PDA

View Full Version : What's a "Registered" Gun?

the Chools
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
You always hear about "registered" guns. But what exactly is that? If you own a gun, are you supposed to register it? With whom? Why? And how? Is there a number inscribed on each gun somewhere?

I own three guns. Please tell me if any of these is going to get me in trouble:

I have a .22 magnum revolver that I bought fair and square from a hunting-goods store in Houston years ago. The store took my information when I bought it, but I never went to any police station to register it.

Then there's an old .410 shotgun that was given to me by an ex-boyfriend. I assume he got it from his father, but there's no "paper trail" on that one.

I also own a .38 that another ex gave me. (Hey - you've just gotta date the right guys! :D ) He described it as the kind of gun that "if you ever have to use it, shoot the b*****d, then throw the gun away in a river." :eek: That guy grew up rough, and he always talked in codes; I have no idea what he meant.

JLR80
08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I wish I could date a few women who drop me an extra gun every now and then when they're done using it..geesh. :D

Mitchell_in_CT
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
If you buy a gun retail, you fill out a form 4473 from the BATFE and the required state paperwork, if any. That's registered. If someone needed to look, and had the access to the paperwork, they could find that you own X weapon.

Some states require private sales to be registered; Connecticut does for pistol and long guns, but waives the paperwork requirement for people with carry permits on long guns.

Some states do not require any registration other than retail sales, person to person sales are not regulated with paperwork.

The .38 your ex gave you...lets hope it wasn't stolen or "used"...

eman2k5
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
you should bring in your handguns to the police dept in a locked gun case, than register it with them. THAT IS STATE LAW IN MI

armoredman
08-17-2006, 11:23 AM
AZ is a Free state, no registraion, licensing, etc.

eman2k5
08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Im starting to like AZ

1042 Trooper
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
AZ is a Free state, no registraion, licensing, etc.
Same here. No stinking registration required. God Bless America.

Wyoming is, what America was. And yes, men are men and sheep are nervous.

KenW.
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Not to appear too constutionalist, but every citizen's "license" is the 2nd Amendment. Too bad some states do not see it that way.

In my state we don't register guns either. The only other requirement is if you wish to carry concealed; and then you still needn't register with the state or even fire the weapon in question.

Sir Vezza
08-17-2006, 01:20 PM
To answer the OPs question… there is no registration requirement in Texas. The reason you hear about “registered guns” is because you hear it on TV and in movies. That is because most shows are produced in liberal states where gun ownership is made difficult for law abiding citizens. Not to get into the whole 2nd amendment debate but there are two separate and distinct camps in the “gun ownership” world. One thinks that you have the right to own any gun you’d like and the government should never know what you own, lest they come take them away! The other feels no ordinary citizen should own guns because guns kill people (not the person using the gun) and gosh that’s just wrong! To answer your other question, yes, all guns do have a serial number stamped on them. If that .38 does not or it looks like it was filed off…you might want to drop it in the river now!

Sir Vezza
08-17-2006, 01:29 PM
you should bring in your handguns to the police dept in a locked gun case, than register it with them. THAT IS STATE LAW IN MI
Oh yeah...if you live in Texas and you do this the DPS trooper is gonna look at you and say, "Boy, you ain't from round here are you?"

badge1024
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
to answer your question, im not too sure about certain requirements making you bring a gun to a police station (Horrible Idea...Horrible) but here in IL, you need a Firearm Owners ID Card (FOID)....you want to buy a new or used gun from a gun store, there is a waiting period to make sure nothing has changed since you last updated your FOID card. once the waiting period has passed and youve been approved, you can purchase the gun. Each gun has a serial number on it and is registered when you purchase the gun. *Illegal to own a gun with no serial number on it (scratched off). *Illegal to own a stolen gun or a gun that is not registered to you (as in your ex boyfriends gun that was probably stolen and passed along to multiple different people). *Illegal to carry any gun on you. lol i suggest you call your local police department, inform them that you'd like to forfeit some firearms in your possession and they will send over a uniformed officer to pick up the weapons. Just dont be suprised when some of those shady weapons show up as being used in a robbery or murder, lol

VA Dutch
08-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I own a gun that has no serial number on it -- because the revolver is too old and was made before they started stamping them. It is a family heirloom, but still works quite well whenever it is fired.
:eek:

In VA, you don't need to "register" a gun - aside from filling out the necessary forms at the gun dealer when you purchase it. Our concealed-carry permits are good for either type (revolver or semi-auto) of handgun, so there is no need to "register" a particular gun the way you might in some states. Your permit will "let" you pack a little .22 or a huge .45 - depending upon your needs, the climate, your clothing, etc., etc.

Now, if we could just get the bad guys to register their guns, we would be better off and have less crime.
:)

Some cynical folks out there believe that registration = confiscation. Judging by history, they may not be that far off base. Do you really want the government knowing where every weapon is? Not a good idea, folks.

10-31Mike
08-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Virginia here.

The only "registered" guns I know of are machine guns.

If anyone else tells me their gun is "registered" I pretty much know that they're a criminal. Because there's no such thing.

djack16
08-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Not to appear too constutionalist, but every citizen's "license" is the 2nd Amendment. Too bad some states do not see it that way.
In my state we don't register guns either. The only other requirement is if you wish to carry concealed; and then you still needn't register with the state or even fire the weapon in question.
Well if that is the case how come our government is interfering with the ownership of guns by violent felons? To my knowledge the constitution says nothing about restricting violent felons. :confused:

10-31Mike
08-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Well if that is the case how come our government is interfering with the ownership of guns by violent felons? To my knowledge the constitution says nothing about restricting violent felons. :confused:

The government isn't interfering with gun ownership by violent felons. Lots of them have guns. The government only bothers violent felons when they get caught doing something stupid.

What does the constitution say about felons voting?

djack16
08-18-2006, 12:34 AM
The government isn't interfering with gun ownership by violent felons. Lots of them have guns. The government only bothers violent felons when they get caught doing something stupid.

The point is legally they aren't allowed to own guns any more. Felons voting is also a good point.

nitromt
08-18-2006, 11:05 AM
The point is legally they aren't allowed to own guns any more. Felons voting is also a good point.
...And what has that piece of paper done? Gun legislation is ineffective because the people it targets are criminals, who, by definition, don't follow laws.

Tunkle
08-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm still wondering where the 2 ex's are.

Seems everybody has a negative aspect on registering guns. Have you looked at it as us, the police, finding a gun on an individual and it came back with YOUR name on it and we returned it to you after processing as evidence? By finding that gun, we've identified a possible suspect who broke into your home to steal it, re-arranged the contents in your home, and stole the Buick that was sitting in the driveway?

I know, I know, you can keep this information (serial number, model, make) all on a 3x5 index card and tuck it away. How many times have we called the "registered" owner and asked him if he knows where his gun is? I know I have on numerous occassions where Jr. was a crackhead and it was fast cash for rock.

Just food for thought....

armoredman
08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Did you know it had been legally upheld that a felon cannot be charged for failing to register a firearm? Yep, it's "self incrimination" under the 5th Amendment. Registration is ONLY for the law abiding. Haynes vs US 390 US 85 1968.
As for serial numbers, they were not required until the Gun Control Act of 1968. Before that, many firearms sere serialized, but not required to be so marked. if you wish a genuine serial number on your legally non serialized firearm, BATFE will happily engrave your classic with an official US Govt. serial number...

Raiden
08-18-2006, 05:37 PM

Good thought!

If I am not mistaken, Constitutionally, they can own firearms, but according to the 9th and 10th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution,

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

With regard to felons, it is the individual states that have the power to dictate whether a felon can own a gun; it is the same as with voting.

Mitchell_in_CT
08-18-2006, 05:55 PM
The Second Amendment to the United State Federal Constitution has little to do with today's gun laws.

The relavant portions of the Constitution are today Article 1, Section 8: The Interstate Commerse Clause & The Taxing and spending power.

VA Dutch
08-18-2006, 05:58 PM
...And what has that piece of paper done? Gun legislation is ineffective because the people it targets are criminals, who, by definition, don't follow laws.

Well, that is what it does in theory; but the truth of the matter is that 'gun control' laws usually don't affect the criminal at all. Only law-abiding citizens (who are not the problem in the first place) will obey the laws, and the criminals who ignore other laws will do the same with laws designed to limit the use or possession of a firearm. Heck, if anything, more 'gun control' laws only serve to make life safer for criminals because fewer of their intended vicitms will have access to firearms for self-defense.

When new "gun laws" are passed, it is just a way for politicians to tell use they are 'doing something' about violent crime -- while they'll turn around in six months and demand more laws because the existing ones don't work.
:(

Maybe they don't all feel that way, but it seems to me that the goal of the "gun control" crowd is total disarmament of the general population, instead of actually removing the criminal element from society.

But anyway, how about registering criminals instead of guns?
:D

Sir Vezza
08-19-2006, 01:12 AM
You see.....I knew this would turn into a 2nd amendment debate, actually the whole constitution. I think the OP just wanted to know if she had to register her guns in Texas, not the whole history of the First Continental Congress. If you notice she jumped this thread and started a new one. I guess she knows what to do when you light dynamite...get the hell outa the way!

GatorPD
08-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Florida actually has a law PROHIBITING a state firearm registry.

FSS 790.335
(1) LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS AND INTENT.--

(a) The Legislature finds and declares that:

1. The right of individuals to keep and bear arms is guaranteed under both the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and s. 8, Art. I of the State Constitution.

2. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a law enforcement tool and can become an instrument for profiling, harassing, or abusing law-abiding citizens based on their choice to own a firearm and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution. Further, such a list, record, or registry has the potential to fall into the wrong hands and become a shopping list for thieves.

3. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a tool for fighting terrorism, but rather is an instrument that can be used as a means to profile innocent citizens and to harass and abuse American citizens based solely on their choice to own firearms and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution.

(2) PROHIBITIONS.--No state governmental agency or local government, special district, or other political subdivision or official, agent, or employee of such state or other governmental entity or any other person, public or private, shall knowingly and willfully keep or cause to be kept any list, record, or registry of privately owned firearms or any list, record, or registry of the owners of those firearms

WC145
08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
If you buy a gun retail, you fill out a form 4473 from the BATFE and the required state paperwork, if any. That's registered. If someone needed to look, and had the access to the paperwork, they could find that you own X weapon.

Some states require private sales to be registered; Connecticut does for pistol and long guns, but waives the paperwork requirement for people with carry permits on long guns.

Some states do not require any registration other than retail sales, person to person sales are not regulated with paperwork.

The .38 your ex gave you...lets hope it wasn't stolen or "used"...

No registry here in Maine either.
My understanding of the 4473 is that it remains with the dealer/FFL holder you purchase the firearm from. It is a questionnaire (sp?) that must be completed appropriately before the dealer calls the purchase into NICS for your background check. It is not a method of registering the weapon.

armoredman
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
The 4473 remains with the dealer for 25 years, and is then DESTROYED, under recently changed ATFE rules. If the FFL goes out of business before that expiration period, the 4473s are shipped to ATFE vaults. ATFE tried a little experiment called "forward tracing", where they went to FFLs, and started copying 4473 forms with no legal need to do so.They got called on it, and to the best of my knowledge, do not do that anymore.

bluetwo
09-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Let's say you buy a handgun in GA, register it there but then you're moving to WA state. Do you have to re-register the weapon in WA?

armoredman
09-12-2006, 10:49 PM
If Washington requires it, yes. If you register a weapon in Georgia, and move to AZ, then no, there is no state or local registration requirements.