PDA

View Full Version : NYS University Police

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TheBoxer
05-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Received a canvass letter from University at Buffalo today.

Same here, but it's super competitive to get hired there.

UpstateNYPD
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Received a canvass letter from University at Buffalo today.

Me too, which is a good thing since ESF sent me an email saying that the position has been filled.

PRicci1974
05-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Let's go Buffalo

John2008
05-25-2008, 11:23 PM
I just receive a canvass letter from SUNY downstate medical center in Brooklyn, I think UP there also provides police services for the hospital too, I might send it in saying that I'm interested even tho I'm pretty much set to start the NYPD academy in july.

darkhelmet
05-25-2008, 11:58 PM
dont get your hopes up i got a canvass letter about a year ago from a few university police agencies.. they are extremely sloooooow. Most civil service jobs take forever... thats how the government works.. it makes sense really... if they take their time doing work than they wil always have something to do.. if they finish their work quickly they are afraid they wont have a job because they arent doing anything. (i dont know if that makes sense.. it did in my head)

Spec VVV
05-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Whats a Canvas letter?

UpstateNYPD
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
I just receive a canvass letter from SUNY downstate medical center in Brooklyn, I think UP there also provides police services for the hospital too, I might send it in saying that I'm interested even tho I'm pretty much set to start the NYPD academy in july.

Send it in, keep your options open. The UPD, unlike the NYPD, will pay you like a professional and treat you like a gentleman.

Chantico
05-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Anyone know how long the SUNY Academy is? I can't remember if the guy said 10 weeks or 6 months at orientation.

bxhousing
05-26-2008, 03:33 PM
There is no centralized SUNY acdemy anymore... you attend a local or regional academy. No police academy is 10 weeks in NY... that would leave you at least 350 hours shy of the minimum hours required by DCJS to be certified in NY. Plan on 5 to 6 months, depending on where you live and where you attend the academy.

10-97UPD
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Anyone know how long the SUNY Academy is? I can't remember if the guy said 10 weeks or 6 months at orientation.

If you get sent an academy....dont make any plans for about 26 weeks.

ftdtetr
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
dont get your hopes up i got a canvass letter about a year ago from a few university police agencies.. they are extremely sloooooow. Most civil service jobs take forever... thats how the government works.. it makes sense really... if they take their time doing work than they wil always have something to do.. if they finish their work quickly they are afraid they wont have a job because they arent doing anything. (i dont know if that makes sense.. it did in my head)

since the depth are small and only hire a few people a year numbers wise it can be a hard job to get although we do not make as much as scpd/Mta etc whenever the pay goes up it will be much harder

UpstateNYPD
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Got a letter from Plattsburgh, anyone else get it?

OTVFD18
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Got a letter from Plattsburgh, anyone else get it?

I got one from Brockport last week and Plattsburgh today.

UpstateNYPD
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Got a letter today from Buff State, anyone else get it?

OTVFD18
06-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Affirmative.

95mercury
06-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Yep. :) PAT next week.

95mercury
06-20-2008, 06:14 PM
On the background packet Buffalo State sent, it doesn't ask for the dates worked in the employment history section. Should I write the dates in anyways? Seems kind of odd. I don't want to annoy them by giving something they didn't ask for, though....

UpstateNYPD
06-20-2008, 07:29 PM
On the background packet Buffalo State sent, it doesn't ask for the dates worked in the employment history section. Should I write the dates in anyways? Seems kind of odd. I don't want to annoy them by giving something they didn't ask for, though....

Don't volunteer information, just give them what they ask for.

Justice01
06-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I took a civil service exam about 2 years back for the University Police. It was my first civil service exam that I have ever took and I didn't do very well on it. The uniforms of the University Police are similar to the State Police uniforms which really isn't much of a surprise seeing that they are both state police agencies. The only iff I would have with the University Police is that it may be more boring and repetitive compared to city and county police departments.

NYCTNT
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Just a FYI,

The downstate puts through very few recruits through the academy. Especially in the NYPD academy. Only 2 were in this class. Along with 10 MTA.

BklynsFinest347
06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
My next door neighbor is a University cop at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. The SUNY Police patrols the University Learning Center, the University dorms across the street, and the University Hospital. The campus is within my precinct & we interact with the SUNY Police all the time. They also have a few radios that picks up our division radio & will back us up if we have anything major within the campus area (85's, 13's, perp searches,
etc.)

ftdtetr
06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
If hired at a long island location you will 99% go to either nassau county or suffolk county police academy

If hired at a nyc location 99% you will go to the nypd academy,

if hired in westchester 99% you will go to the westchester county academy

every dept is different, different levels of activity, bigger locations tend to mean more activity and variety , some places you are it unless you ASK for outside help like a small town, other places there are overlapping jurisdictions

JackieBoy
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Where did you get this information from? Do you know how many SUNY recruits are going into the July academy?

Also, where these 12 individuals in the same company in the academy? How many people per company in the NYPD academy?

Just a FYI,

The downstate puts through very few recruits through the academy. Especially in the NYPD academy. Only 2 were in this class. Along with 10 MTA.

PTLovesMe81
06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Where did you get this information from? Do you know how many SUNY recruits are going into the July academy?

Also, where these 12 individuals in the same company in the academy? How many people per company in the NYPD academy?

There are 8 MTA recruits graduating from company # 1 in this current academy.

There are 3 SUNYPD recruits graduating from company # 14 in this current academy.

I was talking to one of the SUNY guys today when we were all at the apollo... seems like a great gig.

John2008, if you are getting canvassed from downstate suny schools then go through the academy as NYPD while you are going through the process with suny. If you get hired midprocess they may let you stay in... Once you get out of the NYPD academy you will have four more weeks of SUNY training (all their paperwork is different and crap).

JackieBoy
06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
So they each had their own companies, even though there were just 3 individuals for SUNY? So a company can be comprised of as little as 3 individuals?

There are 8 MTA recruits graduating from company # 1 in this current academy.

There are 3 SUNYPD recruits graduating from company # 14 in this current academy.

I was talking to one of the SUNY guys today when we were all at the apollo... seems like a great gig.

John2008, if you are getting canvassed from downstate suny schools then go through the academy as NYPD while you are going through the process with suny. If you get hired midprocess they may let you stay in... Once you get out of the NYPD academy you will have four more weeks of SUNY training (all their paperwork is different and crap).

NYCTNT
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
no. outside agencies are always incorporated into a regular company of nypd recruits. Those 10 mta recruits that started in the academy, started with 20 something nypd recruits in that one company. Those 2 or 3 UPD recruits are incorporated into another company full of nypd recruits.

ftdtetr
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
... Once you get out of the NYPD academy you will have four more weeks of SUNY training (all their paperwork is different and crap).

Its not just a paperwork issue New York State has standards for field training of police officers (4 week minimum) NYPD MAY be an agency that does not adhere to the state field training program , I am not sure.

John2008
06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Its not just a paperwork issue New York State has standards for field training of police officers (4 week minimum) NYPD MAY be an agency that does not adhere to the state field training program , I am not sure.

The NYPD has a "FTO" program if that's what they call it, but in reality they don't have the man power to have a real FTO program like other agencies do.

PTLovesMe81
06-24-2008, 06:34 PM

It was my understanding from my conversation with one of their new officers that this wasnt field training yet it was 4 more weeks of academy type instruction post NYPD academy and before field training.

I totally may be mistaken but thats how it sounded to me.

As far as NYPD's field training, I will update you after next week when we get out of the academy. From the little info we have been told its pretty much like 20 new guys with 20 guys from the previous class and an impact sgt who drives around and answers questions. Hopefully it will be a little better than that.

gbotj
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Suny PD's 4 week instruction is like MTAPD's 9 week course post NYPD academy. Learn rules, regulations, policies, and I think college type stuff. MTAPD's is a bit longer because they have the CT PO certification somewhere in there.

TheBoxer
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone who answered the last canvass for UB heard anything...got interviewed...did the PT?

TheBoxer
06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Does anyone here know what the mandatory retirement age is for NYSUP? 62, like other NY police agencies or is it something higher, seeing how NYSUP operates under a different set of state laws?

UpstateNYPD
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone who answered the last canvass for UB heard anything...got interviewed...did the PT?

I called UB and told them I had already passed the physical and they told me to fax them a resume along with a copy of the PT completion certificate. Other than that, I've heard nothing from them, but I have an interview with the Buff State SUNY PD next week.

TheBoxer
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I called UB and told them I had already passed the physical and they told me to fax them a resume along with a copy of the PT completion certificate. Other than that, I've heard nothing from them, but I have an interview with the Buff State SUNY PD next week.

Hmmm...same here.

ftdtetr
06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
It was my understanding from my conversation with one of their new officers that this wasnt field training yet it was 4 more weeks of academy type instruction post NYPD academy and before field training.

I totally may be mistaken but thats how it sounded to me.

As far as NYPD's field training, I will update you after next week when we get out of the academy. From the little info we have been told its pretty much like 20 new guys with 20 guys from the previous class and an impact sgt who drives around and answers questions. Hopefully it will be a little better than that.

New York State mandates a 4week min-12 week max fto program, if you go through nassau or suffolk academy that follow the state standards you have to do it as part of getting your certificate, some agencies like NYPD tend to do thier own thing, I dont know anyone who went through nypd academy who doesnt work for nypd but I can ask. Main point of field training is to see if a person has good judgement, and will actually do what they are supposed to do.

JamesM
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
When was the last canvass for UB sent to you?

TheBoxer
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
When was the last canvass for UB sent to you?

Date of the canvass was May 13 and it was due back by May 28.

NYSUPBK
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Congrats To The 3 Nysup-brooklyn Recruits Who Graduated From The Nypd Academy Today. Good Luck To The 4 Guys Starting On The 9th......

95mercury
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Any of you interview with Buff State or UB back in June? I did but wasn't selected. :mad: But they are said to be hiring at least several more each for the next round so better luck next time I hope.

UpstateNYPD
07-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Any of you interview with Buff State or UB back in June? I did but wasn't selected. :mad: But they are said to be hiring at least several more each for the next round so better luck next time I hope.

I interviewed with Buff State, they said they want to hire 6 total but only have 2 or 3 entering the academy next month.

publicsafety
07-27-2008, 01:16 PM
When Is The Next Suny Test Going To Be Offered?

UpstateNYPD
07-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Probably next year.

TheBoxer
07-27-2008, 01:57 PM

In the past, it has always been held in the end of odd numbered years. So I'd presume '09. The announcement usually appears in the fall and the exam is in late November or early December. Because the state of NY moves at the speed of molasses, you don't get the results until early in the next year (Feb. or later) at which time the new list becomes active.

Light_Guardian
07-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Did they state why you weren't selected?

95mercury
07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Did they state why you weren't selected?

Not at Buff State. I still have not received a letter from them. At UB, it was because of more qualified canidates.

Light_Guardian
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Not at Buff State. I still have not received a letter from them. At UB, it was because of more qualified canidates.

Yeah thats the problem. Sometimes they wont specify what is more qualified, but in my past experience with SUNY, that usually means people who are already LEOs.

TheBoxer
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Join the club...I've been trying both these outfits for years and getting that same form letter. :(

95mercury
07-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, makes sense to hire someone that is already certified. Saves a lot of money. Oh well, time to look out of state. Tired of winter anyways. :)

TheBoxer
07-30-2008, 11:33 AM
But what I don't get about these SUNY departments is: Why do they even bother interviewing the non-certified applicants if they have such an oversupply of certified? :confused:

Light_Guardian
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
But what I don't get about these SUNY departments is: Why do they even bother interviewing the non-certified applicants if they have such an oversupply of certified? :confused:

Thats the thing that annoys me so much. Thats why I was turned down at Albany and Buffalo. I do hope there are some schools out there who are willing to send people to the academy but I am not going to hold my breath on it.

bxhousing
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
You have got a much better chance of getting hired before being certified at downstate schools.

Light_Guardian
07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
You have got a much better chance of getting hired before being certified at downstate schools.

In that case I might consider taking the downstate examination when it is offered again in the future.

sunycop222
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Oswego has an opening as one officer is transferinfering to UB.

JackieBoy
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
I just received a canvas letter from SUNY Purchase. Anyone else?

Would any of the otj guys like to share their opinion on the hiring freeze by the governor as it affects SUNY PD.

The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that SUNY PD's hiring needs were dictated by each individual campuses / university's budget. Not the state budget. And obviously one of the biggest components affecting a university's budget is enrollment. So technically if enrollment remains robust & healthy at certain SUNY campuses, I don't see how the hiring freeze would have much of an impact if some of these campuses still have the resources to hire more officers.

NYJets44288
07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
JackieBoy, that's true definitely. At the same time though, the SUNY schools are SUNY schools because they are almost completely subsidized by state funding. Tuition makes a small dent in their budget, it's why you can get a top notch 4-year degree from Binghamton University for $80,000. The same education at non-subsidized schools will cost you $150-$200,000.

boguesm
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Here are a few links from the State Assembly web site that may be of interest to current and prospective New York State University Police Officers.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08150
If passed this bill (full text in the link above) would "provide State University Police Officers with a new twenty-five year half pay retirement benefit in
the New York State Police and Fire Retirement System."

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02176
If passed, this bill would "grant New York State University
police parity with other police officers by allowing them to laterally
transfer to other police forces or departments listed in section 58(4)
of the civil service law."---note that this bill is dated August 1, 2008

Other bills relating to NYSUP can be found here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?by=k&qs=university+police

Given the current fiscal crisis, we'll see how far these bills get.

10-97UPD
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Here are a few links from the State Assembly web site that may be of interest to current and prospective New York State University Police Officers.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08150
If passed this bill (full text in the link above) would "provide State University Police Officers with a new twenty-five year half pay retirement benefit in
the New York State Police and Fire Retirement System."

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02176
If passed, this bill would "grant New York State University
police parity with other police officers by allowing them to laterally
transfer to other police forces or departments listed in section 58(4)
of the civil service law."---note that this bill is dated August 1, 2008

Other bills relating to NYSUP can be found here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?by=k&qs=university+police

Given the current fiscal crisis, we'll see how far these bills get.

We have been going round and round with the State over these Bills for YEARS!!! Every year we are told..."this is the year" then ZIPPO...plus the fact we have been without a contract since 2005...almost 4 years. If other places go without a contract for 4 hours there is a big uproar..news coverage..ect..coming up on half a decade hearing nothing but excuses sucks.

JackieBoy
08-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Would any of the otj guys like to share their opinion on the hiring freeze by the governor as it affects SUNY PD.

Any info you can provide on "internal" discussions?

TheBoxer
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
We have been going round and round with the State over these Bills for YEARS!!! Every year we are told..."this is the year" then ZIPPO...plus the fact we have been without a contract since 2005...almost 4 years. If other places go without a contract for 4 hours there is a big uproar..news coverage..ect..coming up on half a decade hearing nothing but excuses sucks.

I read the first link with interest, particularly the paragraph titled "Justification", which contains this:

The physical deterioration and emotional stress which police officers encounter is evidence of the necessity to maintain a young and vigorous police force. As such, a service-based retirement plan (as opposed to an age-based plan) provides the ability for such officers to retire after a specified
number of years which, in turn, allows the hiring of younger individuals. This legislation recognizes the police status of New York State University Police Officers and will accomplish the goal of maintaining a younger police force.

So I'm wondering if the enactment of this bill will mean that in the future the NYSUP will also be held to the same a$inine maxiumum entry age (35) as other NY police agencies? Obviously, I"m over 35 and am affected (and frustrated) by NY State's legalizied age discrimination policy. :mad:

10-97UPD
08-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Any info you can provide on "internal" discussions?

Havent seen much of it yet...Im not sure how the PD will be affected but Im willing to bet we will find out real soon. It is a bit different that staffing a professor or a plumber...SUNY is one of the biggest money making machines in NY and it will be interesting to see how they are gonna handle hiring/firing in the system.

10-97UPD
08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I read the first link with interest, particularly the paragraph titled "Justification", which contains this:

The physical deterioration and emotional stress which police officers encounter is evidence of the necessity to maintain a young and vigorous police force. As such, a service-based retirement plan (as opposed to an age-based plan) provides the ability for such officers to retire after a specified
number of years which, in turn, allows the hiring of younger individuals. This legislation recognizes the police status of New York State University Police Officers and will accomplish the goal of maintaining a younger police force.

So I'm wondering if the enactment of this bill will mean that in the future the NYSUP will also be held to the same a$inine maxiumum entry age (35) as other NY police agencies? Obviously, I"m over 35 and am affected (and frustrated) by NY State's legalizied age discrimination policy. :mad:

The problem is that SUNY depts hire officers over the age of 35 because they know they will not lose them to another dept because of their age. Another problem is the crappy retiement that we are currently stuck with. Do you think that hiring a 45 yr old candidate who is facing a 30yr/55yoa retirement fixes the problem? I sure dont. Over time people deteriorate physically and mentally...its nature..then add on what the job does to you. A 70 yr old officer chasing around NCAA athletes is a huge liability due to age, health and dont forget about weapon retention..ect..bad bad bad scenario. What inturn ends up happening is officers are intentionally avoiding situations in order not to get hurt...that defeats the whole purpose. If we had a 20 yr retirement and hired a 40 yr old candidate...still looking at 60 to retire.. which is a little better..but not great.

gbotj
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM

I believe what they meant was that if an officer retires at 60 they will hire someone younger than the retired officer (20-59 y.o.). It does not say anything about new civil service standards, and if it was the case they would need to have a separate/new bill to change civil service law regarding university police officer entry age.

10-97UPD
08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I believe what they meant was that if an officer retires at 60 they will hire someone younger than the retired officer (20-59 y.o.). It does not say anything about new civil service standards, and if it was the case they would need to have a separate/new bill to change civil service law regarding university police officer entry age.

I could be wrong but I think that is probably gonna fall under the category with the bill that requests SUNY Officers parity to transfer "professional standards" bill...for some reason we are still seprate from the general civil service standards.

TheBoxer
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
The problem is that SUNY depts hire officers over the age of 35 because they know they will not lose them to another dept because of their age.

Precisely. If they hire me, they'll get a loyal employee who will probably stay with them for the duration of his career -- short as it might be -- whereas a 20-something has more options to switch agencies.

Over time people deteriorate physically and mentally...its nature..then add on what the job does to you. A 70 yr old officer chasing around NCAA athletes is a huge liability due to age, health and dont forget about weapon retention..ect..bad bad bad scenario.

OK, but what amazes an "old" guy like me at the physical agility testing is how many younger folks can't do the required number of pushups/situps. I don't mean to brag, but I finish the 1.5 run in under 12 minutes while a lot of my fellow candidates can barely do it in 15. 'Wonder what these people are going to be like after 20 years on the job? :rolleyes: Nature is tougher on some people than on others.

I do respect your opinion and I'm not trying to argue a point, but I just don't agree on this. Thanks for responding, though. :)

10-97UPD
08-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Precisely. If they hire me, they'll get a loyal employee who will probably stay with them for the duration of his career -- short as it might be -- whereas a 20-something has more options to switch agencies.

OK, but what amazes an "old" guy like me at the physical agility testing is how many younger folks can't do the required number of pushups/situps. I don't mean to brag, but I finish the 1.5 run in under 12 minutes while a lot of my fellow candidates can barely do it in 15. 'Wonder what these people are going to be like after 20 years on the job? :rolleyes: Nature is tougher on some people than on others.

I do respect your opinion and I'm not trying to argue a point, but I just don't agree on this. Thanks for responding, though. :)

It is what it is I guess...it is easier to understand having to deal with it and seeing the problems first hand. I agree that each person is different and there are many many many older candidates who SHOULD be hired..but the idea of management snagging someone for the sake of placing a warm body in a spot (regardless of age) is not right. Some officers who are in the shape I have described will tell you they are done but have no choice but to hang around cuz they dont have the time on to retire. We have the same retirement as the grounds dept..it hurts.

JackieBoy
08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Governor Paterson's plan to cut $96 million in aid for the State University of New York

yeah, real interesting to see:confused:

Havent seen much of it yet...Im not sure how the PD will be affected but Im willing to bet we will find out real soon. It is a bit different that staffing a professor or a plumber...SUNY is one of the biggest money making machines in NY and it will be interesting to see how they are gonna handle hiring/firing in the system.

TheBoxer
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Governor Paterson's plan to cut $96 million in aid for the State University of New York

yeah, real interesting to see:confused:

The front page article in today's Buffalo News made it sound like everything is on the chopping block. :( Except for aid to public schools, of course...gotta love those teachers' unions. ;)

JackieBoy
08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Has anyone else gotten a canvas letter from SUNY Purchase or any other SUNY campus recently?

Light_Guardian
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Has anyone else gotten a canvas letter from SUNY Purchase or any other SUNY campus recently?

Nope...none here:(

JackieBoy
08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey guys,

What's going on with the NYSUP union? We're in the middle of an economic slowdown & budget crisis, and NYS troopers & NYPD just got new contracts:confused:I believe NYSUP has been without a contract for over 3 years. When is it the NYSUP's turn to hit pay dirt? They need to get something settled.

The front page article in today's Buffalo News made it sound like everything is on the chopping block. :( Except for aid to public schools, of course...gotta love those teachers' unions. ;)

JackieBoy
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Where are all the otj guys? Any comments to the previous post?

Hey guys,

What's going on with the NYSUP union? We're in the middle of an economic slowdown & budget crisis, and NYS troopers & NYPD just got new contracts:confused:I believe NYSUP has been without a contract for over 3 years. When is it the NYSUP's turn to hit pay dirt? They need to get something settled.

bxhousing
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
We're all wondering the same thing!!!

I think we're all just holding our breath, hoping that when we go to binding arbitration it all works out. In the meantime the job is not competitive in salary (especially downstate) or in benefits with other police jobs and they will continue to lose good cops to other agencies. Until they fix the job it will continue to be a stepping stone police job.

JackieBoy
08-25-2008, 03:48 PM
When is it suppose to go into binding arbitration?

We're all wondering the same thing!!!

I think we're all just holding our breath, hoping that when we go to binding arbitration it all works out. In the meantime the job is not competitive in salary (especially downstate) or in benefits with other police jobs and they will continue to lose good cops to other agencies. Until they fix the job it will continue to be a stepping stone police job.

10-97UPD
08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
When is it suppose to go into binding arbitration?

Not sure if anyone even knows. Last update I heard was back in May and nothing was really set as far as dates. I havent heard anything else about the legislation stuff either. I guess we have to wait for the new session and hope the vote goes in our favor. Like mentioned above...this job is going to continue to be a stepping stone if some issues do not get cleared up..not only on the State level but on the local campus level as well. It would help the state save $$ if they made an effort retain Officers instead of spending thousands on training and watching them go to a local agency. Once they leave, thousands more are spent and the cycle repeats itself. The thing that bothers me is the fact that nobody seems to care and there is no effort made to correct the problem.

JackieBoy
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Not sure if anyone even knows. Last update I heard was back in May and nothing was really set as far as dates. I havent heard anything else about the legislation stuff either. I guess we have to wait for the new session and hope the vote goes in our favor. Like mentioned above...this job is going to continue to be a stepping stone if some issues do not get cleared up..not only on the State level but on the local campus level as well. It would help the state save $$ if they made an effort retain Officers instead of spending thousands on training and watching them go to a local agency. Once they leave, thousands more are spent and the cycle repeats itself. The thing that bothers me is the fact that nobody seems to care and there is no effort made to correct the problem.

You make a valid point. I'm not to keen on state politics, but what did you mean by "I guess we have to wait for the new session and hope the vote goes in our favor."

What is ALES/Council 82's reasoning why it's taking so long? It's going to be 4 years without a contract.

bxhousing
08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Are you kidding? We get a free calander every year from Council 82... what more do you want? We can point the finger at the state or we can point the finger at our union, but the truth is they both share the blame for our situation. No one seems committed to getting this thing done and the members are suffering for it.

It's hard to even talk about the job statewide like we are doing, because it's not even all one job. The job is so decentralized our uniforms, lousy pay, and retirement are just about the only thing we all have in common.

10-97UPD
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
You make a valid point. I'm not to keen on state politics, but what did you mean by "I guess we have to wait for the new session and hope the vote goes in our favor."

What is ALES/Council 82's reasoning why it's taking so long? It's going to be 4 years without a contract.

When the State Legislature comes back into session. Our Bills go up for reading. If all goes well they make it to the Governors desk..If all goes really well he doesnt veto them and signs them into law.

Im not sure what the hold up is..seeing how we settled '03-'05 not long ago they would have a guideline set....beats me..it just doesnt seem to be an aggressive movement to get the job done.

10-97UPD
08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Are you kidding? We get a free calander every year from Council 82... what more do you want? We can point the finger at the state or we can point the finger at our union, but the truth is they both share the blame for our situation. No one seems committed to getting this thing done and the members are suffering for it.

It's hard to even talk about the job statewide like we are doing, because it's not even all one job. The job is so decentralized our uniforms, lousy pay, and retirement are just about the only thing we all have in common.

Nobody cares...our local tries hard but they are fighting against SUNY itself, NYS and doesnt appear to be getting much support from C82. We are nobodies to the people who have the power to settle our needs and therefore things just dont get done. Hopefully something changes soon to reverse this problem...I dont see it happening.

JackieBoy
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
We get a free calander every year from Council 82... what more do you want? Sarcasm...funny.

But on a serious note, it is a shame if the union isn't committed on getting it done.

JackieBoy
08-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Aren't the other law enforcement agencies that ALES represents on the same bill like Park Police & Environmental Conservation Police?

When the State Legislature comes back into session. Our Bills go up for reading. If all goes well they make it to the Governors desk..If all goes really well he doesnt veto them and signs them into law.

Im not sure what the hold up is..seeing how we settled '03-'05 not long ago they would have a guideline set....beats me..it just doesnt seem to be an aggressive movement to get the job done.

JackieBoy
08-27-2008, 04:26 PM
:( Like I said, that's a shame. You guys deserve to eat at the table like everybody else.

Nobody cares...our local tries hard but they are fighting against SUNY itself, NYS and doesnt appear to be getting much support from C82. We are nobodies to the people who have the power to settle our needs and therefore things just dont get done. Hopefully something changes soon to reverse this problem...I dont see it happening.

ROCKCOP129
08-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Hey guys…. a few updates since I only check this forum once in a while. The lack of contract has to do with the State attempting to hold the ALES Unit hostage forcing us to accepting contract language for the now expired 2003-2005 contract.

There are two major things that they want to add in. These items would be major changes in the working conditions of the members. If we were to agree to such terms these would be worth additional compensation. Since were already issued an interest arbitration award for 2003-2005, the State is basically asking for these issues for free!!!

We feel that they ok to discuss these items but only for the 2005-2009 contract negotiations because the members can get a benefit for such new terms. Council 82 has filed an Improper Practice charge with PERB and is/has filed a lawsuit against the State for failing to negotiate.

I am all over legislative let down this past session. A deal had been worked out with both legislative house but with Senator Bruno resigning in the final days little was accomplished.

For those interested in the job, give it a shot. While we are not the highest paid out there we are not stuck in the middle of the Thruway meeting people only on traffic violations.

sunycop222
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
We didn't even get any calendars this year!

SUNY is good for a starting point only. Any podunk Town or Village PD values their employees more than SUNY does. Over half the guys I work with have stopped being cops a long time ago and are only here because they are stuck.

We are the forgotten state employees, that is for sure.

Light_Guardian
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Can any one shed some light on what schools are canvassing? As of yet I have only received 2 canvasses and neither schools have responded back.

UpstateNYPD
08-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Oneonta sent me a canvass letter yesterday.

Light_Guardian
08-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that. I'm assuming most schools are still in the 90's then.

JackieBoy
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Thank you for the informative response. So in your opinion, what do you see happening when the state legislature reconvenes? When do you think there will be a resolution?

If they are trying to resolve these two major items for the 2005 to 2009 contract, by the time there is something agreed upon by the union and the state, they're going to have to start working on a 2009 to 2013 contract and technically, NYSUP would still be working without an updated contract:confused:

Hey guys…. a few updates since I only check this forum once in a while. The lack of contract has to do with the State attempting to hold the ALES Unit hostage forcing us to accepting contract language for the now expired 2003-2005 contract.

There are two major things that they want to add in. These items would be major changes in the working conditions of the members. If we were to agree to such terms these would be worth additional compensation. Since were already issued an interest arbitration award for 2003-2005, the State is basically asking for these issues for free!!!

We feel that they ok to discuss these items but only for the 2005-2009 contract negotiations because the members can get a benefit for such new terms. Council 82 has filed an Improper Practice charge with PERB and is/has filed a lawsuit against the State for failing to negotiate.

I am all over legislative let down this past session. A deal had been worked out with both legislative house but with Senator Bruno resigning in the final days little was accomplished.

For those interested in the job, give it a shot. While we are not the highest paid out there we are not stuck in the middle of the Thruway meeting people only on traffic violations.

JackieBoy
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey ROCKCOP129,

In your opinion, how is Patterson's budget cuts going to affect recruiting and contract negotiations for NYSUP?

http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2008/0815/news/010.html

OTVFD18
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Any OTJ guys *nudge* ROCKCOP129 *nudge* hear of any Upstate openings or canvassing happening soon? I received about 12 canvass letters after the initial test results were released but had to defer because I am completing my last semester of school. Looking to start the process now.

NYSUP_Hockey
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Any OTJ guys *nudge* ROCKCOP129 *nudge* hear of any Upstate openings or canvassing happening soon? I received about 12 canvass letters after the initial test results were released but had to defer because I am completing my last semester of school. Looking to start the process now.

I believe the hiring freeze is still in effect, but if they do lift it be ready, a lot of university's/colleges have vacancies.

OTVFD18
09-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I believe the hiring freeze is still in effect, but if they do lift it be ready, a lot of university's/colleges have vacancies.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully NYS can straighten itself out soon.

Light_Guardian
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Any clue when this freeze might be lifted?

JackieBoy
09-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Not anytime soon with all the sh*t that's going on in the financial markets.

Any clue when this freeze might be lifted?

Light_Guardian
09-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Not anytime soon with all the sh*t that's going on in the financial markets.

And God only knows when the economy will straighten itself out...

JackieBoy
09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
We're going into a recession and economists are saying it will last twice as long as the ones experienced in the past. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Patterson is also vetoing everything under the sun that requires additional expenditures from NYS budget.

And God only knows when the economy will straighten itself out...

JackieBoy
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
A new projection shows Wall Street's meltdown will likely cost New York state up to 40,000 private sector jobs and $3 billion in tax revenues over the next two years, two state officials said Thursday.

The revised numbers in the snapshot of worst case estimates was done Wednesday at the highest levels of New York's state government.

The projection is worse than Gov. David Paterson predicted just Tuesday when he said the state could lose some $1 billion in revenue because of upheaval in the financial sector.

Wall Street is a major economic force in New York state, generating one-fifth of the state's revenues each year.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to comment on the fiscal analysis.

TheBoxer
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
IOW, even public safety related positions are on the chopping block -- despite all the stuff that's going on at places like UB? And the aftermath of Virginia Tech, etc.? :confused:

JackieBoy
09-19-2008, 02:48 PM
U mean they're actually letting go NYSUP? Which campuses?

IOW, even public safety related positions are on the chopping block -- despite all the stuff that's going on at places like UB? And the aftermath of Virginia Tech, etc.? :confused:

nycboldest21
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm going this monday to Oneonta for the physical exam...did anyone else get the call?

95mercury
09-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm going this monday to Oneonta for the physical exam...did anyone else get the call?

I got the call as well but already have a "passed agility test", which I had to fax.

I was doing a little research on that school. Do all their recruits go to the Otsego county academy, located at the campus?? I was looking at the academy website's schedule page and it says "basic course for police officer" 4/2008 through 1/2009, tues/thurs 1700-2200 and saturdays 0800-1700. :eek: Is that the regular police academy?? If so, that sure is a...spread out schedule....

As far as the economy, I'm almost ready to jump ship from this state. I realize the whole country is in a downturn but NY is really getting screwed. And why are schools still canvasing if they are not hiring??

Light_Guardian
09-20-2008, 02:11 PM
And why are schools still canvasing if they are not hiring??

I am wondering the same thing. BTW 95mercury, what did you score on the exam? I didn't receive anything from Oneonta yet so I am wondering if thats because they are still processing the 95s.

95mercury
09-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I am wondering the same thing. BTW 95mercury, what did you score on the exam? I didn't receive anything from Oneonta yet so I am wondering if thats because they are still processing the 95s.

Light_Guardian
09-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks. I am wondering why I didn't receive a canvass from them yet. I contacted civil service and they said that I am still active on the list.

DOCSatTheGunk
09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
I heard somethings at a party last night..Alot of the guys there were cops and a few were SUNY Police. A buddy of mine who wants to be a SUNY cop is nervous that they wont call him, but these UP cops were telling him not to worry alot of movement is happening around the state and they will pick him up sooner or later.

Light_Guardian
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I heard somethings at a party last night..Alot of the guys there were cops and a few were SUNY Police. A buddy of mine who wants to be a SUNY cop is nervous that they wont call him, but these UP cops were telling him not to worry alot of movement is happening around the state and they will pick him up sooner or later.

Did they say which schools are looking to hire?

10-97UPD
09-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Check out the Academy schedules in your region. The list is usually canvassed before the academy is putting on a class and then interviews are set up. So as example..... if you are in the Buffalo area and the next Erie Co or Niagara Co academy class is in Dec then the SUNY schools (if they are hiring) will most likely start interviews a few months before the academy date with the goal of getting recruits into that scheduled class. Thats how Ive seen it done. I have also seen where persons have been hired 6 months or so before the academy class but that person basically is useless to the dept because cant work patrol and if they learn anything they will forget it because they are going to a 6 mo academy.

Light_Guardian
09-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Check out the Academy schedules in your region. The list is usually canvassed before the academy is putting on a class and then interviews are set up. So as example..... if you are in the Buffalo area and the next Erie Co or Niagara Co academy class is in Dec then the SUNY schools (if they are hiring) will most likely start interviews a few months before the academy date with the goal of getting recruits into that scheduled class. Thats how Ive seen it done. I have also seen where persons have been hired 6 months or so before the academy class but that person basically is useless to the dept because cant work patrol and if they learn anything they will forget it because they are going to a 6 mo academy.

Thanks for the info 10-97. What do they usually do to the candidate hired 6 months out? Do they still work at the school or do they just wait until the academy while on the department's payroll?

10-97UPD
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info 10-97. What do they usually do to the candidate hired 6 months out? Do they still work at the school or do they just wait until the academy while on the department's payroll?

They report to work (usually day shift) and learn dispatch, read policy and procedure and do orientation. They may also ride around with an officer from time to time. I had a two week lay over before I went to the academy and I hated it. I couldnt do 6 months. IMHO it is useless to put too much time and energy into a "pre-academy period" because anything that recruit is going to learn is going to have to be re taught after the academy. Two weeks prior to tha academy is fine...get the basics, complete required paperwork and prepare for that academy (equipment, uniformes ect).

JackieBoy
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
What did you mean by "alot of the movement is happening around the state"?

TheBoxer
10-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Maybe this is a ridiculous question given the financial meltdown that is going on right now...but is anybody receiving any canvass letters from anywhere in the SUNY system?

For a while it seemed like my mailbox was filled with them, from everywhere. Now the flow had dried up. (And I got a 95 on the exam...)

ArmySean
10-03-2008, 01:44 AM
does any one know when the next test is going to be? and is it for all the schools or do you have to take a bunch of different ones?

UpstateNYPD
10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
does any one know when the next test is going to be? and is it for all the schools or do you have to take a bunch of different ones?

They are usually every 2 years, meaning the next one should be in 2009. You take one test for upstate SUNY schools, and one for downstate.

JackieBoy
10-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I received a canvas letter from a downstate school about a week and half ago asking me to respond by 10/1.

Maybe this is a ridiculous question given the financial meltdown that is going on right now...but is anybody receiving any canvass letters from anywhere in the SUNY system?

For a while it seemed like my mailbox was filled with them, from everywhere. Now the flow had dried up. (And I got a 95 on the exam...)

bxhousing
10-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I know for a fact that there are open officer positions within the system, but most of them are being filled with transfers rather than from the list. It's an easy decision... no pay out to send someone through the academy and no wondering if that person will make it.

This is no small crisis and I think we're just at the beginning. Time will tell and hopefully things get better.

TheBoxer
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I know for a fact that there are open officer positions within the system, but most of them are being filled with transfers rather than from the list. It's an easy decision... no pay out to send someone through the academy and no wondering if that person will make it.

I just happened to surf through the HR site for UB and what do I find:

Position Title Unviersity Police Officer I
Classification Title University Police Officer 1
Posting Number 0800454
External Posting Date 09/29/2008
External Closing Date 10/08/2008

So I'm wondering --- did they just not canvass from outside SUNY, even though they mention external posting/closing dates? :confused: I didn't receive a canvass letter from them. Should I hurry up and apply online, even though I wasn't canvassed?

bxhousing
10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Can't hurt to apply.

With the budget crunch campuses will start "poaching" cops from other campuses. If that goes on for awhile then they will be all out of people to move around and they will have to hire from the list.

95mercury
10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
WTF, I was hoping to get a call from them for this next round of hiring. I had an interview the last round and didn't make it but it said I may be called again.

I can see my future now.....I see palm trees and sunny skies.....

:D

EDIT: I found this under "qualifications":

1. Transfer Eligibility Requirement: you must have a current permanent appointment with a minimum of 1 year of service in a position of the same title or transferable title. 2. Reassignment Requirement: You must hold the same title at the University at Buffalo. 3. Reinstatement Requirement: You must be a former state employee to request reinstatement to the title that was held (or transferable title).

** ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET AT LEAST ONE OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS. ANY APPLICATIONS RECEIVED THAT DO NOT MEET AT LEAST ONE OF THE ABOVE REQUIRMENTS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNQUALIFIED AND WILL BE DISCARDED. **

A completed application is required to be considered for this position. If you have received a canvass letter, DO NOT APPLY to this position. You must apply to the web address provided on your canvass letter.

So, it appears only current or former officers need apply?? Not sure if I'm reading that right.

TheBoxer
10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
WTF, I was hoping to get a call from them for this next round of hiring. I had an interview the last round and didn't make it but it said I may be called again.

So, it appears only current or former officers need apply?? Not sure if I'm reading that right.

That's what I thought too...unless, of course, you received a canvass letter. Which I didn't. In the past, they canvassed people from outside SUNY; enclosed with the canvass letter was another letter from HR instructing you where to apply online. I'm thinking that they just decided to skip the outsiders this time, even those of us with good scores (90s) and who had interviewed previously (me) in favor of transferees only.

TheBoxer
10-08-2008, 10:08 PM

...straight from the proverbial horse's mouth: They didn't canvass anyone from outside this time because they had enough transferee's from other SUNY departments. :(

Sighhhhhhhhhhh.....................

bxhousing
10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Look at the bright side... if UB (or any other SUNY) is hiring other SUNY cops then there will be vacancies other places. The finnancial situation does have an effect on hiring, but you can only lose so many before you have to replace. Many of these schools have 15 - 20 cops, so losing only 1 or 2 is a big hit to their manpower.

Light_Guardian
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Look at the bright side... if UB (or any other SUNY) is hiring other SUNY cops then there will be vacancies other places. The finnancial situation does have an effect on hiring, but you can only lose so many before you have to replace. Many of these schools have 15 - 20 cops, so losing only 1 or 2 is a big hit to their manpower.

Hey bx...do you forsee these schools actually sending fresh candidates to the academy or will they rely on laterals from outside agencies. Are there alot of people from outside agencies willing to transfer into SUNY?

bxhousing
10-10-2008, 02:17 AM
No such thing as a lateral into SUNY... you must be reachable on the list. SUNY will hire certified cops who are on the list, but honestly, I can't think of too many full time police gigs in NY with worse pay, line of duty, or retirement benefits than SUNY.

That being said, I am sure there are people who would take the SUNY job who are certfied, but they would have to be on the list and I still think you're going to see people getting hired off the list. The big places - UB, Albany, etc are probably going to be poaching from other schools rather than hiring from the list.

We are in uncertain times right now and the next few years look tight on money for NYS. They can make cuts, but in the end you are going to need cops. Bad economic situations are always good for a buyout scenario.... you could see that come up in the future which would lead to a lot of vacancies. Who knows? I know waiting sucks... take every test you can and don't forget to look for good LE gigs in unexpected places. Check out the private universities and community colleges in NYS that have armed peace officers (Ithaca College, Cornell, Syracuse, Canisius).

Light_Guardian
10-10-2008, 07:11 AM
No such thing as a lateral into SUNY... you must be reachable on the list. SUNY will hire certified cops who are on the list, but honestly, I can't think of too many full time police gigs in NY with worse pay, line of duty, or retirement benefits than SUNY.

That being said, I am sure there are people who would take the SUNY job who are certfied, but they would have to be on the list and I still think you're going to see people getting hired off the list. The big places - UB, Albany, etc are probably going to be poaching from other schools rather than hiring from the list.

We are in uncertain times right now and the next few years look tight on money for NYS. They can make cuts, but in the end you are going to need cops. Bad economic situations are always good for a buyout scenario.... you could see that come up in the future which would lead to a lot of vacancies. Who knows? I know waiting sucks... take every test you can and don't forget to look for good LE gigs in unexpected places. Check out the private universities and community colleges in NYS that have armed peace officers (Ithaca College, Cornell, Syracuse, Canisius).

I applied to both Ithaca and Cornell and currently I am in process with Cornell which would be a great gig. I recently applied to SUNY Potsdam because I saw they had some openings on their website. Whats the trend with small schools up North?

deputyjrp55
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Is there an age cut off requirment for the University Police? Why do so many Northeast departments have a cut off at 35?

JackieBoy
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I believe there's no age cut off requirement for NYS UP.

Is there an age cut off requirment for the University Police? Why do so many Northeast departments have a cut off at 35?

DOCSatTheGunk
10-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Did they say which schools are looking to hire?

these guys were working out of SUNY New Paltz

Kardian24
10-11-2008, 05:51 AM
.edit sorry wrong thread

sunycop222
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
timesunion.com

SUNY crime stats fudged?[/B][/B]

By MARC PARRY, Staff writer
First published in print: Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ALBANY – Some SUNY campuses have under-reported crime statistics and most haven't fully followed the law for disclosing stats and other safety information, according to a draft state comptroller's office report obtained by the Times Union.

Problems included reporting an artificially lower number of alleged sex offenses because they were classified as "investigations" on police logs, according to the report.

In other cases, thefts that should have been treated as burglaries were labeled larcenies – which the law doesn't require schools to disclose.

Both of those errors happened at Stony Brook, the draft report said, one of four campuses that auditors examined in depth in a report expected to be released this week.

The audit looked at how all 29 state-operated campuses were complying with the Clery Act, the federal law that forces them to report crimes to the government and warn students when they occur.

The U.S. Department of Education can issue fines up to $27,500 per violation for Clery violations.

In the case of University at Albany, not one of the four campuses that auditors visted, the audit found problems with how it prepared the Clery-required annual security report. It also faulted how the school reported hate crimes and the location of crimes.

The report is being made public as crime against students is back in the news with Monday's off-campus killing of a UAlbany senior.

But that homicide would probably not be reported under the Clery Act. Even though most crimes against college students happen off campus, the law only holds schools accountable for campuses, noncampus buildings such as fraternity houses, and adjacent public property like sidewalks.

A Times Union investigation published in May found many off-campus crimes against UAlbany students didn't appear in the school's annual Clery reports to the U.S. Education Department and failed to trigger e-mail alerts to students.

The comptroller's report obtained by the Times Union is a draft. It's unclear whether findings in the final audit will differ from the draft. A spokeswoman for the comptroller's office confirmed the Clery audit but would not comment on the draft.

In an interview Tuesday, UAlbany Police Inspector Aran Mull said another recent federal review found the school actually over-reported some statistics. He said UAlbany didn't have any hate crimes during the period covered in the audit. He said SUNY felt their data was not as centrally located as it should be, a problem UAlbany fixed.

A Stony Brook spokesman did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment Tuesday evening.

JackieBoy
10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Interesting article. More importantly, how would this effect current contract negotiations and the hiring of new officers? Anyone want to shed some light on that.

timesunion.com

SUNY crime stats fudged?[/B][/B]

By MARC PARRY, Staff writer
First published in print: Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ALBANY – Some SUNY campuses have under-reported crime statistics and most haven't fully followed the law for disclosing stats and other safety information, according to a draft state comptroller's office report obtained by the Times Union.

Problems included reporting an artificially lower number of alleged sex offenses because they were classified as "investigations" on police logs, according to the report.

In other cases, thefts that should have been treated as burglaries were labeled larcenies – which the law doesn't require schools to disclose.

Both of those errors happened at Stony Brook, the draft report said, one of four campuses that auditors examined in depth in a report expected to be released this week.

The audit looked at how all 29 state-operated campuses were complying with the Clery Act, the federal law that forces them to report crimes to the government and warn students when they occur.

The U.S. Department of Education can issue fines up to $27,500 per violation for Clery violations.

In the case of University at Albany, not one of the four campuses that auditors visted, the audit found problems with how it prepared the Clery-required annual security report. It also faulted how the school reported hate crimes and the location of crimes.

The report is being made public as crime against students is back in the news with Monday's off-campus killing of a UAlbany senior.

But that homicide would probably not be reported under the Clery Act. Even though most crimes against college students happen off campus, the law only holds schools accountable for campuses, noncampus buildings such as fraternity houses, and adjacent public property like sidewalks.

A Times Union investigation published in May found many off-campus crimes against UAlbany students didn't appear in the school's annual Clery reports to the U.S. Education Department and failed to trigger e-mail alerts to students.

The comptroller's report obtained by the Times Union is a draft. It's unclear whether findings in the final audit will differ from the draft. A spokeswoman for the comptroller's office confirmed the Clery audit but would not comment on the draft.

In an interview Tuesday, UAlbany Police Inspector Aran Mull said another recent federal review found the school actually over-reported some statistics. He said UAlbany didn't have any hate crimes during the period covered in the audit. He said SUNY felt their data was not as centrally located as it should be, a problem UAlbany fixed.

A Stony Brook spokesman did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment Tuesday evening.

NYSUPBK
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Statement from SUNY Assistant Vice Chancellor for University Police Roger Johnson on OSC’s Clery Audit of SUNY

October 22, 2008

“The health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors is the State University of New York’s (SUNY) top priority,” said Roger Johnson, assistant vice chancellor for University Police and a 30-plus year veteran of law enforcement. “Nothing in the Office of the State Comptroller’s (OSC) audit disputes that SUNY campuses provide safe environments. For example, the SUNY NY-Alert program, launched last year, is the largest coordinated campus safety and alert effort in the country.

"Care must be taken in reviewing these issues,” said Johnson. “The OSC audit deals with reporting data and does not address actual campus safety.

“Every day, SUNY officers work in cooperation with local, state and federal law and public safety agencies to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff on our campuses,” Johnson explained. “SUNY police officers receive regular training in handling critical incidents, work with students to ensure they understand the risks that may confront them, and are involved with the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement (IACLEA), the preeminent organization of campus police.

“We will review the Comptroller’s audit and clarify any reporting inconsistencies. Our police officers are experienced, trained to meet New York State standards, and keep SUNY campuses safe.”

UpstateNYPD
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Campus_Cop_Charged_With_Stealing_Donuts.html
Campus Cop Charged With Stealing Donuts
Cop lifts $300 worth of pastries
Updated 10:32 AM EDT, Thu, Oct 30, 2008

AP

State police say an upstate New York college campus policeman was helping himself to free pastries at a local convenience store.

The Valero Nice N Easy offers free coffee to any police officer in uniform.

Sgt. Steve Brody of the Morrisville State College University Police stopped daily to buy a newspaper and pick up a free cup of coffee. He also routinely stuffed a pastry into his coat.

Brody is now accused of taking about $30 worth of pastries over at least 17 separate occasions.

Brody, 55, of Morrisville, was ticketed for petit larceny. Troopers say they have surveillance videos.

Brody and his defense attorney declined to comment. Brody remains an employee at Morrisville; school officials say the case is a personnel matter and refused further comment.

Copyright Associated Press

I didn't know the UPD had the rank of SGT, unless the author is simply making a mistake.

sunycop222
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Sergeants, Tech Sergeants, Captains, and police educators- yes police educators are in house only titles given to grade 14 officers by Chiefs giving their friends a cookie. No increase in pay or authority. In violation of civil service laws.

The union sits by and does nothing while this continues to happen more and more.

This is another reason on how mismanaged UPD is!

JackieBoy
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Maybe some bad press could actually work to UP's advantage.

10-97UPD
10-31-2008, 02:26 AM
Give me a break!!!! Thefts from corner stores happen on an hourly basis...how many are solved with the owner being happy with simply getting the product back or paid for without charges being pressed? Now a cop takes a donut on 17 different occasions with a grand total of $30.00 and he is hung.

Im not saying what was done by Broty was right but there is obviously more to the story.You mean to tell me that somebody actually took the time to count how many times he took a donut and came to the grand total of 17?...WTF? Do you have anything better to do?? If this guy is stealing then let the consequences fall where they may. My question is why wasnt something said or done after the first donut theft? "No..not yet..Lets wait until the the 17th and we'll really have him". This whole thing is sick all the way around. Id love to hear the whole truth about this one.

JackieBoy
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes:

Give me a break!!!! Thefts from corner stores happen on an hourly basis...how many are solved with the owner being happy with simply getting the product back or paid for without charges being pressed? Now a cop takes a donut on 17 different occasions with a grand total of $30.00 and he is hung.

Im not saying what was done by Broty was right but there is obviously more to the story.You mean to tell me that somebody actually took the time to count how many times he took a donut and came to the grand total of 17?...WTF? Do you have anything better to do?? If this guy is stealing then let the consequences fall where they may. My question is why wasnt something said or done after the first donut theft? "No..not yet..Lets wait until the the 17th and we'll really have him". This whole thing is sick all the way around. Id love to hear the whole truth about this one.

NYSUPBK
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
U Mean To Tell Me A Cop Is Not Allowed To Have A Comp. Donut And Coffee In Mayburry, Thats Ridiculous. A Conv. Store Is A Place Most Likely To Be Robbed. Most Places Are Happy To See Cops. This Story Is Weird..

gbotj
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
the coffe was comp. Donut wasnt. He was stealing the donut though. Do I think it should have went this far? Hell freaking no. It should have been "officer, Im sorry but just the coffee is on the arm". Not video taping it then turning over to the press.

Hopefully no cop ever goes to this conv. store ever again.

95mercury
11-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Anyone get a Buff State canvass recently?

OTVFD18
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Anyone get a Buff State canvass recently?

I just got one today. Does anybody have any good information about this department/school? I know a guy that recently got in there. I wish I could get a hold of him to see what working there is really like.

Light_Guardian
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
I just got one today. Does anybody have any good information about this department/school? I know a guy that recently got in there. I wish I could get a hold of him to see what working there is really like.

I know Potsdam is currently canvassing but that might be too far up north for some people.

TheBoxer
11-04-2008, 11:14 PM

I hate to be discouraging, but my impression is that it's much like UB -- loads of people transferring in from other places.

JackieBoy
11-11-2008, 01:40 PM
For those of you interested in SUNY PD, here's a good article about SUNY scools and hiring freezes:

http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2008/1017/news/013.html

95mercury
11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm still getting canvass letters, including one from UAlbany the other day.........:confused:

10-97UPD
11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
It has been explained to me that UPD is not included in the hiring freeze hence the fact some of you are still getting canvass letters. Im sure some of the details vary on a school to school basis..ie manpower needs, expected retirements..ect. Im sure some campuses are being cautious and pinching a bit..and to be blatently honest probably using the budget excuse not to spend cash. They simply cant leave the campuses without adequate Police coverage regardless of a hiring freeze. The "UUP" spoken of in the article is the United University Professors. Staff such as maintenance, grounds workers, secretaries..ect are the jobs in question. No college president or Police chief wants to deal with the liability of an inadequate Police force due to a "hiring freeze"....its kind of a weak excuse if you ask me.

JackieBoy
11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I can confirm that also. Just got another canvas letter from another downstate school.

It has been explained to me that UPD is not included in the hiring freeze hence the fact some of you are still getting canvass letters. Im sure some of the details vary on a school to school basis..ie manpower needs, expected retirements..ect. Im sure some campuses are being cautious and pinching a bit..and to be blatently honest probably using the budget excuse not to spend cash. They simply cant leave the campuses without adequate Police coverage regardless of a hiring freeze. The "UUP" spoken of in the article is the United University Professors. Staff such as maintenance, grounds workers, secretaries..ect are the jobs in question. No college president or Police chief wants to deal with the liability of an inadequate Police force due to a "hiring freeze"....its kind of a weak excuse if you ask me.

John2008
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I can confirm that also. Just got another canvas letter from another downstate school.

probably the same canvas letter I got. which I'm turning down.
Good luck.

Light_Guardian
11-18-2008, 06:37 AM
probably the same canvas letter I got. which I'm turning down.
Good luck.

Hey John are you still in the academy for NYPD?

95mercury
11-26-2008, 12:57 AM
I have an interview soon with a school that I interviewed with already last June. I wasn't selected but they canvassed me again recently and here I am again. How do they do things in this case as far as the interview? Will it be the same format? Pretty much a carbon copy of before? Or will it be different because they already interviewed me before?

Thanks.

10-97UPD
11-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I have an interview soon with a school that I interviewed with already last June. I wasn't selected but they canvassed me again recently and here I am again. How do they do things in this case as far as the interview? Will it be the same format? Pretty much a carbon copy of before? Or will it be different because they already interviewed me before?

Thanks.

Tough to say...they probably would use close to the same format in the interview but this time they know more about you and probably have a file of your info from last time....and possibly different people sitting in. To be honest with you..I wouldnt even worry about what the interview consists of. Id look at it in the light that they are calling you back wich most likely says they see something in you. My advice is go in there with confidence and spell it out to them AGAIN why they should hire you. Keep it simple..dont over think it. All you can do is give it your best shot.

Light_Guardian
11-27-2008, 09:05 AM

Thanks.

Hey 95 which school are you interviewing with?

JackieBoy
12-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Which SUNY campuses(downstate or upstate) are planning on sending recruits into a police academy in the next month or two?