PDA

View Full Version : record expungement

noobs
08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
I have a question about having my record expunged. I was arrested for simple assault a year ago and it was dismissed. I want to apply for a police officer position and would like it absolutely cleared off my record so i don't have to write it down or even have to speak of it. Is it possible to do this? Will it show up in a background investigation even if it is "expunged"? (BTW the arrest was in RI).

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a question about having my record expunged. I was arrested for simple assault a year ago and it was dismissed. I want to apply for a police officer position and would like it absolutely cleared off my record so i don't have to write it down or even have to speak of it. Is it possible to do this? Will it show up in a background investigation? (BTW the arrest was in RI).
There will always be some record of your arrest and/or conviction. If you "forget" to list the incident or lie about it, you are screwed. A good background investigator will find it.

My PD recently fired a guy (the day after he was hired) for the same sort of thing.

Dinosaur32
08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Never gets removed from the FBI records and here in NY agencies have access to your arrest records. we don't expunge records like some other states.

DOAcop38
08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
doesn't matter ,you still have to list it on your application-alot of agencies will not automatically DQ you,especially if you were not formally convicted.BUT there's an issue of "maturity"-bottom line ""adults" don't get into fights, and too many people will yell"i'm defending myself", when they can easily WALK away from trouble,or call for the police or a locations security.

anybody,at any time can get into "trouble", but so you know,be honest and forthright with what happened and let the "chips" fall where they may.If an agency tells you,"no" wait a few yrs -maybe 2 or 3 ,then apply again or elsewhere.......P.S. stay OUT of the Bars and clubs in Rhode Island!!

irishlad2nv
08-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a question about having my record expunged. I was arrested for simple assault a year ago and it was dismissed. I want to apply for a police officer position and would like it absolutely cleared off my record so i don't have to write it down or even have to speak of it. Is it possible to do this? Will it show up in a background investigation even if it is "expunged"? (BTW the arrest was in RI).
Don't even bother wasting your time or the Departments time with applying. You just proved that you don't have any integrity if you "dont want to write it down". You either need to admit to your mistakes or stick to your security job.

Even with your assualt being dismissed, you will have a difficult time getting hired since it was only 1 year ago!

DOAcop38
08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Never gets removed from the FBI records and here in NY agencies have access to your arrest records. we don't expunge records like some other states.

Here in Ca. misd charges can be "bumped" off,upon request to the courts- you basically have to complete the probation then request it.Also- misd records aren't held longer than 5 yrs ,especially if that person hasn't con't to have criminal charges and convictions...

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Here in Ca. misd charges can be "bumped" off,upon request to the courts- you basically have to complete the probation then request it.Also- misd records aren't held longer than 5 yrs ,especially if that person hasn't con't to have criminal charges and convictions...
What about in-house records such as CAD or run logs.

noobs
08-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I let the chips fall where they may and was just recently dismissed from the application process at my hometown department. I passed everything up until the psychological exam-they found me "unsuitable" to be a police officer and i'm pretty sure it was because of this arrest. Its just really difficult to give up on a career i so badly want and have worked so hard for just because of this one damn mistake that makes it all damn near impossible. I only have a couple classes to finish my degree in crim just. too... I'd really rather take my chances on expungement and not bringing up the incident, than going through the whole process all over again just to fail because of a stupid dismissed misdmeanor in my past.

noobs
08-29-2006, 05:27 PM
BTW, found this on a lRI egal site.

1. What is an expungement?

"Expungement of records and records of conviction" means the sealing and retention of all records of a conviction and/or probation and the removal from active files of all records and information relating to conviction and/or probation. G.S. § 12-1.3-1.

2. Do the records just disappear?

No. Any fingerprint, photograph, physical measurements, or other record of identification, taken by or under the direction of the attorney general, the superintendent of state police, the member or members of the police department of any city or town or any other officer authorized by this chapter to take them, of a person under arrest, prior to the final conviction of the person for the offense then charged, shall be destroyed by all offices or departments having the custody or possession within sixty (60) days after there has been an acquittal, dismissal, no true bill, no information, or the person has been otherwise exonerated. The clerk of courts where the exoneration took place will seal all records of the person in the case including all records of the division of criminal identification established by § 12-1-4; provided, that the person shall not have been previously convicted of any felony offense G.S. § 12-1-12.
Persons not exonerated of charges who are granted an order to expunge will have those records subject to the order sealed.

What do you guys think I shoud do in this situation?

irishlad2nv
08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
I let the chips fall where they may and was just recently dismissed from the application process at my hometown department. I passed everything up until the psychological exam-they found me "unsuitable" to be a police officer and i'm pretty sure it was because of this arrest. Its just really difficult to give up on a career i so badly want and have worked so hard for just because of this one damn mistake that makes it all damn near impossible. I only have a couple classes to finish my degree in crim just. too... I'd really rather take my chances on expungement and not bringing up the incident, than going through the whole process all over again just to fail because of a stupid dismissed misdmeanor in my past.
Again, you have just proven that you have no INTEGRITY. You would rather not tell a dept about your arrest and risk the chances...? Go right ahead and you will see yourself get DQ'ed and DQ'ed and so on.

Even if it's "expunged" you still need to tell your BI about the incident or they will find out on their own anyway.

Just do us all a favor and not apply to any LE Dept!

What do you mean "what should you do" I for one think you should not even apply. Go work in a jail or something please!

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 05:29 PM
And you wonder why the other PD dropped you like a bad habit? You need to get your head on straight before you can even think about being a police officer. I don't do well with liars and a lie of ommisson is still a lie...

DOAcop38
08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
What about in-house records such as CAD or run logs.

They are not accesible to other agencies unless there are NCIC,NLETS, then CLETS (the Calif system) or the L.A. county CCHRS -Consolidated criminal history record system -identifiers("CII","LA" Main" numbers that correspond to arrests,crime rpts,persons of interest) that an agency would look at to trace an applicants history.Unless you are applying for an agency you've had run ins with , the agency would know you from joe shmoe on the street.In some Ca counties,like San Diego- their county has a commuication system that even tracks "ped stops" and rpt #s or contacts with certain people, so that if you stop "joe blow" by say, Oceanside PD,your in car mds system can pull up info that he was also stopped recently in National City Pd,approx 30 miles south.they also have joint access to each others in house records ,from what I understand

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
They are not accesible to other agencies unless there are NCIC,NLETS, then CLETS (the Calif system) or the L.A. county CCHRS -Consolidated criminal history record system -identifiers("CII","LA" Main" numbers that correspond to arrests,crime rpts,persons of interest) that an agency would look at to trace an applicants history.Unless you are applying for an agency you've had run ins with , the agency would know you from joe shmoe on the street.In some Ca counties,like San Diego- their county has a commuication system that even tracks "ped stops" and rpt #s or contacts with certain people, so that if you stop "joe blow" by say, Oceanside PD,your in car mds system can pull up info that he was also stopped recently in National City Pd,approx 30 miles south.they also have joint access to each others in house records ,from what I understand
Say I am running a BG on an applicant from your area. Could I ask your PD to search radio and CAD logs for his name and address to see if there were any contacts?

DOAcop38
08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
And you wonder why the other PD dropped you like a bad habit? You need to get your head on straight before you can even think about being a police officer. I don't do well with liars and a lie of ommisson is still a lie...

Ditto- wait a few more yrs, then apply or ask around about positions in other states and see what they say,if you want it that badly.Lie about it and it comes up in a "Brady" or ,here in california, a "pitchess" motion, and you could end up being labelled by local,state and fed courts as an unreliable witness ,as well as Dept liability- and then your chance for a career as a cop are really over.you say you are a security guard? If the state will allow you to work as a certified security guard( you have to have a license in Mass, rt?) try other alternatives until you can reach your goal-i.e. community service offcer,pkg enforcement,school security (non peace officer/police),park ranger,if they are available-something that can show you've worked to prepare and overcome any past problem you have had- you need time to distance yourself from the incident..........

DOAcop38
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Say I am running a BG on an applicant from your area. Could I ask your PD to search radio and CAD logs for his name and address to see if there were any contacts?

Actually ,"yes",but it wouldn't show you all the infor you'd need- short synopsis, disposition ,and in incident # which would help you find a potential arrest or crime rpt

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually ,"yes",but it wouldn't show you all the infor you'd need- short synopsis, disposition ,and in incident # which would help you find a potential arrest or crime rpt
Yeah, that was what I wondering. Thanks.

noobs
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok i guess i'll list it again in my next application, I just figured it was ok to do because it is legal, not because it is such an awful no-integrity thing to do, I just wanted to know what I should expect, but then again, i'm sure Irishlady has never ever done aything as close to as awful as i was asking your advice about, i'm sure ur a perfect ahole.

irishlad2nv
08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Ok i guess i'll list it again in my next application, I just figured it was ok to do because it is legal, not because it is such an awful no-integrity thing to do, I just wanted to know what I should expect, but then again, i'm sure Irishlady has never ever done aything as close to as awful as i was asking your advice about, i'm sure ur a perfect ahole.
Hey kid listen go on home with the childish remarks to my screename...that just being plain immature.

...second, you think it's "legal" to leave an arrest out of an application or Background packet for a Police Department. Wow, you must live in the dark-ages!

When an application says to list "arrest or contact with a police officer", you list them. You don't leave it blank because you think it's "legal" and now I see why they found you "unsuitable".

Again, don't waste a departments time with applying!

noobs
08-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Whats ur problem man, why are u an ahole, if you can't handle the job and have to be a jerk to everybody to deal then go do something else, i was just asking for advice on a topic, not to be put down and told i have no integrity just because I didn't know the facts surrounding my question.

irishlad2nv
08-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Whats ur problem man, why are u an ahole, if you can't handle the job and have to be a jerk to everybody to deal then go do something else, i was just asking for advice on a topic, not to be put down and told i have no integrity just because I didn't know the facts surrounding my question.
I enjoy my job, thats why I am in LE.

I have dealt with people like you for a while now and you show the signs (clearly) on one who has no integrity. You need that to be a LEO.

You asked for advice, but at the sametime when it was given to you, you were still attempting to avoid your arrest. Take the advice given to you by the LEO's in here. It's up to you whether or not you choose to list your arrest, but I am telling you and several others will agree with me, you don't list it and your BI finds out, you won't get hired!

If you so choose to keep calling me an "a-hole" so be it, it's the internet. Good luck in your future...

I

noobs
08-29-2006, 06:21 PM
thanks a-hole

Bigg Dogg
08-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Not trying to cause a debate.But i know of a working police officer that was arrested on a serious charge before he got into law enforcement.He got an expungement.He actually had me try and find any record of it before he tried to start a career in law enforcement.I knew when,where and all the otehr info,but was not able to find any info.He ahs worked for several agencies and has never put it on a aplication.Like he said if he was to put that he was arrested on a bogus charge that was later dropped after the victim stated she made it up to the judge,he would have never been in law enforcement even with the expoungement.Like the Judge doing his case and the expoungement told him,by law he doesn't have to disclose it.So he doesn't and nobody knows except a few that was friends with him when it happened.He even worked for the agency that arrested him on the case.

ptcop531
08-29-2006, 08:51 PM
thanks a-hole

Say good-bye, Noobs.....

Your days are numbered on this forum. ;)

sheriff2004
08-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't understand you. If you ask questions like this, you should expect answers that you may or may not want to hear or listen to, but to disrespect the people on this form isn't a benefit to you. You want to be a police officer, what are you going to do when you encounter a situation on the road that requires to use your mind and not a temper? you going to start cussing and swearing at people instead of getting the situation under controll using your mind? Put some distance between the arrest and the application, put it down, if it's nothing then you have nothing to worry about.

Irshlad----what does get a job in the jail mean? I have several friends who started off in the jail who are excellent officers!!!!!! don't stoop to his level....

Tennsix
08-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I started out working in a jail. It was an excellent experience.

Andersondeputy
08-30-2006, 06:17 AM
For what its worth I work with alot of good guys that omitted things in there hiring. To a certain extent I guess I am one too. I was a complete damn hoodlum when I was a teenager. If I had been caught for half the crap I had done I woulda been under the jail. I got older I grew up, I got married, I went to college and I never spoke of my past. Been working at this a while now and never had any issues. To each his own.

Blackdog F4i
08-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I was a bit of a hoodlum myself, but only "little" stuff. I admitted to everything. Never know when it will bite you in the *** later. Most of the people I did stuff with and to are still alive, and most still live in this city so I figured honesty was the best policy. Amazingly they still hired me.

finaljustice
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey noobs,
There are several local officers in the pd here that have had misdemeanor convictions! People make mistakes man. The officer on here that is giving you a hard time about integrity seems to be one of those type officers that doesn't realize he may make a mistake someday in his life. :eek:
Look man, it is cool you want to be an officer, the key is time frame, departments all have a list of disqualifiers , they vary , example: no domestic battery convictions - this is virtually universal, you can't get a job in law enforcement with this conviction anywhere (which is another topic altogether), no dui's in last 5 years, no misdemeanor convicitions in last 3 years, etc. So, you just need to wait for a year or two, and stay clean...
If you have been convicted, and the charge was dismissed, I don't see a problem..but that is up to the background inv. and the arrest details...but you have no record if the charge was dismissed!!! remember that.

Here is a shock for you, mainly for the officer that is given you all that crap about integrity, he needs to humble himself...
I am a federal officer and went through a federal b.i. and was a local officer before that....news: I was arrested years ago :eek:
Yes, I was arrested like you man, and I was not convicted, I did have the charge expunged.
I discussed this with a criminal lawyer and this has sparked my interest to check it out again. I know the lawyer has told me it is an ethical situation. a) there is no record of my arrrest, court, or anything.
b) the question comes up : Have you ever been arrested?
C) now, there is no record on me (expungement) but do I tell the truth?
D) for my federal b.i. I told the truth...
E) So, don't waste your $$$$$ on an expungement man...you will have your arrest cleared, but then you will have to deny ever being arrested, I have been honest 2 times about this , when there was no record of it, I thought about it, and this is your choice...
The polygraph examiner , who I discussed this with when I went through my polygraph for the city pd, told me it is an ethical thing as well, I told him the truth too! So, he said you threw your $$$ away man :eek: We have several officers here that have misdemeanor convicitions! (This is a very big dept)
Don't waste money on expungement, because you will always have that question: have you ever been arrrested, the expungement can wipe away the arrest record, but then you are faced with the ethical choice..
Bottom line, don't be discouraged, stay clean man, make the right choices, and give it a year or two to show you have made a mistake and, that is not you...Good luck

noobs
08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate it. You're right, I think I'd rather just tell the truth albeit a couple years later when it won't affect me as much instead of hiding things and not being straight up with the people I might one day work along side of.