PDA

View Full Version : Correctional Officer Carry?

nicholseddie
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know whether or not Lake County Correctional Officers carry or not? On duty or Off duty?

SIGman1
02-02-2006, 11:33 PM
They do carry off-duty. Their issued weapon is the same as the rest of the department. Why do you ask?

Adubbz
02-03-2006, 06:45 AM
can state CO's carry off duty if they get the FOID card?

nicholseddie
02-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just curious. I am applying for Corrections officer for Lake Co., and someone asked me that question and I didn't know. Thanks again.

nicholseddie
02-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Do you know anyone that works there?

SeVere
02-03-2006, 12:27 PM

The last I knew, the answer is no. They can carry one hour before work and one hour after,to and from work only. They are not peace officers but rather "Conservators of the Peace."

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act may have thrown a wrench into that prohibition legally, but I am not sure if the Department allows for Off Duty Carry. The F.O.I.D. card has nothing to do with one's authority to carry firearms.

Conservators of the peace (http://www.ptb.state.il.us/training/uofcorrections.pdf)

SIGman1
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM

According to the Illinois State Police website:

What is a FOID card?
The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.
Who needs a FOID card?
Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Even peace officers must have a FOID card in order to possess firearms/ammunition. It is their status as a peace officer that gives them the right to carry firearms off duty. Many counties allow their COs to carry off duty because they are sworn peace officers. I do not believe that Illinois State COs can carry off duty, although I could be mistaken.

SeVere
02-03-2006, 06:47 PM
According to the Illinois State Police website:

What is a FOID card?
The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.
Who needs a FOID card?
Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Even peace officers must have a FOID card in order to possess firearms/ammunition. It is their status as a peace officer that gives them the right to carry firearms off duty. Many counties allow their COs to carry off duty because they are sworn peace officers. I do not believe that Illinois State COs can carry off duty, although I could be mistaken.

If I remember correctly, a Peace Officers in the performance of duties are not required to have an FOID Card in their possession (in fact, we were able to purchase Firearms with a letter from the Chief of Police). Rulings have come down however, that Shopping while on duty for example does not constitute official duties, thus creating a de facto requirement to have a FOID card.

This is how I understand it. If you do not have a personally owned firearm, and then take a Department Issued firearm (i.e. Shotgun) for a search warrant only, you technically would not have to have a FOID card. As soon as you do something else like stop for breakfast, stop to pick up a couple of steaks for a back yard barbecue, you would be required to have the card.

Pretty interesting isn't it. LOL.

SIGman1
02-03-2006, 07:24 PM
If I remember correctly, a Peace Officers in the performance of duties are not required to have an FOID Card in their possession (in fact, we were able to purchase Firearms with a letter from the Chief of Police). Rulings have come down however, that Shopping while on duty for example does not constitute official duties, thus creating a de facto requirement to have a FOID card.

This is how I understand it. If you do not have a personally owned firearm, and then take a Department Issued firearm (i.e. Shotgun) for a search warrant only, you technically would not have to have a FOID card. As soon as you do something else like stop for breakfast, stop to pick up a couple of steaks for a back yard barbecue, you would be required to have the card.

Even if the only firearm they own is department issued, they still need a FOID card if they plan on buying ammunition for the firearm. I do not know of a single department that issues ammunition.

The FOID card is not what allows the officer to carry the firearm, merely to possess it in his home or vehicle (unloaded and out of reach), and to purchase ammunition for it.

SeVere
02-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Even if the only firearm they own is department issued, they still need a FOID card if they plan on buying ammunition for the firearm. I do not know of a single department that issues ammunition.

The FOID card is not what allows the officer to carry the firearm, merely to possess it in his home or vehicle (unloaded and out of reach), and to purchase ammunition for it.

Chicago issues ammunition (at least in terms of P.D.'s). It was always easier to just get the FOID Card, but we are issued ammo. I don't know of any correctional agencies that issue ammunition.

I am aware what the FOID card allows. The law and department regulations allow the officer to carry the firearm. The officer cannot be in possession of a firearm without the FOID card if he/she is not in the performance of official duties which now excludes shopping while on an on duty status. In other words on duty no longer means performance of duties.

mksm2000
02-04-2006, 04:41 AM
i remember one of my classmates in the academy that works for Cook County Corrections said they carry their guns off duty for safety reason. For instance some of the felons who completed their time and got out coincendentally bumped you somewhere down the road. At some point you wouldn't think they will cause no harm but think again. You wouldn't know at all if they have some grudge or anything like that to you. So much better if you're prepared. But again, I don't know the policy at Lake County Dept. of Correction or the like.

Huey County
02-04-2006, 04:58 AM
They do carry off-duty. Their issued weapon is the same as the rest of the department. Why do you ask?

Ahh, when did that start? Just talked with a Sergeant from Lake County Corrections (personal friend), they are not allowed to carry off-duty and they are not issued firearms. They are however allowed to carry a firearm one hour before and one after work. Gold Dots are issued to them.

SIGman, are you thinking of Court Security?

SeVere
02-04-2006, 09:55 AM
i remember one of my classmates in the academy that works for Cook County Corrections said they carry their guns off duty for safety reason. For instance some of the felons who completed their time and got out coincendentally bumped you somewhere down the road. At some point you wouldn't think they will cause no harm but think again. You wouldn't know at all if they have some grudge or anything like that to you. So much better if you're prepared. But again, I don't know the policy at Lake County Dept. of Correction or the like.

Cook County DOC and DuPage definitely can carry off duty. Cook County does not require officers to purchase Personally Owned Firearms for Corrections Officers.

Trooper2005
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
In response to many replies on this thread.....Unless the C/O is actually a sworn LEO (some are) they can't carry off duty except while commuting to and from work. I have copied and pasted some excerpts out of the Illinois Compiled Statutes:

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's
Identification Card

Sec. 24‑2. Exemptions.
(a) Subsections 24‑1(a)(3), 24‑1(a)(4) and 24‑1(a)(10) and Section 24‑1.6 do not apply to or affect any of the following:
(1) Peace officers, and any person summoned by a
peace officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while actually engaged in assisting such officer.

(2) Wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons,
penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense, while in the performance of their official duty, or while commuting between their homes and places of employment.

And Just for clarification here is the definition of a "Peace Officer"

(720 ILCS 5/2‑13) (from Ch. 38, par. 2‑13)
Sec. 2‑13. "Peace officer". "Peace officer" means any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for offenses, whether that duty extends to all offenses or is limited to specific offenses.
For purposes of Sections concerning unlawful use of weapons, for the purposes of assisting an Illinois peace officer in an arrest, or when the commission of a felony under Illinois law is directly observed by the person, then officers, agents or employees of the federal government commissioned by federal statute to make arrests for violations of federal criminal laws shall be considered "peace officers" under this Code, including, but not limited to all criminal investigators of:
(1) The United States Department of Justice, The Federal Bureau of Investigation, The Drug Enforcement Agency and The Department of Immigration and Naturalization;
(2) The United States Department of the Treasury, The Secret Service, The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and The Customs Service;
(3) The United States Internal Revenue Service;
(4) The United States General Services Administration;
(5) The United States Postal Service; and
(6) all United States Marshalls or Deputy United States Marshalls whose duties involve the enforcement of federal criminal laws.

I hope this clears up any questions.

mksm2000
02-23-2006, 02:58 PM
so as soon as they come in to work, where do they keep their firearm? do they carry them inside while working in jail?i thought they're not allowed to have a firearm while inside the jail.

Adubbz
02-23-2006, 04:59 PM
so as soon as they come in to work, where do they keep their firearm? do they carry them inside while working in jail?i thought they're not allowed to have a firearm while inside the jail.

i was told they check them in and/or put it in thier locker.............what correction facility's are thier in Lake County they must not be state..........

Future Shield
11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
old topic but interesting.
Illinois department of corrections
IDOC correctional officers have limited peace officer authority only with commited individuas. I dont recall reading anything about LEO with limited powers of arrest, but i may be wrong. Reading the law, it seemed to have loop holes.
I understand that the new law doesn’t extend an officers authority to enforce the law, but it just enables the officer to carry off duty as a protective measure. If you work with criminals, there is a chance that you will bump into them, and its best to be prepared.

Future Shield
11-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Question for CPD, whats the CPD' stand on IDOC Correctional officers carrying off duty?

HapkidoKa
11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
In order to be qualified under LEOSA you have to go through your dept and IDOC does not allow CO's to qualify, I'm not sure about Parole Agents although though I believe they are required to carry on duty but not allowed to carry off duty. As far as CPD's stance on us carrying, if you can do so legally then they cannot bother you but if you are carrying illegally which you most likely will be you will become an inmate. We (CO's) can carry 1 hour before and after duty but it is illegal to have a firearm on state property. Also some county ept's have lock boxes inside the facility but if it doesn't then don't carry because you will have no place to store your weapon and don't think about leaving a gun with ammo in a car at a correctional facility- it's just plain stupid!

HapkidoKa
11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
old topic but interesting.
Illinois department of corrections
IDOC correctional officers have limited peace officer authority only with commited individuas. I dont recall reading anything about LEO with limited powers of arrest, but i may be wrong. Reading the law, it seemed to have loop holes.
I understand that the new law doesn’t extend an officers authority to enforce the law, but it just enables the officer to carry off duty as a protective measure. If you work with criminals, there is a chance that you will bump into them, and its best to be prepared.

Within the scope of our job duties and post description. The law has to be written that way to cover furloughs and writs etc where the inmates are outside of the facility but still commited to the DOC. DR's, AD's and ID's etc. pick up and clarify the vagueness of the ILCS. You should shoot over and read through them if you ever have a minute before or after work.

Me personally I don't want to arrest people and thats why I don't want to be a PO. I would like to be able to carry off duty especiallly with the situation we are facing now.

HapkidoKa
11-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Not talking to you Future I'm throwing it out there in general. Why is the first question everyone who couldn't get on with a PD ask about corrections has to do with off duty carry?

mjw5678
11-15-2008, 12:57 AM
in order to carry off duty you need to be a sworn peace officer. our C/O's are not sworn and can only carry to and from work. Last i heard state C/O's and State Parole are not allowed to carry off duty. I know there was a push to make Parole peace officers not sure if it went through or not.

mjw5678
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
also our PD issues ammunition, i know this is an old thread but some of you need to do some research or ask more ?'s before you mak ASSumptions.

Future Shield
11-15-2008, 10:51 AM
good info Hapkidoka, Thanks for laying it down. I do want to eventually be a PO, so IDOC is a good start for me.

Jail Guard7160
11-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Cook County does not require officers to purchase Personally Owned Firearms for Corrections Officers.

At one time many years ago that was true. I would say at least 10-15 years ago. All Cook County Deputy's Jail and Courts have to purchase there own Firearm.

There are a few old timers that still use the County issue 38 S&W. These revolvers are a total piece of junk. They will be phased out soon.

I believe they are waiting for the all of the Officers who are grandfathered in to retire.

In the near future if you are unable to pass the yearly firearm qualification you will be deputized. and if you cannot pass you will be fired.

Cook County is still in the stone ago of law enforcement. But things are changing slowly.

Jail Guard7160
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=mksm2000;559970]i remember one of my classmates in the academy that works for Cook County Corrections said they carry their guns off duty for safety reason.QUOTE]

Cook County Correctional Officers are Sworn Peace Officers in Illinois. The same As Chicago , Burr Ridge, State Police ETC. We can carry our Firearms in all 50 states thanks to HR 218.

I carry my firearm on and off duty. For my own personal protection. There are to many Carjackings, ATM robberies going on. I would rather be safe then sorry.

Jail Guard7160
11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Chicago issues ammunition (at least in terms of P.D.'s). It was always easier to just get the FOID Card, but we are issued ammo. I don't know of any correctional agencies that issue ammunition.

Cook County Corrections , Courts and PD issue ammo when they have it or if you have clout you can walk into Maywood and pick up a box or two. Lately County has been broke and we have to purchase our own ammo. At least we can claim it on our taxes.

Does CPD give ammo out yearly? and how many rounds do they give you?

gundog
11-15-2008, 01:46 PM
At one time many years ago that was true. I would say at least 10-15 years ago. All Cook County Deputy's Jail and Courts have to purchase there own Firearm.

There are a few old timers that still use the County issue 38 S&W. These revolvers are a total piece of junk. They will be phased out soon.

I believe they are waiting for the all of the Officers who are grandfathered in to retire.

In the near future if you are unable to pass the yearly firearm qualification you will be deputized. and if you cannot pass you will be fired.

Cook County is still in the stone ago of law enforcement. But things are changing slowly.
That will be about 20 more years.

SeVere
11-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Cook County Corrections , Courts and PD issue ammo when they have it or if you have clout you can walk into Maywood and pick up a box or two. Lately County has been broke and we have to purchase our own ammo. At least we can claim it on our taxes.

Does CPD give ammo out yearly? and how many rounds do they give you?

They give out ammo at qualification yearly. A Box.

D.T.O.M
11-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Just so the original poster knows, unless things have changed in the last 3 years, Lake County are NOT allowed to carry off duty. They are not Deputized, and have no powers of arrest. I went through the academy with a few Lake county CO's, and they were not deputized.

As far as the northern counties the only ones in the "chicago area" that can carry are DuPage, Cook, Dekalb, and Kendall.

Lake, McHenry, Will, Winnebago, Kane and Kankakee counties are not deputized and do not carry off duty.

I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages.

mjw5678
11-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Just so the original poster knows, unless things have changed in the last 3 years, Lake County are NOT allowed to carry off duty. They are not Deputized, and have no powers of arrest. I went through the academy with a few Lake county CO's, and they were not deputized.

As far as the northern counties the only ones in the "chicago area" that can carry are DuPage, Cook, Dekalb, and Kendall.

Lake, McHenry, Will, Winnebago, Kane and Kankakee counties are not deputized and do not carry off duty.

I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages.

the C/O's in kane are not Deputized, they are only considered Correctional Officers.

ownerop
11-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Illinois has to be the most *** backwards state in the union. To not allow a Parole Agent to carry off duty has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, a parole agent is probably at the highest risk of all in law enforcement to be attacked off duty, every single person they deal with is a guaranteed felon and they live and work among felons all day long. As bad as California is in regards to gun laws, at least here CO's and Parole Agents are sworn peace officer and are allowed to carry on and off duty and also fall under HR 218.

mjw5678
11-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Illinois has to be the most *** backwards state in the union. To not allow a Parole Agent to carry off duty has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, a parole agent is probably at the highest risk of all in law enforcement to be attacked off duty, every single person they deal with is a guaranteed felon and they live and work among felons all day long. As bad as California is in regards to gun laws, at least here CO's and Parole Agents are sworn peace officer and are allowed to carry on and off duty and also fall under HR 218.

YEA THIS STATE IS NOT VERY POLICE FRIENDLY

D.T.O.M
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
the C/O's in kane are not Deputized, they are only considered Correctional Officers.

Nope, go look into it, when the new sheriff was elected he changed that.

Heres the kicker though....... they are deputies by name only. They still are not allowed to carry off duty nor do they have powers off duty.

I have a few friends who still work for Kane that I went through the academy with, i was stunned when this changed.

Straight from the Kane County Sheriff website........

"As a Deputy Corrections Officer, qualified candidates will be trained to operate a new state-of-the-art correctional facility. Duties include monitoring detainees to ensure a safe and secure environment for Sheriff's Department personnel, civilian staff, and those incarcerated.

Additional assignments include...

Corrections Response Team
Courthouse/Lock-up
Evidence Technician
Field Training Officer
Gang Intelligence Unit
Intake/Transportation "

HapkidoKa
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM

The kicker is that IL helped pioneer HR 218! Also with the excpetion of a few states and less than a handful of depts that qualify under HR 218, no state CO's and PA's are allowed to carry off duty. The majority of state DOC employees are unarmed when off duty unless they are strapped up illegally.

HapkidoKa
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Heres the kicker though....... they are deputies by name only. They still are not allowed to carry off duty nor do they have powers off duty.

I have a few friends who still work for Kane that I went through the academy with, i was stunned when this changed.

"As a Deputy Corrections Officer, qualified candidates will be trained to operate a new state-of-the-art correctional facility. Duties include monitoring detainees to ensure a safe and secure environment for Sheriff's Department personnel, civilian staff, and those incarcerated.

Courthouse/Lock-up
Evidence Technician
Field Training Officer
Gang Intelligence Unit
Intake/Transportation "

I've spoken with a few Kane County guys and their job title is Deputy Correctional Officer or Jail Deputy but they are not deputized. As you said it's for namesake only.

mjw5678
11-17-2008, 02:00 PM

Courthouse/Lock-up
Evidence Technician
Field Training Officer
Gang Intelligence Unit
Intake/Transportation "

He gave them a name change thats it, They are NOT DEPUTIZED SWORN PEACE OFFICERS. THEY ARE STILL ONLY KNOWN AS CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS, EVEN THERE OFFICE ID'S STATE CORRECTIONAL OFFICER. Dont believe everything the website says, it also says patrols top out is 72 after 3yrs and you get a take home car. But neither is true.

D.T.O.M
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
He gave them a name change thats it, They are NOT DEPUTIZED SWORN PEACE OFFICERS. THEY ARE STILL ONLY KNOWN AS CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS, EVEN THERE OFFICE ID'S STATE CORRECTIONAL OFFICER. Dont believe everything the website says, it also says patrols top out is 72 after 3yrs and you get a take home car. But neither is true.

Some one doesnt know how to read........

I never said they were sworn peace officers.......... read my words correctly.

AHEM......."Heres the kicker though....... they are deputies by name only. They still are not allowed to carry off duty nor do they have powers off duty."

And the original post........

" I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages."

The power of observation astounds.

mjw5678
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=M.C.S.D;1499919]Some one doesnt know how to read........

AHEM......."Heres the kicker though....... they are deputies by name only. They still are not allowed to carry off duty nor do they have powers off duty."

" I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages."

The power of observation astounds.[/QUOTE

HEY JACK***** I WORK THERE. THEY ARE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS THEY ADVERTISE DEPUTY TO DRAW PEOPLE TO APPLY. BADGES AND ID'S STILL SAY DEPUTY, THE C/O'S IN COOK AND DUPAGE ARE TRUE DEPUTIES WHO HAVE ARREST POWERS AND ARE PEACE OFFICERS.

SeVere
11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=M.C.S.D;1499919]Some one doesnt know how to read........

The power of observation astounds.[/QUOTE

HEY JACK***** I WORK THERE. THEY ARE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS THEY ADVERTISE DEPUTY TO DRAW PEOPLE TO APPLY. BADGES AND ID'S STILL SAY DEPUTY, THE C/O'S IN COOK AND DUPAGE ARE TRUE DEPUTIES WHO HAVE ARREST POWERS AND ARE PEACE OFFICERS.

I think that's what MCSD was saying. For the love of GOD, re-read his post!

mjw5678
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM

READ HIS ABOVE FIRST POST, HE SAID THEY WERE DEPUTIZED. BUT IF THEY WERE DEPUTIES THEY WOULD BE PEACE OFFICERS.
ANY OF THE COOK COUNTY GUYS WANNA JUMP IN AND EXPLAIN IT TO THESE GUYS.

Euclid47
11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
There is no specific law regarding what "deputization" means according to the state. Any law enforcement agency has the ability to allow or disallow its employees to carry and or have arrest powers outside of work. Sheriff's departments have a little extra play with that sort of thing whereas other agency types do not. Which is why the bill was introduced a while back to standardize all deputies as police officers (which I believe failed).

If the will county sheriff wants to call correctional officers deputies, but not grant them any extras that normally would be associated with that title, its his perrogative. Deputy means assistant to a public official. While common usage has led to the title of deputy generally being the same as policeman, its not always the case.

ownerop
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
The kicker is that IL helped pioneer HR 218! Also with the excpetion of a few states and less than a handful of depts that qualify under HR 218, no state CO's and PA's are allowed to carry off duty. The majority of state DOC employees are unarmed when off duty unless they are strapped up illegally.

sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying that no State has Parole agents/ probation officers or Correctional officer that qualify under HR218? I can assure you that the California dept of Corrections and Rehabiliation allows every single one of their Parole Agents and Correctional officers to carry off duty without exception and they qualify under State Statute and HR 218 according to our Attorney General. In California they are sworn peace officers under the California penal code, they also allow their retired officers to carry concealed under State statute and HR 218.

DEcop989
11-18-2008, 12:45 AM
I think he means no COs or PAs in Illinois. A few state's officers are qualified - California, Delaware, New York, and New Jersey are the only ones I know of.

ownerop
11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I think he means no COs or PAs in Illinois. A few state's officers are qualified - California, Delaware, New York, and New Jersey are the only ones I know of.

That is just mind boggling that these states don't have their Parole Agents and Correctional Officers safety a priority.

HapkidoKa
11-18-2008, 01:47 AM
sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying that no State has Parole agents/ probation officers or Correctional officer that qualify under HR218? I can assure you that the California dept of Corrections and Rehabiliation allows every single one of their Parole Agents and Correctional officers to carry off duty without exception and they qualify under State Statute and HR 218 according to our Attorney General. In California they are sworn peace officers under the California penal code, they also allow their retired officers to carry concealed under State statute and HR 218.

Maybe I used bad grammar but I was trying to say that there are a handful of state CO's who for what ever reason are legally allowed to carry off duty but the majority of us are not allowed to carry even with HR 218.

D.T.O.M
11-18-2008, 02:17 AM

READ HIS ABOVE FIRST POST, HE SAID THEY WERE DEPUTIZED. BUT IF THEY WERE DEPUTIES THEY WOULD BE PEACE OFFICERS.
ANY OF THE COOK COUNTY GUYS WANNA JUMP IN AND EXPLAIN IT TO THESE GUYS.

Listen assclown I dont know how you ever made it past FTO but you deffinatly will never make it to detective.

I never said they were fully sworn DEPUTIES, you need to learn how to read........ I said the EXACT same thing you just said...........

Here is my original post....... and Ill even bold the part you arent looking at for you..... just so you can see is captain obvious.......

AND I QUOTE..........

"As far as the northern counties the only ones in the "chicago area" that can carry are DuPage, Cook, Dekalb, and Kendall.

I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages. ".

Oh wait ill make it a little more obvious and clear for those of us who do not know how to interprit the written word.

I know will and Kane officers are called Deputies, but it is by name only, they are not sworn peace officers nor are they given carry privilages.

That better?

IM really glad Kane has officers who are as observant as you are. I know I feel safer.

And for the record, I was a McHenry CO......... I know Kane arent deputies, but are called so in name sake only....... I delt with them on a daily basis.

Since when is reading and interpriting data not a requirement to be hired as a deputy?
Oh and good for you, you are a road deputy..... *round of applause*

mjw5678
11-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Listen assclown I dont know how you ever made it past FTO but you deffinatly will never make it to detective.

I never said they were fully sworn DEPUTIES, you need to learn how to read........ I said the EXACT same thing you just said...........

Here is my original post....... and Ill even bold the part you arent looking at for you..... just so you can see is captain obvious.......

AND I QUOTE..........

"As far as the northern counties the only ones in the "chicago area" that can carry are DuPage, Cook, Dekalb, and Kendall.

I know Will and Kane officers are "deputized" but its name sake only. They are not given powers of arrest and carry privilages. ".

Oh wait ill make it a little more obvious and clear for those of us who do not know how to interprit the written word.

I know will and Kane officers are called Deputies, but it is by name only, they are not sworn peace officers nor are they given carry privilages.

That better?

IM really glad Kane has officers who are as observant as you are. I know I feel safer.

And for the record, I was a McHenry CO......... I know Kane arent deputies, but are called so in name sake only....... I delt with them on a daily basis.

Since when is reading and interpriting data not a requirement to be hired as a deputy?
Oh and good for you, you are a road deputy..... *round of applause*

wow assclown, are you not the one that USED to work at Mchenry Co. yeah enough said, now go play detention aid in Orland.

Made1981
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
wow assclown, are you not the one that USED to work at Mchenry Co. yeah enough said, now go play detention aid in Orland.

It looks like mjw5678 is making more friends! I think you have managed to offend Officers form every agency in IL.

Jail Guard7160
11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Must be related to D Mack

gundog
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
So let me get this straight,if your a deputized deputy then...oh never mind.;)

BlackJack
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe I used bad grammar but I was trying to say that there are a handful of state CO's who for what ever reason are legally allowed to carry off duty but the majority of us are not allowed to carry even with HR 218.

Yep HK, a couple of years on the tac team, try out for TRT, and if you make it, only then are you allowed to carry off duty. Why the "average" state CO isn't allowed to carry I'm guessing is due to the low standards set by the state. I hate to say it, but I agree with it. I don't trust a lot of people watching my back in the towers or on the catwalk temporarily with a gun!! Imagine the few people that squeaked by during range week carrying off duty, which pretty much the majority had no experience with weapons. The few of us with extensive weapons training and the maturity level to continuously train for our families safety will just have to suffer. The only thing we can do is stay alert to our surroundings, beat it into our families heads about the possibility of the threat of danger to them, and stay in good shape in case you have to fight or run. Also keep in mind that Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states left in the U.S. that don't allow CCW.

D.T.O.M
11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Laughable.

BlackJack
11-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Laughable.

Sadly so.

HapkidoKa
11-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Unconstitutional and a clear violation of federal law. See my post on OUR forum.

Future Shield
11-22-2008, 12:52 PM
well im carrying my glocks, hahahaaha

RookieJG
11-22-2008, 08:28 PM

And what are you going to do when CPD or a suburban department arrests you for UUW?

SeVere
11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
And what are you going to do when CPD or a suburban department arrests you for UUW?

Lose his/her job.

Jail Guard7160
11-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Just keep it concealed until you really need it. I doubt you will get frisked for a traffic stop unless you are D.W.B.

By the way D.W.B. stands for this not the other one.

DRIVING WHILE BUZZED

BlackJack
11-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Just keep it concealed until you really need it. I doubt you will get frisked for a traffic stop unless you are D.W.B.

By the way D.W.B. stands for this not the other one.

DRIVING WHILE BUZZED

Not that I would carry while all of this is being debated, but I agree. One would have to first of all, give a police officer a reason to get stopped and searched in order to be arrested.

Future Shield
11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Im not going to carry until i have my lawyers input on the LEOSA. i work to hard to get this darn job. ill keep u posted.

Federal legislation trumps A.D's, I.D'S.

State trumped by LEOSA
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94831

Future Shield
11-23-2008, 01:17 PM
i just want to be able to protect myself, and my family. IDOC is not like working at the local market, i will end up bumping into these cons in the world.

BIPDTRK
11-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Blue Island does!

gundog
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Just buy yourself a real nice knife and practice with it.Remember a knife is a lot quieter then a gun.;)

Future Shield
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
i carry pepper spray and a whistle, it feels gay

j/k about the whistle.

HapkidoKa
11-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Im not going to carry until i have my lawyers input on the LEOSA. i work to hard to get this darn job. ill keep u posted.

Federal legislation trumps A.D's, I.D'S.

State trumped by LEOSA
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94831