PDA

View Full Version : Officer Errors on Police Reports

badge1024
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I realize that the police officers word 99.999 percent of the time overrules the citizens word but what happens if the police officer were to make a genuine error on a police report and is refusing to admit it? What recourse does a person have?

Example: a person gets into a car accident, they clearly inform the officer that they were in the left hand lane making a left turn when the accident occurred and the other guy blew a red light and hit you. A couple hours later at the end of the shift, the officer writes a narrative stating that you informed the officer you were in the right hand lane making a right turn....which obviously is not what you originally informed the officer happened in the first place. Now the officer either doesnt remember, remembers wrong, or is too embarassed to admit his/her error that they made.

What can a citizen do? I know that usually police reports are set in stone but that officers can add a supplemental report onto it. If admitting error on his behalf makes him look bad, but it was truly a genuine error, what happens?

Soon2Be
08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I realize that the police officers word 99.999 percent of the time overrules the citizens word but what happens if the police officer were to make a genuine error on a police report and is refusing to admit it? What recourse does a person have?

Example: a person gets into a car accident, they clearly inform the officer that they were in the left hand lane making a left turn when the accident occurred and the other guy blew a red light and hit you. A couple hours later at the end of the shift, the officer writes a narrative stating that you informed the officer you were in the right hand lane making a right turn....which obviously is not what you originally informed the officer happened in the first place. Now the officer either doesnt remember, remembers wrong, or is too embarassed to admit his/her error that they made.

What can a citizen do? I know that usually police reports are set in stone but that officers can add a supplemental report onto it. If admitting error on his behalf makes him look bad, but it was truly a genuine error, what happens?In this scenario - I'd take pictures of the damage to my vehicle clearly showing it to be IMPOSSIBLE that I was in a right turn lane making a right turn. The evidence supports my side of the story. Simple as that.

badge1024
08-24-2006, 01:33 PM
No, I mean if there was no picture evidence, it was just an example

Soon2Be
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Then I'd write it down, and keep it with my documentation of the damage and work being done to repair such damage. Pretty simple.

Contact
08-24-2006, 01:37 PM

If the only evidence you have is the officers police report, you're going to lose your case.

Worst case scenero, buy a disposable camera and take some pictures after the fact. A lot of people take pictures with their camera phones right there on the spot. I'd take photos of the other vehicle as well.

badge1024
08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
lol, people, i thank you for taking the time to respond, but youre getting it wrong. forget the entire car accident scenario. what if a cop just made a serious mistake on the police report and they dont wanna admit it because it will make them look horrible? as a simple fact, officers are human and mistakes can be made. is there any way to go higher up than the officer and at least have something added in the report that the report accuracy is being disputed????? or at least look at the officers history and see that theyve made multiple report errors in the past?

Soon2Be
08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
lol, people, i thank you for taking the time to respond, but youre getting it wrong. forget the entire car accident scenario. what if a cop just made a serious mistake on the police report and they dont wanna admit it because it will make them look horrible? as a simple fact, officers are human and mistakes can be made. is there any way to go higher up than the officer and at least have something added in the report that the report accuracy is being disputed????? or at least look at the officers history and see that theyve made multiple report errors in the past?
There is a complaint system, where I work. Most services, I imagine, have a system where you can file a complaint. I'm sure it would help if you sugar-coated your statement, though. "I'm sure Officer. X didn't mean to make that error, but I never said what he quoted me as saying. Here's what I actually said. '(insert quote here)'.

Then again, if you're not being charged or ticketed because of said problem, is there really an issue?

badge1024
08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
....you as an officer im sure know that EVERY SINGLE WORD counts....its called the court system.....entire cases and literally millions of dollars can be lost on a simple error or slip of the tongue. Thats all i need, an officer refusing to admit error for whatever reason. An ego trip can cost millions

irishlad2nv
08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
....you as an officer im sure know that EVERY SINGLE WORD counts....its called the court system.....entire cases and literally millions of dollars can be lost on a simple error or slip of the tongue. Thats all i need, an officer refusing to admit error for whatever reason. An ego trip can cost millions
Badge...or whatever your screename is..listen. Errors happen. Will a simple error in a traffic accident report costs millions? Doubt it, since actually it's going to be an auto insurance company that does their investigation for the victims or whoever was at fault...errors happen...chill out!

Your profile says loss prevention officer...have you ever made a bad-stop or made a mistake in a write up on what actually occurred or did you add in some things to your report to make your stop look legit/legal?

"every single work counts"..is not "called the court system" where you got that from, I have no clue.

Chill out and take the advice or comments from this thread you started and learn from it, if thats what your point is, or if it's to bash the cops on here, I would suggest leaving now. :confused:

Mitchell_in_CT
08-24-2006, 02:39 PM

What can a citizen do? I know that usually police reports are set in stone but that officers can add a supplemental report onto it. If admitting error on his behalf makes him look bad, but it was truly a genuine error, what happens?

If their is a lawsuit, you do a deposition of the officer, question him carefuly and help him come to the realization on his own that he was in error when writing his report as it does not dovetail with the insurance adjuster's data or the repairs from the body shop.

Ask him to file a supplimental report, and let that be the end of it.

No biggie.

JeffroPoPo
08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
He asks a question then gets mad when professionals in the subject matter answer them not to his liking.

Soon2Be
08-24-2006, 03:15 PM
....you as an officer im sure know that EVERY SINGLE WORD counts....its called the court system.....entire cases and literally millions of dollars can be lost on a simple error or slip of the tongue. Thats all i need, an officer refusing to admit error for whatever reason. An ego trip can cost millionsDid you even bother to look at my profile? I am not an officer, nor did I ever claim to be. This isn't in the Ask-a-cop section, so anyone can respond.

SHERIFF
08-24-2006, 03:27 PM

None at all.

TX Heat
08-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Every cop has a supervisor. Call in and meet that officer's supervisor and try to work it out.

badge1024
08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
wow, the amount of miscommunication that occurs over the internet.....

IRISHLAD- one, my reports are flawless, two, if i did make an error, i would FIX it immediately even if it made me look bad or made my company look bad

MITCHELL- the officer writing a supplemental report would mean having that officer admit error......this officer is REFUSING to admit error because he does not want to look bad

JEFFRO- what the? its not me not liking the answer, its that there is miscommunication and theyre not understanding my question smart guy!

SHERIFF- there is ALWAYS a recourse, just trying to figure out what it is, believe me, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, you have to raise hell and if an error was committed then i WILL get it fixed :D

TXHEAT- unfortunately the department in my unnamed town is the joke of all other police departments (no joke, the second i meantion my town, officers immediately say "sh**, im sorry" and laugh about me living there), meeting with the supervisor will either not be allowed or will get me nowhere

SHERIFF
08-24-2006, 04:22 PM
SHERIFF- there is ALWAYS a recourse, just trying to figure out what it is, believe me, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, you have to raise hell and if an error was committed then i WILL get it fixed :D

Wrong. And once again I will use a person experience to prove my point.

I was stopped one evening because a rook felt the window tint on one of my personal vehicles exceeded legal limits. The tint did indeed exceed the legal limits. But I had a special exemption certificate from the Virginia State Police for my tint in the vehicle.

The rook claimed the Virginia State Police tint exemption certificate was a forgery and he was going to charge me with felony forgery. :rolleyes:

The situation intensified from simple rook traffic stop to an actual false arrest. His report indicated he stopped me for "expired license plates". This statement itself proved he was telling much less than the truth from the very beginning. I had Washington, D.C. presidential inauguration license plates on my car at the time, and the expiration date was as small as the type in this reply. You couldn't read the expiration date until you were 2 to 3 feet from the car on foot. He was never closer than 50 feet to my car before he activated his blue lights and siren in rook mode.

To make a long story short, he knew damn well false arrest lawsuits were pending before he committed perjury in front of the magistrate to get the warrants for me. Do you think there was ever any chance of getting him to amend or correct his report? No. Not that it really mattered of course. He had already made his bed and was getting ready to sleep in it.

All of the warrants were laughed out of court, lawsuits were filed, and after fighting me tooth and nail for over 5 years, his employer settled the lawsuits as soon as the judge set a jury trial date for my claims. And the report still reads he stopped me for expired license plates.

So don't use the word ALWAYS in your debate, and capitalize it as if it's got to be correct cause you said so. :D

kirch
08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
A think a lot of this has to do with the way in which you pose your objection.

If you approach the officer/court and say, "THAT F***ER LIED!", you're not likely to get much cooperation from anyone.

On the other hand, if you approach them with something like, "I believe the office may have misheard or misunderstood me at the scene. I stated to the officer that I was in the LEFT lane, not the right, as the report indicates. I'm willing to accept whatever culpability I might have in this incident, but this should probably be correct before judgment is passed."

the Chools
08-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Badge, how come you don't accept PMs? I have a comment/ experience, but would prefer to say it privately. And this is the SECOND TIME I've wanted to PM you. Come on! Turn off your "no PMs thingie."

Slowing-Dee
08-25-2006, 12:35 AM
In this scenario - I'd take pictures of the damage to my vehicle clearly showing it to be IMPOSSIBLE that I was in a right turn lane making a right turn. The evidence supports my side of the story. Simple as that.

I was just going to say that.

irishlad2nv
08-25-2006, 12:44 AM
wow, the amount of miscommunication that occurs over the internet.....

IRISHLAD- one, my reports are flawless, two, if i did make an error, i would FIX it immediately even if it made me look bad or made my company look bad

MITCHELL- the officer writing a supplemental report would mean having that officer admit error......this officer is REFUSING to admit error because he does not want to look bad

JEFFRO- what the? its not me not liking the answer, its that there is miscommunication and theyre not understanding my question smart guy!

TXHEAT- unfortunately the department in my unnamed town is the joke of all other police departments (no joke, the second i meantion my town, officers immediately say "sh**, im sorry" and laugh about me living there), meeting with the supervisor will either not be allowed or will get me nowhere
Did some cop **** in your Wheaties this morning or do you just have it out for cops in General?

It's obvious that something happened either to you or someone you know or you would not be in here pointing out something so small and obselete to LE that are on here. Listen, Mistakes happen, thats part of working anywhere. Do you not think that Bill Gates hasn't made a mistake or even our glorious Prez..? I am sure and just admit it, you may have made a boo-boo here or there sometime in your "career" in LP work?

Cops make mistakes, Doctors make them...you gonna go around bashing them as well? Just move on...

JeffroPoPo
08-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Haha, the internet is making you mad. Owned.

derekpa
08-25-2006, 06:51 AM

Ok we will get away from the whole accident scenerio because it was a little off. I mean what if a UFO landed on my lawn. Seriously though this is why your notebook is such an important tool to have. While on scene you will usually see an officer writing down facts of the incident or offense. They will then usually repeat the facts given to them by you the complainant several times in an effort to ensure they are understanding you. This helps limit errors that you are speaking of. They will then give you a card with there name and phone number on it as well as the report number. This way if there is a mistake contact them, walk into the office with a copy of the report that you can obtain there, and explain whatever it is that you have in question. The whole statement of file a complaint is completely ridiculous to me.

scratch13
08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Wrong. And once again I will use a person experience to prove my point.

I was stopped one evening because a rook felt the window tint on one of my personal vehicles exceeded legal limits. The tint did indeed exceed the legal limits. But I had a special exemption certificate from the Virginia State Police for my tint in the vehicle.
The rook claimed the Virginia State Police tint exemption certificate was a forgery and he was going to charge me with felony forgery. :rolleyes:

The situation intensified from simple rook traffic stop to an actual false arrest. His report indicated he stopped me for "expired license plates". This statement itself proved he was telling much less than the truth from the very beginning. I had Washington, D.C. presidential inauguration license plates on my car at the time, and the expiration date was as small as the type in this reply. You couldn't read the expiration date until you were 2 to 3 feet from the car on foot. He was never closer than 50 feet to my car before he activated his blue lights and siren in rook mode.

To make a long story short, he knew damn well false arrest lawsuits were pending before he committed perjury in front of the magistrate to get the warrants for me. Do you think there was ever any chance of getting him to amend or correct his report? No. Not that it really mattered of course. He had already made his bed and was getting ready to sleep in it.

All of the warrants were laughed out of court, lawsuits were filed, and after fighting me tooth and nail for over 5 years, his employer settled the lawsuits as soon as the judge set a jury trial date for my claims. And the report still reads he stopped me for expired license plates.

So don't use the word ALWAYS in your debate, and capitalize it as if it's got to be correct cause you said so. :D

You were not stopped because a "rook felt" something. By your own admission, the Officer was correct; your tint was not in compliance.

So you say the Officer made up the fact that your certificate was "forged." Now why would any old officer off the street just make something up. Especially if he would know that evidence would HAVE to come up in court. Sounds like we are really only getting one side of the story.
So you are also stating that anyone with these special license plates are exempted from examination. If, again by your admission, one cannot read the date on the decal, then this would be a valid stop. If he cannot see it, then it is not there. This seems like an admin problem that you should take up with the decal office for them to rectify.
We as police officers know that just because charges are dropped, it does not always mean there was not a basis for charges. Politics get played a lot in the judicial system. "Just drop the charges so the nut will go away" has been said before in almost every police department/DA's office I would bet. The same applies to lawsuits. Why waste 20,000 fighting something when a couple grand can make it go away. I do not agree with this, but it happens quite frequently.
My guess is that there is some history between these 2 or sheriff was acting like a fool. Either way, this does not sound like a rookie thing despite what sheriff says. Maybe because he can no longer be, he feels he must try and pick on those that just became??????

scratch13
08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
My suggestion is just ask for an officer to add to the report. I get calls all the time to take a report saying: "the victim/driver stated that instead of X, Y happened." No big deal.

badge1024
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
DEREKPA and SCRATCH13- LOL, like i had written before.....if only i live in a nice jurisdiction...where the officers were friendly, professional, wrote everything down in their notepads for accuracy, handed me their business card, informed me of the report number, were offering to add a supplemental report, were offering to listen to what I had to say, were offering for me to be able to speak with their supervisor, were basically offering to do the most basic things.

and SHERIFF-....doesnt your story prove my point? you really didnt get into trouble, he was wrong, and he probably got yelled at for it. and didnt you also meantion a court settlement? you fought it and you got results

badge1024
08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
THE CHOOLS- Sorry, no more Private Messages for me, I was done dealing with playground child like insults from obcessive people, not saying you are one but just in general, sorry.

trooperden
08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
I always investigated my crashes as if the drivers were killed and there were no witnesses. Thus, I would only have availavle the damage of the vehicle, pavement and any other things such as trees, sidewalks, mailboxes, tire marks etc.. I was a reconstructionist and at every crash site there is a story to be told. In short the damage to the vehicle would clearly show position at impace and at separation

SHERIFF
08-25-2006, 05:10 PM
and SHERIFF-....doesnt your story prove my point? you really didnt get into trouble, he was wrong, and he probably got yelled at for it. and didnt you also meantion a court settlement? you fought it and you got results

Let me see, I will answe in the order you asked

I guess my story proves some point. :D

The rook was taken out of patrol. The department called it a "promotion" and stuck him in a high school as a school resource officer. He didn't last long there either.

I did indeed mention them wanting to settle before the "truth" was laid out in front of a jury, and the media sitting on the front row.

Of course I fought it and got results. I was driving down the street minding my own business and was not violating any traffic or criminal laws. While the license plate decal was indeed expired, the White House had extended the actual expiration date on the registrations for 30 days because they were 30 days late in getting the tags out to everybody that year. My tint was legal because I had a Virginia State Police exemption. Instead of the rook getting back in his car and shutting up, he started making up violations.

TX Heat
08-25-2006, 06:07 PM
badge you refuse to take the simple advice saying you "know" it wouldn't work to call the supervisor. You could hire a lawyer but the first thing they would ask is if you talked to his supervisor.
You continue to try and stir the pot anyway.
I suspect an anti-police troll here. :mad:

badge1024
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
txheat- N.E.V.E.R. assume anything! :).........lets think about this one.....wait......here it comes.......i know it wont work because ive already tried talking to the supervisor and like ive said before....dont you get it.....my town is a joke of ALL other police departments....all other cops have pity on our residents!

irishlad2nv
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
txheat- N.E.V.E.R. assume anything! :).........lets think about this one.....wait......here it comes.......i know it wont work because ive already tried talking to the supervisor and like ive said before....dont you get it.....my town is a joke of ALL other police departments....all other cops have pity on our residents!
Badge, it's very obvious that you think your local Police department is a joke, however, you should not come in here and "bash" them in a public forum.

Let's assume that an Officer made a mistake. So what, it happens. Are you a LEO? No, so then sit back and soak up this information I am going to give you...you are not trained as a LEO nor work as one, so you do not know what exactly goes on with-in a LE Department, do you? If not, chill out and either continue doing your job as a security person and let them do their job, as a Police Officer...chill out. You are going way overboard over nothing!

badge1024
08-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Badge, it's very obvious that you think your local Police department is a joke, however, you should not come in here and "bash" them in a public forum.

Let's assume that an Officer made a mistake. So what, it happens. Are you a LEO? No, so then sit back and soak up this information I am going to give you...you are not trained as a LEO nor work as one, so you do not know what exactly goes on with-in a LE Department, do you? If not, chill out and either continue doing your job as a security person and let them do their job, as a Police Officer...chill out. You are going way overboard over nothing!

1) the officer made a mistake and is refusing to admit it over an ego situation and making himself look bad. he is required by oath to tell the truth, he is not doing so.
2) i have NO problem with police officers, if you knew the department, WHICH YOU DONT, then you would more than understand the situation as your "brothers" FULLY agree that the department is an extremely poor example and makes all other look bad.
3) im DONE arguing with you people when you have NO CLUE as to the caliber of people i am dealing with. Surrounding departments are A+ and are given awards that are well deserved. what part of "other cops laugh at my local department" DO YOU NOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND? it has zero to do with "security" it has to do with facts spoken by other sworn police officers and how IAB and multiple lawsuits against them just seem to be magically appearing on a weekly basis. how no other officer wants to work with that department......are you getting the idea Mr Irish???

irishlad2nv
08-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Then quit complaining in here and go file a complaint.

My advice, knock it off with the quirky remarks towards LE and screenames.

You have a pattern on this forum of making LE look bad in situations that you have been in.

Chill out.

badge1024
08-25-2006, 06:41 PM
irishlad- you make too many assumptions, thanks for playing and have a nice day. ::BLOCKED::...ahh, that feels better