PDA

View Full Version : Shirt Stays

AmericanMan
04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Who here uses shirt stays? There has been a lot of talk as of late about them and I'm thinkin' about getting a pair myself. I've heard stories about them snapping like a rubberband. What are the pros and cons?

PO 221
04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
In my opinion the good outweighs the bad. They really keep your shirt tucked in tight for nice neat look. You can tell most of the time who is wearing them and who isn't. Only bad thing is they make you feel like a slinky and it makes it slightly difficult to do anything too physical with them. I have been wearing them 3 months and never had one snap on me and I have used the same ones the whole time.

Mantronix
04-23-2006, 11:33 PM
If your refering to shirt keepers which you probably are I cannot wear my uniform without them. I usually go through a pack of four twice a year. First time my girlfriend saw me putting them on she laughed so much. She said I looked like an old man. :o

towncop
04-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Do a search, this one has been talked about several times. I use 'em. Got the habit from the Marine Corps. Wouldn't be seen dead in uniform without 'em. Same here, 2 sets of four per year for me. I even wear a set on the tails of my vest. ;) Doesn't make anything physical difficult. Just wear 'em everyday and you'll get used to 'em.

gamecockfan
04-24-2006, 01:52 AM
i wear them everyday also. i've rarely had a problem of them coming undone and they never "snap" me. however, if that is a concern of yours, quatermaster uniforms makes a set that just clip on to your shirt and loop around your foot. they would only "snap" your feet then and not the jewels.

www.qmuniforms.com

Seventy2002
04-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I wore them until we went to 5.11 Tactical uniforms. The trousers have a really grippy waistband that keeps the shirt tucked in.

I used them with old uniforms and they did a great job.

Tackelberry44
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
I wear them....the only downside is that my girlfriend says they look like garter belts....but other than the rasberries they work great....

VSP_Troop
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
I wear the stirrup style ones. "Shirt puff" makes you look like an unmade bed.

AmericanMan
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey bought a pair of them today...wore them tonight and made the unifrom look and feel great!!!!

WC145
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I use the stirrup style from Quartermaster and they work great, a much neater look than without them.
The only thing I don't like is that they make it that much more difficult to get out of your gear to use the facilities. When I am working in the mud I wear knee high rubber boots with my pant legs tucked into my socks to keep them down in the boots. That means my shirt is strapped to my feet under my socks, my pants are in my socks and, in turn, in my boots, my duty belt is attached to my inner belt with keepers and my inner belt is velcroed to itself. There isn't any getting out of uniform in a hurry and every shift is well planned because I practically have to get completely undressed to take a crap.

AgentFox
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
A must if you want to look professional.

Hookem'
04-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I wear them. I can't even imagine going without them. I feel sloppy if I don't. Only certain cheap ones snap on me. I have been wearing the same set forever, even though they are wore the hell out, but the ones my local police supply is carrying right now are snappers.

AmericanMan
04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
I noticed they are more comfortable while wearing long-johns with the stays...this way the bands can't rub on your leggs.

tgace
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I use the rubber under-belt contraption (with the nubs). Works just fine w/o the TWANG! factor.

PeteBroccolo
04-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting this, guys! I have seen threads on these before, but never knew what they were, nor had ever heard or seen of them before.

I just did a Google search, and found several dealers, most of whom either would not sell to a Canadian (What is with THAT?! Have they watched that stupid "South Park" movie once too often, or WHAT?!?!) or charged an exhorbitant amount for shipping and/or use UPS for shipping :mad:

Anyway, I just ordered a set of stirrup style stays from:
http://www.dsasd.org/store/product_info.php/products_id/108
Had to use my Visa card - would have preferred a PayPal option, but... :rolleyes:

In about 2 weeks from now, I may no longer have to do the Jean-Luc Picard / Commander Ryker tunic pull-down maneuver!

deputy x 2
04-29-2006, 12:10 PM
As with anything, you'll get use to wearing them. It's a weird feeling to have that band against your leg. I had the ones that hook to the side of your socks. They had a tendency to snap. Most wear the stirup style. Have fun and if you got the stirup style, your jewels are safe! :eek: :eek:

AmericanMan
04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I use the rubber under-belt contraption (with the nubs). Works just fine w/o the TWANG! factor.
So what is better, the under-belt or the stays? How does the underbelt work?

tgace
04-29-2006, 10:17 PM
So what is better, the under-belt or the stays? How does the underbelt work?

Its a rubber belt you wear over your shirt tails and under your pants. It keeps your shirt from pulling out and has a nubbed outer surface that grips your pants to keep them from sliding down.

redneck41
04-30-2006, 01:31 AM
The nice thing about the stays is that they are made out of elastic. They will give a little with movement, as opposed to the belt not giving at all. If the shirt pulls out of the belt a little, you have to start all over.

tgace
04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
True..and its another belt...to add to your pants belt and your duty belt. I like it but its a relief to get them all off at the end of the day.

culbyak
05-01-2006, 05:34 AM
How does everyone use them? I've heard of several different methods for attaching the clips.

#1 - Attach two front and two back (on military creases) and run straight down both legs to each sock.

#2 - Attach one on each side, only using two stays (on side seams of shirt) and run down legs to socks.

#3 - Attach two front and two back (on military creases) similar to #1, but this time wrap front straps to outside of legs, behind knee and attach to inside of socks, then wrap rear straps to outside of legs, cross over just above each knee, then attach to outside rear of socks (looking down at leg would attach to 4:00-5:00 position).

While in the military I used method #3, however with current job, I use method #1.

americanoutdrsm
05-01-2006, 06:13 AM
I have never worn the belt, but I hate shirt stays, they are uncomfortable, they will rub the hair off your legs and make you look funny when you wear shorts. The worst is if they snap off before you put your pants off and hit you in the junk, that hurts and is why I quit wearing them. I did find a pair I liked one time though, I bought them in the Camp Pendleton military clothing store, they had a loop at the bottom for your foot to go in and had a Y shape with 2 connectors to your shirt. I always folded my shirt and put them on the fold to maintain a military tuck in the back of my shirt.

WC145
05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Like I said, I use the stirrup kind. I clip them on my shirt tails next to the military creases, works great.
I don't worry about the hair on my legs, I already look funny in shorts.

AmericanMan
05-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Like I said, I use the stirrup kind. I clip them on my shirt tails next to the military creases, works great.
I don't worry about the hair on my legs, I already look funny in shorts.
That's why I wear mine with long-johns!

PeteBroccolo
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I am not on a Unit that is authorized to wear shorts on duty, so I don't have to worry about that when wearing these stirrups.

If they work well enough, maybe I will get a 2nd set and attach them to my undershirt body armour vest, or I will get the ones that attach to socks, shorten them up and use them to attach the front and back tail flaps of my vest together.

AggiePhil
05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
I always folded my shirt and put them on the fold to maintain a military tuck in the back of my shirt.
Can you show a picture of the "folded shirt tail tuck" that you're talking about? I'm confused.

sflcop
05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Don't like the shirt stays, but I use the underbelt as well. It is called a Hidden Tailor. Hidden Tailor (http://www.hiddentailor.com/)

Matto
05-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Can you show a picture of the "folded shirt tail tuck" that you're talking about? I'm confused.
I second the request.

tgace
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
A“military tuck” is achieved by pulling out all excess material to the sides folding it back and then fastening the pants around the excess with the belt at the natural waist.

towncop
05-09-2006, 02:40 AM
A“military tuck” is achieved by pulling out all excess material to the sides folding it back and then fastening the pants around the excess with the belt at the natural waist.

Wow. I don't know where you learned your military tuck, but that ain't it! A proper military tuck is when: You take the back of your shirt, on the two outer, sew-in military creases, pull them back, and work all of the excess material (from either side) backwards. Then, you take those sew-in creases and fold them over that excess material. Then you fasten your pants, put on your belt and again, work any excess material into those "pockets." That's a proper military tuck, courtesy of the United States Marine Corps. If you guys are still lost, I'll post a few pics of how it looks beginning, middle, and end as well as the positioning of my shirt stays. ;)

AmericanMan
05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Wow. I don't know where you learned your military tuck, but that ain't it! A proper military tuck is when: You take the back of your shirt, on the two outer, sew-in military creases, pull them back, and work all of the excess material (from either side) backwards. Then, you take those sew-in creases and fold them over that excess material. Then you fasten your pants, put on your belt and again, work any excess material into those "pockets." That's a proper military tuck, courtesy of the United States Marine Corps. If you guys are still lost, I'll post a few pics of how it looks beginning, middle, and end as well as the positioning of my shirt stays. ;)
I would be interested in seeing a few

Matto
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I would be interested in seeing a few
Yeah, lost doesn't begin to describe it.

tgace
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM

I cut it from the VMI handbook. The one you described is how we did it in the Army MP Corp. The one I listed is a simpler explanation for everyday "cop" use IMO.

bluesteel
05-22-2006, 03:46 AM
I have used shirt stays for 15 years, and I wouldn't put on a uniform without them.

As for how, I use option #3 (taking the front around to the back and vice-versa). Over 15 years, they've only come close to those I hold dear twice, and smacked them once. That was the only time I've put them on carelessly. I often get a year out of each set. I consider them a part of my uniform, and I don't know of a single officer in my agency that doesn't use them.

I would be interested in the pictures of a military tuck. It sounds very similar to what I already do, but improvement wouldn't hurt.

AggiePhil
05-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Show some pictures of your shirt stays attached. Don't worry, we won't be eyeing your jock. :D

DeltaBravo404
05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Anyone ever been able to find the one's with the aligator teeth clamps, as opposed to the rubber button type shirt stays that are oh so popular? I use the rubber style one's, and am always either 1, having to re-pop it into place, because it doesnt stay locked in, or 2, loosing the damn rubber piece all together...

Like many others, I use 4 shirt stays every night (Y Style) 2 in the front, and 2 in the rear. (which is why I have yet to try the "stir-up style")

Any suggestions / idea's would be greatly appreciated...

10-13
05-29-2006, 09:38 PM
If I'm wearing my button up shirt I always have my Hidden Tailor on (rubber under-belt with nubs). I tried regular shirt stays and I just can't get used to the feeling of them rubbing on my legs and the fear factor of having one or both of them slingshot into my junior officers have truned me against them.

Also, the HT works great when you need to hold your shirt up while you are...uh, driving the porcelain RMP.

AgentFox
05-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Just bought a Hidden Tailor off eBay for 15.95. Look forward to trying it.

I always liked shirt stays for keeping my socks pulled up, too.

Hookem'
06-04-2006, 12:18 PM
The hidden tailor does an OK job, but it doesn't keep you as tight as shirt stays do.

Now if they made something to keep your vest from riding up, I'd be set.......

T25
06-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Anyone ever been able to find the one's with the aligator teeth clamps, as opposed to the rubber button type shirt stays that are oh so popular? I use the rubber style one's, and am always either 1, having to re-pop it into place, because it doesnt stay locked in, or 2, loosing the damn rubber piece all together...

Like many others, I use 4 shirt stays every night (Y Style) 2 in the front, and 2 in the rear. (which is why I have yet to try the "stir-up style")

Any suggestions / idea's would be greatly appreciated...
I use the shirt stays that had the rubber buttons, but they kept coming unsnapped. So, I got rid of the rubber buttons and used pennies or nickels to hold the shirt in place through the metal ring. That seems to work pretty well for me.

tgace
06-11-2006, 01:50 AM
The hidden tailor does an OK job, but it doesn't keep you as tight as shirt stays do.

Now if they made something to keep your vest from riding up, I'd be set.......

I always thought a vest carrier with built in keepers (two birds theory) would be a great idea. Belt keepers with that added feature of keeping the vest in place.....

DeltaBravo404
06-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I use the shirt stays that had the rubber buttons, but they kept coming unsnapped. So, I got rid of the rubber buttons and used pennies or nickels to hold the shirt in place through the metal ring. That seems to work pretty well for me.

How in the hell does that work??? :confused: Shoot me a PM with some more details, Id like to try it, but my mind is drawin a blank when tryin to picture it...

Thanks

Hookem'
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Forget a PM, Share with all of us. I'm at a lost with the penny/nickel thing as well??

10-13
06-11-2006, 09:26 PM
I always thought a vest carrier with built in keepers (two birds theory) would be a great idea. Belt keepers with that added feature of keeping the vest in place.....

It wouldn't work if you're wearing a uniform shirt over your vest. Right now, I think the only option is a vest carrier with "tails" that you can attach a second set of shirt stays to. And for me, thats just too much junk to put on/take off everyday.

Hookem'
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
It wouldn't work if you're wearing a uniform shirt over your vest. Right now, I think the only option is a vest carrier with "tails" that you can attach a second set of shirt stays to. And for me, thats just too much junk to put on/take off everyday.

I agree, 4 shirt stays is enough. no way I'm gonna wear more to keep the vest down. I grab the vest tails when I take a leak to try to keep the vest pulled down from time to time.

AggiePhil
06-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I've heard that if your vest is riding up around your neck, it's either because your vest wasn't fitted properly, or you're wearing it too tight.

PeteBroccolo
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
One problem I am finding with wearing the foot-stirrup/rubber & metal loop shirt-tail-catch shirt stays is when I have to make a sit-down "pit stop" (especially when I **NEED** to!). Otherwise, they work great.

T25
06-15-2006, 07:11 AM
How in the hell does that work??? :confused: Shoot me a PM with some more details, Id like to try it, but my mind is drawin a blank when tryin to picture it...

Thanks
On the shirt stays that use the rubber nubs and metal clips, I use a coin in place of the rubber nubs. Place the coin on the inside of you shirt tail. Place the metal clip on the opposite side of the shirt. Push the coin, with shirt material around it, on edge, through the clip opening. Once it is through, turn the coin back so it can't easily fit through the opening. Tug on the shirt stays elastic to pull the clip tight around the coin and shirt.

If you still can't picture it, let me know and I'll try to take some pics of it and show you.

AgentFox
06-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Hidden Tailor smells wierd.

Have yet to use it.

Still getting a new set of shirt stays. They seem to be the old, faithful standard.

Resq14
06-17-2006, 03:21 PM
If you still can't picture it, let me know and I'll try to take some pics of it and show you.

NOW I get it. haha, I've been wondering for weeks!

10-74 S8
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
On the shirt stays that use the rubber nubs and metal clips, I use a coin in place of the rubber nubs. Place the coin on the inside of you shirt tail. Place the metal clip on the opposite side of the shirt. Push the coin, with shirt material around it, on edge, through the clip opening. Once it is through, turn the coin back so it can't easily fit through the opening. Tug on the shirt stays elastic to pull the clip tight around the coin and shirt.

Yup :D They do not come loose from the shirts now.

For those of you that complain about "Y" style with the latch/clasp/silver thingy ripping out the hair on your legs.... Figure out the length you need them to be, then cut the clasp off. Then stitch it back together at the right length with dental floss (impervious to sweat). Voila! No more hair loss. Also do it at the point where the "Y" meets the single strap. Keeps the tension tighter by not allowing the double loop thing to rotate side ways.