PDA

View Full Version : Autobahn Here In The U.S

Razor60
10-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you think it'd be a good idea to build an autobahn here in the U.S? I read that the recommended speed limit for Germany's autobahn is 80MPH? The max. speed limit in CA is 65MPH. I feel it's a bit too slow. We should be able to do 75MPH to ease the flow of traffic.

nemesis
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I loved driving on the German autobahns, but I don't think it would be a good idea in the States.

FelixLockhart
10-16-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm going to conditionally say yes. It'd be a great idea, but a lot of American drivers couldn't handle it. In Germany (and most European countries), the licensing process and requirements are far stricter than any US state, even California.

I think it'd be great to have no-limit express-lanes that travel between major cities/destinations (the I-95 corridor comes to mind), but in order to do it without dramatically increasing the number of speed-related deaths, there would either have to be a new license class introduced nationwide, or all license requirements would have to be stepped up nationwide.

So, as nice as it would be, I kinda doubt it would ever happen in the US.

(On the plus side, if we did have no-limit or high-limit speed zones, more departments would get cool sports cars like Corvettes :) )

RabbitMPD
10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
I'd love to have one here in the states but you know that any teenager with a Honda Civic and a spoiler will go out and kill himself after watching Fast and Furious with his buddies.

jdh
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Never happen. There is a reason the Germans pay $5/gal for gas. It is the taxes to pay the up keep on the autobahn.

I voted yes, but on the condition it be a toll system where the users pay the up keep.

eman2k5
10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
in MI on M-59, the speed limit is 70mph so i do about 75mph . i dont anwser the cell phone while driving, dont smoke a cigg while driving and dont listen to the radio. that would be something that us all would have to do to get the 80 mph speed limit. o well if you want the autoban, buy a plan ticket to berlin and have fun...... :D

Prussian
10-16-2006, 09:00 PM
There is a reason the Germans pay $5/gal for gas. It is the taxes to pay the up keep on the autobahn.

The federal budget spends roughly 2 billion Euros on the autobahns, but generates around 50 billion Euros revenue from fuel taxes...

o well if you want the autoban, buy a plan ticket to berlin and have fun......

But please read something about the differences between the US and German road traffic regulations (e.g. right of way) and the meaning of European traffic signs on your flight!

CelticCop
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I run around 75 or so most of the time and I only answer the phone if I have my hands free kit. I have a cd in and do not change it while in motion. I smoke, but keep both hands on the wheel unless I'm taking a pull. Cigs are in my lap and lighter is under my leg. I watch other cars carefully and have not had an accident in the 14 years I've been driving... But then again my dad spent several years in Germany and he taught me to drive.

Dingbat
10-16-2006, 09:41 PM
id love to have one here. I would also love to have the liscensing tests be alot harder to pass and require people over xx(x) age have to take it on a yearly/bi yearly basis. Ive also stood behind this statement. Speed isnt what kills people, its the careless driver behind the wheel. I am the only one that knows my limits of how fast i can go and what my limits are. Yes i speed everyone does, i will never surpass the limits of me or the limits of my cars, which ever happens first(<Mazda RX7 limits > mineso i go up to what my limit is, Nissan sentra limits < mine so i go up to the cars limits).

Careless drivers are the ones that cut people off, dont pay attention while driving, talking on the cellphone, putting on make up and 100 other things that people do that they shouldnt be doing while driving. Those are the people that cause accidents. Not people that safely speed. All the speed does is make an accident worse. its not the cause of the accident.

jdh
10-16-2006, 09:56 PM
The federal budget spends roughly 2 billion Euros on the autobahns, but generates around 50 billion Euros revenue from fuel taxes...

You weren't supposed to tell them that.

It has been 20 years since I was last there. I'm sure things have changed very much in that time.

eman2k5
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM

But please read something about the differences between the US and German road traffic regulations (e.g. right of way) and the meaning of European traffic signs on your flight!

well, i cant afford the ticket now ( tipical poor college student) . I wonder if British Airways has a layaway program :rolleyes:

Prangler
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
For the Metro Detroit folks...we have the Autobahn...we just call it I-696!!

On a serious note...as fun as it would be to go that fast and not have to worry about it...to many stupid people would abuse it and kill themselvs or somone else...or both.

You can have it...just dont put it near my city.

eman2k5
10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
no I like i94 (via i75, )to DTW b4 the superbowl bridge. its a smooth service and NO POTHOLES :) it should be called the MICHABAHN

Prangler
10-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Not a bad spot...but i wasnt talking about roads...I just mean people FLY down 696. I remember going down there at like 80 on day and people were passing me like I was stopped

eman2k5
10-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Not a bad spot...but i wasnt talking about roads...I just mean people FLY down 696. I remember going down there at like 80 on day and people were passing me like I was stopped

very true, i guess it needs more potholes *cough* i mean more reasons for people to slow down.

Oregon Mike
10-17-2006, 01:06 AM
I think good drivers in modern vehicles could safely drive at about 90mph on a freeway. But America is severely lacking in good drivers, and not all of our vehicles go that fast. I drive a 40 year old pickup that can barely keep up on the freeway as it is.

Highway funds would be better spent on increasing capacity on existing roads.

miami-k9
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Germany has made the autobahn successful for a couple of reasons. First, its expensive and really well built, second, Germans and Euros in general have a much better understanding of LANE DISCIPLINE than Americans. If you dont feel like tearing up the road that day then you are expected to get your ***** out of the fast lane. And if your idea of not tearing it up is 100mph, you still arent in the far left lane, you might be in lane 2 or 3. You are expected to get your car over if you even think a car is going to pass you. The LEO's dont play either, they flash their lights and you dont move over quick enough, hefty fine, no t-sig = fine, unsafe equip=towed car and arrest.

I dont think it would work here in the US without road specific Licensing. But then again i believe that special licences along with placards for the vehicles, should be issued that allow proven safe drivers with safety and drivers training the priviledge of greater speed on approved highways. Wont happen though, because tickets generate revenue, and less tickets mean less money in the cofers for $200 meals on the city managers expense debit card.

miami-k9
10-17-2006, 02:27 AM
http://people.smu.edu/acambre/speedlimitfacts/principleDetail.aspx?id=2

I love the internet, you can find all sorts on info in a heartbeat. Check out this site. In 1974 it was a fuel crisis, not issues of safety, that caused lawmakers to pass the 55mph speed limits. Now if you drove any vehicle made in the early 70's these laws might have made some sense. However considering that most any vehicle made in the last 10 years would quite easily and comfortably run at 100 mph all day long, while consuming far less fuel than any of those 70's barges. I think it is high time most states reviewed their stupidly low highway speeds.

I-95, is in most places in my neck of the woods, at least a 8, sometimes 10 lane highway. Its also a 55 mph. Most people do 70-80 simply because that seems the natural rate one should travel on it.

Dont anybody try to quote me any of those fuel consumption analysis concerning fuel consuption and speed, I know. If I wanna burn more fuel at 100 mph, I pay at the pump. If I cannot afford to have a vehicle for towing, one for commuting, one for taking the soccer team to practice and one for going to home depot for mulch, dont whine because you see my driving a Suburban Solo. I pay at the pump.

I am officially OFF Topic.

Dolmen
10-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I don't know about the rest of the states, but in Los Angeles if you actually obey the speed limit on the freeway you're likely to become a hood ornament.

amblnc38
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
As the daughter of a former stock car driver...and someone who knows how to drive at +80mph...hell yes.

But only if there is a special sub-licensing or something, maybe a fancy "toll" road? Not every kid in daddy's Mercedes needs to be on that road.