PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Officers

Ford4v460
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
I am not a slimjim, i am 5'11 200 pounds. I am not round either, i have a 35 inch waist, i bench 300 pounds and run 3 times a week.

It just kills me, that atleast 30% of the officers i see are extremely overweight!
New people are even hired in that are to big. I don't care if you can pass the easy physical test. I want to know if you can hall *** across the yard and still have the breath to help me or others when you get there?

I work with officers that are out of breath just by climbing to the second floor dorm.

Is this just me who believes that there should be some sort of standard for officers to meet, at any age or time in? I mean i dont expect my 50 year old captain to meet the same requirements as me, but he shouldn't be 5'9 and weigh 300 pounds either!

hankrearden2000
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Everyone's got to take the people they can get. Look around you. 30% of people in general are obese. We are becoming a nation of lardasses. Why should prison agencies get all the studs, for a whopping $20,000 to $30,000 a year starting?

drn151
09-26-2006, 09:15 PM
There are a lot of overweight people in ohio corrections and general public. I agree with you there should be some kind physical fitness standards but it won't happen here. I know you are just starting out but chime back in with your weight in a few years, I bet you gain a few pounds. Lets face it there is no physical exertion in this line of work so gaining some weight is fairly common.

Ford4v460
09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Nah, i've vowed to stay away from the state food in the lunch room, lol.

There are alot of people that also are in great shape in our department, older and younger.

I made it sound like everyone was a 700 pound beast, or that being large made you a bad officer which it does not lol. Having a few pounds is ok if you carry yourself well. I am refering to the people who's belly's are so large you can't see their duty belt.

When an officer walks across the yard and up to the second floor and looks like he is going to pass out. Wouldn't that be a safety risk?

I mean yes i am a boot, but i still don't see how anything can justify having custody personel that out of shape.

onceamarine
09-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Overweight Response, I think that there should be some kind of weight standard for correctional officers. Especially if you are required to wear the correctional officers uniform, you should be able to wear it with pride.
Another reason for weight control is for safety standards, you should be able to preform the job as a correctional officer without running out of breath. :confused:

effinggoof
09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
It's actually a positive thing that someone is speaking out about this IMO.

Where I work,( Correctional Service of Canada) there are a lot of revoltingly fat officers.

I know it's sedentary work, often in confined areas and God knows that the poor nutrition that comes with shiftwork and stress not to mention other associated issues like alcohol consumption...

As time goes by I notice that the CO's who have a clear committment to a healthy lifestyle ( physically fit, don't smoke, watch weight) are the ones who age gracefully and seem less burnt out, less bitter and have fewer personal problems.

D.T.O.M
09-27-2006, 04:48 AM
OK well i have to take this from the other side of things.

Im a C/O who is over wieght. Now granted no I do not want to be so, its where I am at right now, and working on getting rid of it. Here is the thing though, I am not one of these fat asses who just sits around all day. I can carry myself well, I do have a decent muscular build, and do nto get out of breathe doing mundane easy things (like stairs). I can hold my own in a fight and can outlast some of the thinner officers.

I think there is a difference between the guysy who can hold their own and do their job safely and those who are just lard asses. BTW im 6'6" 370 lbs, and I still bet I could run faster then some of you smaller guys. Some of us do work out, but are still large. I eat right and work out, but im still big not much I can do to help that. there is something to be said about the guys who are my size who work out like feinds but just cant get rid of it.

cclawdog
09-27-2006, 05:40 AM
10-4 MCSD. I too am of the squishy persuasion, but at the waist only. 315 bench (2 reps btw), dip my weight and occassionally jog. Can't see my belt but the last thing an inmate will see is my fist to his head. :D

KingB
09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I dunno, we have a few large officers at our county jail. Its nice though when we get an aggressive drunk in and we have to fight him. All it takes is our 300 pound guy to come sit on them and they cooperate real quick. :D

Matt-NC
09-28-2006, 07:23 PM
We have a few officers who are a little round in the middle...

I am 36 years old, 5'9" tall, weigh 157 lbs. (fully dressed), 32" waist.

I keep in shape by working out 3-5 times per week. I do lat press (100 lbs. 25x), shoulder press (100 lbs. 20x then 10x), leg press (90 lbs. 15x, right leg only-- trying to strengthen it), do 100 sit-ups, curl dumbbells (20 lbs. 25x each arm), run 1-2 miles (9:07 mile-- I know still slow but working on it), and 10-15 pull-ups. I also do push-ups (50 per set) during TV commercials, and leg-lifts while watching TV.

I figure a few hours a day sitting on my butt during my shift and eating not-so-wonderful food doesn't help, so I try to keep in shape as much as possible.

Matt

DaytonaBeachCO
09-29-2006, 02:58 PM
It's embarassing seeing ridiculously overweight Officers walking around in the same uniform as I wear. I take pride in my Profession and my Uniform and you all should too.

ftlaudcop
10-01-2006, 08:50 AM
in 23 yrs of service, maybe we look for or they stand out more in corrections, or sheriff's deputy's in jail's....i seen the same and equal
amoungst, road patrol and fire service as well,

however, they ( the police and corrections officers ) can and do deliver
emergency ' street justice' when called upon to do so....

bcoffill
10-02-2006, 07:42 PM
be careful what you ask for... do you want to see a 99lb guy comin in for your help or the 350lb guy??? we got both here and ive got to say that its nice to have some weight to throw around...(im aout 230lbs and 6'2") i say if they can get to where they need to be in a good amount of time and still preform well then i dont care...

EDCF_COI
10-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Okay,

I really do get tired of my fellow "employees" (and I use that as generically as possible) where we are supposed to support each other, I am of the overweight/fat persuasion but I tell you what!

I can run anywhere I need to and still fight! I maybe worn out by the time we are done but dangit I can get the job done. Yes it is a really bad thing when some one cannot negotiate stairs with out getting winded, now in their defense and not knowing them MAYBE they have other issues, like asthma or something else but in my opinion if you can't negotiate the stairs then no you are not right for the job. I take pride in my uniform, and yes I am working hard at losing my weight but it takes time. How DARE you say that some one who is overweight/fat DOESN'T take pride in their uniform! I would absolutely not want to work with you. It's bad enough that overweight/fat people have to worry about the inmates (they don't really bother me) but also having to worry about what their fellow security staff thinks about them and ARE you judging that they won't be able to make it because of the way they look?? Or are you basing it off of the fact that they can't walk of the stairs with out getting winded? It has to take a pretty small human being to look at some one and assume that because of the way they work that they can't do the job as well as you!! I have seen people in "better shape" than me who can't do the job 1/2 as well as I can!

I will now step down off of my soap box.

EDCF_COIv

crazyone320
10-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Okay,

I really do get tired of my fellow "employees" (and I use that as generically as possible) where we are supposed to support each other, I am of the overweight/fat persuasion but I tell you what!

I can run anywhere I need to and still fight! I maybe worn out by the time we are done but dangit I can get the job done. Yes it is a really bad thing when some one cannot negotiate stairs with out getting winded, now in their defense and not knowing them MAYBE they have other issues, like asthma or something else but in my opinion if you can't negotiate the stairs then no you are not right for the job. I take pride in my uniform, and yes I am working hard at losing my weight but it takes time. How DARE you say that some one who is overweight/fat DOESN'T take pride in their uniform! I would absolutely not want to work with you. It's bad enough that overweight/fat people have to worry about the inmates (they don't really bother me) but also having to worry about what their fellow security staff thinks about them and ARE you judging that they won't be able to make it because of the way they look?? Or are you basing it off of the fact that they can't walk of the stairs with out getting winded? It has to take a pretty small human being to look at some one and assume that because of the way they work that they can't do the job as well as you!! I have seen people in "better shape" than me who can't do the job 1/2 as well as I can!

I will now step down off of my soap box.

EDCF_COIv
Thank you for making this statment I was also one of the FAT/OVERWEIGHT C.O.'S Four years ago I weighed 510lbs. I ran the staires durring showers,feeding, and could fight with any body that needed help! So i am sick and tired of all this BULL$@&% about OVERWEIGHT/FAT OFFICERS ! To set the record strait I have seen some of these ''FAT'' Officers do a much better job than some of the ''WEIGHT LIFTERS'' Officers do. I HAVE SEEN BOTH DO THIS JOB, AND HAVE SEEN BOTH RUN AT THE FIRST SING OF TROUBLE! So let this one drop and by the way I had a gastricby pass and now weigh 210lbs. at 6' .

Matt-NC
10-03-2006, 07:49 AM
I have no fight with any officer who can do the job to spec and expectation of his/her peers, and won't shirk duty for any reason.

With that said, being someone who has spent the last year getting back into shape and continually working to improve my fitness level, I think that it is better to be in shape than not. There are several officers at my facility who are not the picture of physical fitness, but they come to work each shift ready to work, and do the job. I am confident that these same officers would come running to support me if necessary.

Thus, as C/Os, we need to stand together, because it appears that we are all we have working FOR us out there.

Matt

Stinking Badges
10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I am 5'8" and weigh around 240. I'm definitely overweight, but solid. I was active with CERT until last year. Although I am still technically a part of the team, I don't train with them any more. Not because of being overweight, but because of bone spurs in my hips and knees, and fibromyalgia.

Last year, I relived a C/O who was so fat he couldn't reach enough to wipe his butt. The greasy old fart must have had build up on his cheeks, because he left poop on the toilet seat.

We do need some standards.

ksbrewer
10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
As long as the pay is low, and the profession isn't given respect, the administration has to take what they can get.

hankrearden2000
10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Often prison administrators don't care. Few nowadays come from the security ranks, few value their security staff. Most look at their security staff as one more cost of operation; like food, water, gas, electricity, toilet paper, soap...

To them the 'real' staff are the programs and administrative staff.

DaytonaBeachCO
10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you for making this statment I was also one of the FAT/OVERWEIGHT C.O.'S Four years ago I weighed 510lbs. I ran the staires durring showers,feeding, and could fight with any body that needed help! So i am sick and tired of all this BULL$@&% about OVERWEIGHT/FAT OFFICERS ! To set the record strait I have seen some of these ''FAT'' Officers do a much better job than some of the ''WEIGHT LIFTERS'' Officers do. I HAVE SEEN BOTH DO THIS JOB, AND HAVE SEEN BOTH RUN AT THE FIRST SING OF TROUBLE! So let this one drop and by the way I had a gastricby pass and now weigh 210lbs. at 6' .
Congrats on losing that weight, I'm sure you look and feel a lot better now.

armyman12b
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I agree that there are a lot of REAL overweight folks who have no buisness at all being in corrections, with that said though I think it all boils down to heart...2 different types of people in this world (IMO) those with heart and those without.. Overweight or not..
That muscle bound CO with no heart may not be in too big of a hurry to come to your aid where the overweight CO with heart may be a tad slower, but is willing to take a beating or worse to help you..
Thats my take anyhow, I work with some big guys that i know would be there if I pulled my pin..

T

InspectorGadget
10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah for the fatties!!

I'll go home and have a pint of Guinness in your honor...

right after I get done at the gym!

Ford4v460
10-05-2006, 08:05 PM
There are some interesting responses. I still fail to see what "heart, and all that" has to do to with meeting a standard. Yes, in an emergency i would rather have a round officer with heart help me, than a buff officer who doesn't give a crap. Even with that being said, the extremely overweight officers still need to be in "better" shape, there is no reason for being under 6 feet tall and being 300+ pounds.

NJChris
10-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Instead of people complaining about overweight officers maybe offer some advice and ask them if they would like your help in fixing the situation. :)

oldtimer
10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey guys , ever heard of Middle age spread lol

I have done my apprenticeship and now let the young blokes play , I have done the hard yards time to move over and give the rest a turn.

Having said that , I had occasion where I thought this crook was upto something and directed him to empty his pockets, he took off and me in pursuit chased him from one end of the centre to the other.

When I finally cornered him , it was very much , if you want it come and get it , I was so out of breath I couldn't get the words out over the radio to call the Cert.

Hmm only one thing to do, I went and got it, lucky I won that time and a few bruises later I was victorious.

Only one thing though , when I was young the bruises healed quick and I must admit I didn't mind a bit of a scrap now and again, but now Oooh !!! the pain and it takes forever to heal.

Like I said , give us old blokes a little bit of a break guys , Middle age spread "Hurts!!!! ooh!! my back