PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving.. CENTRAL FLA!!!

KeperODSea
05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Im 21 with no certified LEO experiance. I am Currently a Police Aide(non certified officer) in southwest Fla. My girlfriend is swiching college to UCF and is moving to Orlando. I want to go LEO or CO and i am applied to places here. What should I do if i move to Orlando? Does the SO sponsor for corrections only or will they sponsor for LEO? What about OPD? Is is challenging to get on? I have 2 years college and a list of references that only leaves out the Pope himself. What do i do? I would like to be sponsored...
Thank you

ftlaudcop
05-31-2006, 09:20 PM
in most central fla counties, the police depts and sheriff's will sponsor you,
which means they ran a back ground check on you, you foot the bill,
and when you graduate the academy, they are under no obligation to hire you.

orange county sheriff... does not have the jail anymore
orange county dept of corrections will sponsor / pay for the academy

osceola county sheriff.....does not have the jail anymore
osceola county dept of corrections will sponsor you and pay for academy

orlando may have have budget where they send recruits to the academy
not sure on that.

Floridaboy
06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
I thought if they sponsor you that means they pay for your academy and guarantee u a spot (after you graduate) ????

wild_sherpa
06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I have very little knowledge with Osceola County, however, I do know OCSO is currently looking for tons of new deputies. We had a recruiter swing by the academy and he said they are definitely hiring. Regarding the sponsorship, if OCSO sponsors you, basically you are already considered an employee. Orlando is by far the hardest department to get on with. They sponsor as well but the hiring process can be extremely long.

ftlaudcop
06-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I thought if they sponsor you that means they pay for your academy and guarantee u a spot (after you graduate) ????

that is more true in south fla.....

you can send a letter to each central fla sheriff's office
and police dept and request public information ontheir policies
if they pay for the academy.....if you have 10 agencies.....
maybe 1 will foot the bill, and he's politically related to someone in the dept.

TFlanary
06-02-2006, 01:24 AM

that is more true in south fla.....

you can send a letter to each central fla sheriff's office
and police dept and request public information ontheir policies
if they pay for the academy.....if you have 10 agencies.....
maybe 1 will foot the bill, and he's politically related to someone in the dept.

Yep. I'm in the academy now. There's 30 people, 1 sponsored, because his dad is an Officer with the agency.

I was susoposed to be sponsored, but they're dragging their feet.

Here in Daytona Beach it's 900 per term, if you're doing it part time. Full time is slightly more. It turns out to be about 1,800 though. I'm 19, with no degree (yet). It just takes hard work and alot of good attitudes to do well in the academy

...Tonight we got OC Sprayed =|

jds1556
06-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Orange Co S.O. and Orlando P.D. will sponser you but most other agencies in Orange County will not because they get too many applicants that are already certified that apply with them. They will pay you while you attend the academy at a basic recruit pay (based on $25K a year or so). You can also put yourself through which is tougher because you pay to get through plus you still have to find a way to make a living while attending the academy. Once certified, if your background is clean you should not have much of a problem getting hired somewhere.
Orlando PD is tough to get on as they look for different demographics during each hiring period (or so it appears). Good luck with your move.

njsurfer
06-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I know ive been looking around at many agencies in the south part of florida, and Ive been told that i could easily be sponsored because i have a 4 year degree. Also, looking around on many of the websites the requirements are to have the academy training or a 4 year degree so if your close to having any sort of degree maybe that will help you out!

ftlaudcop
06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
they just as easily sponsor 19 to 21 yrs old to h.s. grad, flippin hamburgers, who have clean back grounds.

soflacop
06-13-2006, 04:37 PM
i got sponsored right out of high school to goto the academy. :P.. degrees really dont mean too much in this field unless your going to be promoted later on..

sco0437
06-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Yea degrees mean even less to those who don’t have one; due to lack of ability either intellectually or financially. Its amazing how far a high school diploma will take you these days... lol..

Sorry I wasnt more specific.. but I was responding to this

..P.. degrees really dont mean too much in this field unless your going to be promoted later on..

ftlaudcop
06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
depends where ya went to h.s, i hope hope no one who graduated h.s. in fla thinks their ' standard of education' is the same as the mid west or eastern states, fla has always been # 48, 49, 50 in rating for decades.

njsurfer
06-14-2006, 06:18 PM
oh i was in no way downplaying high school diploma, i did the college thing and it took me 6 years because i had to work while doing it; and to be honest i learned more working in the real world than i did sitting in a classroom and writing papers. I dont think a college degree makes you any better at anything other than writing research papers. I was just making an observation based on the places i talked to.

ftlaudcop
06-14-2006, 07:55 PM
nothing wrong with requiring a college degree, but the money along with your heart and soul; better be into the actual work.

with stagnated area's, and police jobs are hard to get,
maybe they can require degree's.

place's that are growing by leaps and bound,
you have a btter choice of what ya wanna be......

if you walked the chalk line and lead a rightious life, you can get in with
a h.s diploma, plus the starting salary better be decent and competitive

LakeLaw
06-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Im 21 with no certified LEO experiance. I am Currently a Police Aide(non certified officer) in southwest Fla. My girlfriend is swiching college to UCF and is moving to Orlando. I want to go LEO or CO and i am applied to places here. What should I do if i move to Orlando? Does the SO sponsor for corrections only or will they sponsor for LEO? What about OPD? Is is challenging to get on? I have 2 years college and a list of references that only leaves out the Pope himself. What do i do? I would like to be sponsored...
Thank you

I know that the next county over from Orange, Lake - sponsors (pays for and pays YOU) while you are attending the CORRECTIONS academy. It is a great way to begin your "dual" certification. In other words, a lot of local deputies start out in the CO academy, get full time work in corrections - decide they'd rather be OUTSIDE on the road and then go for their cross training in law enforcement. The course info for BOTH Police academy and Corrections is http://laketech.org/ips/ It seems as though pretty much every agency in central Florida is seeking new hires. But there is such an abundance of applicants, they do not need to pay for anything before you get hired. Though a lot of agencies are starting to reimburse you for the academy 1 year after you start the job. I have a friend who was just hired to OPD. No prior law enforcement/military experience. 4 year degree, white male. He did his "pre-app" last June and got hired in April of this year. I spoke to a recruiter there, and she told me that they do have a reputation of "being hard to get on... but that is not the truth." But you need to determine what type of call load you want. OPD is busy. They are a large agency, so you would be lost as a number. Your main focus should be what your goals are in LE. Once you determine what you want to concentrate on, then you can find an agency that fills that goal. Good luck!