View Full Version : Which SMD?

07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
An officer on the opposing lane of traffic is coming towards me, he just rounded a corner, I just finished cresting a hill, and he is about 60 yards away on a motorcycle. As I'm about to pass him (about 3 seconds), he looks at me and goes code 2, pulls me over and issues me a citation for speeding "Adopted 50+ in a 35 (Actual Speed 62 mph)". The ticket states he used a speed measuring device.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what type of SMD can be mounted on motorcycles, be used while in motion, and be used when coming towards me?

07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Radar most likely, but Laser/Lidar is also used.

Question for you. How did you know he was "Code 2"..:)

07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Are radars always on, or would the officer have to had press a button to activate it? Seems like his reaction time would've been insane to have gotten my speed so quickly.

Question for you. How did you know he was "Code 2"..:)

He lit up but didn't activate his siren. Not sure what code 2 is in your department, but I believe generally that's what code 2 means in most. I'm surprised he didn't code 3 though, I was 3 football fields away and around a corner by the time he made a u-turn. I probably would've all but disappeared (not intentional evading) had I not had to wait for my turn at the roundabout.

07-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Radar's can be left on at all time, but they're usually left in "standby" mode unless we see somebody we want to clock (plays with those people with radar detectors :D ). There's also a "lock" button that locks your speed onto the radar display.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, a motorcycle officer, so I don't know where their radar controls are normally mounted. Handlebar, maybe, so the hold and lock buttons are easily accessable? Either way, activating and locking people in on radar is second-nature for those of us who regularly do traffic. We do so without really even thinking about it, and can do it very quickly.

07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Not likely lidar. Regular radar can nail you all day long while moving. I can lock vehicles coming at me, going the same direction, from the rear or the front (moving or stationary). It doesn't take but a split second to lock you.