PDA

View Full Version : Am I TOO SHORT to be a Police Officer?

txpolice
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Good Afternoon LE Officers of America,
First off I would like to thank you on this signifigant day for all of the work that you do to protect the safety, heath, & security of mine and everyone else's lives on a daily basis. You would be suprised at how much respect, gratitude, & admiration I have for every LE officer out there that puts their own safety out there on the line on a daily basis to protect ours. I speak for everyone when I say "You are HEROES of the United States of America, Thank You .

Now for my question. I would like to start off my giving you a little bit of background to understand the nature of my question. I would only like the testimony & answers of REAL LE officers & I ask that the answers be thorough. I am a freshman @ a LARGE Division-I University in Texas. I am here on a Track scholarship to compete in the sport of Track & Field for the next 4 years. I'am 18 years old and have been considering a career in Law Enforcement since the age of 14 when your instructors advise you to think about the field of work you would like to go into fresh out of college.

I am majoring in Health & Fitness Management with a minor in Business. Physically I am about 5 feet, 5 inches. BUT I'm not your normal 5 feet 5 inch young man. I played football for all four years, I achieved numerous All-District honors, & even made the All-Collin County football team my senior year. I was the special teams MVP 2 years in a row for my football team, and Offensive MVP & Special Teams MVP my senior year also. I was also on the Academic All-District football team my senior year. I was also a powerlifter my 1st 3 years in high school. Regional Qualifier 3 years in a row and ranked #5 in the state in the 132lbs. weight class. Bench: 265lbs. & Squat: 465lbs. Numerous Most Outstanding Lifter awards in the lower weight classes. I run the 40 yard dash in 4.34 seconds and run the 100m in 10.48 seconds.

LE has been somewhat of a calling for me (by which I mean something that I feel like I would do for free). The only thing that I feel has me going back and forth is the subject of my height. Being shorter than 65% of the people that I run into, safety is obviously and issue. I'll be challenged numerous times in my efforts to enforce the law & I am wondering whether or not it is a good idea to go through with being a City Police officer. Even if it is just a reserve, it is something that I would like to do for the rest of my life after college, in the rain, sleet, or snow. It doesnt matter to me.

My Question: Am I too short to effectively enforce the law without my safety constantly being in danger because of my height?

- The only thing that I ask is for thorough answers from real Police Officers with testimony on how my height will play into different kinds of situations.

- Thank You very much for your time
- TXPolice
(Division-I Track & Field)

Bigg Dogg
09-11-2006, 01:23 PM
New federal guidelines for all officers starting in 2007.All new offices will be at least 6'4" and weigh at least 240 lbs.

mac83
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I think you should be fine. I know that I work with guys almost your height that probably aren't in as good of shape as you are. i'm more interested in how much you weigh. there's a difference if you're 5'5'', 130 and if you're 5'5'' 160-170.

your height may result in you being challenged more often you just better be able to handle yourself.

BigRich
09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
New federal guidelines for all officers starting in 2007.All new offices will be at least 6'4" and weigh at least 240 lbs.

But if you're me, who's 6'2" and 275, you're exempt from these new guidelines. Why? Well because you're me, of course. I'm Big Rich. And I'm exempt from all federal guidelines because I'm just so cool.

mfroseth
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
There is absolutely no reason to even be concerned about your height. Most of this job is in the attitude. If you are 5'5" tall and have a meek, quiet personality you are probably in trouble when you get out in the field and have to deal with the thugs on your own. People with strong personalities, which it sounds like you have, generally have no problems keeping situations under control.

RBrodowski
09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
If they have women officers who are 5'1" 110lbs (those are sometimes are the toughest SOBs in the department), you at 5'5" should have no problem.

keith758
09-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm only 4'28" and I've never had a problem! Seriously, your hught will be no detriment. (Unless YOU have a Napoleon complex.)

Deuce
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
If they have women officers who are 5'1" 110lbs (those are sometimes are the toughest SOBs in the department), you at 5'5" should have no problem.

I agree, just don't turn into the short guy with a Napoleon complex. I work with a couple short male officers. Both are as capable as the taller officers, but the one w/ the complex gets less respect from both us and the public.

Bing_Oh
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Yea, definitely avoid the "short man syndrome" if you get into LE.

As for being physically-capable, it shouldn't be a problem. There are still a few departments with height requirements (you woulnd't make it in the Ohio State Highway Patrol), but most do not. In some physical confrontations, height can be a disadvantage...higher center of gravity makes it easier to knock a 6'1 person like me off balance.

rgv_cop
09-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't see it as a problem at all.

cityblusuit
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
There is absolutely no reason to even be concerned about your height. Most of this job is in the attitude. If you are 5'5" tall and have a meek, quiet personality you are probably in trouble when you get out in the field and have to deal with the thugs on your own. People with strong personalities, which it sounds like you have, generally have no problems keeping situations under control.

Many years ago I had an officer on my gang team who proceeded to go on a verbal tirade and harangue one of my team members as to why females shouold not be not the job (THERE IS A POINT I PROMISE). I casually told the officer to knock it off. He kept going thinkning he was being cute. I then ordered him to stop and I finally advised the officer that everytime he see a famale officer he he needs to personally thank her for his job. He had this annoyed and perplexed look in his face and said "why sarge?". I then reminded him that when they allowed women on the job they had to throw out the height requirement. The officer was all of 5'03'. The team laughed at him for nearly a week, but he learned the lesson the hard way and never teased the officer again.

Most cops are hired for reasons that have nothing to do with height. You will be fine!!

Bigg Dogg
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
But if you're me, who's 6'2" and 275, you're exempt from these new guidelines. Why? Well because you're me, of course. I'm Big Rich. And I'm exempt from all federal guidelines because I'm just so cool.

Well,being Big Rich is good,but being the BIGG DOGG,thats all I have to say!!BIGG DOGG!!!

BigRich
09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Well,being Big Rich is good,but being the BIGG DOGG,thats all I have to say!!BIGG DOGG!!!

The only advantage you may have over me, is the fact that as a dog, you can lick your own balls. And I'm not too sure that's something I would want to brag about if I were you. :cool: Now go eat your kibble. Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog. :D

Bigg Dogg
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
The only advantage you may have over me, is the fact that as a dog, you can lick your own balls. And I'm not too sure that's something I would want to brag about if I were you. :cool: Now go eat your kibble. Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog. :D

If I could lick my own balls there wouldn't be no need to keep my wife around!!!!LOL!!! ;) :)

Redders
09-12-2006, 03:31 AM
I went to basic with a 5'0", 110 lbs, kickboxing, hotty hot pants and she literally beat me down in DT fight offs one day. I'm 5'10', and 215 lbs.

As corney as it is, it's not the size of the dog...........you know the rest.

Bigg Dogg
09-12-2006, 03:39 AM
I went to basic with a 5'0", 110 lbs, kickboxing, hotty hot pants and she literally beat me down in DT fight offs one day. I'm 5'10', and 215 lbs.

Thats all good and I do agree mostly,but as far as the Dog goes,when the last time you saw a lap Poodle whoop a full grown man eating Rotweiller?? ;)

Redders
09-12-2006, 04:19 AM
Thats all good and I do agree mostly,but as far as the Dog goes,when the last time you saw a lap Poodle whoop a full grown man eating Rotweiller?? ;)

I watched my 25 lbs red smooth mini dachsund chase a rottweiller out of my mom and dads back yard once. :D :D :D Of coure I don't think the Rottie was a man eater though.

DOAcop38
09-12-2006, 04:20 AM

Redders- its sounds like you mentally held back-i used to take Muy Thai fighting locally and got whupped on by more experienced,smaller fighters also-alot of it had to do with techniques and training, and allowing the opponent to take the "fight to you". but many times pure brute strength will overcome skill, if brute strength is applied right.you catch "hotty pants" with one of your haymakers -and down goes gidget midget.I sincerely doubt that anyone at 5' and 110 could drop YOU with one shot,unless they aimed it rt for the "family stones".......... :cool:

Redders
09-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Redders- its sounds like you mentally held back-i used to take Muy Thai fighting locally and got whupped on by more experienced,smaller fighters also-alot of it had to do with techniques and training, and allowing the opponent to take the "fight to you". but many times pure brute strength will overcome skill, if brute strength is applied right.you catch "hotty pants" with one of your haymakers -and down goes gidget midget.I sincerely doubt that anyone at 5' and 110 could drop YOU with one shot,unless they aimed it rt for the "family stones".......... :cool:

Yeah you got me on that one, training with her was one thing in a controlled environment, street life is another. Hey at least in close quarters she smell nice though. Not like some of those badgers that I went to basic with. *shudder* ;)

09-12-2006, 04:48 AM
If all you are worried about is your hieght you are worrying over nothing