PDA

View Full Version : Important Characteristics

MIACO
03-21-2006, 12:25 AM
What do you guys feel are the most important characteristics to have to be a LEO?

halfacop
03-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Honesty
Integrity
compassion
open minded
fairness
confidence

to name a few I guess. How bout you?

MIACO
03-21-2006, 01:50 AM
well................I guess you should be trustworthy and decisive to name a couple. Oh and of course have the ability to make other people answer their own questions :D

Hogboy
03-21-2006, 01:51 AM
A boat..........

Frank Booth
03-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Sense of Humor
Humility
Loyalty
The ability to put things in proper perspective

SHERIFF
03-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Sadly enough, some of the most important characteristics for being a police officer have long gone by the wayside. Namely, height and weight. There was a day and time when 5'2" and 112 pounds didn't cut it.

And you are correct, I am not a very politically correct person. I don't have to be. :D

1sgkelly
03-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Be able to kill.

It is the last thing anyone wants to do; but if you can't the first rule is out the window.

1. I will go home at the end of shift.

It's a hard fact but it's a really hard world with a lot of very bad things out there.

Now I'll just sit back and wait to get flamed by someone who doesn't put their ***** on the line every day.

1*

Sentinel
03-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I think that a LEO has to be many things at different times so too many different characteristics are needed. At some point in your career you will need them all.

But if you asking what I think the top ones are then I would say being a good judge of people. Being able to size people up quickly. Being a good communicator. Being able to express yourself clearly and to be able to understand people that cannot express themselves clearly.

Off course it also depends on where you work and what you do. If you are a SWAT sniper in a major metro area being compassionate is not at the top of your list. Where as being a sex crimes or child sex battery officer might demand such a skill.

Being a patrol cop in a major metro area the skills that helped me most were being able to read people quickly, being able to read a situation quickly, determining the best course of action for all parties involved quickly, being determined to carry out that course of action that I have chosen, having the ability to make those decisions quickly effectively and correctly, and then being able to convey that decision clearly to all parties involved so that they all walk away feeling satisfied that the best thing that could have been done was done. You know ... bullshi**ing, stroking, screwing people and yet being smart enough to have them walk away feeling helped ;)

So I guess the ability to think on your feet. Quickly. Being able to handle any situation that comes your way be it psychological, tactical, emotional, social, physical, etc... and not being afraid to make a decision. ... Oh yeah ... quickly.

PFL
03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
You need a thick skin, decisiveness, and a high tolerance for taking crap from people.

lazycop
03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Reason for Editing.

CincyCop
03-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Be able to kill.

It is the last thing anyone wants to do; but if you can't the first rule is out the window.

1. I will go home at the end of shift.

Absolutely.

I still remember the first minutes of the Cincinnati Police Academy where this was one of the first things brought up by the Commander...If you are not able to take someone's life because that person is likely to cause serious bodily injury or take the life of you or someone else...please leave.

03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Patience, a sense of humor and the ability to accept low pay for doing what you love.