PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry laws. BS?

The Count
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Good afternoon guys!

I'm a Charles County Maryland resident and I was wondering if it is possible to attain a concealed carry permit in maryland. I know that they have the concealed carry laws, but I hear from many people that they're really just available to retired police officers and security persons who carry large amounts of cash often. Am I wrong? Or is it almost impossible to get a CC permit in MD?

DPS55
12-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Good afternoon guys!

I'm a Charles County Maryland resident and I was wondering if it is possible to attain a concealed carry permit in maryland. I know that they have the concealed carry laws, but I hear from many people that they're really just available to retired police officers and security persons who carry large amounts of cash often. Am I wrong? Or is it almost impossible to get a CC permit in MD?
Basically! From my understanding you have to have a authorized organization sponsor you or you have to need one for work purposes (security, P.I., doctor, lawyer etc.) Its even tougher in D.C.

The Count
12-18-2006, 02:35 PM
What do you mean an organization sponser you? Like the NRA?

etamante
12-18-2006, 02:45 PM
packing.org has all the states ccw information.

irishlad2nv
12-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Good afternoon guys!

Yes it is very difficult to obtain a CCW in Maryland. Go to http://www.mdsp.org/, scroll down to Firearms/Permits. Most security guards, even correctional officers can not obtain a CCW. Lawyers, Judges, Business owners who deposit money are usually the ones to obtain a CCW.

armoredman
12-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Yikes. Move to Free AZ, lots of room.

Blackdog F4i
12-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Move to Vermont or Alaska. Lots of room, and no CCW needed. ;)

AZCO
12-19-2006, 01:10 AM
I moved out here to AZ from NJ and was really shocked at the "open carry" many people practice here. But why? Thats the way America is supposed to be. In NJ, only off duty cops and criminal thugs carry guns. Civilians are "easy prey" because criminals know they're almost always unarmed. There is absolutely no reason why a LAW-ABIDING citizen should be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the protection of himself and his family.
As a CO here in Arizona, I am permitted to carry a concealed weapon, and I always do.

detsarg
12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Civilians are "easy prey" because criminals know they're almost always unarmed. There is absolutely no reason why a LAW-ABIDING citizen should be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the protection of himself and his family.

The voice of reason. Why can't the liberals understand that?

armoredman
12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I certainly recognize the badge avatar, nice job, there.

Blackdog F4i
12-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Why can't the liberals understand that?

I suspect they are either afraid of guns, or need a "socially acceptable" cause to crusade against.

detsarg
12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I suspect they are either afraid of guns, or need a "socially acceptable" cause to crusade against.

I believe that is part of it. Also, they have not, as individuals, been the victim of a violent crime. That usually changes someone's attitude.

Reach_Ray
12-19-2006, 07:13 PM
What about CA? How does one go about getting a CCW? Particularly in LA County? :confused:

armoredman
12-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Know somebody. Even Edward James Olmos got denied a CCW in LA County. Or, move here. :cool:

SoCalFed
12-22-2006, 12:22 AM
What about CA? How does one go about getting a CCW? Particularly in LA County? :confused:

There are about 1,300 permit holders in Los Angeles County. Many of them are judges, retired federal LEO's (pre-HR218), reserve officers, and some REAL connected folks. If you don't fit into these categories, the chance of getting issued a permit is so slim, it should be classified as "none". And although the number of permit holders might sound high, remember there almost ten million people residing in Los Angeles County. Then again, there are only ten CCW permit holders in all of San Francisco County...

equinox137
12-22-2006, 02:32 AM
How did CCW work for active federal LEOs pre-HR218?

SoCalFed
12-22-2006, 09:04 AM
How did CCW work for active federal LEOs pre-HR218?

There was no need for it as we could carry on the badge (with our creds). The only federal LEO who were affected by HR218 in California were folks such as Bureau of Prisons staff who are not issued firearms and folks from various federal police agencies such as Veterans Affairs, Postal Police, etc who were not allowed by agency policy to carry off-duty on the badge. Unfortunately all of those folks who are carrying under HR218 are completely on their own should an incident occur off-duty in which they use a firearm.