran Officers that have 25 years + of service.

5.) I guarentee that in 3 1/2 years you will be able to answer your own question.

1042 Trooper
03-18-2007, 01:15 PM
And let the games begin.......:D

Lt32
03-18-2007, 01:44 PM

What he said ^^^^^^

SgtCHP
03-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Just wondering,

My agency has determined that its officers are adults capabale of making sound decisions based on a number of circumstances - training, experience, observation, knowledge, etc - and has endowed them with the ability to take one of four basic enforcement actions, or a combination thereof, for all violations they may observe.

Those actions are: 1/ ARREST; 2/ CITE and RELEASE; 3/ WRITTEN WARNINGS; and, 4/ VERBAL WARNINGS.

The officers may utilize these actions for ANY person they stop or detain. Suffice it to say they do so with the utmost of professionalism and comfortment.

Yes, even you may be given a warning!!!

Tim Dees
03-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Just wondering,
Why is it that when a police officer pulls over another off duty officer for speeding he is expected to let him off the hook? Talk about trying to be above the law. If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?This issue, usually under the heading of "professional courtesy," is one of the most contentious on Officer.com and in policing. Every officer I know has a strong opinion on it, stemming from their feelings about the fraternal aspect of policing, the nature of the job, and their ethical center.

Rather than start a new and usually pointless discussion, I suggest you get a cup of your favorite beverage, do a forum search on the string "professional courtesy," and settle yourself in for a long read with lots of page scrolling.

And, for the sake of keeping peace in the valley, please don't ask questions that presuppose the answer and then criticize it, all in one motion. Whatever it is that you do for a living, I am sure that there are stereotypes associated with it. You would probably probably object if people assumed that you matched the stereotype and then immediately criticized you for being that way. There are approximately 800,000 cops in the United States. Please don't assume that they all act, think, or feel the same way about anything.

03-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Your Right- I want to post my thoughts on this forum and then when the next person comes along and posts this question again I can just copy and paste.

The kid who asked the question is in College... whats one more research project. He should know by now that making sweeping accusations and assumptions are an ineffective way to answering any question he has, especially on a controversial topic.
By the way lets just say you (kid who posted this question) are a Civil Engineering major (which I know nothing about). I will not come to a Civil Engineering Forum and post a question that is controversial on a topic I know nothing about.

I could write...

Just wondering,
Why is it that when a civil engineer designs a bridge in rich white CA nieghborhood he makes it lavish and well built but he builds another bridge in a bad niegborhood in some city that the black, hispanic, immigrant population is in the majority it is thrown together. Why would you build a mediocre bridge for black, hispanic, immigrant people and a grand one for a rich white population ? Talk about being racist. If your job is to make good bridges then why do you think you can be so racist get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?

Now thats said if you were a CE major you might say that I know nothing about bridges and that the I would need to consider city budgets, design details, area studies, geological studies, river size-depth-speed, and so on. Then you would say how dare I call you racist.

Bearcat357
03-18-2007, 02:30 PM
For example, the Commonwealth of Virginia believe it or not is pretty strict. Some LEOs get really ****ed because their fellow Virginia brethren stops/cites them.

Funny....I have been pulled over a time or two in VA and have never gotten stroked for a ticket.......so don't paste VA as being a place that will write LEOs.... :rolleyes:

All areas have Officers that will write other Officers.......

MarineGrunt
03-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Just because of this post I will only pull over and ticket police officers even on duty in a marked car, even the chief :rolleyes:

Trooper4985
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Why is it that when a troll visits Officer.com fails to do a search and posts a question that has been asked five hundred times he gets upset that he gets stupid answers? Are not all registered users of this site expected to search before asking questions? If your job is to do a search before posting why do you think you can fail to search and get away with it? Pretty stupid if you ask me. Opinions?

_If you really want a good answer do a traffic enforcment study.________________________

1.) Pick a five mile stretch of road, then for 6 months you must count every car that travels on that road. Then you must also do a study on the posted speed limit and take in account for schools, traffic controls, pedestrian traffic, tourism, residencial areas, traffic flow, weather, etc.
2.) Now you need to obtain motorvehicle stop data from every Police department that patrols that area. You will need to include every time an on duty Officer drives on the road you are studying and the amount of time he/she spent on that road, why they were on that road,the time of day, and length of time spent on that road. Now you can look at how many traffic stops were conducted. You will need to look at how many verbal and written warnings were issued, how many stops were for assistance such as broken down cars or accidents, how many arrests were made, how many criminal summons, and finally how many citations were issue that resulted in only a fine. Also it needs to be included all the number of violations that were discovered and of those which were not included in the citation. Moreover, you will need to have Officers that were patrolling road write down how many violations that they actually observed and either chose not to or were unable to stop. That should take another 4 months to compile that data.

3.) Of the vehicles you need to separate them by type of vehicle, condition of vehicle (safe or unsafe), general look of vehicle. Of those people stopped you will need to divide them up by criminal history, driving history, age, how they are dressed, occupation, etc. Then you need to indicate what they did as the Officer was stopping them, quick movements, nothing, or turned dome light on and put hands on the wheel waiting for the Officer. You further will have to show the persons attitude, carefully documenting their exact demeanor. Thats another 2 months of work.

4.) You will also need to complete a 6 month police academy and work as a Patrol Officer for 2 years. This will give you an understanding of patrol operations, stress of the job, responding to all sorts of calls, investigating minor to fatal car accidents, and learning from Veteran Officers that have 25 years + of service.

5.) I guarentee that in 3 1/2 years you will be able to answer your own question.

Good Job... a very well thought out and worded response. I'm sure he didn't expect that. :)

kentreserve45
03-18-2007, 05:24 PM
When I read this post the first thing I thought was a cop hating dope smoking college kid. Bingo. If you look at his other post it talks about getting popped with weed and if he'll be able to keep it off his record.

WadsonF
03-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm not even "po po" yet, and already made the decision on depending the situation, I would never ticket "family" members through my dept.

bigislander72
03-18-2007, 06:42 PM
What would above "idiot" put into the search engine to find this topic? I am having a hard time finding it. Perhaps you guys could just lay off the insults and paste a link. Then the question could be answered, and the kid could stop "trolling" as you speak.

I thought the other post was very up front and courteous. What about it ****es everyone off so much? You guys are way to sensitive.

t150vsuptpr
03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Just wondering,

I'm wondering why you ask the question as you did?

You posted what started out as a perfectly normal question ...
... and then you follow it with the assumption that the granting of "PC" is standard, universal, and always done. Your post is then much akin to me asking you if you still beat your wife or if you are still having sex with your 12 year old sister (do feel free to answer either question if you feel you must).

It's not universal or always.

True enough, many LEOs do fully expect (and some few demand) their self claimed fair share of "PC" for themselves, some even fully expect it for family (and some few even expect it to be extended to friends and buisness associates). By the same token ... some are dissapointed in the real world, and some very few of those come to public accessable websights to cry about it ... but they are hardly representative of all those in LE (well, maybe they represent a small minority).

That's all.

:D

StudChris
03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
What would above "idiot" put into the search engine to find this topic? I am having a hard time finding it. Perhaps you guys could just lay off the insults and paste a link. Then the question could be answered, and the kid could stop "trolling" as you speak.

I thought the other post was very up front and courteous. What about it ****es everyone off so much? You guys are way to sensitive.

I searched "Professional Courtesy", just like someone up there said to search for, and came up with 11 pages of threads, that doesn't even include the who knows how many pages inside the threads themselves.

bigislander72
03-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I searched "Professional Courtesy", just like someone up there said to search for, and came up with 11 pages of threads, that doesn't even include the who knows how many pages inside the threads themselves.

Doh, never thought of that one. Tried tickets, cops writing cops ect..

StudChris
03-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Doh, never thought of that one. Tried tickets, cops writing cops ect..

I like to listen to the smart guys around here. ;)

I suggest you get a cup of your favorite beverage, do a forum search on the string "professional courtesy," and settle yourself in for a long read with lots of page scrolling.

VP1
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm not a troll or anti-LEO. I recently visited a website, I believe it was writeacop.com. The people who post on there act as though it is required that they be let off the hook for speeding. I got my answer, the thread can be locked if you like. Thanks, VP1

VP1
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
When I read this post the first thing I thought was a cop hating dope smoking college kid. Bingo. If you look at his other post it talks about getting popped with weed and if he'll be able to keep it off his record.

hahaha, not quite. Yea I did get stopped. That doesn't mean I hate cops. I respect the job you guys do and realize it was my own dumb fault for getting stopped.
P.S. You forgot the quote the part where I said I was planning to join the military and that I was respectful to the officer.

StudChris
03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
P.S. You forgot the quote the part where I said I was planning to join the military and that I was respectful to the officer.

Plenty of military guys hate cops too.

1042 Trooper
03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
*fingers in his ears and hands over eyes*

"NA NA NA NA NA NA NA ICAN'TREADTHISICAN'TTREADTHISICAN'TREADTHIS NA NA NA NA NA NA"

Sgt. Geezer
03-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Just wondering,
Here's my response.... do you like puzzles?

E_ _ S_ _ _ & D_ _.

TOPPED_OUT
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Here's my response.... do you like puzzles?

E_ _ S_ _ _ & D_ _.

I'd like to buy a vowel :D

Sgt. Geezer
03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
There are four ....... 2ยข each.

1042 Trooper
03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Just wondering,
See what happens when you mess with fire? As you can see, we never ***-u-me. You know why.

As it happens, not all of us subscribe to your assumption, but we all stand together when you try a back handed beotch slap.

Now go away and bother us no more.

bigislander72
03-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I like to listen to the smart guys around here. ;)

But how would he know to use the term "professional courtesty" before Tim pointed it out? Its a pretty specialized term; I never heard of it before reading threads about cops ticketing other cops.

BTW I agree with the OP 100%. Getting afree pass on breaking the law is not the same as getting free food if you work at McDonalds.

djack16
03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
The MacDonald's free food and retail store discounts examples are those of INCENTIVES to keep people working in those places. There are no such incentives in LE because :shocked: nobody is above our laws (i.e. law is equally applied to all). Some people get that idea though; they have the authority and think it's justified because of the fraternal aspects of the job.

I think the OP worded his post wrong. He is obviously talking about the officers around here that think it's ok to let officers off the hook for things a citizen would normally be ticketed for. You know the guys "If I see a badge I send'em off with a wave and a good night." :rolleyes:

VP1
03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
See what happens when you mess with fire? As you can see, we never ***-u-me. You know why.

As it happens, not all of us subscribe to your assumption, but we all stand together when you try a back handed beotch slap.

Now go away and bother us no more.

Thanks for being one of the few to reply in a civilized manner. I don't see why people can't reply in a civilized manner to a non threatening question. Some of you guys act like I'm trying to talk crap about cops by asking a controversial question. If you feel that is the case please point out the parts of my post where I was offensive or rude. I'm sorry if it's been discussed before, I didn't search for it. Some people need to stop ***-u-ming that just because I ask question that is controversial means I dislike you. Not all 21 yr old college students hate cops. In fact, the only cops (or anyone for that matter) that I dislike are the ones who are rude to me when I am nothing but respectful to them.
And lastly, no one forced you to reply. If you don't like the topic, move on. Cheers-VP1

School Cop
03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Some of you guys act like I'm trying to talk crap about cops by asking a controversial question. If you feel that is the case please point out the parts of my post where I was offensive or rude.

Talk about trying to be above the law.
Don't assume my motivations. That's rude.

If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it?
Don't tell me what I am thinking and then ask why I think it. Very offensive.

Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
Pretty judgmental if you ask me.

VP1
03-20-2007, 12:32 AM
I should have phrased my question differently using the words, "some cops" instead of "you cops". I agree.

LA Copper
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
It's probably been pointed out already but I'll say it again, believe it or not, we (cops) give citizens plenty of breaks also. Speaking for myself, I give more verbal warnings than tickets to "regular," non-police officer folks.

As for why we as officers generally give other officers breaks, maybe it's because we understand each other and know that this line of work is the only job (outside of the military) where other people actively try to hurt or kill you. Since I've been on the job, 35 fellow officers on my department alone, have died in the line of duty. That's a lot of folks out there trying to protect total strangers for not a lot of money. I also know that a fellow officer would stop and help me if he/she saw me struggling with a suspect while the majority (not all) of "regular" folk would just drive on by. I figure it's the least we can do for each other.

So if we happen to allow a fellow officer off without a ticket, just like we do with other citizens, it's really no big deal.

Natrix
03-20-2007, 02:53 AM
Just wondering,

I'm not a cop, but the way I see it, whether you like it or not, their job IS different. Meaning they specifically and when called for directly have to put their life on the line when required, so I think getting out of a few tickets is no big deal (unless of course there was some kind of recklessness involved).

Just reading a post previously about the off-duty officer in the Utah mall shooting, and how he, and from my understanding, most or almost all cops (as it seems that most cops also try to be prepared off-duty) would have felt compelled to do the same in confronting the mass murderer and putting his life on the line on his OWN Off-DUTY time, while with the family, and having to separate from his family to control the situation. Imagine if word got out that there was a off-duty officer and absolutely nothing was done or ran away, and signifantly more people were killed. I'm sure there would have been people such as yourself screaming bloody hell.

So IMO there is a double standard in that if you were in the mall (or any close loved ones), getting shot at or killed, you would pray that there was a cop (on or off-duty) to confront the situation, but **** off about cops getting professional courtesy.

J-ville 5-0
03-20-2007, 04:10 AM
So IMO there is a double standard in that if you were in the mall (or any close loved ones), getting shot at or killed, you would pray that there was a cop (on or off-duty) to confront the situation, but **** off about cops getting professional courtesy.

COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!

bigislander72
03-20-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm not a cop, but the way I see it, whether you like it or not, their job IS different. Meaning they specifically and when called for directly have to put their life on the line when required, so I think getting out of a few tickets is no big deal (unless of course there was some kind of recklessness involved).

Just reading a post previously about the off-duty officer in the Utah mall shooting, and how he, and from my understanding, most or almost all cops (as it seems that most cops also try to be prepared off-duty) would have felt compelled to do the same in confronting the mass murderer and putting his life on the line on his OWN Off-DUTY time, while with the family, and having to separate from his family to control the situation. Imagine if word got out that there was a off-duty officer and absolutely nothing was done or ran away, and signifantly more people were killed. I'm sure there would have been people such as yourself screaming bloody hell.

If all citizens were allowed to conceal-carry, I am sure that some who were not LEO would have put an end to the situation, no cop needed. But the way the laws are written, we pretty much have to depend on you all for our protection, unless we want to break the law and pack illegally.

AZLawDawg
03-20-2007, 06:35 AM
If all citizens were allowed to conceal-carry, I am sure that some who were not LEO would have put an end to the situation, no cop needed. But the way the laws are written, we pretty much have to depend on you all for our protection, unless we want to break the law and pack illegally.

That all depends on where you live, here in AZ, if you are old enough with a clean record, you can open carry almost anywhere, if you want a CCW, those aren't all that difficult to get either.

texaschickeee
03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
funny-
the wonder cheif hurrtt here in houston attempted to implament that if HPD pulled over any other LEO they had to get both supervisers out, :confused:
then when it got out to the news he pulled out.

Cops know how to drive, they typically drive the same way all the time...

I dont get busted everytime I do something dumb (like speed) so cut them a break to.

SgtScott31
03-20-2007, 01:06 PM
But how would he know to use the term "professional courtesty" before Tim pointed it out? Its a pretty specialized term; I never heard of it before reading threads about cops ticketing other cops.

BTW I agree with the OP 100%. Getting afree pass on breaking the law is not the same as getting free food if you work at McDonalds.

You would know the term if you were a LEO. That's why we leave these types of question to actual police officers.

bigcop97
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Thats so weird.... I have not been on the boards for about a month and one of the top forums is still some troll getting our feathers ruffled about Proffesional courtesy....

Marsha
03-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm guilty of not reading the other answers but here's my thoughts... And please understand it would definiatly depend on the situation of course but on a normal stop..speeding etc. I wouldn't write the ticket and would chalk it up to professional courtsey and sleep better that night. aka what comes around goes around....perhaps a bit hypocritical but there's no law against that ;o)

bigislander72
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
You would know the term if you were a LEO. That's why we leave these types of question to actual police officers.

Of course LEOs would know that term. I mean how would the OP know that term? You guys were basically calling him an idiot for not doing a search first, but it only comes up when you use the specialized term.

PS I apologize for my superiority type complex regrading my chosen profession and intelligence required. I guess all fields have that problem to some extent. I do stand by my original statements, but the way I worded it was messed up, I'm sorry.

Justice71
03-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Just wondering,
I dont feel this post is 'LE Bashing', in fact i agree with the post to an extent, though i cant say ive seen or done it myself, ive heard similar things of this nature. I enjoyed reading about that chief what was it a month ago or so that gave himself a ticket for going through i believe it was a bus stop sign, it shows a whole different side to the profession in my opinion.

But my opinion in regards to the ticketing, for me it would depend on the situation at hand.

bigislander72
03-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes as a matter of fact, he should tip toe around the issue. Dont you have a pottery class or something your missing right now?

Cops dont write other cops because we dont want to, good enough. Its kinda like doctors writting scripts to another doc for vicaden when he really doesnt need the vicaden. Its sort of like you giving your Best Buy employee discount to your buddy who doesnt work there. :D

Boldface = Felony fo sho'

Italics = Probably illegal as well, or at least worthy of getting fired.

StudChris
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I enjoyed reading about that chief what was it a month ago or so that gave himself a ticket for going through i believe it was a bus stop sign, it shows a whole different side to the profession in my opinion.

You're right, it shows the publicity stunt side.

VSPClem
03-20-2007, 05:08 PM
The MacDonald's free food and retail store discounts examples are those of INCENTIVES to keep people working in those places. There are no such incentives in LE because :shocked: nobody is above our laws (i.e. law is equally applied to all). Some people get that idea though; they have the authority and think it's justified because of the fraternal aspects of the job.

I think the OP worded his post wrong. He is obviously talking about the officers around here that think it's ok to let officers off the hook for things a citizen would normally be ticketed for. You know the guys "If I see a badge I send'em off with a wave and a good night." :rolleyes:

Check it out:

First, I give warnings to Non-Leos, I give warnings to LEOs, I give warnings to Nurses etc etc....I have given a warning to somebody from EVERY sector of society, so its not like just police are getting off with breaks.

Second, of a few thousand traffic stops I have made, I would guess maybe around 20 or so are police (and that is high compared to most people on this board...I work in an area a lot of people visit)....compared to people from other sectors that I run into much more....so its not like every car zipping down the road is driven by a police.

Third, When Im getting my butt handed to me on the side of the road a civilian may or may not stop....but I KNOW an off duty LEO will stop and help me out.

We arent talking about giving warnings to police on Rapes and murders....but if I run into a police going a bit over the speed limit, I have ZERO moral issues with sending them on their way with a hand shake....same as I have ZERO moral issues sending a 19 year old marketing major off with a warning.

Stewie
03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Just wondering,

NOT AGAIN!

Use the search function, hell last thread about this same thing was like 20 pages long!

VP1
03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Check it out:

First, I give warnings to Non-Leos, I give warnings to LEOs, I give warnings to Nurses etc etc....I have given a warning to somebody from EVERY sector of society, so its not like just police are getting off with breaks.

Second, of a few thousand traffic stops I have made, I would guess maybe around 20 or so are police (and that is high compared to most people on this board...I work in an area a lot of people visit)....compared to people from other sectors that I run into much more....so its not like every car zipping down the road is driven by a police.

Third, When Im getting my butt handed to me on the side of the road a civilian may or may not stop....but I KNOW an off duty LEO will stop and help me out.

We arent talking about giving warnings to police on Rapes and murders....but if I run into a police going a bit over the speed limit, I have ZERO moral issues with sending them on their way with a hand shake....same as I have ZERO moral issues sending a 19 year old marketing major off with a warning.

Thank you for the well thought out answer.
to the last poster- I got my answer and this thread can be closed if a mod would like to.

Chris116
04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Its something called "Professional Courtesy" something you apparemtly don't know about.

VP1
04-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Its something called "Professional Courtesy" something you apparemtly don't know about.
Thanks Captain Obvious

VSPClem
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM

I think he has been caught up on it....earlier last month. This one ought to die out.

t150vsuptpr
04-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Thank you for the well thought out answer.
to the last poster- I got my answer and this thread can be closed if a mod would like to.

Just 'cause you started a thread doesn't make you the one to be calling it quits. :rolleyes:

tjt121
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Cops don't write other cops! Plain and simple... I am a police officer in Upstate New York and I have never and will never write a ticket to a police officer. I have stopped a lot of cops and it can get annoying, but that is just the way it is. In fact, in our Police Academy, an Instructor told us flat out that you do not write other cops. However, I do not condone reckless driving and disregard for the vehicle and traffic law. Cops are not exempt to the law and I recognize that in my private and professional life, but there is a professional courtesy in the brotherhood. Crimes are crimes and dirty cops should be dealt with! I agree whole-heartedly with that, but a traffic infraction is simply that, a traffic infraction. Just my opinion.

jeffIL
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Cops don't write other cops! Plain and simple... I am a police officer in Upstate New York and I have never and will never write a ticket to a police officer. I have stopped a lot of cops and it can get annoying, but that is just the way it is. In fact, in our Police Academy, an Instructor told us flat out that you do not write other cops. However, I do not condone reckless driving and disregard for the vehicle and traffic law. Cops are not exempt to the law and I recognize that in my private and professional life, but there is a professional courtesy in the brotherhood. Crimes are crimes and dirty cops should be dealt with! I agree whole-heartedly with that, but a traffic infraction is simply that, a traffic infraction. Just my opinion.

As has been pointed out many, many times on here and other boards, whatever you do is your business. Do you really want to make blanket statements like that on a public bulletin board though? If you don't write cops, don't, but you don't need to advertise it to everyone.

t150vsuptpr
04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Just to use this post as an example, no flaming, nothing personal. It is what it is.

:D ... Well, I see that the attitude of immunity has even seaped into the very depths of some academies then. They teach you to pay lip service to the law. Is there no sense of accountability being taught? How do you teach accountability on one hand while preaching unaccountability on the other? Are they afraid that other departments and officers will actually ignore pleas for backup over a simple traffic infraction sometime in the past? Are they really of the opinion that the recruits now a days are that small minded? What is it that they are really trying to teach?

Conformity with expectations is not what upsets people. The public expects a ticket is in order when they get stopped at 15 over. A LEO who feels bound by law scarcely get's upset at an onduty officer if he "lets it get away from him" on vacation and get's stopped at 15 over and get's a ticket. Like the public, it falls within his expectations. (Likely as not, he is upset with himself because his "letting it get away from him" violated his own set of exopectation he has of himself.)
Violation of expectations is what upsets people. A LEO taught that "cops never write cops" is going to feel a great deal of anger towards a man who stops him and writes him at 15 over. It's not the fault of the on duty who writes it, it's that the off duty LEO held an unreasonable expectation (and we'll maybe even read about it here or over on some other internet site like cwc, etc.) that such a stop would follow his own personal rules.

Those same traffic laws that so many describe as petty infractions cost good hard working people the ability to work or drive when it results in high insurance and suspended licenses. Why not instead of teaching new recruits that cops never write cops (thus instilling an unreasoned expectation in them), they just teach the nubees to observe and obey the laws and thus make it a non-issue? Like "teach them to be part of a solution".

Again, as in the past .... do not take my post as an attempt to get anyone reading this to write a LEO, it's your decision and yours alone, but blanket statements like the poster opened with only lead to unreasonable blanket expectations and a distorted view of "real cops" by the public. There are a great deal of real cops out there in areas with different attitudes, real cops who will most certainly "bust your butt with a stroke of the pen", be you cop or not. If it happens, just "man up" and sign and go on with life.

After all, it's just an infraction.

:)

Sgt. Geezer
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Just to use this post as an example, no flaming, nothing personal. It is what it is.

:D ... Well, I see that the attitude of immunity has even seaped into the very depths of some academies then. They teach you to pay lip service to the law. Is there no sense of accountability being taught? How do you teach accountability on one hand while preaching unaccountability on the other? Are they afraid that other departments and officers will actually ignore pleas for backup over a simple traffic infraction sometime in the past? Are they really of the opinion that the recruits now a days are that small minded? What is it that they are really trying to teach?

Those same traffic laws that so many describe as petty infractions cost good hard working people the ability to work or drive when it results in high insurance and suspended licenses. Why not instead of teaching new recruits that cops never write cops (thus instilling an unreasoned expectation in them), they just teach the nubees to observe and obey the laws and thus make it a non-issue? Like "teach them to be part of a solution".

Again, as in the past .... do not take my post as an attempt to get anyone reading this to write a LEO, it's your decision and yours alone, but blanket statements like the poster opened with only lead to unreasonable blanket expectations and a distorted view of "real cops" by the public. There are a great deal of real cops out there in areas with different attitudes, real cops who will most certainly "bust your butt with a stroke of the pen", be you cop or not. If it happens, just "man up" and sign and go on with life.

After all, it's just an infraction.

One instructor does not make the world go round and I doubt if your opinion is that of the majority.

Some of us swore an oath .... some joined the boys club..... some did a mix of both.

It is the best fraternal organization I've ever been exposed too. Treat the brothers as you wish.

But I sorta doubt that if you made a judgement error and got stopped ... that you'd insist on receiving a coupon.

Raiden
04-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Cops don't write other cops! Plain and simple...
but a traffic infraction is simply that, a traffic infraction. Just my opinion.

I agree with you to a point. . .however. . .that's fine and dandy until he/she kills, hurts or maims someone because they were speeding(off duty).

2Adam29
04-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with you to a point. . .however. . .that's fine and dandy until he/she kills, hurts or maims someone because they were speeding(off duty).

Well THEN you do something. However, if a cop sees an off-duty driving absolutely wrecklessly without good reason, I would see justification in ticketing them. At the very least give them a stern talking-to.

t150vsuptpr
04-08-2007, 05:44 AM
One instructor does not make the world go round and I doubt if your opinion is that of the majority.I've read too many stories to believe it's just one and I'm not so sure you understand my opinion.
Some of us swore an oath .... some joined the boys club..... some did a mix of both. If they wear a badge, they swore it.
It is the best fraternal organization I've ever been exposed too. Treat the brothers as you wish.I agree with the first part, please be careful about making assumptions in regards to the latter.
But I sorta doubt that if you made a judgement error and got stopped ... that you'd insist on receiving a coupon. Think what you want, but I ain't shoving a badge in a man's face if and/or when I ever get stopped for a few miles over. He'll make his own decision and I'll just thank him politely and pay it if it's issued. You'll never see me go on an internet web site and bad mouth him that's just doing his job, 'cause if I was doing what I ought to have been, his job wouldn't involve me.

Been there before. It ain't personal, and it ain't no big deal.

Dinosaur32
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Why would anyone, LEO or not, thank any officer for giving him/her a ticket? I wouldn't say anything to get the officer p*ssed off, but I certainly wouldn't thank him/her.

04-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Why would anyone, LEO or not, thank any officer for giving him/her a ticket? I wouldn't say anything to get the officer p*ssed off, but I certainly wouldn't thank him/her.

I get thanked 6 of 10 stops no matter if I issued a warning or citation with a fine....Although I can say I have never got thanked for arresting someone, at least by the arrestee.

Quite honestly if you stop someone and treat them like a person. Start with simple greeting(Good morning sir)( I say that to EVERYONE from the 60 year old priest to joe ****bag, to the 17 year old with his G-Unit hat sideways), tell them why you stopped them immediatly after that, request their Lic. and reg., then explain the violation more throughly if I need to, advise them to remain in their vehicle, come back with warning or ticket, explain why you wrote them and explain their options (pay or appeal).

Most violations are minor, and people get what they deserve. Being reasonable yourself and giving people simple information as to what is going on and not an *** will get you thank you's. Not that I really care about that but that does measure how that even when issuing someone a ticket and possibly raising their insurance rates for 5 years they understand why they got the ticket and respect you for doing your job. Because by the time they say thank you they too understand that they are taking that ticket with them and there is nothing at that point and time that is going to change that, so they are saying thank you because they want to and not to get out of the ticket.

Now with what I just said, I do not look at stops as routine and I am huge on officer safety and treating people as they should be treated. If you do something stupid or are an *** you will get everything you deserve.

Sgt. Geezer
04-08-2007, 12:46 PM
That is the technique I have taught. When you stop someone they are thinking... Who are you and why did you stop me?
You take all that away immediately with the presentation that you describe.

It significantly reduces your number of trials as well and yes ...when treated with an appropriate degree of respect people drive away recognizing they were in the wrong and you were doing a job.

208---- Excellent post.

Mirrain
04-08-2007, 12:48 PM
This is all providing hypothetically there is a problem. Of the very few LEO's I've stopped for speeding (and it wasn't that high) only 1 have pasted their badge to the window....which I think lacks some tact.

It's not like we have off-duty officers running around out there running down old ladies on the street. I don't write cops but I don't write firemen/women and paramedics either. In fact I cut a lot of people breaks for various reasons and no one can really argue discretion.

Everything within reason but most coppers have pretty good judgement so maybe I'm the exception but I don't see it being a problem in the first place or cutting a break.

VA Dutch
04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
It never happened to me, but a sergeant of mine once stopped an off-duty NYPD cop (shortly after the 9-11-01 attacks) for doing 78 mph in a 65 zone. What was bizarre is that he passed by him in a fully marked sheriff's vehicle! As he walked up to the off-duty cop's car, the driver had his badge pressed against the still-closed window and just sat there looking straight ahead.

While this seemed disrespectful (at least by the way the story was told to me), the good sergeant still allowed Mr. NYC to proceed with a verbal warning and an admonition that he may not get the same courtesty extended to him by a state trooper if he were stopped further down the highway. Whether or not the 9-11 thing had anything to do with the NYPD officer's demeanor, I don't know; but that event certainly affected many people in many different ways.

I was stopped off-duty for a minor traffic infraction by an officer in an adjacent county. I was still shaking like a leaf on a tree, was very apologetic, nervous and "Yes sir - no sir" the whole time; especially because I was on "his turf" and strived to treat him with the respect that he deserved for doing his job. After looking at my badge and ID, he cautioned me that I was in my personal car and "not in a police-package vehicle" tonight and that he wanted me to get home safely so I could be on duty the next morning in my own county.

Professional courtesy exists, no doubt about it. But there is a huge chasm between hoping you will get it and demanding it. You may also run into the proverbial guy who 'writes his own mother' for 5 mph over.

-----------------------------

"Yep, but that's how I roll."

Sgt. Geezer
04-08-2007, 01:09 PM
"Yep, but that's how I roll."
You reap what ye sow.

Trooper4985
04-08-2007, 02:17 PM

I have people say thank you all the time to me... I just arrested someone for DWI last night and when I TOTed him to his friend he said thank you and appologized for wasting the last hour of my time. Apparently there are still some people with manners and respect for authority figures out there.

It significantly reduces your number of trials.

That's a good thing? My base pay is pretty damn good compared to what I see some guy on here making but I will take all the V&T Court OT I can get. 3 Hours of OT just for putting on my uniform when I'm supposed to be off. :D

tjt121
04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Definitely good points, guys...I would have to say that I personally would have a very tough time writing an off-duty cop. I am new to Officer.com, but from the sounds of things, this topic has been done to death. Sorry if I kept it going. Every police officer out there is different and professional courtesy is there if you wish to use it. I will say that off-duty guys that are disrespectful really boil me - It's only happened once in a ton of stops. That really burned me - If I get stopped, I am extremely polite and respectful, but that's just me.

t150vsuptpr
04-08-2007, 07:44 PM

Sorry that such is your experience.

One who can't appreciate a man doing his job in a cool and professional manner while showing respect, even if it is just issuing a summons, has something left to learn I think.

I end every violator contact ... whether it involves a warning or a written summons ... with a simple wish for their safe journey and probably 80% or more say at least "Thank You".
Some go further, perhaps with a "You be careful too" or "Watch your back out there" or such directed my way.
Quite a few even offer a hand shake in the bargain, which I politely and diplomatically refrain from.

"You can be tough as nails and still be a gentleman."

(It's not that I claim to always be tough as nails ...
... but I do try to at least be gentlemanly about it, if they'll allow as much.)

Take care .......... :)

djack16
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Check it out:

VSP, I think that's fine. If a person is pulled over who one believes is going to cease their bad behavior and it's not that serious an offense it may be ok to let the person go with a warning. The beef I have is with officers who will treat specially other officers who have done something that is beyond a simple warning.

So the problem that most of the public has I'm sure is with officers who do not equally enforce the law on their collegues simply by the driver being an officer. People are going to take issue with that because it is unfair as well as probably enabling a bad driver. A stop should be judged on it's merits, not on a shiny badge.

Dinosaur32
04-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I can appreciate any person performing a job in a professional manner. So what. Doesn't mean I have to thank him for citing me. I treat every member of the public I come in cantact with in a courteous professional manner. I have no expectation of being thanked for telling someone something I know the person does not want to hear.

t150vsuptpr
04-09-2007, 03:43 AM
I can appreciate any person performing a job in a professional manner. So what. Doesn't mean I have to thank him for citing me. I treat every member of the public I come in cantact with in a courteous professional manner. I have no expectation of being thanked for telling someone something I know the person does not want to hear.
You asked
Why would anyone, LEO or not, thank any officer for giving him/her a ticket? I wouldn't say anything to get the officer p*ssed off, but I certainly wouldn't thank him/her. That implies that such is not your experience, else you'ld know just how normal it is. If it is outside of your experience, it is likely you have no appreciation for it.

No one said you had to thank an officer for a ticket, or that you should expect a thanks if you are the issuing officer.

And again, as I stated earlier, I am sorry that such is your experience.

Trooper4985
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Just read you profile... that explains a lot... Suffolk/Nassau is it's own seperate world down there.

pujolsfan146
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I have been thanked countless times on traffic citations and various arrests and I have also been cursed countless times for doing my job.

Dinosaur32
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Trooper4985.......I deal with NYC residents all day long. Many of them would not thank their mothers for feeding them. I expect all my officers to treat everyone politely, with courtesy and respect. Where do you go if you start at sc*mbag? I also expect that no officer will react improperly to any comment from the citizenry.

irishdep
04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
First of all, in my opinion, cops don't give cops tickets unless they ABSOLUTELY DESERVE ONE basic speeding or minor infractions NO WAY. It's get on your way and stay safe. Police officers are allowed to use their discretion and if they happen to use it on a fellow LEO for what ever reason then so be it, it's their decision. I am also a firm believer that not everyone needs to go to jail and not everybody needs a ticket. Just my opinion. Now with regards to the people thanking you for a ticket, happens all the time. Doesn't mean that they actually mean it it's just the words they used instead of, you f#$% A#$%%^&.
It's OK that every job/profession around gets perks but as soon as someone hears that a cop didn't get a ticket for speeding hold on to your ***** because it's on now. If your anti LEO or just have a chip on your shoulder because you've been wronged, then log off and stay off. Does this make sense? Am I ranting? :rolleyes:

itnstalln
04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
The beef I have is with officers who will treat specially other officers who have done something that is beyond a simple warning.

Leaving a bar at closing once I watched a police officer, who hadn't even had a job for a month, come out wasted and get in his car and say "it's alright, I've got a badge" when someone objected. We were behind him for about 30 seconds once out on the road and he ran the first red light he came to. We weren't going that way so I don't know what happened beyond that. I'd guess that many people would have a major problem with that, I'd bet some officers would cite and I'd also bet there would be some who wouldn't. To me it seems like bad form to be acting like that. Gives other cops a bad reputation too.

t150vsuptpr
04-10-2007, 04:53 AM
First of all, in my opinion, cops don't give cops tickets unless they ABSOLUTELY DESERVE ONE basic speeding or minor infractions NO WAY. It's get on your way and stay safe. Police officers are allowed to use their discretion and if they happen to use it on a fellow LEO for what ever reason then so be it, it's their decision. I am also a firm believer that not everyone needs to go to jail and not everybody needs a ticket. Just my opinion. Now with regards to the people thanking you for a ticket, happens all the time. Doesn't mean that they actually mean it it's just the words they used instead of, you f#$% A#$%%^&.
It's OK that every job/profession around gets perks but as soon as someone hears that a cop didn't get a ticket for speeding hold on to your ***** because it's on now. If your anti LEO or just have a chip on your shoulder because you've been wronged, then log off and stay off. Does this make sense? Am I ranting? :rolleyes:There is one part that confuses me in reguards to whatever point you are attempting to make. You state first that "cops don't give cops tickets", then in the next sentence, you state " it's their decision" when talking about the application of discretion. What are you saying? Maybe you apply a different meaning to the word "discretion" than the rest of the English speaking world?

I don't know if it makes sense or if your are ranting or not. This may be an example of one of your most lucid moments for all I know about you.

I only know that it's "your opinion". :D

irishdep
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
There is one part that confuses me in reguards to whatever point you are attempting to make. You state first that "cops don't give cops tickets", then in the next sentence, you state " it's their decision" when talking about the application of discretion. What are you saying? Maybe you apply a different meaning to the word "discretion" than the rest of the English speaking world?

I don't know if it makes sense or if your are ranting or not. This may be an example of one of your most lucid moments for all I know about you.

I only know that it's "your opinion". :D
dis-cre-tion noun-wise conduct and management, freedom to decide something, being discreet.
Cops have the freedom to decide if they want to give another cop a ticket.
I'm pretty sure I used the word correctly. That may very well have been one of my most lucid moments lol! :D :D

Chiller
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
My theory

Yes I speed from time to timeexcept in VA :D . If I get pulled over and get a ticket,I really don't care as it's my fault anyways.

Always courteous though and go from there. I have no say if they will write me so why worry about it or get bent out of shape about it.

t150vsuptpr
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
dis-cre-tion noun-wise conduct and management, freedom to decide something, being discreet.
Cops have the freedom to decide if they want to give another cop a ticket.
I'm pretty sure I used the word correctly. That may very well have been one of my most lucid moments lol! :D :D

Perhaps I misunderstood, I took
Police officers are allowed to use their discretion and if they happen to use it on a fellow LEO for what ever reason then so be it, it's their decision. to mean always letting them go simply because they are cops, which is OK if such is their mindset. I didn't take it to mean that you were allowing that they may also chose to write, after careful thought, thus still practicing discretion. I would agree, it is the decision of the on duty making the stop, and it should be respected if soundly based.

Looking back, perhaps it was the part where you said
cops don't give cops tickets that colored it so as to hide your meaning for me.

If I did so misunderstand, I appologize.

The other parts of that post were intended to be in jest, just poking a little fun your way to keep it light hearted. I trust that it was taken as such.

tspinaker
04-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I will say that you have to look at the "spirit of the law" when making a decision and using discretion. I don't think the just because you are an LEO means you're above the law, but rather since you are an enforcer of the law you should be more subject to it. That being said I do believe in professional courtesy to an extent. The extent is both parties being professional. Most LEO's have numerous hours of emergency vehicle operation hours which in my opinion makes them better drivers. Speed limits are set in place so that people are less likely to have accidents on certain roads. If you're a LEO, you're probably less likely to have accidents due to training/experience. So normally I choose to use professional courtesy, unless you're a DICK.

irishdep
04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood, I took to mean always letting them go simply because they are cops, which is OK if such is their mindset. I didn't take it to mean that you were allowing that they may also chose to write, after careful thought, thus still practicing discretion. I would agree, it is the decision of the on duty making the stop, and it should be respected if soundly based.

Looking back, perhaps it was the part where you said that colored it so as to hide your meaning for me.

If I did so misunderstand, I appologize.

The other parts of that post were intended to be in jest, just poking a little fun your way to keep it light hearted. I trust that it was taken as such.

It was, and no need for an apology because this forum is to express everyones thoughts and opinions, and from what you post, yours are some of the ones I respect the most. STAY SAFE!

ofcpete
04-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Its called professional courtesy...Just like a lawyer would give a fellow lawyer a discount to represent them in court...Service Industry(waiters/waitresses/restaurant workers) taking care of each other...There are officers that care less about stopping a police officer and will write them tickets and even DUI'S when no accident is involved...But just to let you know Police Officers don't write tickets to all motorists they stop..If they did every city,county,state Police Department would have additional officers, better and newer equipment due to all the monies coming in.....Pete in Chicago

1042 Trooper
04-11-2007, 10:42 AM
DOES THIS NEVER END!

:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

Dinosaur32
04-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! :)

aftermath
04-12-2007, 12:37 AM
It extends beyond cops writing other cops (PC I mean). When I was a Fire Fighter, I was pulled over by an Illinois State Trooper. We BS'd for about 5 and then he found out I was FF. The officer said and I quote, "Oh, FF huh? Might need you guys later so be safe and slow down." No ticket, no warning for 15 over on I-80. PC goes along way, as does not being a dick. Oh, and about the drunk cop with a month on the job, his *** would be sleeping it off in a cell.

:cool:

Big Shot
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Oh, and about the drunk cop with a month on the job, his *** would be sleeping it off in a cell.

I don't care if its the chief with all his gold stripes if he is deuce then too bad sooooo sad someone is going to jail, license is gone, and bye bye to the job.:)

pf217
07-12-2007, 06:47 AM
DOES THIS NEVER END!

:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

No kidding. I took a little hiatus from the forum and was quite disappointed to see this type of thread back.

My final word: I'd never write a cop (except for the most EXTREME situations) and I wouldn't back up any of you in a thumb-war if you would write a cop.

SoCalFed
07-12-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/story/images/chap05_energizer_bunny.jpg

There isn't much more I can add to this thread....

icecold#1
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm in the law enforcement field but not a sworn officer yet. I would not give a fellow officer a ticket, it is common courtesy not to. The only people officers have is each other and if you can't count on your own kind who can you count on.

h8tweekers
07-13-2007, 05:14 AM
I don't cite other officers for the same reason I don't cite everyone I stop, because I have the authority of discretion. A patrol officer is in a patrol car 20+ hours a week and drive fast to lower their response time. It is hard to remember to turn that line of thinking off when you go home at night.

sfnmcop
07-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, I am a cop and I got a ticket for speeding in Salina, Kansas two weeks ago. Apparently, "professional courtesy" is not as common as you may think.

LuvedMyMotor
07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
never mind...wrong thread.

Mannix
07-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Just wondering,

Threads like these are only started to give that other website something to cut and paste. Don't fall for it.

blehhh
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm bored, was enraged off and on by both sides of the argument, and am thoroughly a civilian. Grew up in Detroit - both Delray and Southwest areas. Fun place. Seen at least two cars get stolen in broad daylight on Vernor. Couldn't care less, it's so damned common. Invest in insurance.

That said, you've got to realize - I'm supposed to have a vested interest in actively hating police here. Detroit cops are smart, other cities have frighteningly respectable police forces, and the only way to make a profit being a crook is to rob the broke and weak or not bother at all.

And I don't.

Look, you want to complain about friggin' traffic tickets? Fine. I drove for a living. Most people are pretty dangerous on the road just doing the speed limit. Now I work in a store. And most people are jerks, uninterested, uneducated, or far too comfortable with life.

From this I gather that if you've gotten out of a ticket, you're actually kinda lucky. You probably deserved it. My g/f did - 90 in a 55. They were still nice to her with the cite.

Look, kids - anywhere you work, live, or interact - you have to cut slack. Period. It's essential to the system functioning. I get nailed by an officer driving a work vehicle - well - he expects me to play by the rules while I get paid. Boss/Owner/Company ought to and is mostly liable to pay citations for anything I do on the clock - and that's more than fair - it regulates them.

An officer does 10 over when everyone else does 9 - same break you'd probably get - don't hassle the poor guy worrying about you shooting him, running off, and nailing someone - and hey...maybe you get a big bad break too.

Simple thing - you do things against the flow...laws, people, common sense - and you gamble on whether or not it works in your favor. Cop, idiot, civilian, wage-slave.

I seriously doubt police officers get free rein - it's like me in my jobs - screw up like I'd raise hell/arrest/kick *** for - and you're on your own. Something simple - well, I'd let you and everyone else go. Life happens.

So lay off the big evil pigs. Certainly a lot of brotherhood, but not nearly as much favoritism as you'd expect. They have jobs that clash with what you want.

Be a smarter criminal. Leave them alone. And for Chrissakes....learn to drive. I know a lot of cops I've seen that can. The rest of you - market basket of "Will I die today?"

Enough.

blehhh
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
And I'd say an employee discount applies when you aren't endangering and you just might be endangered tomorrow.

PPB8881
07-18-2007, 12:38 AM
I bet i know where that guy came from Al'S house of bull*****.:mad:

mdrdep
07-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Its called professional courtesy...Just like a lawyer would give a fellow lawyer a discount to represent them in court...Service Industry(waiters/waitresses/restaurant workers) taking care of each other...There are officers that care less about stopping a police officer and will write them tickets and even DUI'S when no accident is involved...But just to let you know Police Officers don't write tickets to all motorists they stop..If they did every city,county,state Police Department would have additional officers, better and newer equipment due to all the monies coming in.....Pete in Chicago

Professional courtesy sums it up for me. After all, it's the same reason sharks don't eat lawyers at the beach.....:)

nebraska_deputy
07-18-2007, 05:16 AM
I got pulled over for speeding the other evening by a Trooper. I wasn't in my troop area and didn't know the Troop, he asked if I knew why I was being pulled over and I told him yes. I was speeding. I told him I deserve the ticket to go ahead and write me. The Trooper said I like your honesty, but "I'm not going to write you. All I'm giving you is a warning" At that time the Trooper asked where I was going and we got talking about police stuff. The Trooper told me he had a ride along and for the most part he was only writing warnings tonight. The Trooper issued me a written warning and I was sent on my way.

I for one I have never written another officer for something like speeding. But, there are just some things beyond my control that who knows I may have to write another officer for some day. If I'm pulled over for something, I don't expect that officer to let me go just because I'm an officer. If he/she choose too then that's fine, it's called officers discretion. If I get a ticket I will pay it just like anyone else and go on with me day.

I have talked with a couple friends who work for a large County (Sarpy) who tell me that every now and then State Troopers will pull them over in their marked cars while they are en route to calls. In one instance the Trooper threaten to write a Deputy en route to a call a citation for speeding. The Deputy told the Trooper I don't have time for this and if that's the case then I'm going to arrest you for obstructing an officer. From what the Deputy told me the stop ended with the Deputy telling the Trooper to contact his LT.

Chris116
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Cops don't write other cops because we're all brothers regardless of state or agency type. Just a bit of information you maybe don't know. Where Im a PO, cops don't write nurses either---why? - Never know when we might need one.

AJG8
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
i'm going to ticket everyone

rubyrose
08-02-2009, 01:54 AM
I managed to ignore this thread when it was first posted...forgive me for extending its length, but, well, I gotta put in my 2 cents.

Just wondering,

VP1 -- I am not a cop but even I find your OP offensive.

You didn't ask a simple question. You asked a LOADED question with all sorts of built-in assumptions.

1) That a cop choosing not to write another cop for SPEEDING means that the speeding officer is therefore "above the law." Choosing not to ARREST a cop when there is ample evidence of a crime committed -- THAT's making a cop "above the law."

2) "Why do you think you can break [laws] and get away with it?" As has been said repeatedly by other officers, they let ordinary folks off with a warning as well. Are those who just got a warning "getting away with breaking the law"? Even if it's YOU?

3) "Pretty hypocritical if you ask me." Well, nobody asked you. Not to mention, you have indicated from the start that you have already made up your mind on the subject & so what would be the point of ANYONE answering you?

Bigislander

In what universe? What is "courteous" about making a blanket statement about cops being "hypocritical"?

A courteous question would be:

"I understand that LEOs often will not ticket other cops for speeding and other traffic violations. I'd appreciate it if someone would explain to me the reasoning behind that."

As has already been noted: a quick search would have yielded many pages of answers. What is courteous about not doing that first? Ok, so you aren't sure what search terms would be used. How about this:

"I understand that LEOs often will not ticket other cops for speeding and other traffic violations. I would like to understand the reasoning behind that.

I have searched through the forums already using [search terms x, y, z - whatever] and haven't found any satisfactory answers that way. Are there better search terms I could use?"

Neither versions above make any assumptions or judgments. Both versions are courteous and respectful. But then, you don't appear to understand what those terms mean. That is, you are incapable of translating their definition into actions.

Tee.Elle.
08-02-2009, 09:03 AM
.................................................. ......................

vvincelli
08-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh noes. Why did you open Pandora's Box?

It took so damn long to seal it up the first time...

- V

GoldBadge
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I did a poll on this a while back.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115223

Tye516
08-04-2009, 11:51 PM
IDK if this has been addressed because I skipped to the last page of this thread but..

Even if the Police Officer cites the speeding Police Officer.. wouldn't the ticket most likely be thrown out by the Judge? I would think that someone has anyone heard of this happening

towncop
08-05-2009, 12:35 AM
IDK if this has been addressed because I skipped to the last page of this thread but..

Even if the Police Officer cites the speeding Police Officer.. wouldn't the ticket most likely be thrown out by the Judge? I would think that someone has anyone heard of this happening
Negative. Not an automatic.

LA DEP
08-05-2009, 12:38 AM

At least here in LA, you would have 3 chances to get a valid cite tossed by the judge just because you were the po-po....

1) Slim
2) Fat
3) None

And even ASKING the judge to toss it would probably result in your having a intimate chat with IA.

LA DEP
08-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh noes. Why did you open Pandora's Box?

It took so damn long to seal it up the first time...

- V

***Shakes head in disgust***

Yeah, he has no idea how long it took us to find the White Buffalo that is required during the sacrifice in order to reseal the Box......:eek:

katzeyze
08-05-2009, 03:45 AM
*walks around with can of buffalo bait* Here buffalo, buffalo, buffalo!!!!!!

mikeseniorproj
08-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Is it rare to have CHP ticket a city cop? One of the cops I did a ride-a-long with said he got one while driving from home to the station one morning.(in his home car). I guess with some highway patrol it might be like a "I don't speed in your city" type of mentality?

Another thing, my sister bought a truck that had a sheriff's association sticker on it, and it's pretty visible-it's basically a star like a sheriff's badge, and she has gotten out of 4 or 5 tickets since getting it. She's also a good looking college student, so that may also be a factor there. Anyway, She can't get in trouble for the sticker can she? And would a sticker like that really influence you guys even if no badges are flashed or anything?

mavriktu
08-05-2009, 05:04 AM
IT MUST BE EASTER,THE DEAD HAVE RISEN AGAIN:rolleyes:

willbird
08-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm bored, was enraged off and on by both sides of the argument, and am thoroughly a civilian. Grew up in Detroit - both Delray and Southwest areas. Fun place. Seen at least two cars get stolen in broad daylight on Vernor. Couldn't care less, it's so damned common. Invest in insurance.

That said, you've got to realize - I'm supposed to have a vested interest in actively hating police here. Detroit cops are smart, other cities have frighteningly respectable police forces, and the only way to make a profit being a crook is to rob the broke and weak or not bother at all.

And I don't.

Look, you want to complain about friggin' traffic tickets? Fine. I drove for a living. Most people are pretty dangerous on the road just doing the speed limit. Now I work in a store. And most people are jerks, uninterested, uneducated, or far too comfortable with life.

From this I gather that if you've gotten out of a ticket, you're actually kinda lucky. You probably deserved it. My g/f did - 90 in a 55. They were still nice to her with the cite.

Look, kids - anywhere you work, live, or interact - you have to cut slack. Period. It's essential to the system functioning. I get nailed by an officer driving a work vehicle - well - he expects me to play by the rules while I get paid. Boss/Owner/Company ought to and is mostly liable to pay citations for anything I do on the clock - and that's more than fair - it regulates them.

An officer does 10 over when everyone else does 9 - same break you'd probably get - don't hassle the poor guy worrying about you shooting him, running off, and nailing someone - and hey...maybe you get a big bad break too.

Simple thing - you do things against the flow...laws, people, common sense - and you gamble on whether or not it works in your favor. Cop, idiot, civilian, wage-slave.

I seriously doubt police officers get free rein - it's like me in my jobs - screw up like I'd raise hell/arrest/kick *** for - and you're on your own. Something simple - well, I'd let you and everyone else go. Life happens.

So lay off the big evil pigs. Certainly a lot of brotherhood, but not nearly as much favoritism as you'd expect. They have jobs that clash with what you want.

Be a smarter criminal. Leave them alone. And for Chrissakes....learn to drive. I know a lot of cops I've seen that can. The rest of you - market basket of "Will I die today?"

Enough.

There ARE some extreme cases that are simply WRONG. Back a few years the Toledo, OH Blade newspaper got hold if the IA files under Ohio's open records laws. What they published was quite interesting. One case I knew of personally..........

A friend of mine sees a car sitting across two lanes of RT 2 near Toledo Express Airport (down where the old township school was for the locals on the board) the driver is passed out drunk, friend calls the cops.

Turns out the guy is a toledo city cop..............he gets a ride home with no charges filed in court at all...........he does get some at work discipline.

C'mon, that is not kosher, no way no how...........passed out drunk in the middle of a 4 lane highway 8pm at night ??

They also had some GOOD cases in there as well, where an OSHP officer training a new probationee officer noticed the guy was drunk when he came to work, he arrested him for DUI.

Bill

k91king3
08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
So this means the cop who stopped me the other night let me go because I showed him my police ID???

I thought it was because I'm pretty. :(

You mean being good looking is not enough.... :eek: Damn!! Guess I'll have to start showing my Police ID too then. :D

longhunter09
08-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Pulled a guy over yesterday for speeding. He was very respectful and agreed with me when I said I was going to issue a summons due to his excessive speed. While writing the summons, I noticed this gentleman had the same last name as a Sheriff's Deputy that I went through Basic with from another County. Didn't think much of it, but after issuing the summons, I casually asked him if he had any family in LE. Sure enough, his father was the same Deputy, and this gentleman was an Auxilary Deputy at the same Dept. I asked him why he didn't speak up when I initially talked to him, and he stated that he didn't want to use his father's profession or his own status as a Reserve LEO just to get out of a ticket. He said that he knew he broke the law, and wanted to accept responsibility for his actions. Needless to say, I was highly impressed. If I had known who he was, I would have given him a warning, but the fact that he accepted responsibility for his actions, and didn't use his position to get out of the summons impressed the heck out of me. I plan on giving his old man a call and letting him know that his son showed some real integrity.

janego10
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I'd rather you tell me at the beginning of the stop that you are a cop then try to hide it in the end. Saves me from getting out my ticket book. On my citation there is a spot for place of employment so i'm going to ask anyways. Its a little frustrating after writing the whole citation, running the drivers license, then asking what they do for a living and then they tell me they are an officer and didn't want to mention it because "they're not like that." So then I go back and make it warning and they are on their way. With that time I could have gone 10-8 and got me someone else. Just saying that i'd rather know right off the bat.

Ex Army MP
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Its just like any other job.. they have perks

If you work at McDonalds..... you get free food
If you work at a bank..... you get a lower interest rate
If you work at retail store..... you get discounts
If your a cop..... you may get professional courtesy

This is bad analogy and scary coming from an LEO because your expectation is to be let go and not cited. If in another officer's discretion he can cut you a break, that's fine. But you're speaking as though it's a fait accompli that you won't get cited.

Those other examples are written policy and clearly defined. If an employee of a retail store gets a 10%, it's never a 20% discount. With respect to profession courtesy, if it's implied as you suggest, then where is the defining line? Would you let a cop go for 30, 40 or 50 over when he has his kids in the car? How about DWI?

Trust me when I tell you that cops have lost their jobs and, yes, even prosecuted for official misconduct by allowing other cops to go in situations outside their discretion.

I could totally understand when another cop is doing 15 or 20 over and a cop exercises his discretion in a situation where he may written a civilian. Heck, I have even been let go but totally don't expect it as a prosecutor. But again, don't act as though you think it comes with the badge.

Ex Army MP
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM

And hopefully that judge would be "thrown" off the bench unless he could cite some other reason for throwing it out. I'd love for a judge to put that on an official record and then later justify why he is not throwing other tickets out given to civilians.

RoadKingTrooper
08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
"White Buffalo"?

Reminds me of when the Division of Wildlife caught a friend of mine hunting Pelicans.

DOW " Why in the world are you hunting Pelicans?"

Friend "I like to eat them"

DOW "Really, what do they taste like?"

Friend "Something between a Bald Eagle and Spotted Owl":)

Nobody
08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
[I like pie.............

Se7en
08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't believe you guys have cops who actually stop other cops while driving a marked unit... I can't even imagine that.

417Lt
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I can't believe you guys have cops who actually stop other cops while driving a marked unit... I can't even imagine that.
Believe it. It doesn't just start from nothing though. Usually there is a long history of events and neither side wants to remember or admit to what their side may have done to get the feud going. Cops are adults, at least chronologically, and no adult likes to be told what to do or that they were in the wrong. Throw in a little testosterone and there you have it.

Se7en
08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Believe it. It doesn't just start from nothing though. Usually there is a long history of events and neither side wants to remember or admit to what their side may have done to get the feud going. Cops are adults, at least chronologically, and no adult likes to be told what to do or that they were in the wrong. Throw in a little testosterone and there you have it.

Well, I've never seen or heard of it happening in my parts... I can't imagine how much **** a cop would catch if he tried to pull a stunt like that..

StephDakel
08-26-2009, 09:28 PM

my exact thoughts.

for the record i've never written a cop a ticket, and i don't plan on it either. it's just not my thing. do i expect the same in return, eh....not really, but that's just me.

IIlII
08-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I was stopped just a couple hours ago. 87 in a 65 on a 3 lane highway. Came around the bend and there he was. Started to head for the shoulder before the officer did anything. I knew. Showed him my license, ID and insurance. He stated he stopped me for excessive speed, I responded in the affirmative that I understood the reason for the stop. I work two counties away. The officer asked where my place of employment was, I responded. He instructed me to have a nice night.

I'm 101% positive I was let go because I showed an ID. An ethical gray area in my opinion. But if I'm on a contact with an off duty, I like to know who I'm dealing with. It lets me know a few things. The areas I work, live & commute between, there's a higher probability for an additional weapon to be present. That's something I want to know. Odds are if I'm dealing with an off duty, I'm not going to have the same attitude coming my way as a non-LEO who thinks I'm out to ruin their day. Not all the time, but in my neck of the woods, generally speaking that's the case.

If this officer would have written me, I would have been understanding and on my way. I was caught speeding and at that point, it's out of my hands. If the officer chooses not to write me, that's on him/her. Too, the goal of traffic enforcement is to stop speeders. I drove the speed limit the rest of the way home and I'll be more conscious of my speed on that stretch of highway. Mission Accomplished.

SkepticAlways
08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm 101% positive I was let go because I showed an ID. An ethical gray area in my opinion.

What ID did you show, your police officer ID?

If it was your police officer ID, did he ask to see it?

JOEQUEENSNY
08-27-2009, 02:51 AM
hey if I get pulled over I put my keys on the hood and say "yes sir no sir" and only move when Im told...and I usually get let go ...and I dont have a badge of any sort YET -- guess what Im saying is in most situations YOU choose your fate with most LEO's ... I also think professional courtesy is well deserved

cheers

havent read this thread much besides the OP ... just wanted to give my 2 cents

1200RT
08-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Is it common in So Cal?:confused:

417Lt
08-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Our agency has a policy about identifying yourself as a PO when contacted by another. It's basically prohibited "unless it becomes necessary in the context of the contact".
:confused:What in the heck does that mean?
Of course most have figured out that by putting your gun on the dash it's going to become necessary to explain that little detail, therefore getting around the policy. As far as I know only one of my officers has tried to badge their way out of a problem, (85 in a 55). The officer asked if he needed a fishing license to go fishing tomorrow and the warden said, "Yes- if you are over 16 years old."
Yup. She was cited- as she should have been.

Central
08-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Hehe, This is why you tend to keep your drivers license in your badge I.D :D "Sorry, you were not meant to see the badge" ;)

SBSO_DISPATCHER
08-27-2009, 06:56 AM

417Lt
08-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Is it common in So Cal?:confused:
It isn't common but it will come and go. With us, the "arresting" officer's defense is that he didn't recognize the vehicle as LE. Most are green P/U trucks, slick top, and subdued LE equipment.

Deputy2B4Life
08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I got pulled over last week by an Ohio Highway Patrolman in my county.. I had just passed a vehicle and was clocked at 76 in a 55.. No excuse for my actions, but after I advised him that I was a Police Officer and I had a firearm on my side, we began to talk about weather and work.. He told me to have a nice day and said if I needed anything to look him up.. What a nice troop.. Id wouldnt write any LEO under any circumstances for speeding.. but thats just me.... This topic is retarded btw.. We shouldnt talk about this stuff on the internet...

IIlII
08-27-2009, 10:06 PM
What ID did you show, your police officer ID?

If it was your police officer ID, did he ask to see it?

Yes it was my police ID. No he did not ask to see it.

SkepticAlways
08-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Yes it was my police ID. No he did not ask to see it.

I think it's hilarious that in your earlier post you refered to that as an "ethical grey area".

Lets get real, shall we? You badged the guy looking for a favor, to get out of a ticket...plain and simple....and there is nothing grey about that.

What you did runs counter to law enforcement ideals, and does nothing to foster trust in law enforcement by the public.

And the notion that you wanted to ID yourself as some sort of courtesy to him...ridiculous.

Nobody
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I like pie.............

417Lt
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I identify myself if I'm being stopped for investigation immediately - I tell them I'm an armed LEO, where the gun is, where my credentials are, and whether I'm on or off duty at that time. After that I shut my pie hole and allow them to take the actions necessary to feel safe and comfortable for the remainder of the stop.

That's exactly what we are not allowed to do. Now if it was absolutely inevitable that the gun was going to be discovered it would be different. But we know that cops don't just reach into cars or start searching with more than their eyes without letting the driver know.
Telling the officer about your status "immediately" has more than one purpose and I'm pretty sure the old officers that wrote our department policies knew that.

DAL
08-28-2009, 01:16 PM
That's exactly what we are not allowed to do. Now if it was absolutely inevitable that the gun was going to be discovered it would be different. But we know that cops don't just reach into cars or start searching with more than their eyes without letting the driver know.
Telling the officer about your status "immediately" has more than one purpose and I'm pretty sure the old officers that wrote our department policies knew that.

Many years ago, I got stopped by an LAPD officer for a "violation." I did not identify myself immediately, but instead when the officer asked for my license and registration, I informed him that I was a police officer and the registration was in the center console along with my gun. He got me out of the car, took my gun away, patted me down and started jacking me up. Eventually, his partner came out, apologized and said that his partner did not believe that I was a police officer because I did not identify myself immediately, and next time I should just tell them immediately and they would not bother me.

Culture clash!

itnstalln
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
is that why CCW holders MUST identify themselves as such when interacting with LEO's?

Not in VA

itnstalln
08-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I was stopped just a couple hours ago. 87 in a 65 on a 3 lane highway.

I was caught speeding and at that point, it's out of my hands. If the officer chooses not to write me, that's on him/her.

Wouldn't that be reckless driving or reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor?

Nobody
08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
I like pie.............

marcusindc
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Why is this thread still here?

http://coreygilmore.com/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

SOI
08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Why is this thread still here?

http://coreygilmore.com/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

It's immortal. It'll be here long after we're in the ground.

DAL
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't that be reckless driving or reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor?

You must be in Virginia. Excessive speed is not reckless per se. In many circumstances, it may not even be dangerous. In Virginia, exceeding 80 mph is defined to be reckless driving, but is some states and on some roads the speed limit is 80 mph.

417Lt
08-29-2009, 12:09 AM
to put it bluntly, that is just a stupid policy.

And most of our new guys will agree with you. It's very easy to get around as we've seen in a couple of posts.
As DAL mentioned, there is a lot of "Culture Clash". He also described an incident involving LAPD and I have to say that the "brass pass" is definitely part of their culture. Our officers' culture is just different. By noon on 9/1 I will have contacted 100 people, all will be holding a loaded gun in their hand and most will have a handgun somewhere too. It's opening day of dove season and the thing that gets my most serious attention is when someone doesn't have a gun.
It is always entertaining when I contact an off-duty LEO in a hunting situation and they feel that burning need to ID their self. There is that brief moment of confusion when they realize there is no reason to- other than to hope for some extra consideration if a violation is found.
I'll save the good lines for when I write my book.:D

PAPD 8-2
08-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I did a poll on this a while back.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115223

Looks like that thread is pretty unanimous and I agree with not writing other cops. I have my own reasons but the sad thing is there are too many ****** bags in LE that don't see the brother hood no matter what agency you are from.

Deputy2B4Life
09-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Looks like that thread is pretty unanimous and I agree with not writing other cops. I have my own reasons but the sad thing is there are too many ****** bags in LE that don't see the brother hood no matter what agency you are from.

amen brother... unless your wasted.. Im walkin away :cool:

09-06-2009, 06:06 PM
15+ years, all on the street. Never writ one yet. Don't plan on it.

BeanCounter
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Have you guys ever pulled over a car and the passenger was a police officer, if so, how did you handle it?

DAL
09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Have you guys ever pulled over a car and the passenger was a police officer, if so, how did you handle it?

When that happens, I don't give the passenger a ticket. Very easy call. :D

HEDP
09-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Talked to a trooper who said that they all have to go to annual training and obviously drive their marked cruisers, which are take home cars for them, and other troopers (same dept.) will pull them over and ticket them on their way to that training/work for speeding.

iamacop
09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
The off-duty cop you write might be the one who stops and helps you out when you're getting your *** kicked on the side of the road... I stopped a retired Asst. Chief of a department in North Texas the other day. Besides being old and going 21 over the speed limit, I shook his hand, thanked him for his service, and wished him well.... He never asked for P.C., but I could see his shield in his wallet, and I asked..

On another note, I'm not reading all the pages, so this may have been posted within the 7 pages. You hear about the MARKED U.S. Capital Police bus that was stopped and cited in Virginia? That cop should be ashamed of himself. Talking about an *******...

nasa808
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Tisk Tisk....How some one could be such an azzhole is beyond me!