PDA

View Full Version : Positive Urine Test for Drugs

mainedawg
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Can anyone tell me what happens in the Army units if a guy or gal has a positive urine test for drugs.? I hear that it is manditory busted down and out for E-5's and above.

I'm told some units will let E-4 and below stay in, but loss of rank.

WILawman
08-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't know about the Army but in the Coast Guard we had an E-3 test positive for Marijuana and was busted down and discharged.

stangfather
08-10-2006, 09:56 PM
usually busted down and chaptered out, but ive seen some good soldiers allowed to stay in at a MUCH lower rank.

its more on a case by case basis, pot isnt usually as bad as hard drugs.

pkagel
08-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Everyone I saw in the Navy (90-98) was busted and discharged. I actually had a LTjg(O2) on restriction who was busted for cocaine. We had one MM1(E-6) who I saw make MMSR(E1) in a succession of busts until we could get him processed. He actually tried to say that some of us put coke in his sample. Yea, like I was going to risk my job to bust somebody I didn't even know :rolleyes:

Irish6
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Funny you should ask this question. I handled 2 of these cases yesterday. It's a sad fact that because of the need for soldiers in the Army right now, not much happens for a "Hot" urine test. We go ahead and process them, but you'll see that joe a few weeks down the road with the same rank and in a substance abuse program. Some commanders take harder measures, but it's up to them these days. The Army isn't kicking people out very readily these days. It would have to be a case of numerous hot urinalysis' to get someone to the chaptering out phase. Sad.

stangfather
08-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Funny you should ask this question. I handled 2 of these cases yesterday. It's a sad fact that because of the need for soldiers in the Army right now, not much happens for a "Hot" urine test. We go ahead and process them, but you'll see that joe a few weeks down the road with the same rank and in a substance abuse program. Some commanders take harder measures, but it's up to them these days. The Army isn't kicking people out very readily these days. It would have to be a case of numerous hot urinalysis' to get someone to the chaptering out phase. Sad.

exactly, im a grunt not a MP but we dont kick people to the curb for pot, but hard **** you get kicked out for.

like i said, if its a really good soldier, they get busted down and put in a program.

irishlad2nv
08-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow, I don't know what unit you are in, but when I was in an Airborne Unit, anyone, no matter who you were, if you ****ed hot, even for pot, etc...you were kicked out...you really want to jump out or a plane with someone who mae be high? You want to go to war with someone who may be high. I think if you do any type of drug in the military these days you need to get kicked out. They are becoming way to relaxed with you guys.

mainedawg
08-12-2006, 10:01 AM
The way I read the regulation on it now is, if you come in and ask for help you might stay in. All others need to check the job listing where they came from.

H.R. Cufnstuf
08-12-2006, 06:28 PM
The way I read the regulation on it now is, if you come in and ask for help you might stay in. All others need to check the job listing where they came from.

Didn't you ask this on RP?

Just to reiterate what was already said there, the Navy is ZERO TOLERANCE. Zero means zero. Pop and you're gone. Period. Ask for help, you're put through some treatment programs and you're still gone. Period.

Maybe the other branches are more desperate for heads. :rolleyes:

mainedawg
08-12-2006, 08:54 PM
I have asked this question on alot of boards. We are tring to find if the ARmy Reg 600-85 states that a soldier Must be processed(chaptered) out.

Is this for all or just a few in the Army. The question was asked By a good soldier that ****ed hot and wants to stay in the military. This is something that will effect the rest of his life. I just take it serious.

pkagel
08-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Good to see my Navy still does it right. I remember when they booted the SecNavs(I think it was the SecNav, maybe the SecDef) son out for popping positive.

Didn't you ask this on RP?

Just to reiterate what was already said there, the Navy is ZERO TOLERANCE. Zero means zero. Pop and you're gone. Period. Ask for help, you're put through some treatment programs and you're still gone. Period.

Maybe the other branches are more desperate for heads. :rolleyes:

H.R. Cufnstuf
08-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I have asked this question on alot of boards. We are tring to find if the ARmy Reg 600-85 states that a soldier Must be processed(chaptered) out.

Is this for all or just a few in the Army. The question was asked By a good soldier that ****ed hot and wants to stay in the military. This is something that will effect the rest of his life. I just take it serious.

I received your PM, but I still don't care if he's God Himself. Any person in an armed capacity that tests positive for drug use just ended their career if I have anything to say about it.

irishlad2nv
08-12-2006, 10:30 PM
I received your PM, but I still don't care if he's God Himself. Any person in an armed capacity that tests positive for drug use just ended their career if I have anything to say about it.
And I am sure you don't have anything to say about it...I know of people still to this day that have tested positive for drugs and are still in the military carrying a weapon..is it right, no, but it's the new military.

mainedawg
10-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Here is an update on positive urine test for Drugs.

He had MJ, "smoking a little dope" is his urine. He is going thru the program and will be a very good soldier.

UPNYPO
10-05-2006, 05:42 PM

I'm with you H.R.

RyderXS
10-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Last month a few of my buddies got busted for underage drinking, and were battalion-level NJP'd (non-judicial punishment) for it. Now they're both E-1 privates.

Drug pops get sent to the brig immediately for 30 days (lots of MPs there) before returning to their unit as an E-1 under restriction. It's a ****ty life. They might allow you to stay in if you go through a lot of rehab, but 90 percent of them just get sloooowly discharged. The paperwork takes a while, and in the meantime they'll have you do all kinds of bs working parties. You'll mow a lot of grass.

arcop223
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I actually went to the Army school for this. It’s better to be the administer, than the gazer. The reg says they have to be processed for discharge. Unless they are a problem child, that very seldom happens, especially today. They Court Marshall Authority (Usually a Battalion commander) has the authority to rehabilitate, or chapter. For NCO’s, they are almost always sent home. But I have seen a few stay, and recover, and get promoted. All depends on who likes you in the chain a command. If you’re a good solder, you usually get a second chance, problem children, easy way for me to get rid of you.

soldierup
10-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, everywhere I have been it always seems to be the good soldiers who make a mistake get the boot, and the shart bags get multipule chances. Also one time my roomate when home for leave on christmas, while on leave his father passed away. And during that time he somked a joint. When he went on leave he was an e4. On the first of the month of January, he was on paper as an e5. When he came back home after the New Years, we obvisouly had a urine test. On the day of his urine test, he had his NCO induction ceremony. After that about one week later, all MPs had to report to the company for an unknown reason (but everyone knew a urine test). He told me before the urine test what happen, and why there was just a test for MPs. And so they gave him a field grade,he went from e5to e4,45,45, restricted to post, if he went off had to be accompined by a NCO in class A's. During the time he was serving his punishment he was kicked out in about 25-30 days. They told him since he was a NCO, he was supposed to know better. So, I would say more then likley if your a NCO, and you tested hot, TWICE in a row, they cant get you off of one test. Then you are more then likley screwed. But after 2 years you can put in for an honorable discharge if you dont get into trouble with the law. I hear.

kicket
10-28-2006, 11:28 PM
1. If its Illegal your out plain and simple
2. If its perscription(not docutmented) your confronted and help is usally avalable(have seen This)
3. If its like weight supplements,diet pills stuff your confronted given the benifet of the doubt(if 1st offence) legetured on dos and don'ts and retested again and again if abuse is seen again see #2
4.If help did not work your out.

UPNYPO
10-29-2006, 11:15 AM
it's rediculous that this is even on a police forum.

soldierup
10-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Exactly, talk about a serious lack in judgement/ decision making and maturity. But hey if you smoke, and get caught,you gotta pay the price!

farrellsm77
11-19-2006, 12:18 PM
When I was in the Navy (98-02) and USCG (04-06) I saw a lot of sailors get the boot, and I agree. I don't want someone working with me who could be screwed up and high get me killed. I saw some of my friends go, but they broke the rules and were held accountable. That is the way the military works.

M.P.ZMan
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Generally they lose rank and get ED (Extra Duty). Any other mishap and they get kicked out. However, when they test hot they have to speak to certain personnell about this and if they cooperate with them and help take down those that are selling to soldiers SOMETIMES (NOT ALL CASES) the soldier will receive a more lenient charge if any at all. Most importantly what it comes down to is what JAG and the company CO feels like doing. Generally the CO's dont wanna deal with it the way it should be handled... believe me just watched a case that took 2 months of prep work go out the window with a slap on the wrist to the soldier (Negative Counseling Statement). Well, hope that adds some insight on the Army side for ya.

Dave12C
01-19-2007, 10:57 PM
from my experience, and during my last duty station in Korea- 2002, as the unit UA test coordinator. E-4 and less was field grade, while E-5 and and above - your done my friend. NCO's and above were expected to know better.

OfficerDotCom
03-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Several posts in this message thread, including the thread title, have been edited, and one post deleted, all because people made liberal use of slang terms for "urine" and "urinating." Others used letter substitutions to defeat the profanity filters and get their expletives in. This is a professional law enforcement forum, and professional conduct is not only expected, but required. Unprofessional language, including but not limited to profanity, will not be tolerated. If you wouldn't say it in court or in church, don't say it here.

The message thread contains some excellent information, and was left in place because of this. Most forum members posted messages which were entirely appropriate. But the actions of a few generated a Bad Post Report, and the messages were edited as a result.

If you can't think of a "clean" word that expresses your meaning, you need to broaden your vocabulary. We have all used this language at one time or another, but this is not the place for it.

Traffic_82
03-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Keep in mind I was in from 99-02. I was infantry, we had LOADS of Soldiers "urinate" hot.

Generally, E-4 and below got 45/45, E-5 and up got the boot.

However, some well liked soldiers just got demoted via NJP, and soon caught up to their peers again.

AirmanE3
03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Air Force is Zero Tolerance, you **** hot, and you are out.

Jellybean400
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a relative in the Navy that tested positive for MJ, and also "missed his ship" around the same time, when it left port. He was flown to it by helicopter. He was demoted in rank, but was well-liked by the captain and eventually attained it again.

He was not discharged, but he was jailed in the Naval jail for a short time. Hes been in the Navy for over 10 years.

(let me add that i'm not LE, but saw that others in the thread also werent)