PDA

View Full Version : Say its not true!!! Police land helicopter for donut run

wonderwoman
10-07-2001, 03:03 AM
And the media takes advantage of another opportunity to embarrass police..... I wonder how many positive things police did this day that weren't reported! What do you think these officers were thinking when they did this?

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- Albuquerque police have taken doughnut runs to new heights, swooping down in an official helicopter for a late-night snack.

"I don't know how they decided that was a good idea," said Lt. Bob Huntsman, department spokesman.

Huntsman said the department is investigating.

"If they violated policy or procedure, they're going to get disciplined for it," he said. "We've worked too hard to make this a professional unit to let lack of common sense tear us down."

Keith Turner, who works near a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop, said he was on a break with other people early Thursday when a police helicopter circled and landed in a dirt field nearby.

"I was like, 'No, they'd better not go and get doughnuts,"' Turner said. As the helicopter idled, someone got out and went into the store, returning 10 or 15 minutes later with a Krispy Kreme box, he said.

The chopper gave what Turner presumed was a goodbye toot on its police siren as it took off, he said.

Huntsman confirmed it happened but said he had not yet spoken to those aboard. He said it appeared the two officers were near the end of their shift and probably were flying back to a hangar on the same side of town.

SpecOpsWarrior
10-07-2001, 08:18 AM
Hey at least they got Krispy Kreme instead of Dunkin Donuts!!! :D :D :D

drunkhunter
10-07-2001, 08:47 AM
I don't see what the fuss is all about. :)

Barkley
10-07-2001, 09:13 AM
Wonder woman, I think I can relate.

About three years back one of our observant citizens noticed an RCMP vehicle running outside one of our local restaurants for about an hour or two. It was

Jim Burnes
10-07-2001, 12:39 PM
Well, come on! On the one hand, Police helicopters can't be loaded with rockets and on the other they can't be used for doughnut runs!

What's the point of havin' em, eh? :rolleyes: :D

Jim Burnes

Kaos
10-07-2001, 01:08 PM
"Officers gots to eats too!" :D

Vtfuzz
10-07-2001, 01:29 PM
Glad to see it looks like I'm not the only one who could see himself doing something like that!! :D

MPD3P59
10-07-2001, 06:33 PM
People will b!tch about anything the Police do. I think these folks just have Helicopter-envy. :cool:

Don
10-07-2001, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by wonderwoman:
<STRONG>What do you think these officers were thinking when they did this?
</STRONG>

I can tell you what they were thinking, ww:
"Damn, I sure do want a donut!" ;)

wonderwoman
10-08-2001, 01:01 AM
Hello Don, guess I walked into that one eh?

MPD3P59 - Love it! Helicopter envy!! LOL!

You all are just toooooo funny!

swatbwana
10-08-2001, 04:26 PM
I think the guy had to go really bad and on the way out why not bag a dozen to go.

Sparky
10-08-2001, 05:14 PM
I don't see a problem with it.

wonderwoman
10-08-2001, 11:51 PM
I'm waiting to see if they will cave in to public pressure and find something to discipline them with. Although, I would just say what Swatbwana said.... one had to go to the bathroom.
:(

Guard Dog
10-13-2001, 01:45 PM
I guess I'm in a minority here.....I think it was totally HUA. I don't know where this donut BS started, I think it was Paula Poundstone that had a comedy routine that mimicked the cop speaking with donuts in his mouth etc and the comercial with the sterotype "Southern Sheriff" with the donut powder all over his shirt and mouth. The public caught it and it stuck.

The Ill State Police set out some decoy squads on the expressways around Chicago. It became a joke for the motorists to stop and pile empty donut boxes on them.

Why perpetuate a sterotype and bring discredit to our profession by such stupid stunts? Damn sure a helicopter is going to drawn attention. DUH???

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Guard Dog ]

LBomb
10-13-2001, 05:18 PM
Hey, if a patrol officer can take his RPC ther, a motorcycle cop can take his wheel there, and a Mounted officer can take his horse there, why can't the Air unit fly there? This was a greaty story.
As for the donut eating stereotype...who cares. It's like being called a pig, we embraced that years ago. We have a Dunkin Donuts next door to our district. Do you think for one minute that the place isn't crawling with cops looking for a caffeine or sugar rush? Some days we could hold union meetings in there. And yes, people joke about it...I don't take myself that seriously that I can't laugh about it myself.
And the donut stereotype goes back a lot further then Paula Poundstone. Back in the day, before the days of the 24 hour "Stop & Rob's"the only places open all night were the donut shops. They were a convenient place to stop for coffee and chit-chat with the other zombies who had to be awake all night. That's the explanation I got anyhow. ;)

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: LBomb ]

Duke
10-18-2001, 07:04 AM
I actually think it's funny. But I think there's some FAA rule about them only landing in certain areas except in emergencies. Who knows...

I'd go with the bathroom story. Now that's an emergency! :eek: