PDA

View Full Version : drug use and applying for nypd

TonyNickles
06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I have wanted to become a cop my whole life, and I am applying to the NYPD. I have a totaly clean record, not even a ticket. I am 23 now, and from when I was 17 until last year I smoked a lot of pot, I also used perscription pain killers recreationaly and did coke twice. I have been clean for almost one year, and do not plan on doing any illegal substances again. Will the drug use disqualify me? I was also looking at applying to the FBI and they're web site says drug use over a year ago is not an automatic disqualification. Does anyone know if the nypd more strict in this regard?

Thanks, TN

sflcop
06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
The drug use being so recent will probably be a problem. If you have wanted to be a cop your '"whole life" why would you use drugs, especially coke?

TonyNickles
06-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I did it first because I was 17 and stupid. I continued because I was surrounded by idiotic "friends" who did pretty much nothing but smoke weed. I did the coke for a more idiotic reason-because a girl I liked was into it. Looking back I can't beleive I was stupid enough to put that garbage (the coke) into my body.

Squader01
06-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Use of marjiuana will not DQ you for life. But it sounds like you've smoked pot more than 100 times, and the FBI has a cut off limit on how many times you could have used marijuana. 10-20 I think, so you're probably way over that. So you'd flunk both, or at least one of the polygraphs they will give you. Coke is another hard hard hard knock, the use the painkillers recreationallly is another knock, but depending on if it was Oxycontin(which commonly kills kids where I live) which is basically synthetic heroin, or if was Vicodin or Tylenol 4 which is Hydrocodone.

Either way, I think you'll have a tough time getting hired with even the NYPD with that stuff in your background. Get a degree, and some time under your belt and maybe a smaller department will give you a chance, good luck to you, stay clean.

WILawman
06-12-2006, 01:47 AM
I have wanted to become a cop my whole life, and I am applying to the NYPD. I have a totaly clean record, not even a ticket. I am 23 now, and from when I was 17 until last year I smoked a lot of pot, I also used perscription pain killers recreationaly and did coke twice. I have been clean for almost one year, and do not plan on doing any illegal substances again. Will the drug use disqualify me? I was also looking at applying to the FBI and they're web site says drug use over a year ago is not an automatic disqualification. Does anyone know if the nypd more strict in this regard?

Thanks, TN

To be honest with you dude, you may want to think about a different career. I can understand experimentation, but using coke, painkillers, and smoking pot heavily for 4+ years is not going to cut it. Glad you're clean now but police work is not in the near or distant near future.

Bing_Oh
06-12-2006, 01:50 AM
From the FBI website (bolded for emphesis)...
"Under the FBI's current Employment Drug Policy, an applicant will be found unsuitable for employment if they:
-Have used any illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991), other than marijuana, within the last ten years or more than five times in their life.
-Have used marijuana within the past three years or more than a total of 15 times in their life."

The FBI will not hire you under their current drug guidelines if you were more than a recreactional user of marijuana or have used hard drugs within the last ten years or more than five times in your whole life.

The marijuana use is a major hurdle because of the frequency of use...most departments have limitations on how many times you can have used marijuana in your past. The cocaine and prescription painkillers are an almost-certain disqualifier...the usage was much too recent and both are felonies.

Bizzy930
06-12-2006, 07:49 AM

Thanks, TN
There are hardly any teen’s out there nowadays that have not experiment some sort of drugs although yours is quite extensive. Growing up in society today where curiosity and peer-pressure often leads to something you would later regret. A positive note, I think its best that you let this settle down for a few more years as one year from last drug use will most likely not look good to BI’s. Prove yourself that you have matured by getting a college degree and do volunteer work, etc. and hopefully career as LEO might be possible. It's important that you have something to lay back on incase it doesn't fall thru.

TonyNickles
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the feedback. I finished my degree in January, so I could get a petter paying job fairly easy, but I am just not cut out for sitting in an office and working 9-5.

Squader--The perscriptions were Tylenol #3 and Ultracet, both of which I've had a valid perscription for in the past.

Is there any consideration made if I tell the BI that I used when I was emotionally distressed (I was) and have since gotten counseling? I didn't think of this before but will having seen a therapist for a few session DQ me from the psychologicals?

Also, will I be DQed if I want to apply for Auxilliary? Sorry to ask so many questions, I appreciate all who've taken the time to answer so far.

TN

Squader01
06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the feedback. I finished my degree in January, so I could get a petter paying job fairly easy, but I am just not cut out for sitting in an office and working 9-5.

Squader--The perscriptions were Tylenol #3 and Ultracet, both of which I've had a valid perscription for in the past.

Is there any consideration made if I tell the BI that I used when I was emotionally distressed (I was) and have since gotten counseling? I didn't think of this before but will having seen a therapist for a few session DQ me from the psychologicals?

Also, will I be DQed if I want to apply for Auxilliary? Sorry to ask so many questions, I appreciate all who've taken the time to answer so far.

TN

Tony, I have a Background myself, but it wasn't drug related(though I did try MJ twice in middle school). One of the first things I did in Law Enforcement was to get hired with my departments Reserve's, which is probably the same, or similar to the Auxiliary program you speak of. I know that in my department, we went through alot of the same hiring processes our full time guys go through(Except the Polygraph). Infact based on my merit as a Reserve Deputy, that's one of the things I did that leaded to me getting offered my job on the full.

So maybe you can find a niche getting on the Auxiliary which if you do get on with them, will help great in your pursuit of a career on the full. Your honesty, will take you longer than you think.

Although we can't tell you here or not if you're going to be DQ'd, the only way to find out is to go through the process yourself. The worse thing they can tell you is no. Like the great Wayne Gretzky said, %100 of the shots you don't take, don't go in. I'd say go ahead any apply, at least then you'll know if you have a shot in the future, and what areas you need to improve on for the next go round at the hiring process.

Good luck.

Nightshift va
06-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I dont believe any department in Va would hire you, your use is more than what is considered "recreational" use. Call the Recruitment Office where you want to work at and ask them straight up otherwise you will waste your time on a long painsaking job process like no other in the world. Being a cop may not be high in pay, but most would never make it through the testing and background required to include most in politics. Our job is one in which we dont get paid for the dangers we face and the free legal advice we give or the help we give but since we can take away one's freedom the qualifications have to be tough, sorry. it is what it is....

NYPD06
06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Tony,
The NYPD's drug test goes back about 3 months so if you've been clean for about a yr you will past the drug test. What you may want to worry about is the psych. They will ask you questions about previous drug use and if you tell them that you were depressed I am 100% sure they will put you on psych review and that will prolong your hiring process. Good Luck to you.

Sm0kin3053
09-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I did a search and this is the thread that came up first. When I was in high school I experimented with pot. Never been arrested, BUT when I turned 20 I enlisted in the Corps, I told them about my drug use while in high school, and of course with everything they gave me a "drug waiver", but since it's on my SRB should I tell the police dept about my drug use, even though this happened between 96-98? Been clean ever since.

Thanks in advance

AzDogs
09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I did a search and this is the thread that came up first. When I was in high school I experimented with pot. Never been arrested, BUT when I turned 20 I enlisted in the Corps, I told them about my drug use while in high school, and of course with everything they gave me a "drug waiver", but since it's on my SRB should I tell the police dept about my drug use, even though this happened between 96-98? Been clean ever since.

Thanks in advance

Yes you tell them