PDA

View Full Version : NC Deputy Charged With Murder...

NavyCop
12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
for shooting an unarmed criminal during a raid.

Story (http://www.wral.com/news/10511332/detail.html)

The DA and Sheriff should be ashamed of themselves for hanging this guy out to dry. It was an accident, so how could the DA even consider a charge of murder?

Jayc6018
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
for shooting an unarmed criminal during a raid.

Story (http://www.wral.com/news/10511332/detail.html)

The DA and Sheriff should be ashamed of themselves for hanging this guy out to dry. It was an accident, so how could the DA even consider a charge of murder?

Accident huh? sounds similar to the NYC case in respect both suspects in this case and the NYC case had criminal records.

t150vsuptpr
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Tragic.

Tragic for both the officer and the victim.

No doubt he heard a loud bang. No doubt he was startled by it. He probably should have expected it as surely he knew they were using a ram. He didn't see a muzzle flash or see a weapon in the victim's posession however.

I can't say what is in the minds of those in N.C., but I do know of a few cases where officers were indicted and charged with homicide or manslaughter just to get the case in a court of record while the facts were fresh ...
... where once it was dismissed, it could never be brought up again by a new CA maybe looking for a "trophy from the past".

Best of luck to him.

:)

NavyCop
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Accident huh? sounds similar to the NYC case in respect both suspects in this case and the NYC case had criminal records.

Nowhere near being similar. In this case, they were going on a raid to a house where both of the suspects lived. One suspect was arrested already and had pictures on the internet posing with all sorts of guns including assualt rifles. Its resonable to believe that the guns in the photo were present in the home at the time of the raid.

But since you bring it up, why aren't Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson protesting this shooting? Is it because the criminal that was shot was white?

NavyCop
12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Tragic.

Tragic for both the officer and the victim.

I refuse to refer to the criminal as a victim. He put himself in the position by participating in an armed robbery.

Jayc6018
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Nowhere near being similar. In this case, they were going on a raid to a house where both of the suspects lived. One suspect was arrested already and had pictures on the internet posing with all sorts of guns including assualt rifles. Its resonable to believe that the guns in the photo were present in the home at the time of the raid.

But since you bring it up, why aren't Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson protesting this shooting? Is it because the criminal that was shot was white?

No its because those criminals STOLE and had in possession 2 playstation 3's and as you said posed with guns on the internet. The officers already had the go ahead to arrest them thats the difference.
Doesn't matter this guy who was killed was white, fact is he's a thief.

Raiden
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Read the article. Thought provoking to be honest. However, his "mistake," as pointed out in the article, costed someone's life. There's no other way to spin it. Now the DA wants to go after the guy. I have mixed feelings about it. In a way, yes, they should go after him, he shot and killed someone. However, on the other hand, the kid killed shouldn't have decided to partake in crime, there is no excuse. We have to weigh this, and taking the life is more severe so in my opinion, go after the LEO. Even if the LEO is not convicted it sends the message out, that LEO will be held accountable for mistakes.

detsarg
12-12-2006, 01:18 PM
This is a tough one and no matter what I hope for only the best for the officer involved.

With that said, many are blaming the prosecutor for doing his job. He simply presented the case to the grand jury. Propriety dictates that when someone dies as a result of law enforcement action the case should go to a grad jury.

Next, as others pointed out, there is nothing to indicate that the officer saw the suspect as a threat. No gun, no flash, etc…

It’s easy for us to Monday morning quarterback and I hope the actual investigation uncovers evidence in the officer’s favor but from the information provided in the news article it does not look good for the officer.

stangfather
12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
this should have never gone up as a murder charge.

he ****ed up sure, but what happened to immunity from prosocution when acting within scope of LE duties??

it was a bad shoot, but murder cmon...doesnt murder require malice aforethought??

SgtCHP
12-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I totally agree with many comments made in this thread.

My feeling is that a selective jury will find him innocent of the charges to convict - if instructed - on a lesser included offense.

He should not be forejudged by his sheriff. He has not been convicted of any crime and should be carried in his position until fairly tired and/or convicted of a felony crime.

If exonerated, he should be reinstated to his full position. This may be a case for departmental discipline; but not criminal prosecution!

Jayc6018
12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Listen a DA can indict a ham sandwich it doesn't mean the officer is going down. However given the facts of the case murder shouldn't be the charge, maybe manslaughter in the 1st or 2nd degree.

Plenty of people have gone to jail for killing someone accidentally.

MFP4073
12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
given the facts of the case murder shouldn't be the charge, maybe manslaughter in the 1st or 2nd degree.

i agree. this is probably "negligent" or more likely "reckless," at best. based upon what i read, murder seems to be shamelessly overcharged in this case. the guy was doing a job and had a reason in his mind for shooting, albeit a mistaken one.

i can't help but think, once again, that good communication skills and equipment might have avoided the entire incident... "okay, stand-by, i'm hitting the door in 3,2..." it makes me feel for our SWAT guys who had to buy their own $30 Cobra radios to talk to one another during ops - true story, and still true today. embarrassingly cheap!!! :mad:

Jayc6018
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
i agree. this is probably "negligent" or more likely "reckless," at best. based upon what i read, murder seems to be shamelessly overcharged in this case. the guy was doing a job and had a reason in his mind for shooting, albeit a mistaken one.

i can't help but think, once again, that good communication skills and equipment might have avoided the entire incident... "okay, stand-by, i'm hitting the door in 3,2..." it makes me feel for our SWAT guys who had to buy their own $30 Cobra radios to talk to one another during ops - true story, and still true today. embarrassingly cheap!!! :mad:

Oh the D.A charged him with murder knowing its the wrong charge and that the officer will get off on a technicality. it happens all the time

MCOP207
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
RALEIGH, N.C. — Officials dismissed a murder charge Tuesday against a sheriff's deputy accused of shooting an unarmed teenager who authorities believed had stolen video game consoles, after a grand jury foreman said he had checked the wrong box on the indictment paperwork.

Kevin_Callahan
12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
http://www.wral.com/news/10519097/detail.html

Grand Jury: Deputy's Indictment In Teen's Slaying A Mistake

POSTED: 4:06 pm EST December 12, 2006
UPDATED: 8:21 pm EST December 12, 2006

WILMINGTON, N.C. -- A day after authorities announced that a former New Hanover County deputy had been indicted in the shooting death of a Durham teen during a raid on a Wilmington home, members of the grand jury now say the indictment was a mistake.

The grand jury never intended to charge Cpl. Christopher Long with second-degree murder, but the foreman testified in court Tuesday that he inadvertently marked the bill of indictment improperly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related: Court Order To Rescind Indictment
Related: District Attorney Statements | Strickland Family Statement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the foreman's admission, Judge Ernest B. Fullwood dismissed the indictment.

There was no word Tuesday evening on whether New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David would bring the case back before a new grand jury next year. In a statement, however, David said he would be meeting with senior members of the state Attorney General's Office in Raleigh on Wednesday to evaluate all options.

Peyton Strickland, 18, a Cape Fear Community College student from Durham, was shot to death Dec. 1 at his Wilmington home by deputies serving arrest and search warrants. Strickland and two friends were charged with assaulting a University of North Carolina at Wilmington student last month and stealing two PlayStation 3 consoles from him.

UNC-W police asked for support from the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office during the arrests of the suspects in the case because of the potential that they were armed and dangerous, authorities said. Strickland had an earlier arrest on a felony assault charge.

Nine heavily armed deputies accompanied UNC-W police to Strickland's home to serve the warrants. Three deputies fired shots into the home, and sources close to the case said they believe several shots were fired before Strickland opened the door.

Long, 34, told investigators he mistook the sound of a battering ram officers were used to break open the front door to the house as gunfire.

Strickland, who was unarmed, died of a gunshot wound to the head.

Don and Kathy Strickland issued a statement Tuesday afternoon calling the latest twist in their son's death "bizarre."

"How can an indictment one day not be an indictment the next? How could this happen?," the statement said. "We are upset, confused and searching for answers."

The family demanded that the judge presiding over the grand jury hold an inquiry into the issue and make the results public.

"If it shows that anyone even attempted to influence the grand jury, we trust charges of obstructing justice will be filed," the statement said.

Long was fired by the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office a week after the shooting.

Two other deputies -- Detective Larry Robinson, 34, and Sgt. Greg Johnson, 39 -- were placed on administrative leave a week ago pending the results of investigations by the State Bureau of Investigation and the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office. They were reinstated Monday after being cleared of wrongdoing in the case.

Ryan David Mills, 20, of Durham, and Braden Delaney Riley, 21, of Apex, have been charged with armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and breaking and entering a motor vehicle in connection with the alleged PlayStation robbery, according to warrants.

Caesar2845
12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
And good sense prevails!

Note to self: don't want SWAT Team at my door, don't commit Agg Robbery or live with someone who does.

djack16
12-12-2006, 09:38 PM
There is still the matter of the officer shooting the teen while he was unarmed. It's horrifying to think of the possibility that they got the wrong house with this type of mistake.

Jayc6018
12-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Ahhhhh I called it as I stated the D.A proably gave them him the wrong charge knowing it will get dismissed on a techincal. Gotta love the Justice system

metcopuk
12-13-2006, 05:25 AM
good riddance! this douсhebag motherfuсker should rot in hell. what kind of dumbass cant tell the difference between a ram and a shot? kill some helpless kid all over a ps3? he will rot in hell just like the rest of them. fuсk cops!

I feel a bit of animosity here. :D

SgtCHP
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
good riddance! this douсhebag motherfuсker should rot in hell. what kind of dumbass cant tell the difference between a ram and a shot? kill some helpless kid all over a ps3? he will rot in hell just like the rest of them. fuсk cops!

Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock! Whasamattah, did your bunk mate reject your advances last night? Too much anger in your young soul. You need to seek some mental counselling or have another toke on that weed pipe. Mellow out!!! ;-)