PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies....

Dolmen
08-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok, so I ride a crotch rocket, and I don't pull wheelies, well, not on purpose anyway :) (the first time I pulled a very unexpected wheelie coming off a roundabout and wound up in hospital. Now I'm a slow learner, but even I figured out that they're generally a bad idea on the street, don't even get me started on the jackasses I've seen pulling them on the freeways or in traffic here).

I was just wondering what exactly they fall under in the vehicle code in California? Reckless? Exhibition of speed? (I know a friend of mine talked his ticket down to an "unsafe start" because of an accidental wheelie pulling away from lights).

Would it have to be a full-on intentional wheelie to draw an officer's attention or would a simple loft of the front wheel under acceleration do it? (obviously if you're speeding to start with that's a problem, but I don't believe there's a law against acceleration yet).

SgtScott31
08-25-2006, 11:26 PM
If you're accelerating fast enough to pop a wheelie, regardless of how long the front wheel is off the road, I would say you would definitely grab a LEO's attention.

imtherookie
08-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Well first off let me say my opinion kinda has a bias since i too ride a crotch rocket...If i see the operator did it on accident (you can tell) i would stop him and just calm him down make sure he was ok, and that he had a endorsement. No ticket woudl be issued...If i saw one riding a stand up at 100 for a mile i would ticket him....see the difference?

Dolmen
08-26-2006, 05:12 AM
If you're accelerating fast enough to pop a wheelie, regardless of how long the front wheel is off the road, I would say you would definitely grab a LEO's attention.
I appreciate your point, but without speeding, acceleration is the only way I can keep myself away from other vehicles, sometimes that means I occasionally get light at the front end, but it never means I'm out of control.

Bing_Oh
08-26-2006, 08:09 AM
A wheelie gets a Willful and Wanton Disregard of Safety (aka, Reckless Operation) from me here in Ohio. No matter the reason, you're removing the wheel which controls the direction of the motorcycle from the pavement. In other words, you have no control over your direction when your front wheel is off the ground. I can't imagine many more dangerous actions on a motor vehicle.

Fuzz
08-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I issue Reckless driving tickets to those who pull wheelies. Public roads are not the place for your stunt driving and I am tired of responding to motorcycle down collisions. Take it to the track or other sponsored event.

Dolmen
08-26-2006, 03:35 PM
A wheelie gets a Willful and Wanton Disregard of Safety (aka, Reckless Operation) from me here in Ohio. No matter the reason, you're removing the wheel which controls the direction of the motorcycle from the pavement. In other words, you have no control over your direction when your front wheel is off the ground. I can't imagine many more dangerous actions on a motor vehicle.
Given that I live in the land of people who love to drive 3 ton SUVs whilst having animated cellphone conversations with their agent, I'll beg to differ :)

I can definitely see your point, but you won't find me accelerating hard in any situation where I'm not in complete control of my immediate surroundings.

I issue Reckless driving tickets to those who pull wheelies. Public roads are not the place for your stunt driving and I am tired of responding to motorcycle down collisions. Take it to the track or other sponsored event.
They're not my wheelies :) As I say, I never deliberately wheelie, at most I might get the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground once in a blue moon (seriously, in 10 years of riding, I can count the number of times on one hand), usually because I've twisted the loud handle a little more than I was planning to.

As far as those Biker Boyz idiots who do stand up wheelies in heavy traffic on the freeway, throw the book at them, that kind of nonsense has absolutely no place on a public road.

Fuzz
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
They're not my wheelies :) As I say, I never deliberately wheelie, at most I might get the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground once in a blue moon (seriously, in 10 years of riding, I can count the number of times on one hand), usually because I've twisted the loud handle a little more than I was planning to.

It's hard to convey the tone of a post on the internet.......my post was meant to be a general comment to the stunt riders out on the streets who usually run from us and not necessarily you directly. Be careful on the street though because the front tire even a few inches off the ground can be trouble when it touches pavement again.

Blackdog F4i
08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I ride a SPORTBIKE....crotch rockets sounds like something you pickup from a unclean woman.

That being said if you are lofting the wheel under acceleration you:

1. Meant to do it...
2. Don't know what the hell you are doing.

Either way you deserve the ticket. For me it would be Reckless Driving or Criminal Recklessness depending on exactly what happened. It could also be cited as "Unsafe Start".

Stunting has no place on public roads and gives the rest of us riders a bad name.

Dolmen
08-26-2006, 07:10 PM
It's hard to convey the tone of a post on the internet.......my post was meant to be a general comment to the stunt riders out on the streets who usually run from us and not necessarily you directly. Be careful on the street though because the front tire even a few inches off the ground can be trouble when it touches pavement again.
Gotcha, as I say, I generally don't do it if I can help it, but occasionally I want to get the hell away from some imbecile riding my tailpipe (anything from a Corvette to a Humvee, I don't want to have to trust that this guy is paying enough attention to stop quickly enough to not run me over) so I'll give it a handful and sometimes the front wheel comes up a little (we're literally talking a couple of inches and less than 2 seconds here), it's definitely not something I'm making a habit of, I'm generally very slow on the roll on because the roads I ride don't lend themselves to hard acceleration in a straight line.

I was just curious as to exactly what law I was breaking on the few occasions I'm doing it, similarly, I don't drag knee on the street either, but I guess that would be classified under the same things? Reckless driving?

Stunting has no place on public roads and gives the rest of us riders a bad name.
I agree wholeheartedly, when I'm talking about lofting the front wheel, I'm literally just saying that under acceleration the front wheel may leave the pavement for a very brief period of time especially if you hit a bump in the road while you're doing it, I was just curious as to whether this would result in the same charge as one of those jackasses doing a near vertical wheelie on the freeway.

I guess "lifting" would be a better word, "lofting" suggests that you're getting the front wheel WAY off the ground by pulling a deliberate wheelie.