PDA

View Full Version : Which SMD?

Song0330
07-18-2006, 08:18 PM
An officer on the opposing lane of traffic is coming towards me, he just rounded a corner, I just finished cresting a hill, and he is about 60 yards away on a motorcycle. As I'm about to pass him (about 3 seconds), he looks at me and goes code 2, pulls me over and issues me a citation for speeding "Adopted 50+ in a 35 (Actual Speed 62 mph)". The ticket states he used a speed measuring device.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what type of SMD can be mounted on motorcycles, be used while in motion, and be used when coming towards me?

irishlad2nv
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Radar most likely, but Laser/Lidar is also used.

Question for you. How did you know he was "Code 2"..:)

Song0330
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Are radars always on, or would the officer have to had press a button to activate it? Seems like his reaction time would've been insane to have gotten my speed so quickly.

Question for you. How did you know he was "Code 2"..:)

He lit up but didn't activate his siren. Not sure what code 2 is in your department, but I believe generally that's what code 2 means in most. I'm surprised he didn't code 3 though, I was 3 football fields away and around a corner by the time he made a u-turn. I probably would've all but disappeared (not intentional evading) had I not had to wait for my turn at the roundabout.

Bing_Oh
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Radar's can be left on at all time, but they're usually left in "standby" mode unless we see somebody we want to clock (plays with those people with radar detectors :D ). There's also a "lock" button that locks your speed onto the radar display.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, a motorcycle officer, so I don't know where their radar controls are normally mounted. Handlebar, maybe, so the hold and lock buttons are easily accessable? Either way, activating and locking people in on radar is second-nature for those of us who regularly do traffic. We do so without really even thinking about it, and can do it very quickly.

SgtScott31
07-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Not likely lidar. Regular radar can nail you all day long while moving. I can lock vehicles coming at me, going the same direction, from the rear or the front (moving or stationary). It doesn't take but a split second to lock you.