PDA

View Full Version : Cops not brand loyal?

CruiserClass
01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
So, the Sunday paper shows up this morning and in the business section there is a big write up on Smith & Wesson and how they are turning the company around, getting government contracts, etc. etc.

So, then I read this quote from "Ray McGrath of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers":

"A police officer on the street isn't going to say he prefers a Colt or a Berreta or a Glock over a Smith & Wesson. The reality is that the general police public is more concerned about the safety and accuracy of a weapon. They're not particular to the actual manufacturer of a weapon."

Seriously? Ok, there are cops who aren't, never where, and never will be "gun people" and may not have brand preferences. I wouldn't say the "general police public" though.

I know I've got my brand preferences and wouldn't hesitate to say I prefer Springfield over Ruger, or whatever.

Anyone else's opinion on McGrath's comment?

AzDogs
01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Nothing other than to agree with what you said. Some guns I flat out refuse to own and some I would bet my life on (and do).

k9 max
01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I could be off the mark on this, but I think one of the reasons Glock has enjoyed such popularity amongst police agencies, is the ease of use and maintenance of the gun. When a young police officer starts his/her career, many have little if any experience with a weapon. That being said, perhaps one could argue that an agency is brand loyal to Glock for these specific reasons.

jwise
01-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm brand loyal. About everything.

Kieth M.
01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
The comment is a little on the silly side...hell, yes, I have a preference...but these nasty little things called department regulations prevent me from carrying what I want, when I want. While gainfully employed, I only get to choose from the items offered on the menu. When I retire, I'll carry what I want - I can be brand loyal then.

stangfather
01-31-2007, 12:58 AM
id say everyone has their likes and dislikes...

i dont care for Glock but it is a great gun, id carry one if i had to.

as long as it doesnt say High Point, Charter Arms or something, its probably OK.

were all opinionated. :cool:

GCPD0171
01-31-2007, 05:16 AM
I think officers who are serious about their safety and equipment will be loyal to particular brands. I know lots of officers who aren't and would'nt care what they carried. His comment might not have been too far off.

Mitchell_in_CT
01-31-2007, 10:16 AM
"A police officer on the street isn't going to say he prefers a Colt or a Berreta or a Glock over a Smith & Wesson. The reality is that the general police public is more concerned about the safety and accuracy of a weapon. They're not particular to the actual manufacturer of a weapon."

I think he is making an asumption which is more to the point of "Cops don't care what they carry, as long as its reliable, ergonomic, accurate, light weight, inexpensive, top quality and easy to maintain..."

If the S&W 5906 fit that bill better than a Glock, you wouldn't have a Glock 17 on hand right now...

However, the G17 has it beat, so you do.

Bighead
02-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I think that quite a few officers come into the service without any brand loyalty. They shot what they are issued, and if they do weill with it they tend to stick with it. Those of us who are gun people might spend a little more time thinking about what we want, and therefore come to another conclusion. Gun people might also have a preference before they get an issued firearm.

My preference is as follows:

Handguns (double action)

1. Glock
2. Sig-Sauer
3. Hecklar & Koch
4. Springfield XD
5. Beretta
6. Ruger

Handguns (single action)

1. Kimber
2. Springfield Armory
(All the rest that are good enough to trust my life with are to proud of their product.)

Handguns (Revolver)

1. Colt Python
2. Smith & Wesson L, K, J, and N frames (in that order)
3. Ruger
4. All other Colt revolvers

Handgun Calibers

1. .357 Magnum
2. .40
3. .45
4. .357 Sig
5. .9mm

Ammunition Manufacturer

1. Speer Gold-Dot
2. Federal Hydro-Shock
3. Winchester Ranger SXT
4. Cor-Bon
5. Remington Golden Sabre

Shotguns

1. Benelli M1-Super 90
2. Remington 870
3. Mossberg 590
4. Remington 1187
5. Ithaca Model 37 (for those from the old school around here)

boomstik45
02-15-2007, 11:31 PM
A thousand opinions on this you'll get. Brand loyalty has as much to do with experience as it does whether a police officer cares much about guns or not. So many non-LE people assume that police by and large know nothing about guns or they assume that we know everything. Neither is true across the board. Glock is a good example of an easy-to-train-and-transition weapon. As one person already stated, hence the popularity. But it doesn't stop there. While it takes awhile for LE decision-makers to change over, it can happen and all at once. Glock is good, but doesn't want to change much. The fact is, other companies want that market share and will work to get it. Glock can't have 70 percent of the LE market forever. Brand loyalty is subjective. It will more likely have to do with the individual rather than the department. While many guys carry glocks (issued) and agree that they work, they may be 1911 lovers or Sig lovers, or anything else. I like too many of them to be too brand loyal. I love certain models of many manufacturers. They all fit certain niches, I guess.

DeputySC
02-17-2007, 04:02 AM
I don't have alot of experience with other handguns. Im sure there has to be others comparable or better then my glock. But I carry a Glock .23 on duty and love it. Its tactical, given its ability to be able to function under very rugged conditions, like under water and being tossed all through the mud. Its half plastic so its a little lighter then most handguns. No safety. It's double action. Simple to take apart and clean. Its proved with me to be very reliable and accurate, I have not had a jam with this one yet with a guestimate of 5000ish rounds fired through it. And lastly I am very comfortable with it. With that said I prefer the glock .23.

But I do want to test fire a few other different guns and form my own opinion before I would actually buy another gun for my personal stash. I do want to purchase a glock .23 of my own sometime in the future though.

SigCop
02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
I'm loyal to whatever brand proves it can be relied upon. I've had had good experiences with both brands of duty weapons I have carried, Beretta and Sig Sauer, and would feel confident with both.

Traffic_82
02-18-2007, 04:36 AM
I think officers who are serious about their safety and equipment will be loyal to particular brands. I know lots of officers who aren't and would'nt care what they carried. His comment might not have been too far off.

I wouldn't go that far. The guy said as long as it's reliable and accurate. Keep in mind I've only been on for 3 years...but the majority of us in my neck of the woods are not "gun guys" and usually brand arguments are not brought up (unless we're at the range and firearms guys are around).

For me at least, it's only a tool I may have to use one day (god forbid), so I keep it clean, send it in for annual checkups, and practice with it. I don't care if it says "Sig Sauer" "Glock" "Beretta" or whatever, if it works, then I'm happy :D .

boomstik45
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
DeputySC, I hope you never try to fire that glock underwater. It's not meant to do so, and has to have a specific internal part to do so safely. They don't come from the factory like that.

ThursCo
02-19-2007, 02:20 AM
Some info on that

Scroll down to the "Can I shoot my GLOCK underwater?"

http://www.topglock.com/info/faq.htm

Good site for the glock-philes out there.

countryboy610
02-26-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm brand loyal, make mine a Wilson Combat CQB in .45 ACP.

The department insists on a Sig 226.

Guess which one I carry?