PDA

View Full Version : College that gives college credit for academy

FLORIDACO1
05-15-2006, 03:44 AM
I am trying to locate a college that gives college credit (partial or full) for academy training i.e. corrections, law enforcement, specialized classes, etc. that I can apply towards my degree. I am looking to pursue a degree but would like to "fast track" it if possible. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

DOAcop38
05-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I am trying to locate a college that gives college credit (partial or full) for academy training i.e. corrections, law enforcement, specialized classes, etc. that I can apply towards my degree. I am looking to pursue a degree but would like to "fast track" it if possible. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Try Saint Leo's univ. down in florida or Mtn State university in WV ( they are actual accreditted small colleges,with student enrollments of 3-5,500 ) they also have online programs .American Intercontinental Univeristy - an "accreditted" online only college and the Union Institute (ohio) - they give college credit for your training,but you'll have to contact their counselors for more info.your city or Dept should have tuition reimbursement,but you may have to still apply for a Student loan. Just be sure that the school you look into has legit regional accreditation,as you can actually transfer units to other major colleges or univs.

FLORIDACO1
05-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Every college I have contacted in the past never wanted to give me any credit for my academy training. I find it very frustrating.

SammyCal1
05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Check out Aspen University at www.aspen.edu.

They are a DETC (Distance Education and Training Council) accredited university. I believe they also have ACE (American Council on Education)acrreditation and you will get 30 credits for your academy if it is an ACE accredited academy. You will also get an additional 30 credits for being a police officer. They offer police rates.

We, me included, have about 10 guys that are going to start there soon.

Good luck.

Sammy

DOAcop38
05-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Check out Aspen University at www.aspen.edu.

They are a DETC (Distance Education and Training Council) accredited university. I believe they also have ACE (American Council on Education)acrreditation and you will get 30 credits for your academy if it is an ACE accredited academy. You will also get an additional 30 credits for being a police officer. They offer police rates.

We, me included, have about 10 guys that are going to start there soon.

Good luck.

Sammy

Everybody has an opinion but "Sammy" ,I think you'd be better off with schools that carry regional accreditation-some schools,while they provide a decent "curriculum" on the website,tend to be just degree mills.No matter how small or obscure the school is- if it is regionally accredited,you can usually transfer the units and degree to another regionally accredited school-i found Mtn state univ (online), but I already talked to a counselor @ Cal State Univ.Dominguez and can transfer units if I want to complete my degree locally.Check out www.collegeboard.com , then enter the name of your school in the "find" section-they give critical info on the school(s),the tuition,requirements,enrollment #s ,degrees presented- those schools that provide "life experience" credits usually have a limit on what type of experience-i.e. they 'll request trng records from your job or agency and try to match that to core basics you need for the degree- if they are offering a liberal amount of units for "experience" without demanding some foundation for it, I'd be wary of applying there as you are basically buying a degree to decorate your wall........

kayl
05-18-2006, 08:58 PM
www.gvsu.edu

I'm there right now...good program

eightyo
05-30-2006, 05:00 AM
www.charteroak.edu

They even have a Public Safet Admin program. I believe a standard academy is worth about 30 credits.

SW1
08-01-2006, 11:46 PM
This would have probably been more effective posted in the Florida forum. Many of the academies are based at junior colleges so the state may have evaluated the curriculum and have recommendations on how much college credit you should get for the corrections academy and/or the law enforcement academy.

FLORIDACO1
08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks SW1 I will post it there also.

My Gluttony
08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Try Saint Leo's univ. down in florida or Mtn State university in WV ( they are actual accreditted small colleges,with student enrollments of 3-5,500 ) they also have online programs .American Intercontinental Univeristy - an "accreditted" online only college and the Union Institute (ohio) - they give college credit for your training,but you'll have to contact their counselors for more info.your city or Dept should have tuition reimbursement,but you may have to still apply for a Student loan. Just be sure that the school you look into has legit regional accreditation,as you can actually transfer units to other major colleges or univs.

Oh, yeh.....St Leo's

PAY YOUR FEE- GET YOUR "B"
I always wondered how a "college" can award college credit for police academy classes taught by cops with GED's

10-31Mike
08-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Oh, yeh.....St Leo's

PAY YOUR FEE- GET YOUR "B"
I always wondered how a "college" can award college credit for police academy classes taught by cops with GED's

I'm offended. I have a GED.

Do you think they'll hire me? I need some extra cash.

sflcop
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Florida academy provides you with roughly 30 credits on your college transcript.

My Gluttony
08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm offended. I have a GED.

Do you think they'll hire me? I need some extra cash.

No, your not alloud to teech at the acadimy becase you're speling and grammer is two good

cityblusuit
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
try rio salado college in phoenix......click on the Maricopa Community College District at www.maricopa.edu follow the link to rio salado.......for AZ academy's they give 35 sem hours.

capstun27
08-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Marshall University in West by God Virginia does, but I don't know if it's just the WV police academy they accept or if they'll take others as well.