PDA

View Full Version : No Polygraph

LSExplorer22
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Besides NYPD and MPD, are there any police departments that don't give polygraphs. I have passed and failed a few, and I hate the anxiety i go through each and every time. Every time i failed, they were never for the same question. Thanks for your help.

slopegrrrl
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Newark Delaware
Ocean Pines Maryland
Do you mean nationally or locally?

As a general rule: smaller departments are less likely to utilize polygraphs however, my department of 13 required one.

NYPDjock
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Who's MPD?

irishlad2nv
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Besides NYPD and MPD, are there any police departments that don't give polygraphs. I have passed and failed a few, and I hate the anxiety i go through each and every time. Every time i failed, they were never for the same question. Thanks for your help.
If you are failing each time, then I am sorry to say this but it has something to do with your intergrity and you should look for another career field! To look for a specific agency that does not poly, well then I am sorry to say this, you don't deserve to look for a job in LE, because it looks like you are hiding something. Whether that is true or not, I do not know, however, it does seem that is has something to do with your background!

HolyRoller
01-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Our sheriff's office doesn't do poly or psych tests. There are other ways of evaluating people.

Most of us either grew up here or have family here. I moved back 3.5 years ago. My family has lived in this county for 60+ years. The chief deputy knew my granddad from 50 years ago probably, and sometimes accidentally calls me by my dad's name.

A lot of us went to BLET at the community college here too. The instructors are all well known in the LE community and their word carries a lot of weight.

I like to think that one deputy at least put in a good word for me if anybody asked him. He was the school resource officer before he retired. One time I made a comment about getting mad if I ever got pepper-sprayed. He said I've never seen you get mad. That compliment brought me up short, and I said well, I just don't have a lot to be mad about. I'm pretty thankful for what I have.

mattph4716
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Newark Delaware
Ocean Pines Maryland
Do you mean nationally or locally?

As a general rule: smaller departments are less likely to utilize polygraphs however, my department of 13 required one.

Huh....I lived in Salisbury for a while and went to the beach a lot but never knew Ocean Pines had a PD.

BaltoCITYPD
01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
When you said MPD did you mean MPDC? Metroploitan Police in DC? They do not give a POLY from what I hear.

irishlad2nv
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Huh....I lived in Salisbury for a while and went to the beach a lot but never knew Ocean Pines had a PD.
Yeah very small department though. Mainly watching over the retarted I mean retired folks living there.

Mtclem4
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Michigan Law prevents anyone from taking a polygraph for pre-employment purposes. As a current DS and seeing them done to criminals I think they are a great tool for the extremely guilty. You can mind f#$% to admission.

Personally their inadmissible in court for a reason. Why make someone incriminate themself for a job. A good background investigator should be able to determine whether or not someone is hireable based on their BI, CCH, credit score and personal references.

kku919
01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
lol polys aren't that bad but i can say they are not accurate. i just took my first friday man i fell asleep. but MPdc does not have one.

RabbitMPD
01-30-2006, 11:34 PM
If you are failing each time, then I am sorry to say this but it has something to do with your intergrity and you should look for another career field!
Actually, you are WRONG! I took 4 poly's (all different departments) when I was going through the hiring processes. I past two and failed two. The first one I passed. The second one I had the same examiner and almost identical questions and FAILED! Turns out, I'm a thief. I didn

irishlad2nv
01-30-2006, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=RabbitMPD]Actually, you are WRONG! I took 4 poly's (all different departments) when I was going through the hiring processes. I past two and failed two. The first one I passed. The second one I had the same examiner and almost identical questions and FAILED! Turns out, I'm a thief. I didn

NewCenturion
01-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Rabbit you are correct, I was never called a rapist, liar, etc after taking a poly because the ones I have taken to get where I am at now in LE, I passed. No questions or remarks afterwards. So I am sorry to hear that you were called a rapist, if that did happen? But then you need to sit there and think, why would they have called you one to begin with?

I am not going to get into a ****ing match as to why departments poly or utilize the CVSA, however, if you feel they are turning down good applicants, well you are allowed to, however a poly is just another tool to be utilized during a background.

Departments who do utilize the poly and CVSA do outweigh those who do not. I am 110% with using either of them to weed-out bad applicants.

I would just consider myself lucky getting hired, and leave it at that. That seems to be a key element in this game. I realize your position (a bit high and mighty as usual, but mostly correct on the balance, except for your fanatical and misguided polygraph fetish!), about not wanting to give away trade secrets and so forth, but unfortunately factual science (not junk science) does not back up your opinion.

As stated above, a thorough BI, credit, records check, etc. yields FACTUAL background information, and a realistic profile of the applicant. The poly/CVSA are good BI tools for getting not too bright applicants scared enough to make an admission. It is 50/50 at best (US v. Scheffer) which basically means departments are DQ'ng and letting in 50 percent of the wrong people. Hopefully functional MRI (fMRI) will be the magic bullet you're pinning your hopes on to maintain law enforcement hiring standards, it is hoped to be proved in trials as 90% accurate. Significantly better, unless your one of the 10% (oh wait, you could still be that 10% lying and the machine doesn't catch it). The box was never intended for "verifying" a lifetime of experiences. When it is somewhat useful is for theft investigations by employers, and perhaps used as a divining rod by investigators in a major crime. Anything else is laughable...

Also, obviously none of this, poly in particular, is a crystal ball (Rampart, etc. etc. etc.) Bad officers are an abomination, and a rare anomaly. Competent supervisory oversight is the only reliable method of deterring departmental nightmares. I don't think I'm helping the BGs by stating it is total BS, they already know this. It's good at scaring stupid people into admission and/or confession. A smart interrogator will yield volumes more ADMISSABLE evidence than hooking someone up to the box. What does that say about using it to hire someone?

I am all about maintaining standards, and screening folks thoroughly, but to believe in the polygraph is to believe in the man who created it: He also created Wonder Woman. Just because it's in policies & procedures, and there's a precedent, and most departments use it, does not mean it is effective, or will be around forever. Technology will finally replace the box with something a little more accurate. Which brings up about a 1000 other legal and ethical problems by the way. Should you stop doing real, actual investigative work, and rely on technology exclusively? I think: Negative Ghostwriter...

PS You're not allowed to complain about recruiting being down, and the unavailabilty of qualified personnel either. But hey, at least "standards" are being maintained, right? Riiiiggghhht...

PPS I took mine and passed (I guess, whatever), and used all of my willpower to keep from smirking or laughing out loud during the process. The Kleenex on the table (for when I "broke down under questioning) was a particularly nice touch!

rashim
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
MPDC does poly, according to their website.

cwillis0001
09-22-2006, 06:15 PM
MPD does not, I assure you. They say a lot on their recruiting site that isn't quite accurate.

Other departments that don't:

Baltimore City
Philadelphia
Chicago

irishlad2nv
09-22-2006, 09:13 PM
MPD does not, I assure you. They say a lot on their recruiting site that isn't quite accurate.

Baltimore City
Philadelphia
Chicago
Baltimore City Police do indeed use a poly!

PPDMO373
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
If you are failing each time, then I am sorry to say this but it has something to do with your intergrity and you should look for another career field! To look for a specific agency that does not poly, well then I am sorry to say this, you don't deserve to look for a job in LE, because it looks like you are hiding something. Whether that is true or not, I do not know, however, it does seem that is has something to do with your background!

I know lots of LEOs that have failed a poly or two (myself included) that got hired on.

Hell....one PD I was trying to get on with had a 100% FAIL RATE because the operator in question was some flunkie that retired from a very large agency and made his money off of polys.......more fails gave him more cash in his pocket.

The Chief of this particular Dept. called me about 2 months later and apoligized.....and offered me a job. I declined as I was doing something else already in the LE field....

Polys/CVA are junk science........and shouldn't be used at all......

irishlad2nv
09-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I know lots of LEOs that have failed a poly or two (myself included) that got hired on.

Hell....one PD I was trying to get on with had a 100% FAIL RATE because the operator in question was some flunkie that retired from a very large agency and made his money off of polys.......more fails gave him more cash in his pocket.

The Chief of this particular Dept. called me about 2 months later and apoligized.....and offered me a job. I declined as I was doing something else already in the LE field....

Polys/CVA are junk science........and shouldn't be used at all......
I am leaning more towards disliking the poly more and more now that...maybe as I get older I get wiser..lol...I do feel you on that one though PPDMO!

LBomb
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM

Baltimore City
Philadelphia
Chicago
Philadelphia? I know that 10 years ago they did as I took it and the following is on their CURRENT website:Police Polygraph Unit

he Polygraph Unit has been in existence in the Philadelphia Police Department since 1953 , with one (1) examiner and one (1) instrument. During its first year approximately two hundred (200) examinations were conducted. At the present time the Polygraph Unit is part of the Forensic Sciences Division.
The Polygraph Unit serves as an investigative aid for criminal investigations, conducting examinations of suspects, victims, witnesses and informants; and the unit is a component in the hiring process of Police applicants and personnel seeking reinstatement. Unit services are also provided to outside jurisdictions, upon approval of the Police Commissioner.

The Polygraph Unit also maintains voice recordings of all sworn officers in the department for voice-print analysis if required.

During the year, approximately 120 investigative examinations and 2300 police applicant examinations are conducted.

------Might wanna check your sources!

cwillis0001
09-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I admit I was going off of a word of mouth source there. Sorry for inaccurate info.

PPDMO373
09-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I am leaning more towards disliking the poly more and more now that...maybe as I get older I get wiser..lol...I do feel you on that one though PPDMO!

Have I used them in the course of an investigation....? Yeap....as it can be a good tool at times. You just can't focus on the results as being completely accurate.......

My problem is with Agencies that use them and take the results as gospel.....

TPO
09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
it's intimidation. you'll be more truthful if you think they'll find out. polygraph is like a chiropractor. sure there is some tiny bit of science to them, but for the most part, it's not readily accepted to be something that's completely accurate.

there are plenty of people who lie on their background packet, then admit to all sorts of stuff in the polygraph. it's just a way to keep you honest. i don't have a problem with them, as long as the agency is using them for that purpose. if an agency uses them with the intention of making a hiring decision from the results, i wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Mike0913
10-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Well I took one for a department and passed and then failed another one. I have never used any drugs in my life, it asked me if I have ever used hard drugs and I said no. I passed that question then it asked if I ever used methamphetamine and I again said no. The polygrapher said I was lying about that. I hate polys they are useless. I swear on the bible I've never used meth. I know Memphis doesn't poly or check your credit history. A recruiter there told me that

beachcop05
10-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Well I took one for a department and passed and then failed another one. I have never used any drugs in my life, it asked me if I have ever used hard drugs and I said no. I passed that question then it asked if I ever used methamphetamine and I again said no. The polygrapher said I was lying about that. I hate polys they are useless. I swear on the bible I've never used meth. I know Memphis doesn't poly or check your credit history. A recruiter there told me that

You realize this is a 6 year old thread, right?

slsteiner88
10-18-2012, 05:58 PM

Lots of methheads would probably swear on a bible that they don't smoke meth if that situation called for it.

TheTick
10-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Back from the dead!